PDA

View Full Version : MusicIP vs. iTunes

Vallier
2008-06-12, 05:43
I've just been introduced to MusicIP and what it does (very interesting.) I also understand that SqueezeCentre can work from iTunes or from MusicIP. Currently, I have it running from iTunes.

Before I even contemplate switching to musicIP, I'd love to know what people think. Which one is better, which one works better, etc.

Any ideas?

Thanks

maggior
2008-06-12, 09:52
I started out ingegrating with iTunes. Then I switched to using a Linux based server and pointed SqueezeCenter to my music directory. Now I'm using MusicIP.

The only advantage to using iTunes integration (as I see it) is having access to any playlists that you have defined there. iTunes would also be advantageous if you don't have your music organized on your hard drive and rely on iTunes to present it in an organized fashion. It is really better to have your music organized on the hard drive.

MusicIP works great for me so far. I've been using it for a few weeks. Just last night I went through the process of adding new music. First thing I had to do was update MusicIP using the web interface. That took less than a minute to update. Then SqueezeCenter updated and took about 1/2 hour (my library has 20,000+ songs in it).

The advantage of using neither is that when you add music, you can just use the "browse music folder" capability and add your new music to the now playing playlist. This automatically updates SC. It beats having to rescan your entire library.

So, it depends on what you care about as to which is better. Do you insist on instant updates to SC when you add new music? Then iTunes and MusicIP are not for you. Do you not care about the speed of updating the database but love the functionality provided by MusicIP? Then, MusicIP is the way to go.

Hope that helps.

Philip Meyer
2008-06-12, 11:33
>I've just been introduced to MusicIP and what it does (very
>interesting.) I also understand that SqueezeCentre can work from
>iTunes or from MusicIP. Currently, I have it running from iTunes.
>
>Before I even contemplate switching to musicIP, I'd love to know what
>people think. Which one is better, which one works better, etc.
>
My preference is for neither to alter my music library content. The SC scanner as a source for music tags is much better.

MusicIP is a great way to get random playlist mixes, but unfortunately the plugin also tries to get tag information for all songs every time and you can't turn that off. With MusicIP, rescan takes an absolute age, and has different ideas about how to treat blank artist, album and genre tags.

iTunes is a complete non-starter for me, as it has very limited music format support. e.g. doesn't understand FLAC. I have the same problem with it being a source for music information, in that it has limited tag support.

ezkcdude
2008-06-12, 11:34
I've just been introduced to MusicIP and what it does (very interesting.) I also understand that SqueezeCentre can work from iTunes or from MusicIP. Currently, I have it running from iTunes.

Before I even contemplate switching to musicIP, I'd love to know what people think. Which one is better, which one works better, etc.

Any ideas?

Thanks

If you have a huge music library and find yourself always scratching your head trying to figure out what to play - MusicIP is a godsend. What I love about MIP is that I can instantly create mixes to fit the mood I'm in - without having to worry about whether the genre tags in my library are accurate. So, I guess it's a vote for MIP from me.

whicken
2008-06-12, 20:28
... MusicIP ... has different ideas about how to treat blank artist, album and genre tags.

This is now changed in 1.9 (currently in beta on Windows), so it should be more friendly to Squeezecenter.

Philip Meyer
2008-06-12, 23:55
>This is now changed in 1.9 (currently in beta on Windows), so it should
>be more friendly to Squeezecenter.
I tried the latest beta and it didn't work for me - I still get lots of "Miscellaneous" albums.

I don't actually want or need the SqueezeCenter plugin to read tags from MusicIP, only determine if it is mixable or not.