PDA

View Full Version : New remote for squeezebox classic

jarump3
2008-06-18, 07:13
The remote for my squeezebox has been destroyed by my kids. I can not get it to work. I have contacted several shops, but none of them can ship me a new one.

I've been to the slimdevices shop to buy a new one, but the don't ship to norway.

Any suggestions what to do? Have also contacted Logitech norway, but so far they haven't been able to help me.

I desperately seek a new remote.

toby10
2008-06-18, 07:26
The remote for my squeezebox has been destroyed by my kids. I can not get it to work. I have contacted several shops, but none of them can ship me a new one.

I've been to the slimdevices shop to buy a new one, but the don't ship to norway.

Any suggestions what to do? Have also contacted Logitech norway, but so far they haven't been able to help me.

I desperately seek a new remote.

- Use a JVC remote
- Use universal remote with a JVC code
- Borrow a SB3 remote from someone, use the "learn" function on universal remote

radish
2008-06-18, 07:28
- Use a JVC remote
- Borrow a SB3 remote from someone, use the "learn" function on universal remote

Use something like a Harmony which supports the SD codes out of the box.

toby10
2008-06-18, 07:30
Use something like a Harmony which supports the SD codes out of the box.

Even better idea! :)

jarump3
2008-06-18, 07:38
- Use a JVC remote

Any suggestions (name/numer)

hickinbottoms
2008-06-18, 07:44
Or buy a (Logitech) Harmony remote, which will know Squeezebox codes
already.

Stuart

toby10 wrote:
> jarump3;313141 Wrote:
>
>> The remote for my squeezebox has been destroyed by my kids. I can not
>> get it to work. I have contacted several shops, but none of them can
>> ship me a new one.
>>
>> I've been to the slimdevices shop to buy a new one, but the don't ship
>> to norway.
>>
>> Any suggestions what to do? Have also contacted Logitech norway, but so
>> far they haven't been able to help me.
>>
>> I desperately seek a new remote.
>>
>
> - Use a JVC remote
> - Use universal remote with a JVC code
> - Borrow a SB3 remote from someone, use the "learn" function on
> universal remote
>
>
>

toby10
2008-06-18, 07:59
Any suggestions (name/numer)

I believe most any JVC DVD player remote will work.

You will have to go into the SC7 menu and check off the JVC_DVD for remote.
SC7 > Settings > Players > Remote

Again, if you don't want to go the Harmony route, borrow a friends JVC DVD player remote, test it to be certain it functions as you need, then program that remote (code or learn function) into any universal remote. You might even have a universal remote for some of your other AV gear, like your AVR (this is what I use for SB3 playback). :)

jarump3
2008-06-18, 08:34
I believe most any JVC DVD player remote will work.

You will have to go into the SC7 menu and check off the JVC_DVD for remote.
SC7 > Settings > Players > Remote

Again, if you don't want to go the Harmony route, borrow a friends JVC DVD player remote, test it to be certain it functions as you need, then program that remote (code or learn function) into any universal remote. You might even have a universal remote for some of your other AV gear, like your AVR (this is what I use for SB3 playback). :)

I can't access the players settings, because the player is turned off, and not connected to the wan. Any other way to turn on the player?

Regarding the harmony remote, it cost's more than a new squeezebox, so that's not an option for me.

Sorry, found this one: Logitech Harmony 525 Universal Remote. Will this one work? Price $102 USD

radish
2008-06-18, 08:36
Regarding the harmony remote, it cost's more than a new squeezebox, so that's not an option for me.

Really? You can get them for $60 here (compared to $300 for an SB3).

jarump3
2008-06-18, 08:45
Really? You can get them for $60 here (compared to $300 for an SB3).

After doing some searching, I found a Logitech Harmony 525, and it cost about $86 USD (449 NOK).

If this one will do the job, I'll buy it...

radish
2008-06-18, 08:55
Should work fine. Note that you will need an internet connection to program it but I don't expect that will be a problem :)

jarump3
2008-06-18, 09:26
Should work fine. Note that you will need an internet connection to program it but I don't expect that will be a problem :)

Thank you very much. I will order it at once.

peterw
2008-06-18, 09:28
The remote for my squeezebox has been destroyed by my kids. I can not get it to work.

