PDA

View Full Version : I am aggravated! Upgraded to Squeezecenter to fix one problem, gained more!

Madrone
2008-06-11, 21:54
My shortcut to a second local drive with more music didn't work with my old 6.5 Slimserver that otherwise has worked *Flawlessly* for years. The advice I received was to upgrade. I was reluctant to do so because I see people posting about problems with Squeezecenter - but I did. There was much rejoicing when my shortcut to the secondary music directory was properly noticed and the music showed up in my library.

BUT - now my albums are showing up with 2, 3, 4 and 5 copies of each song in them. I got that to go away the last few times but completely dumping and rescanning - a process that takes A LONG TIME. That quit working, then scanning anything at ALL stopped working. Someone in the forum said they finally reinstalled, and that allowed them to scan again. That's what I did. I did a dump and rescan - and thought everything was GREAT.

Until I went to check out a new album I added - and it's 3 copies of each song that show up in it! Then I looked at more albums, and sure enough. There are a LOT of them like that. So if I want to listen to an album I have to add it to the play list, then delete between 1 and 4 copies of EACH SONG before I play it. This isn't cool. Not cool at all.

Does anyone have any idea how to fix this once and for all? Thanks.

BBear
2008-06-11, 22:07
If you've upgraded to 7.01 then this might be your problem:
http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=48687

Madrone
2008-06-11, 22:19
If you've upgraded to 7.01 then this might be your problem:
http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=48687

I don't know what the QNAP deal is, I don't know how to change scanner versions, and I'm getting duplicates in single albums by single artists. Here's just one example:

1 album with 33 songs by 1 artist (Duration: 126:44)
coverArt
Play Add to playlist
Artist: Pete Murray
Band/Orchestra: Pete Murray
Album: Summer at Eureka
Year: 2008
Duration: 126:44
1. Chance to Say Goodbye from Summer at Eureka by Pete Murray
Play Add to playlist Add to Favorites
2. Saving Grace from Summer at Eureka by Pete Murray
3. You Pick Me Up from Summer at Eureka by Pete Murray
4. Silver Cloud from Summer at Eureka by Pete Murray
5. This Game from Summer at Eureka by Pete Murray
6. Sugar from Summer at Eureka by Pete Murray
7. Miss Cold from Summer at Eureka by Pete Murray
8. Never Let the End Begin from Summer at Eureka by Pete Murray
9. Summer at Eureka from Summer at Eureka by Pete Murray
10. King Tide from Summer at Eureka by Pete Murray
11. Happy Ground from Summer at Eureka by Pete Murray

There are 3 of each song listed in the Squeezecenter library. I've randomly picked albums from the library it it appears that they are all duplicated.

MrSinatra
2008-06-12, 00:30
a dumb question for sure, but are you positive you only have one copy of any of these songs?

also, is it somehow possible that your SC is for some reason listing all your tags? meaning APE, id3v1 and id3v2?

is it possible the scanner is reading playlists in the sub folders of the music library? or other shortcuts?

this one is definitely a head scratcher.

Nonreality
2008-06-12, 04:23
Look at a few of the duplicates in the actual Squeezebox display and see exactly the url of the file. That has helped me understand some dups I've had in the past. Old playlist, shortcuts and other things can cause duplicates I've found along with odd tags. Just something to check.

Madrone
2008-06-12, 13:08
My main music drive would be dying a horrible death right now if the files all suddenly tripled. ;)

I don't *think* there are multiple tags on my files. I suppose that perhaps it's possible for some of them - I usually run them through MusicBrainz, and that's how I tag and/or repair tags.

I don't have ANY playlists. Good question though - just not relevant to me.

Head scratcher indeed!

a dumb question for sure, but are you positive you only have one copy of any of these songs?

also, is it somehow possible that your SC is for some reason listing all your tags? meaning APE, id3v1 and id3v2?

is it possible the scanner is reading playlists in the sub folders of the music library? or other shortcuts?

this one is definitely a head scratcher.

Madrone
2008-06-12, 13:11
I can't see anything unusual when I look at them logging into the server remotely. Well - unusual pointing to the cause of the duplicates. It's unusual in and of itself to have the duplicates in the first place.

Look at a few of the duplicates in the actual Squeezebox display and see exactly the url of the file. That has helped me understand some dups I've had in the past. Old playlist, shortcuts and other things can cause duplicates I've found along with odd tags. Just something to check.

Madrone
2008-06-12, 21:57
I've been screwing around with this for days.

