PDA

View Full Version : known bug? slash in artist name?

MrSinatra
2008-06-10, 11:55
hi,

just wondering if this is a known issue and if a bug exists on it.

i have AC/DC albums and if the slash is used in the tag (not the filename) its enough to keep it (the album) out of the listings.

strangely enough, in the listing of artists, it doesn't say AC-DC which is how the rest of my albums are tagged, it says AC/DC! what sense does this make? why would it say the one thing it won't show?

JJZolx
2008-06-10, 12:29
I've never had this problem.

I don't use Guess Tags. (Delete all patterns under Settings > Advanced > Formatting > Guess Tags Formats)

The artist folder is named AC-DC.

Files are tagged with ARTIST=AC/DC.

Everything appears under AC/DC and no albums are missing.

MrSinatra
2008-06-10, 12:48
i think i put my finger on it...

but first i need to correct what i said in the first post. my albums are tagged AC/DC, its just the dir and filename that is AC-DC. in any case...

that missing album has v2 tags, but the only values in it for v2 are replay gain values. the rest of v2 is blank.

v1 however has all the info filled out.

so it looks like to me SC7 just went with the v2 values and said forget the v1 stuff, since it did find RG values in v2.

is that a bug? i thought SC would use v1 if v2 was blank or missing info?

JJZolx
2008-06-10, 13:50
so it looks like to me SC7 just went with the v2 values and said forget the v1 stuff, since it did find RG values in v2.

is that a bug? i thought SC would use v1 if v2 was blank or missing info?

Nope. SC doesn't "merge" the tags. For Mp3 files it uses a hierarchy of 1) APE 2) id3v2 3) id3v1 tags. If it finds one, then it ignores all data in the rest. Don't ask why APE tags supercede id3v2 tags.

http://bugs.slimdevices.com/show_bug.cgi?id=4665

MrSinatra
2008-06-10, 14:19
very interesting...

clearly, the first thing to point out or point at is the lack of info in my v2 tags (other than RG info) for that one album.

but i think a reasonable argument could be made that SC should at least look for v1 info if such important v2 info such as album, artist, title, etc... is missing.

then again, SC would be just masking to an extent, the problem with my tags.

regardless, in any case, even if all this v2 info is blank, should the album not appear at all? shouldn't at the very least SC input some kind of string like "missing id3 info" ?

b/c the net result is the album is scanned but not listed, and this is not a situation one can fix easily if one is unaware of it missing.

MrSinatra
2008-06-10, 22:03
http://bugs.slimdevices.com/show_bug.cgi?id=8380