PDA

View Full Version : Cowon D2

Philip Meyer
2008-06-15, 09:36
I'm always on the lookout for new portable media players. I saw that Cowon are going to release a new player called the D2, which seems to fit my requirements:

- Support for many formats including MP3, FLAC, OGG, APE.
- 52 hours playback time for music.
- 2/4/8/16 GB versions.

http://www.cowonglobal.com/product_wide/product_D2_feature.php

Anyone tried Cowon media players before? How easy are they to sync to PC's - is there some proprietry software that is needed, or can it be done with something like Windows Media Player? Does it support ratings?

Phil

bhaagensen
2008-06-15, 12:15
is there some proprietry software that is needed, or can it be done with something like Windows Media Player? Does it support ratings?

Phil

Windows media player is proprietry software. Sorry about the nitpicking:)

JJZolx
2008-06-15, 12:33
This has been available for at least a year. Look for reviews.

http://www.amazon.com/Cowon-Portable-Media-Player-Black/dp/B000OE2OPG/ref=tag_dpp_lp_edpp_ttl_ex

Philip Meyer
2008-06-15, 12:45
>This has been available for at least a year. Look for reviews.
>
Ah. Thanks. I guess the 16G is a new version, and the smaller sizes have been out a while.

Looks reasonable. Great that it supports FLAC, so I don't need to transcode.

Phil

jimzak
2008-06-15, 15:29
The Cowon interface is pretty bad...usually.

That can be fixed with a Rockbox firmware upgrade.

tommyz
2008-06-16, 00:33
Be warned that the D2 does not play gapless.

And Rockbox is not ready yet.

Inform you at http://www.iaudiophile.net/forums/

TommyZ

tamanaco
2008-06-16, 06:22
I have D2 for over a year already and I have yet to find a similar size portable DAP with better sound quality. The user interface is not the best, but it is very fast. Firmware updates are released frequently, but they add useless features and fail to fix some long-existing tags and playlist bugs. My main complain is that multiple Playlists support is non-existent, if like me, you connect your D2 using MSC to avoid dealing with any DRM issues. If you connect the player using MTP you get "some" Playlist support, but you have to deal with DRM. There is a single Dynamic Playlist (DPL) that works while connected via MSC/MTP. The D2 also has an external SD slot that allows one to add additional storage to grow your portable library using SDHC cards. I paired my D2 with Ultimate Ears Super.fi 5 Pro IEMs and I'm very happy with the sound of this combination. At the time of my purchase I tested several "portable" DAPs and none came close to matching the quality of sound of the D2 or its battery life. I have a total of 20GB in my D2 (4GB internal and 16GB in a SDHC card) It is a compact player that supports a wide variety of audio (lossy & lossless) formats and also supports video. I find that using lossless formats is a bit of "overkill" for compact DAPs that have a limited amount of storage. When I travel I like to have as much music (variety) with me as possible. Using lossless format with the current storage limitation of compact-flash-based DAPs would greatly diminish the amount of tracks that I can carry with me. My main library for use for my home stereo system is lossless (FLAC). I used dBpowerAMP batch converter using the latest LAME encoder to build a secondary (portable) MP3 libray from my FLAC library. The dBpowerAMP batch converter is flexible, easy to use and on Dual Core computer is very fast. Select all the songs you want to convert, click convert and walk away. I set Lame to convert using Quality (VRB) -V2 "standard". I'm very happy with the number of MP3 tracks I can fit in my D2 and with the quality of sound resulting using the LAME encoder settings above.

jeffmeh
2008-06-16, 11:58
I have a D2 and I transcode my FLACs to MP3 to allow me to fit more music on it. When attached to the PC via USB, it works just like a flash drive, so you can copy files onto it using normal file operations (e.g., Windows Explorer, DOS COPY).

I don't do anything regarding ratings, so I cannot help you there.

Overall, I am pretty happy with the sound quality and with the device.

Nonreality
2008-06-16, 21:29
If you don't end up with the Cowon keep your eyes open for a Sansa 200E. You can find the refurbished 6gb for about $50 and they do a great refurb. It take sdhc and has very good sound quality with Rockbox. You need the ver 1 firmware which starts in a 1. Ver 2 is not supported yet and starts with a 3(go figure). Replaceable at home battery. Rockbox on it works even better than on my 1st G Nano and is very fast. Very nice deal for the money once you add rockbox for flac, ogg etc support. Even has a FM tuner and voice recorder. You can have a 10 to 16 gb flash player for $80 to $100. The sound quality is fine on my Westones.

Philip Meyer
2008-06-16, 23:49
Thanks for the info guys.