PDA

View Full Version : Trojoan in scanner.exe?!

barcar
2008-06-06, 02:06
I'm running SqueezeCenter 7.0 on Windows XP SP2 with free AVG v8. I just got a resident shield alert when scanner.exe started on my system.

AVG said it was infected with "Trojan horse Generic10.AINU". Is this a false positive? Has anybody else seen it?

I'm pretty comfortable that my system is clean - I'm running a full scan to be sure.

jeremy
2008-06-06, 02:30
I just got the same here, also XP, also AVG - running a full scan and updated to latest nightly - any ideas?

peter
2008-06-06, 02:39
jeremy wrote:
> I just got the same here, also XP, also AVG - running a full scan and
> updated to latest nightly - any ideas?
>

False positive, complain to the AV manufacturer.

Regards,
Peter

ModelCitizen
2008-06-06, 02:41
This looks like it might be becoming a bit of an issue.
Another thread: http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=48573
Have ytou just installed 7.0? If you have been using it for a while it can't be because the behaviour of scanner.exe has changed so one assumes that AVG must have changed what it looks for... unless somethinng else has changed on your machine.

Are you definitely using 7.0 standard release and not the latest 7.0.1 nightly (as the other guy whose reported this appears to be)?

MC

Rockyjocky
2008-06-06, 03:04
jeremy wrote:
> I just got the same here, also XP, also AVG - running a full scan and
> updated to latest nightly - any ideas?
>

False positive, complain to the AV manufacturer.

Regards,
Peter

It's a false positive IMO.
I run 7.01 on XP & had the exact same trojan found this morning.
If I turn off heuturistic (sp) scanning it goes away.
AVG are not unknown for their false positives when heuturistic is enabled, ccleaner suffered from this a few months ago & I think media monkey at one time.

jeremy
2008-06-06, 03:13
Disabling Heuristics worked for me, I've sent scanner.exe to AVG (there's an option to do so from the vault) so hopefully they can sort this issue out. Thanks all.

SamS
2008-06-06, 13:00
I ran into this problem today too. Nothing I can do will allow a rescan. Even disabling AVG. I'm stuck, any ideas?

auronthas
2008-06-06, 14:59
Same here, the scanner.exe can't be healed and moved to vault by AVG. (Eventually i delete the scanner.exe file).

Just downloaded and installed latest 7.0.1 nightly, then rescan scanner.exe with AVG, it works fine now.

SamS
2008-06-06, 15:04
Same here, the scanner.exe can't be healed and moved to vault by AVG. (Eventually i delete the scanner.exe file).

Just downloaded and installed latest 7.0.1 nightly, then rescan scanner.exe with AVG, it works fine now.

I downloaded the standard 7.0.1 when I couldn't get 7.0 to work, and it still doesn't work. So.. I can download the nightly 7.0.1, but then do I run an AVG scan? Or just try to rescan SC? And when I get the AVG error, what do I do? Ignore, Heal or something else?

auronthas
2008-06-06, 15:14
I downloaded the standard 7.0.1 when I couldn't get 7.0 to work, and it still doesn't work. So.. I can download the nightly 7.0.1, but then do I run an AVG scan? Or just try to rescan SC? And when I get the AVG error, what do I do? Ignore, Heal or something else?

I completely deleted the infected scanner.exe in c:/program files/slimserver/server as well as recycle bin.

After installing nightly 7.0.1, i did another AVG scan only scanner.exe file, no more virus alarm. SC works fine, no problem with clear and rescan SC.

ModelCitizen
2008-06-06, 15:20
I find Esets No32 to be a totally reliable and footprint-light AV solution. It's so quiet I forget about it.

MC

Anoop M.
2008-06-06, 17:51
This issue has been coming up a lot today and the best solution so far that I have found is to:

1. Uninstall SqueezeCenter
2. Uninstall AVG
3. Re install SqueezeCenter
4. Re install AVG.

This has worked for a handful of customers today.

malaugh
2008-06-06, 18:49
Mine works again after downloading the latest update from AVG, (at 7pm Pacific time). AVG has a history of "false positives" this is the third one I have had in the 4 years I have been using them. I did not re-install anything, just downloaded the update.

SamS
2008-06-06, 21:21
I completely deleted the infected scanner.exe in c:/program files/slimserver/server as well as recycle bin.

After installing nightly 7.0.1, i did another AVG scan only scanner.exe file, no more virus alarm. SC works fine, no problem with clear and rescan SC.

That appears to have worked.

Thanks to all for your attention to this matter. Amazing what kind of panic sets in when your beloved SC is not functioning as expected ;)

peter
2008-06-07, 02:53
auronthas wrote:
> SamS;309519 Wrote:
>
>> I downloaded the standard 7.0.1 when I couldn't get 7.0 to work, and it
>> still doesn't work. So.. I can download the nightly 7.0.1, but then do
>> I run an AVG scan? Or just try to rescan SC? And when I get the AVG
>> error, what do I do? Ignore, Heal or something else?
>>
>
> I completely deleted the infected scanner.exe in c:/program
> files/slimserver/server as well as recycle bin.
>

There is no infected scanner.exe. It's a false alarm. Do you trust your
virus scanner more than your own common sense?

Regards,
Peter

auronthas
2008-06-07, 08:16
auronthas wrote:
> SamS;309519 Wrote:
>
>> I downloaded the standard 7.0.1 when I couldn't get 7.0 to work, and it
>> still doesn't work. So.. I can download the nightly 7.0.1, but then do
>> I run an AVG scan? Or just try to rescan SC? And when I get the AVG
>> error, what do I do? Ignore, Heal or something else?
>>
>
> I completely deleted the infected scanner.exe in c:/program
> files/slimserver/server as well as recycle bin.
>

There is no infected scanner.exe. It's a false alarm. Do you trust your
virus scanner more than your own common sense?

Regards,
Peter

Yes, it may be uncommon to me. Therefore i take some precaution to remove them while waiting AVG to confirm. Meanwhile i reintall SC and it works. End of story.

Nonreality
2008-06-07, 22:16

Did you email everyone you know about the "infected scanner.exe"?