PDA

View Full Version : Bug 4770, who cares anyway?

andlauer
2008-06-19, 11:52
Please let me share my state of mind about bug 4770 (http://bugs.slimdevices.com/show_bug.cgi?id=4770) with you:

I am not amused. This is an advertized feature, and the main reason why I bought my Squeezebox, but it never worked. I was confident that I would be fixed soon, but it is more than a year now, and it keeps being shoved to a later target. If this piece of code cannot be fixed, then rewrite it from scratch, it should not take you too long, if you really wanted to solve the problem.

You may think I have no reason to be upset. But I have lost patience, along with any hope that this documented, reproductible, acknowledged problem will ever be solved. And I am letting it know: Squeezebox is too complicated, even for the programmers at Slimedevices.

Andlauer

peter
2008-06-19, 12:10
andlauer wrote:
> Please let me share my state of mind about bug 4770
> (http://bugs.slimdevices.com/show_bug.cgi?id=4770) with you:
>
> I am not amused. This is an advertized feature, and the main reason why
> I bought my Squeezebox, but it never worked. I was confident that I
> would be fixed soon, but it is more than a year now, and it keeps being
> shoved to a later target. If this piece of code cannot be fixed, then
> rewrite it from scratch, it should not take you too long, if you really
> wanted to solve the problem.
>
> You may think I have no reason to be upset. But I have lost patience,
> along with any hope that this documented, reproductible, acknowledged
> problem will ever be solved. And I am letting it know: Squeezebox is
> too complicated, even for the programmers at Slimedevices.
>
*yawn*

Nice, huh, that you can at least shout at the SD guys and be reasonably
sure they'll actually read it? Be glad that they intend to fix it. Ever
tried filing a bug with Nokia? Ever got any replies? No, I thought, so.
You haven't even tried.

FWIW, I use playlists with radiostations (one) a lot, and I've had no
such problems.
You can sell your duet on ebay for close to what you paid for it.

Regards,
Peter

andlauer
2008-06-19, 13:18
Thank you Peter for your reply.

I do not quite understand what Nokia has to do with my original post, the bug it refers to, or the way Slimdevices handles it.

I am glad you do not experience any problem with your playlists with radio stations. Do you import them from iTunes? If you do, maybe the problem is solved and neither I nor Slimdevices are aware of it. After all I am asking for is, that the problem is solved.

Finally, I do not understand why I should resell my Squeezebox: all the trouble would be on my side, none on the side of Slimdevices, and the problem would not be solved.

Regards,

Andlauer

iPhone
2008-06-19, 13:34
Please let me share my state of mind about bug 4770 (http://bugs.slimdevices.com/show_bug.cgi?id=4770) with you:

I am not amused. This is an advertized feature, and the main reason why I bought my Squeezebox, but it never worked. I was confident that I would be fixed soon, but it is more than a year now, and it keeps being shoved to a later target. If this piece of code cannot be fixed, then rewrite it from scratch, it should not take you too long, if you really wanted to solve the problem.

You may think I have no reason to be upset. But I have lost patience, along with any hope that this documented, reproductible, acknowledged problem will ever be solved. And I am letting it know: Squeezebox is too complicated, even for the programmers at Slimedevices.

Andlauer

I don't write code so I can't fix this. But I would like to know "Exactly" what you are trying to do and what you feel needs fixed.

I have radio stations and Internet Radio saved in playlists. I also use the Playlist to bookmark my most used stations with just a single entry so I can pull them up from anywhere (Web UI, Controller, IR Remote). Do these fail out from time to time? Yes they do, but very rarely is it the fault of the SB3. It is because the URL changed or the stream died at the radio station end, or the Internet was down. I don't use iTunes so maybe this is why I have no trouble. Then again what is to prevent you from also not using iTunes to create a playlist inside of SC?