How destroyed is it? A number of individuals have reported their remotes stopped working, or stopped working reliably, after the IR emitter diode's connection to the circuit board came loose (as it might if the remote were dropped and landed on its end). Opening the remote and re-soldering the IR diode fixed the problem.

jarump3
2008-06-18, 09:58
How destroyed is it? A number of individuals have reported their remotes stopped working, or stopped working reliably, after the IR emitter diode's connection to the circuit board came loose (as it might if the remote were dropped and landed on its end). Opening the remote and re-soldering the IR diode fixed the problem.

Actually it has been on and off for a while (the kids drops it on the floor), but the last time they lost it I haven't been able to get it to work. I have opened it, but I'm not that technical, and therefore it's hard to see what may be wrong.

Just wondering; what does re-soldering mean? (not that good in english)

peter
2008-06-18, 10:17
jarump3 wrote:
> peterw;313200 Wrote:
>
>> How destroyed is it? A number of individuals have reported their remotes
>> stopped working, or stopped working reliably, after the IR emitter
>> diode's connection to the circuit board came loose (as it might if the
>> remote were dropped and landed on its end). Opening the remote and
>> re-soldering the IR diode fixed the problem.
>>
>
> Actually it has been on and off for a while (the kids drops it on the
> floor), but the last time they lost it I haven't been able to get it to
> work. I have opened it, but I'm not that technical, and therefore it's
> hard to see what may be wrong.
>
> Just wondering; what does re-soldering mean? (not that good in english)
>

Solder is the melted metal (tin?) that connects components to the
circuit board. Re-soldering is melting the solder again and fixing the
broken connection. I hope that explains it.

Regards,
Peter

peterw
2008-06-18, 10:27
Actually it has been on and off for a while (the kids drops it on the floor), but the last time they lost it I haven't been able to get it to work. I have opened it, but I'm not that technical, and therefore it's hard to see what may be wrong.

Solder is metal that's easily melted to make an electrical connection between metal components (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solder). It is like welding, but simpler, safer, and with much smaller parts. The IR diode is the glass "bulb" that sticks out the end of the remote. It has metal leads (wires) that are soldered to the circuit board inside the remote control. If the remote control is dropped, the solder that connects the diode's lead to the circuit board can be broken. Normally this make the remote control fail sometimes, and work sometimes -- sometimes you press a button and the diode lead is just touching the board and it works. Other times you press the button and the lead is not touching the circuit board and it doesn't work. It seems likely that one drop broke the solder but left the lead very close to the circuit board, so it would work occasionally, and another drop bent a lead so the lead never burshes up against the right spot now. If you can wiggle the diode easily with your fingers, or if it doesn't seem to stick out much, that's likely the problem. To re-solder is to take a soldering iron (the pen-like device in the picture on that wikipedia page) and re-establish the electrical connection.

A broken diode connection might be only part of your trouble, though. If you have any friends who have worked with electronics, or who have worked with computers since the early 1980s or before (the good old days when users soldered their own printer cables!), you might ask them to take a look.

jarump3
2008-06-18, 11:14
A broken diode connection might be only part of your trouble, though. If you have any friends who have worked with electronics, or who have worked with computers since the early 1980s or before (the good old days when users soldered their own printer cables!), you might ask them to take a look.

Just wondering, is it possible that the diode itself may be destroyed? If yes, can I replace it?

funkstar
2008-06-18, 11:45
Just wondering, is it possible that the diode itself may be destroyed? If yes, can I replace it?
It's possible.

