PDA

View Full Version : No Subject



Paul Whitaker
2004-03-08, 12:34
When you say in the slimserver 5.1 release notes



"Added a default transcode to uncompressed (no LAME) for AAC files on
Squeezebox"



Does this apply to SLIMP3 as well and if so is it the case that where
squeezebox is used in release documentation we can now assume that means
both SLIMP3 and squeezebox?



Thanks



Paul Whitaker

Erv Walter
2004-03-08, 13:05
I don't think it means SLIMP3 also. The SLIMP3 can't receive uncompressed files, so on the SLIMP3, you'd need to transcode to MP3 using LAME.
----- Original Message -----
From: Paul Whitaker
To: discuss (AT) lists (DOT) slimdevices.com
Sent: Monday, March 08, 2004 1:34 PM
Subject: [slim]


-->
When you say in the slimserver 5.1 release notes



"Added a default transcode to uncompressed (no LAME) for AAC files on Squeezebox"



Does this apply to SLIMP3 as well and if so is it the case that where squeezebox is used in release documentation we can now assume that means both SLIMP3 and squeezebox?



Thanks



Paul Whitaker





------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Roy M. Silvernail
2004-03-08, 13:16
Paul Whitaker said:
> When you say in the slimserver 5.1 release notes
>
> "Added a default transcode to uncompressed (no LAME) for AAC files on
> Squeezebox"
>
> Does this apply to SLIMP3 as well and if so is it the case that where
> squeezebox is used in release documentation we can now assume that means
> both SLIMP3 and squeezebox?

Sorry, but no and no. The Squeezebox can accept PCM directly, but the
SliMP3 only accepts MP3 streams. Dean and Sean are pretty careful to say
what they mean, so I don't believe you can generalize Squeezebox mentions
to imply SliMP3. Also, remember that the SliMP3 feature set is frozen.
Any new features to be had will be only on Squeezebox (or whatever the
Next Slim Thing is).
--
Roy M. Silvernail is roy (AT) rant-central (DOT) com, and you're not
http://www.rant-central.com is the new scytale
Never Forget: It's Only 1's and 0's!
SpamAssassin->procmail->/dev/null->bliss

Tim Morley
2004-03-08, 14:18
I must be unlucky, I bought my slimp3, 1 week later they announce the
squeezebox :(

----- Original Message -----
From: "Roy M. Silvernail" <roy (AT) rant-central (DOT) com>
To: "Slim Devices Discussion" <discuss (AT) lists (DOT) slimdevices.com>
Sent: Monday, March 08, 2004 8:16 PM
Subject: [slim]


>
> Paul Whitaker said:
> > When you say in the slimserver 5.1 release notes
> >
> > "Added a default transcode to uncompressed (no LAME) for AAC files on
> > Squeezebox"
> >
> > Does this apply to SLIMP3 as well and if so is it the case that where
> > squeezebox is used in release documentation we can now assume that means
> > both SLIMP3 and squeezebox?
>
> Sorry, but no and no. The Squeezebox can accept PCM directly, but the
> SliMP3 only accepts MP3 streams. Dean and Sean are pretty careful to say
> what they mean, so I don't believe you can generalize Squeezebox mentions
> to imply SliMP3. Also, remember that the SliMP3 feature set is frozen.
> Any new features to be had will be only on Squeezebox (or whatever the
> Next Slim Thing is).
> --
> Roy M. Silvernail is roy (AT) rant-central (DOT) com, and you're not
> http://www.rant-central.com is the new scytale
> Never Forget: It's Only 1's and 0's!
> SpamAssassin->procmail->/dev/null->bliss
>
>

Roy M. Silvernail
2004-03-08, 16:33
On Mon, 2004-03-08 at 16:18, Tim Morley wrote:
> I must be unlucky, I bought my slimp3, 1 week later they announce the
> squeezebox :(

That happened to me, as well, though it was my second slimpy. Turns out
"It's not a Squeezebox" was good enough for an RMA. :)
--
Roy M. Silvernail is roy (AT) rant-central (DOT) com, and you're not
Never Forget: It's Only 1's and 0's!
SpamAssassin->procmail->/dev/null->bliss
http://www.rant-central.com