View Full Version : Squeezebox not playing m4a files

Pete7874
2008-06-07, 16:01
I've got SB3 and

SqueezeCenter Version: 7.0 - 17793 - Windows Vista - EN - cp1250
Perl Version: 5.8.8 MSWin32-x86-multi-thread
MySQL Version: 5.0.22-community-nt
Platform Architecture: 586

My player plays AAC streams fine (via mplayer), but it does not play M4A files. Whenever I press play on such a file, no sound is coming out, but it does not show an error message either.

What do I need to modify?

Thanks!

bpa
2008-06-07, 17:00
Have you installed Quicktime ?

Pete7874
2008-06-07, 18:51
Umm... no. Is it mandatory? I try to avoid everything Apple at all costs.

Can I use something else for that purpose?

pfarrell
2008-06-07, 19:10
Pete7874 wrote:
> Umm... no. Is it mandatory? I try to avoid everything Apple at all
> costs.

"The .M4P extension is AAC purchased from Apple's Music Store (iTune)
and is protected by a Digital Rights Management scheme."

Doesn't seem like you are doing too well at that if you buy at the
iTunes store. its owned by Apple.

DRM files are hard to play well on anything.

--
Pat Farrell
http://www.pfarrell.com/

Eric Seaberg
2008-06-07, 19:30

Yes, but .m4a is different than .m4p (he said .M4A). If you rip CDs using iTunes as AAC it will tag them as .m4a. You'll need to install QuickTime to playback and/or transcode to FLAC or some other 'native' format for the SB3 to play.

If you ARE trying to play purchased iTunes files, it won't work.

Nostromo
2008-06-07, 19:58
If you ARE trying to play purchased iTunes files, it won't work.

There are workarounds, however. And the better quality iTunes files come without DRM.

Pete7874
2008-06-07, 21:00

Doesn't seem like you are doing too well at that if you buy at the
iTunes store. its owned by Apple.

Who said anything about .M4P?

bpa
2008-06-08, 00:55
The transcoding application mov123 which is distributed with SC uses the QuickTime libraries to decode m4a files. If you are on a Windows platform and you haven't got Quicktime installed then m4a decoding will not happen.

If you don't want Quicktime installed there are alternatives such as faad and mplayer but you will need to edit the convert.conf file.

Pete7874
2008-06-08, 05:55
If you don't want Quicktime installed there are alternatives such as faad and mplayer but you will need to edit the convert.conf file.

Thanks. So how should I edit it?

bpa
2008-06-08, 07:34
I think this post (#6) has complete instructions
http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?p=280799#post280799

Please use Wordpad and not Notepad when editing convert.conf
Read SqueezeCenter wherever it say Slimserver.

You put the faad.exe (or faad2.exe I can't remember the exact name) in the same directory as mov123.exe.

Pete7874
2008-06-08, 10:06
Thanks so much! It worked.

RonM
2008-06-08, 10:21
Although I, too, try to avoid Apple products, I do occasionally make use of iTunes, but now only EVER to buy non-DRM files (the iTunes plus format), which are structured as .m4a. I have in the past routinely converted these to something else (usually 192 kbs .mp3s) using iTunes, in order to play them on other things like WMP and my portable players, and SC. So I have had two versions of these files, m4a and mp3. No problems.

Then all of a sudden I started to see two copies of a number of files on my SBD controller. Turns out these were the mp3 and m4a files above.

What was different? I'd been nagged by iTunes to download the latest update to itself, which comes irrevocably attached to Quicktime. Once Quicktime was installed again (I think I'd removed it in the past) SC was apparently able to "see" the m4a files and counted them in the library.

Mystery solved. How to correct? Move the iTunes library out of the folder identified in SC, and then copy only the mp3 versions of the files back to the SC folder.

R.

PS -- I do have some legacy m4p files, purchased with DRM. Not too many, so the classic workaround worked -- burn each album to a rewriteable CD, rip to my preferred format of choice, erase, repeat for the next album. Now available as one file to SC.