PDA

View Full Version : What is the reason for not having an add album scan.

Nonreality
2008-06-22, 12:26
I'm just wondering why you can't just add a single album instead of a scan for new ect... It seems it would be fairly simple but maybe thats why I'm not a programmer. Many times I run across albums that will have a simple mistake. Today I found I had two of Prodigy's Fat Of The Land albums showing up in SC. It turned out that one song didn't have a capital "t" in the album title making it show up as a separate album. No big deal, fixed in 30 seconds. But now fixing in SC ...big deal. Another rescan. Even the look for new adds is about 10 to 15 minutes. Why could'nt there be an add album feature to the scan? I mean even Itunes can do that! You go to the album in your tree and hit add. As much as I'm sure there is a reason it would be nice to know why.

egd
2008-06-22, 13:26
fully agree, I've asked for this many a time...

JJZolx
2008-06-22, 13:47
I'm just wondering why you can't just add a single album instead of a scan for new ect... It seems it would be fairly simple but maybe thats why I'm not a programmer. Many times I run across albums that will have a simple mistake. Today I found I had two of Prodigy's Fat Of The Land albums showing up in SC. It turned out that one song didn't have a capital "t" in the album title making it show up as a separate album. No big deal, fixed in 30 seconds. But now fixing in SC ...big deal. Another rescan. Even the look for new adds is about 10 to 15 minutes. Why could'nt there be an add album feature to the scan? I mean even Itunes can do that! You go to the album in your tree and hit add. As much as I'm sure there is a reason it would be nice to know why.

Try using browse by Music Folder and go to your the album's folder in the tree. If it's a new album it will be added. Although it may not pick up the album artwork - I can't remember if this has been fixed yet.

This should also work if you've changed an album or tracks within the album. You may have to descend one more level to pick up changes in individual tracks.

It's not perfect, though. A lot of times it will keep the old data instead of throwing it out, so you may still have two albums with the same name. If you fiddle with it long enough in browse Music Folder, by clicking on non-existant tracks, eventually you might clear out the old data.

Even the new/changed scan doesn't always work well for simple tagging changes. That leaves a full clear/rescan as the only really reliable way to get the SC library straightened out.

Nonreality
2008-06-22, 14:04
Try using browse by Music Folder and go to your the album's folder in the tree. If it's a new album it will be added. Although it may not pick up the album artwork - I can't remember if this has been fixed yet.

This should also work if you've changed an album or tracks within the album. You may have to descend one more level to pick up changes in individual tracks.

It's not perfect, though. A lot of times it will keep the old data instead of throwing it out, so you may still have two albums with the same name. If you fiddle with it long enough in browse Music Folder, by clicking on non-existant tracks, eventually you might clear out the old data.

Even the new/changed scan doesn't always work well for simple tagging changes. That leaves a full clear/rescan as the only really reliable way to get the SC library straightened out.Yes that works mostly if you haven't added the album already and isn't a great work around. It usually leaves the problem album still in the library. It just seems like it should be simple to correct something and scan or add it.