PDA

View Full Version : Duet bathroom Amplifier advise needed

SilverRS8
2008-06-21, 08:11
I want to renew the ceiling in the bathroom and build in a waterproof speaker connected to a duet. I don't want to have to turn on a amplifier before I could use the system so I was thinking about placing a car amplifier on top of the ceiling driving the Duet. But then again I have to look for a decent powersupply.

Do any of you have any other ideas or tips what I could use? Is there a cheap small formfactor amplifier available? Sound quality doesn't matter that much it just has to be cheap (its only a bathroom).

Nonreality
2008-06-21, 08:37
I want to renew the ceiling in the bathroom and build in a waterproof speaker connected to a duet. I don't want to have to turn on a amplifier before I could use the system so I was thinking about placing a car amplifier on top of the ceiling driving the Duet. But then again I have to look for a decent powersupply.

Do any of you have any other ideas or tips what I could use? Is there a cheap small formfactor amplifier available? Sound quality doesn't matter that much it just has to be cheap (its only a bathroom).Here is a link that seems to fit your needs perfectly. I've heard that they sound very good for the money and that you need to spend about 6x to beat it. I haven't used or heard one so I can't say for sure but worth a look. One of the cool things is that it can be run on batteries too for that camping trip. As long as you pair it with efficient speakers it should work fine. http://www.thinkgeek.com/electronics/audio/9c60/ If you get one we'll need feedback. :)

SuperQ
2008-06-21, 15:15
Yes, there are a few good class D amplifiers for what you're trying to do. The sonic impact is the one I use for my bedroom setup.

cliveb
2008-06-22, 01:05
If the SBR and amp are going inside the ceiling, you don't need any casework. Perhaps this class-D amplifier module will do the job:

http://www.sure-electronics.com/product/goods.php?id=12

The vendor sells it through ebay for about $25 - just do search on "TA2024" and you should find it pretty quickly.

SilverRS8
2008-06-22, 03:21
Thanks for your reactions. I think the sonic impact comes very close. Because of the moist environment when placed in between the ceiling I will place the SBR and amplifier in the attic where they will be always on because the will be stuffed away somewhere.

The Sonic Impact seems difficult to order in the Netherlands. Any other suggestions like the Sonic Impact?

peter
2008-06-22, 05:01
SilverRS8 wrote:
> Thanks for your reactions. I think the sonic impact comes very close.
> Because of the moist environment when placed in between the ceiling I
> will place the SBR and amplifier in the attic where they will be always
> on because the will be stuffed away somewhere.
>
> The Sonic Impact seems difficult to order in the Netherlands. Any other
> suggestions like the Sonic Impact?
>

I found a German seller on E-bay.
He shipped to Holland without problems.

The T-Amp is very quiet so it's well suited to being left on (no
perceptible hiss or hum). I have one in my bedroom.

Regards,
Peter