PDA

View Full Version : Lightning killed ethernet port of my 1 year old SB3.....

signor_rossi
2008-06-12, 01:44
Lightning killed ethernet port of my 1 year old SB3 and the modem too (but not the switch between the two, strange). :(
Connected though wireless the SB still works, only the ethernet port is dead, tried already factory reset, etc. I have used the SB3 only wired so far and have bad wireless reception where I used it.
Since I have an insurance against lightning strikes would someone please be so kind and tell me to whom I have to write an email to to get info if this can be repaired or not and how much it would eventually cost?
I have bought the SB last year through the European Logitech online shop, but I found it hard to get directions from their website who to address with this...
Thanks, signor_Rossi.

signor_rossi
2008-06-12, 11:17
bump (also edited title)

Anoop M.
2008-06-12, 17:34
Your unit should still be under warranty.

Send an email to Support AT slimdevices DOT com and make sure you let us know that you are from Europe and that your unit has a bad ethernet port due to lightning.

We will then send your ticket over to the EU team who will contact you about getting you a new player.

Skunk
2008-06-12, 18:29
Lightning/power surge killed the ethernet port on my Sb3 last week too, along with the HD in my PC, even though both were plugged into what I thought were good surge protectors.

Unfortunately it's wired-only, and after the storm it would only say "Problem: Ethernet Appears Disconnected". I'm unable to update the firmware because it cycles through the brightness settings when I press+hold the button, rather than starting the update.

Tech support said it sounded like a hardware problem and would be $90 for out of warranty repair, but I'd love to be able to try the firmware update just to make sure. Factory and Xilinx reset didn't help though, so I'm not getting my hopes up.

signor_rossi
2008-06-13, 00:35
Your unit should still be under warranty.

Send an email to Support AT slimdevices DOT com and make sure you let us know that you are from Europe and that your unit has a bad ethernet port due to lightning.

We will then send your ticket over to the EU team who will contact you about getting you a new player.

Just to be 100% sure, would I really get a replacement unit under warranty for an SB that has been damaged by lightning?
That would be really great since I wouldn't have to go through all the formalities with the insurance (guy coming to look at SB, I have to 50 damage participation anyway and the modem will probably get replaced by the telecom company who owns it).

Many thanks for the directions, signor_rossi.

Gibbo
2008-06-13, 02:31
Lightning/power surge killed the ethernet port on my Sb3 last week too, along with the HD in my PC, even though both were plugged into what I thought were good surge protectors.

Most surge protectors come with a warranty for anything plugged into them don't they? I know my belkin ones do?

toby10
2008-06-13, 05:09
Most surge protectors come with a warranty for anything plugged into them don't they? I know my belkin ones do?

Yeah, most surge suppressor manufacturers offer this "warranty", but lots of luck collecting on it! :) They rarely pay out on such claims (the industry in general, not just Belkin) as they have LOTS of wiggle room and many outs in the fine print.

Typical example of the hoops you must jump through to even get them to look at a claim: usually you must place a separate claim for each device that was *zapped* while connected to the surge suppressor. Five devices = five separate claims. Try reading the claims form, claim submission rules and all it's fine print. :)

Unrelated to SD's or even computers: Here is a funny but typical "lifetime product warranty" for a consumer product. I purchased those Triple Edge windshield wipers for my car a loooong time ago, they do work quite well. They came with a "Lifetime Warranty" as follows:
"Just send us your used Triple Edge wipers plus $19.95 S&H"

Well, there are two catches to this "Lifetime Warranty"
1. During the 6 to 8 week "warranty claim processing time" you have no car windshield wipers.
2. Guess how much these wipers sell for new in the stores......yup....$19.95

mikeselectricstuff
2008-06-13, 14:23
I wouldn't expect lighning damage to be covered by warranty, but it might be covered by your house contents insurance.

Anoop M.
2008-06-13, 14:35
You are right it is not covered under warranty. Repairs will cost $90 plus the shipping to the US.

gary
2008-06-14, 06:36
This happened to me last year, I claimed on my insurance, 2 squeezeboxes 1 gigabit switch and a router and 3 gigabit pci cards; the insurance company let me keep the u/s squeezeboxes. They still work wirelessly as well, which was nice

Gary