So exactly what do you want to do and how are you trying to do it?

peter
2008-06-19, 13:51
andlauer wrote:
> Thank you Peter for your reply.
>
> I do not quite understand what Nokia has to do with my original post,
> the bug it refers to, or the way Slimdevices handles it.
>

It's nearly impossible to get anyone at any commercial software company
to acknowledge a bug let alone promise to fix it. Count your blessings
and don't whine if things don't go as fast as you'd like them to go.
Yours is not the only bug.

> I am glad you do not experience any problem with your playlists with
> radio stations. Do you import them from iTunes? If you do, maybe the
> problem is solved and neither I nor Slimdevices are aware of it. After
> all I am asking for is, that the problem is solved.
>

Reasonable, but don't whine. You were whining.

> Finally, I do not understand why I should resell my Squeezebox: all the
> trouble would be on my side, none on the side of Slimdevices, and the
> problem would not be solved.
>

You're obviously suffering badly, so cutting your losses might not be
such a bad idea.

Regards,
Peter

andlauer
2008-06-19, 14:00
Hello iPhone,

I am trying to import iTunes playlists with radio stations. Which apparently seems to work now. Because of this bug, I was managing my radio playlists with SqueezeServer, rather than with iTunes. Now I created a radio playlist and scanned it with SqueezeServer. It works! Hurray!

So apparently there was a misunderstanding in the bug handling: I thought Slimdevices were handling the problem until it was fixed, and Slimdevices was requesting me to QA, whathever that means.

Well, the problem is solved, that's all that matters...

Regards,

Andlauer

andynormancx
2008-06-19, 14:06
So apparently there was a misunderstanding in the bug handling: I thought Slimdevices were handling the problem until it was fixed, and Slimdevices was requesting me to QA, whathever that means.

I don't think they were waiting for you to QA it, the requests on the bug were for their QA people to test to see whether or not the issue was fixed.

P.S. QA is quality assurance, i.e. testing

verbatone
2008-06-19, 14:17
Peter, quit being such a jerk,

I have never responded to these things, but for some reason I feel compelled to now.

How do you submit a bug with Nokia? Uh, you don't, so good point?

This forum used to be like any linux forum, like what you'd find at ubuntuforums.com, a bunch of dudes with some open source software that used some companies hardware.

Well the problem is it isn't just some companies hardware anymore, it's Logitech's, which is VERY akin to Nokia, maybe not entirely, but VERY close. This forum is now a "customer service" outlet, any maybe it isn't the proper channel, but it's going to happen and only get worse, so perhaps it's time for you to get used to the way things work too.

When you have a bug reporting/triage system implemented, it's not just open source software anymore, it's features that were supposed to come with the box, a Logitech box,a company that's not new to bugs and knows they should be fixed. I know, I know, Nokia won't fix my bugs either....

Now, I'm very appreciative of those that work on the SS open source effort. I have a lot of respect for those people that have the time and energy. But at the same time, lay off people who get a little tired of waiting around for bugs to get fixed. You're not always dealing with people as patient as you, and you may not be dealing with people who give a rat's tuckus about open source software.

Ultimately you sound like you're whining about people whining, pot calling the kettle black if you will.

In hopes that you'll give me a *yawn* too...

mvalera
2008-06-19, 14:37
This is not a customer service, or a customer support forum.

It is, was, and always shall be a Community forum... that employees sometimes post on.

Mike

peter
2008-06-19, 21:53
verbatone wrote:
> Peter, quit being such a jerk,
>
> I have never responded to these things, but for some reason I feel
> compelled to now.
>
> How do you submit a bug with Nokia? Uh, you don't, so good point?
>

Exactly.

