PDA

View Full Version : Squeezebox: Sound drop out with Flac files



Jason Holtzapple
2004-03-08, 19:16
--- "Daryle A. Tilroe" <daryle (AT) micralyne (DOT) com> wrote:
> > Just how large is the SB buffer? 10kB? 100kB? 1MB? If it is on the lower
>
> Anyone???

As far as I know, 2 MB - twice the SLIMP3.

--Jason

__________________________________
Do you Yahoo!?
Yahoo! Search - Find what you’re looking for faster
http://search.yahoo.com

Daryle A. Tilroe
2004-03-09, 10:05
Jason Holtzapple wrote:
> --- "Daryle A. Tilroe" <daryle (AT) micralyne (DOT) com> wrote:
>
>>>Just how large is the SB buffer? 10kB? 100kB? 1MB? If it is on the lower
>>
>>Anyone???
>
> As far as I know, 2 MB - twice the SLIMP3.
>

Hmm... Isn't that about 10-15 seconds of uncompressed audio?
I don't think I see that kind of buffering. I.E. I get drop
outs within a few seconds of activating my wireless jammer;
aka microwave.

--
Daryle A. Tilroe

Stuart Hickinbottom
2004-03-09, 13:28
On Tue, 09 Mar 2004 10:05:12 -0700, Daryle A. Tilroe
<daryle (AT) micralyne (DOT) com> wrote:

> Jason Holtzapple wrote:
>> --- "Daryle A. Tilroe" <daryle (AT) micralyne (DOT) com> wrote:
>>
>>>> Just how large is the SB buffer? 10kB? 100kB? 1MB? If it is on the
>>>> lower
>>>
>>> Anyone???
>> As far as I know, 2 MB - twice the SLIMP3.
>>
>
> Hmm... Isn't that about 10-15 seconds of uncompressed audio?
> I don't think I see that kind of buffering. I.E. I get drop
> outs within a few seconds of activating my wireless jammer;
> aka microwave.
>


That's definitely what I see too. I do suspect some kind of problem with
FLAC to the Squeezebox - when I measure throughput from the server to a
laptop on the same WLAN (while not playing FLACs), I seem able to get
sustained 2.5Mbps. Testing to the Squeezebox (with 'bing'), I seem to be
able to get ~2Mbps sustained (even with my 'jammer' going) - I would have
thought that was ample for continuing to feed the Squeezebox, even given a
few wireless glitches.

Don't get me wrong - I'm thrilled with the little beauty apart from this,
and personally am quite happy with 192Kbps VBR MP3s. It's only because I
was having a little FLAC listening test that I noticed these dropouts at
all.

Stuart

Daryle A. Tilroe
2004-03-09, 13:54
Stuart Hickinbottom wrote:
> That's definitely what I see too. I do suspect some kind of problem with
> FLAC to the Squeezebox - when I measure throughput from the server to a
> laptop on the same WLAN (while not playing FLACs), I seem able to get
> sustained 2.5Mbps. Testing to the Squeezebox (with 'bing'), I seem to be
> able to get ~2Mbps sustained (even with my 'jammer' going) - I would have
> thought that was ample for continuing to feed the Squeezebox, even given a
> few wireless glitches.

Another data point is that when I have the occasional lockup
with flac or even sometimes with a proper shutdown I get a
flac.exe stuck running in the process list. Also the slim
server is listed as consuming almost 40MB or RAM (an entire
decoded/buffered song perhaps?).

--
Daryle A. Tilroe