Do you know any electronics geeks? Might be best to get them to take a look at it if you aren't accustomed to doing that kind of thing :)

toby10
2008-06-18, 11:54

Forget the remote, I'd replace/reprogram the kids! Just kidding. :)

With kids around I'd suggest buying one of those cheap universal remotes with very basic functionality and only program in the most common commands. In the US these can be had for $10 full retail and as little as $4 in those "close out" stores. This is the remote in use when my little *angel* nephews are around! This way, when the little darlings drop, break, or lose the remote it's no big deal. One time they were here I found this remote two weeks later in my backyard woods?????????? :)

Nonreality
2008-06-18, 16:56
Could you have someone here close to you where Logitech ships get you one and then ship it to you. It would add a bit of shipping but not that much I would think and it would be a lot less than a harmony. A Harmony is nice though, I have a 720 I like it a lot.

egd
2008-06-18, 22:58
Personally I think it sucks and is pathetic that you cannot purchase a replacement remote unless you live in the US or one of the locations they'll allow you to purchase from via the website. If you're not in one of those regions Logitech couldn't give a FF about you.

Sike
2008-06-19, 01:32
Personally I think it sucks and is pathetic that you cannot purchase a replacement remote unless you live in the US or one of the locations they'll allow you to purchase from via the website. If you're not in one of those regions Logitech couldn't give a FF about you.

I fully agree (Depending on what FF stands for)

It's not Logitech that is selling the remotes, it Slimdevices. LT would probably not sell you one even if you are living in the states.

The Slimdevices online shop should be opened to the world again. Relying on LT for customer service is asking for unsatisfied customers..

peter
2008-06-19, 02:18
Sike wrote:
> egd;313351 Wrote:
>
>> Personally I think it sucks and is pathetic that you cannot purchase a
>> replacement remote unless you live in the US or one of the locations
>> they'll allow you to purchase from via the website. If you're not in
>> one of those regions Logitech couldn't give a FF about you.
>>
>
> I fully agree (Depending on what FF stands for)
>
> It's not Logitech that is selling the remotes, it Slimdevices. LT would
> probably not sell you one even if you are living in the states.
>
> The Slimdevices online shop should be opened to the world again.
> Relying on LT for customer service is asking for unsatisfied
> customers..
>

That's sucks indeed. But how about sending teh defective remote in to be
repaired?
Perhaps that avenue is still open? ;)

Regards,
Peter

egd
2008-06-19, 04:23
I fully agree (Depending on what FF stands for)...Relying on LT for customer service is asking for unsatisfied customers..flying ___k...the official answer I got was have a friend in the US order the remotes and have him ship them to me in Australia. Luckily I happen to have a good friend in NJ who didn't mind using his time and his money to order crap for me. I'm collecting week after next, so I've been without the remotes I wanted for around 3 months and he's been patiently out of pocket for around the same time. If I didn't have a friend in the US the short answer would have been "you're screwed, here, rotate on this..." FFS, how that can be seen as a realistic response is simply beyond me.

But how about sending teh defective remote in to be repaired? Perhaps that avenue is still open? ;)Postage to and fro will likely exceed the value of the remote, let alone repair costs.

Sike
2008-06-19, 06:52
flying ___k...

As expected :)

I have a friend in Hoboken NJ too I use for this kind of thing too. At least SD is promoting 'make a friend in the states or persuade a friend to move over' :)

autopilot
2008-06-20, 02:05
After doing some searching, I found a Logitech Harmony 525, and it cost about $86 USD (449 NOK).

If this one will do the job, I'll buy it...

I used my Harmony 525 for about a year before i got my SB Controllers, they work perfectly (in fact better).

shabbs
2008-06-20, 07:24
I used my Harmony 525 for about a year before i got my SB Controllers, they work perfectly (in fact better).
How do you get around the firmware update/brightness button issue? Is there a sequence to code on the Harmony to send the right signal?

autopilot
2008-06-20, 13:29
How do you get around the firmware update/brightness button issue? Is there a sequence to code on the Harmony to send the right signal?

All the codes are there in the Harmony database, including brightness. You having problems?

shabbs
2008-06-20, 13:45
All the codes are there in the Harmony database, including brightness. You having problems?
To be honest, have not even tried it with my Harmony. I do remember people having issues using the Harmony with the "hold down the brightness button" for firmware updates and always had to keep their original remote near by for that process.