> This forum used to be like any linux forum, like what you'd find at
> ubuntuforums.com, a bunch of dudes with some open source software that
> used some companies hardware.
>
> Well the problem is it isn't just some companies hardware anymore, it's
> Logitech's, which is VERY akin to Nokia, maybe not entirely, but VERY
> close. This forum is now a "customer service" outlet, any maybe it
> isn't the proper channel, but it's going to happen and only get worse,
> so perhaps it's time for you to get used to the way things work too.
>

Nonsense, I get to submit bugs in the bug tracking system and usually I
get a reply withing 24 hours. With Nokia, well, you said it. It's
impossible to get even the simplest bug fixed.
> When you have a bug reporting/triage system implemented, it's not just
> open source software anymore, it's features that were supposed to come
> with the box, a Logitech box,a company that's not new to bugs and knows
> they should be fixed. I know, I know, Nokia won't fix my bugs
> either....
>
> Now, I'm very appreciative of those that work on the SS open source
> effort. I have a lot of respect for those people that have the time
> and energy. But at the same time, lay off people who get a little
> tired of waiting around for bugs to get fixed. You're not always
> dealing with people as patient as you, and you may not be dealing with
> people who give a rat's tuckus about open source software.
>
> Ultimately you sound like you're whining about people whining, pot
> calling the kettle black if you will.
>

At least it's not the same boring old whine.

> In hopes that you'll give me a *yawn* too...
>

Nah, try again.

X.

mherger
2008-06-19, 22:04
>> In hopes that you'll give me a *yawn* too...
>
> Nah, try again.

Ok, ok. You're quite off-topic. Please exchange phone numbers and meet in
a pub for further discussion. Thanks.

Michael

verbatone
2008-06-22, 23:50
Peter,

Point being, you should never expect Nokia to fix a bug, if they do, it's your good luck. Somehow everyone takes the opposite view since they're wrapped up in OS SW. Since Nokia doesn't have bug tracking system, don't be upset when they don't fix bugs. You know what you're getting when you buy into the system/product.

My 3 year old Samsung TV has upgradeable software, but they've never once provided updated SW for the unit. Are there bugs? Yes. Do I expect them to release new SW? No, but if they do, that's my good fortune.

With SS, they do have a bug tracker, so it's that promise (not the contractual type) that bugs will get fixed that can be somewhat misleading and frustrating. I can certainly see how someone could get frustrated waiting and waiting for a submitted bug to get fixed.

So the better way to deal with forum frustration appears to be how iPhone did, and not how you did. It's clear that iPhone solved the OPs problem while you came off looking smug and arrogant.

fin

Nonreality
2008-06-23, 02:13
Peter,

Point being, you should never expect Nokia to fix a bug, if they do, it's your good luck. Somehow everyone takes the opposite view since they're wrapped up in OS SW. Since Nokia doesn't have bug tracking system, don't be upset when they don't fix bugs. You know what you're getting when you buy into the system/product.

My 3 year old Samsung TV has upgradeable software, but they've never once provided updated SW for the unit. Are there bugs? Yes. Do I expect them to release new SW? No, but if they do, that's my good fortune.

With SS, they do have a bug tracker, so it's that promise (not the contractual type) that bugs will get fixed that can be somewhat misleading and frustrating. I can certainly see how someone could get frustrated waiting and waiting for a submitted bug to get fixed.

So the better way to deal with forum frustration appears to be how iPhone did, and not how you did. It's clear that iPhone solved the OPs problem while you came off looking smug and arrogant.

finOh great, there goes the bug tracking. You know the OP did seem to lose some of his hissy fit after Peter talked to him. The OP didn't say if he ever called support. He had maybe 10 posts here before this thread in a year and a half, so you have to wonder how hard he really tried to solve his problem. I don't think that Peter was all that bad it's just that Iphone is such a nice guy he makes us all look bad. :)

funkstar
2008-06-23, 06:32
I don't think that Peter was all that bad it's just that Iphone is such a nice guy he makes us all look bad. :)
Yeah, ain't that the truth :)

nicketynick
2008-06-23, 10:18
Yeah, ain't that the truth :)

Man, I love this place! Whose round is it? Mine? Oh.... (cue theme song from 'Cheers')

Nonreality
2008-06-23, 10:22
Man, I love this place! Whose round is it? Mine? Oh.... (cue theme song from 'Cheers')
Ahoy matey prepare to be boarded, this thread is ours.

whoops sorry, got carried away.
Put down the weapon Michael we're leaving peacefully. :)