PDA

View Full Version : Can I go back to 6.5?

Brian Abbott
2008-06-22, 02:43
Hi

Running an SB1 and an SB3 from an XP-based server over 802.11g.

I updated a fortnight ago from 6.5.4 to 7.0.1 and am regretting it, because the audio stream now suffers intermittent breaks (like when the Microwave oven is on) on both units. Apart from the software update nothing has changed and I can't see any obvious reason why this would happen.

Anyone know of either a fix for the problem or a way to revert to 6.5?

Thanks

funkstar
2008-06-22, 03:28
For older Slimserver installs, have a look here:
http://www.slimdevices.com/downloads/

Goes all the way back to v3.0 :D

The wireless problem in interesting though. There have been a few isolated reports of breakup with 7.0.x, but not many. It would be good if we could get this tracked down. That way everyone benefits, including yourself if you find a good reason to use SC7 over SS6.5.x :)

Brian Abbott
2008-06-22, 06:41
It would be good if we could get this tracked down. That way everyone benefits, including yourself if you find a good reason to use SC7 over SS6.5.x :)

It wouldn't fuss me too much to go back to 6.5, but if it could be sorted in 7 that'd be better.

And thanks for the d/l link; I'll be using it if nothing better comes up.

Siduhe
2008-06-22, 06:52
What kind of server are you using and what kind of files are you trying to play? As you have an SB1, are you transcoding any audio formats?

Audio breakup with one version of the software but not another may suggest that your server is struggling to keep up. SC7 is a bit more resource hungry than 6.5.

Couple of suggestions - try changing the server priority in SC (decrease and increase) and see if this makes a difference. Also do you have any other programs running (esp. antivirus or firewall software). What happens to the audio when you switch these off?

Brian Abbott
2008-06-22, 07:28
What kind of server are you using and what kind of files are you trying to play? As you have an SB1, are you transcoding any audio formats?

Audio breakup with one version of the software but not another may suggest that your server is struggling to keep up. SC7 is a bit more resource hungry than 6.5.

Couple of suggestions - try changing the server priority in SC (decrease and increase) and see if this makes a difference. Also do you have any other programs running (esp. antivirus or firewall software). What happens to the audio when you switch these off?

XP Pro server, 2 yr old high-spec box (2Gb RAM), usual things on it including a/v - I'll try switching this off. FLAC and some MP3. As I say, it was 100% OK before.

Where do I change the server priority?

Siduhe
2008-06-22, 07:39
Settings, Advanced, Performance, Server Priority. Though with that spec of box, you shouldn't have too many problems unless there is something resource hungry running at the same time, or an on-access virus scanner. Sounds like it may not be your issue.

That being so, I'm not sure why SC7 should behave differently. Could be a straightforward wireless network issue (i.e. a neighbour has started up a wireless network on the same channel as yours but coincidentally at the same time as you upgraded to SC7). Would be interesting to see if it improves if you do go back to SS6.5.

Brian Abbott
2008-06-22, 07:58
Thanks.

I'll try it with the priority at -20 (counterintuitive isn't it?) and the a/v off and see what difference it makes this next week.