PDA

View Full Version : new user / 802.11n?

jsa307
2008-06-09, 20:06
I'm new to streaming digital media, but was thinking about purchasing a squeezebox. After reading about it, one of the only downsides seems to be lack of support for 802.11n networking. Are there any squeezebox alternatives that support 802.11n? Is the squeezebox still the way to go? Everything else I've read about it seems to be great ..

Thanks!

pfarrell
2008-06-09, 20:12
jsa307 wrote:
> I'm new to streaming digital media, but was thinking about purchasing a
> squeezebox. After reading about it, one of the only downsides seems to
> be lack of support for 802.11n networking. Are there any squeezebox
> alternatives that support 802.11n? Is the squeezebox still the way to
> go? Everything else I've read about it seems to be great ..

11n is not standardized.

11G works great, as does CAT5 wiring.

--
Pat Farrell
http://www.pfarrell.com/

Ben Sandee
2008-06-09, 20:53
On Mon, Jun 9, 2008 at 10:06 PM, jsa307 <
jsa307.3arr6n1213067401 (AT) no-mx (DOT) forums.slimdevices.com> wrote:

>
> I'm new to streaming digital media, but was thinking about purchasing a
> squeezebox. After reading about it, one of the only downsides seems to
> be lack of support for 802.11n networking. Are there any squeezebox
> alternatives that support 802.11n? Is the squeezebox still the way to
> go? Everything else I've read about it seems to be great ..

Keep in mind the adding a dot-G device to a dot-N network does NOT have the
same massive performance penalty that adding a dot-B device does to a dot-G
network. The SB really doesn't need the bandwidth and as Pat mentioned,
dot-N is still not standardized. I'm sure there will be a future device
that is upgraded, but if the dot-G support is your only downside then I'd
say go ahead and pull the trigger and get a SB.

Ben

iPhone
2008-06-09, 21:11
I'm new to streaming digital media, but was thinking about purchasing a squeezebox. After reading about it, one of the only downsides seems to be lack of support for 802.11n networking. Are there any squeezebox alternatives that support 802.11n? Is the squeezebox still the way to go? Everything else I've read about it seems to be great ..

Thanks!

There is no support for 802.11N anywhere! Each company is using their own version of the future possible Standard (read 802.11N is not yet a Standard). One company's "N" router works with another company's "N" card only because both fall back to 802.11G! At this time if one wants to run "N", I strongly recommend buying all the same brand WiFi (like a Linksys router and wireless NIC). This is currently why Slim Devices only uses "G". If one has an "N" router already, the Transporter, SB3, and Duet will work with it fine because the Router will fall back to "G".

As far as going with another Network Media Player, be my guest. This is the Slim Devices Forum and most folks here are going to tell you to get a Squeezebox. It is a better unit and less money. You are not keyholed into using an amp that is in the box plus you can use any computer as your server (or build your own if you know what I mean). ROKU is crap (I gave mine away, not even bothering to list it on EBAY). The Sonos is expensive. And in my opinion, have you all boxed in with what you can do and can't do. And they have no Plugins. The Squeezebox is a much better value and has so many possibilities. For the price of a full base Sonos setup $999, you can buy a complete five room setup with a Duet and four receivers! And you get to choose the amps and speakers.

These are hard choices picking between these two systems. Squeezebox being a better value, more flexible, the Plugins (check the WiKi), and open source makes it an easier choice in my book and in my experience.

Nonreality
2008-06-10, 00:29
Im running a Netgear N router and everything works perfect. The SB connects at G speeds and has all it ever needs. My laptop connects at the N speeds and isn't held back by the SB which is nice. My SB3 is one of the very few devices I've ever bought that I don't think I paid enough for.

Eric Seaberg
2008-06-10, 11:16

Thanks!

I have two Apple AirPorts in my house with separate network names. One is B/G and the other is N with B/G compatibility. My SB3 connects to the N as 802.11G and works great. My MacBook Pro connects to the same AirPort as 802.11N and screams at N date rates. Since my Transporter is wired, I've never had a bandwidth issue running G from the N wireless.

BTW, the only reason I have B/G is for my wife's older iBook and guest access.

mvalera
2008-06-11, 09:51
802.11n on our devices is not important for 2 reasons...

An 802.11g device on a 802.11n network does not have a negative impact the performance of other 802.11n devices in any way. 802.11g is 100% compatible with 802.11n.

You don't need 802.11n speeds for listening to music... 802.11g's 45mbps per squeezebox gives you about 43 - 44mpbs of headroom even when listening to uncompressed formats. That's per Squeezebox.

Even if your network is sucking wind and you only get say 10mbps to your Squeezebox,you still have something like 10x the bandwidth you need for music listening.

Mike

funkstar
2008-06-11, 13:02
The *only* advantage of the Squeeze devices being 802.11n would be the increased range offered by the new standard, and the ability to use the 5GHz range as opposed to the crowded 2.4GHz of 802.11g.

The range issue is partly negated by the increase in range you get when using a N router/AP and G devices.

jsa307
2008-06-11, 23:10
Gotcha. Seems like a non-issue. Thanks for the replies!

seanadams
2008-06-11, 23:17
jsa307, check out this thread:

http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=42853

mvalera
2008-06-12, 11:33
I just added that content to the Wiki:

http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.php/Beginners_Guide_To_Networks#Wireless_performance_o n_mixed_networks:_answers.21