PDA

View Full Version : Squeezebox3 grabs wrong IP address for server

diomark
2008-06-12, 13:55
Hi,

I'm helping someone troubleshoot an issue w/ their setup. The squeezebox keeps trying to grab the IP address from his wifi-router (instead of from the server..)

The Wifi router is 172.16.16.1 - the jukebox server (a small linux based machine) has the IP address 172.16.16.5

When the squeezebox (wireless) connects to the network, it sees the slimserver, but fails to connect to it (hangs on attempting to connect to it..) - on troubleshooting it, you can see that it tried to use the Ip address 172.16.16.1.

(on the squeezebox3), manually changing the server's ip address to 172.16.16.5 fixes the issue - but it doesn't save the IP address - it keeps reverting back to the 172.16.16.1 upon being unplugged/rebooted..

Any ideas? Plugging it directly to the (linksys) router works - but that's not an option here.

-mark

JJZolx
2008-06-12, 14:07
I'm helping someone troubleshoot an issue w/ their setup. The squeezebox keeps trying to grab the IP address from his wifi-router (instead of from the server..)

The Wifi router is 172.16.16.1 - the jukebox server (a small linux based machine) has the IP address 172.16.16.5

When the squeezebox (wireless) connects to the network, it sees the slimserver, but fails to connect to it (hangs on attempting to connect to it..) - on troubleshooting it, you can see that it tried to use the Ip address 172.16.16.1.

(on the squeezebox3), manually changing the server's ip address to 172.16.16.5 fixes the issue - but it doesn't save the IP address - it keeps reverting back to the 172.16.16.1 upon being unplugged/rebooted..

Any ideas? Plugging it directly to the (linksys) router works - but that's not an option here.

That's kind of an unusual subnet to be using. It's a private network (which is what you want) as dictated by RFC1918, but you don't see it used much. Who configured the router to use that network addressing scheme?

Do you know what IP address the Squeezebox itself is being assigned when it connects via wifi? It can be found using the remote interface under Settings > Information > Player Infirmation > Player IP Address. Does the Squeezebox get assigned a different IP address when it's wired directly into the router?

Would I be correct in assuming that the Linksys that you talk about in the last paragraph is also the wifi router that you mention in the first paragraph?

diomark
2008-06-12, 14:18
The squeezebox grabs a DHCP IP address - usually 172.16.16.105 or 106.. (it's dhcp - so it gets something in the 172.16.16.100+ range every time; no matter if it's wired or wireless..)

There is only one router/wifi - which is the linksys wrt54g (running Firmware Version: Talisman/Basic 1.1)

-mark

JJZolx
2008-06-12, 14:28
Anything unusual in the Linksys configuration? If it's not a lot of trouble to reconfigure it (you'd probably have to re-enable wifi and need to enter the wifi password again) I'd be partial to doing a factory reset of the router and using as close to a default configuration as possible. Usually they tend to work right out of the box.

diomark
2008-06-12, 14:52
It's running a custom firmware (sveasoft talisman) - but is running it as default as possible. (it's needed because of pptp vpn..)

My guess is that the way the squeezebox tries to 'discover' the server is confusing it.. does anyone know more about how it finds the slimserver?

-m

radish
2008-06-12, 15:00
My guess is that the way the squeezebox tries to 'discover' the server is confusing it.. does anyone know more about how it finds the slimserver?

The discovery protocol is documented here: http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.php/SLIMP3ClientProtocol

It's basically a broadcast discover packet followed by a unicast response from the server containing IP & port. If the same problem occurs when connected via the wired interface I'd run a sniffer and look at this exchange. It's hard to see how a simple switch could mangle a packet in that way!

Phil Leigh
2008-06-12, 23:45
The discovery protocol is documented here: http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.php/SLIMP3ClientProtocol

It's basically a broadcast discover packet followed by a unicast response from the server containing IP & port. If the same problem occurs when connected via the wired interface I'd run a sniffer and look at this exchange. It's hard to see how a simple switch could mangle a packet in that way!

Check the MAC address of the SB matches the label on the back. If different, change it to match the label.
Make sure you have your gateway and DNS settings in the SB pointing at the router 172.16.16.1