Today - unchecked "use iTunes" - reinstalled Squeezecenter twice, first over the top of itself, second time uninstalled from add/remove programs and reinstalled. Did numerous dump/scans. Removed path of playlists (don't have any anyway), dumped and rescanned. Removed path of music library, dumped and rescanned. Placed path of music library back, rescanned for new and changed.

DUPLICATE SONGS. *bangs head* Someone has to have the answer to this.

edited to add: - I just looked it it appears as if the only albums showing duplicate tracks are the ones in my second directory on a second local drive. There's a shorcut to the folder in my main music path.

Phil Leigh
2008-06-12, 23:41
I've been screwing around with this for days.

Today - unchecked "use iTunes" - reinstalled Squeezecenter twice, first over the top of itself, second time uninstalled from add/remove programs and reinstalled. Did numerous dump/scans. Removed path of playlists (don't have any anyway), dumped and rescanned. Removed path of music library, dumped and rescanned. Placed path of music library back, rescanned for new and changed.

DUPLICATE SONGS. *bangs head* Someone has to have the answer to this.

edited to add: - I just looked it it appears as if the only albums showing duplicate tracks are the ones in my second directory on a second local drive. There's a shorcut to the folder in my main music path.

I had this. It turned out that there was an old shortcut to a second drive that I had deleted...but even though it was deleted, the scanner still found it and used it, doubling up the tracks. Check all your drives for "hidden" files (shortcuts). Also, if windows, make sure the recycle bin is empty.

To eliminate things, point SC at an empty directory/folder as your music folder and rescan...that should clear out the database. Then add in the primary drive and make sure that a scan picks that up correctly. Then add in a shortcut to the secondary drive.

bobkoure
2008-06-13, 05:37
If you haven't already, go to settings/advanced/file types and put M3U and CUE in the Disabled Audio File Extensions and Disabled Playlist File Extensions fields, then do a clear-all rescan.
Yes, I'd also guess that it was a stray shortcut marked hidden or system, but this might do it too...

Madrone
2008-06-13, 21:30
Unless there's some super-secret way of telling I'm unaware of there are definitely no hidden folders or shortcuts.

I've emptied my recycle bin (I rarely do) and have dumped and scanned an empty folder to wipe out my database. Now I'm scanning my *secondary* music folder - the one that seems to end up with all of the dupes. It's a hugely long process, so I don't know if that's done it yet.

Next step - put shortcut to secondary music directory back in main directory, scan again. I'll do this whether or not the current scan of the secondary directory completes properly or not.

Phil Leigh
2008-06-13, 23:51
Unless there's some super-secret way of telling I'm unaware of there are definitely no hidden folders or shortcuts.

I've emptied my recycle bin (I rarely do) and have dumped and scanned an empty folder to wipe out my database. Now I'm scanning my *secondary* music folder - the one that seems to end up with all of the dupes. It's a hugely long process, so I don't know if that's done it yet.

Next step - put shortcut to secondary music directory back in main directory, scan again. I'll do this whether or not the current scan of the secondary directory completes properly or not.

In XP - in Windows Explorer - right click root folder - use tools - folder options - view select "Show hidden files and folders"

also Search - select advanced option - check hidden files then search computer for *.lnk

Madrone
2008-06-14, 11:26
I'll file that one away for future reference. I do know about how to show hidden files and/or folders ... I just didn't understand how you could delete something and have it show up "hidden".... and as far as I could see, there was nothing there.

HOWEVER - I think *knock on wood* that my problem is FINALLY solved. The last thing I did was to go to the main music folder and do a search on the word "Music". My shortcut is to the "My Music" folder on the C drive - where I've started placing the overflow until I get around to installing the 750GB drive I've got laying around for that purpose. Oddly enough, that search turned up multiple shortcuts to the "My Music" folder, in different artist's folders in my main music directory. How THAT happened, and/or why it just started affecting me after the upgrade - I have no idea! I deleted all of the extra shortcuts in the various folders, then started it on yet ANOTHER dump & scan - before retiring for the evening. When I woke up this morning I looked at a few folders, and there are NO duplicates. I am SO happy about this as it's been a huge problem for a couple of weeks.

Because 99% of the time I've got my entire collection on the Random Song Mix it hasn't sent me off into murderous fits of rage, but I DO have some newly added music that I really wanted to check out and it's been extremely frustrating to deal with in that context.

Now I can get back to what I WANT to be doing. Listening to MUSIC. :)

Thanks to everyone for their assistance and suggestions! Happy listening!

In XP - in Windows Explorer - right click root folder - use tools - folder options - view select "Show hidden files and folders"

also Search - select advanced option - check hidden files then search computer for *.lnk