PDA

View Full Version : My Anti-Virus Quarantined Scanner.exe

malaugh
2008-06-05, 20:55
I was trying to rescan my mp3 library, then AVG anti-virus said there was a virus in this file (there is not), and now it will not let me run it even though I selected "ignore". Anyone know how to fix this?

Phil Leigh
2008-06-05, 23:14
I was trying to rescan my mp3 library, then AVG anti-virus said there was a virus in this file (there is not), and now it will not let me run it even though I selected "ignore". Anyone know how to fix this?

How do you know you dont have a virus? IME if AVG says you do...then you do!
Was it actually scanner.exe that is quarantined?

MrC
2008-06-05, 23:17
Now sure how to de-quarantine/unblacklist w/AVG, but here's a site to test against multiple scanners if you need more assurance:

http://virusscan.jotti.org/

Rockyjocky
2008-06-06, 03:06

AVG are not unknown with their false positives, ccleaner & mediamonkey have had false positives before.

acodring
2008-06-06, 04:28
Upgraded to a new version of AVG recently and just had scanner.exe identified as a Trojan this morning.

AVG says scanner.exe is "Generic10.AINU". I'll be watching this thread...

fgj
2008-06-06, 05:15
I also have AVG antivirus and the same virusalarm regarding scanner.exe. I've had AVG to look at the problem, and they have confessed that it is false alarm. I also tried the former link to a multiscan site and AVG was the only one antivirusproduct which came up with an alarm.
I don't think there is any virusproblem.

To restore a quarantined file from AVG: History -> Virus vault. Mark the line containing scanner.exe and hit the Restore-button.

amcfarla
2008-06-06, 05:32
I am getting the same thing today, I am not sure if an update to AVG caused this.

badbob
2008-06-06, 05:50

erm no. AVG has thrown back a couple of infected files even though I was positive clean files (ie downloaded official drivers/patches) Although it's best to err on the side of caution just in case.

Phil Leigh
2008-06-06, 06:43
hmmm AVG has never had a problem with scanner.exe for me personally...I'll keep an eye out!

logman
2008-06-06, 08:52
Same thing--AVG identified "scanner.exe" as Generic 10.AINU. I was able to find the AVG "ignore" button. Talk about high trust level--I sure hope that Squeezebox Center is clean. Can support verify that the file is clean? Logman

squibbly
2008-06-06, 09:17
I'm having exactly the same problem here running v7.0 (Windows XP SP2). Quarantined it and AVG stopped the scanner working. Restored scanner, it still wouldn't work. Upgraded to v7.0.1, ran scanner, got the same AVG message, but pressed ignore. Scanner won't work.

I should add that this is since upgrading to AVG Free v8.0 the other night.

Help! How do I get new music onto my Squeezebox. Will my collection be forever trapped in aspic?

Hysteria aside, is there an easy way to fix this?

Squibbly

mherger
2008-06-06, 09:18
> hope that Squeezebox Center is clean. Can support verify that the file
> is clean? Logman

Somebody mentioned AVG already confirming the false positive. I expect this to be fixed by the next pattern update from their side.

--

Michael

mherger
2008-06-06, 10:11
> Somebody mentioned AVG already confirming the false positive. I expect this to be fixed by the next pattern update from their side.

Until this has happened, you can add the SC folder to be ignored by the scanner (Advanced Settings/Resident Shield/Exceptions). Just don't forget to remove the exception once AVG has updated their patterns.

--

Michael

Studio_Two
2008-06-06, 11:31
Yep,

Same for me too....

mj0
2008-06-06, 15:04
same for me!

Scanner.exe reported as Trojan Horse: "Generic 10.AINU"

AVG Free edition Version: 7.5.524
SqueezeCenter Version: 7.0.1 - 19705

i'm ignoring it for now

i also ran Kaspersky online virus checker. it reported scanner.exe as a "threat", but in the status column, no mention of any virus - just said that the file was "locked"... which, thinking about it, could have been because AVG's "virus vault" was messing with it

AVG Free has been giving me nags for a week or so telling me that the Free version will exist no more, past version 8, so i guess looking for another free Antovirus prog is in order. Avast? anyone got any reports?

mj0
2008-06-06, 15:13
sorry if that gave anyone the fear - it's still free. sorry for my mistake. long live AVG free...

http://free.grisoft.com/ww.download?prd=afe

MuckleEck
2008-06-25, 22:26
Avast antivirus detected a Dropper virus Win32:Agent-ZKZ [Drp] in sacanner.exe on my system this morning.

Another false positive?

michel
2008-06-26, 03:48
Avast antivirus detected a Dropper virus Win32:Agent-ZKZ [Drp] in sacanner.exe on my system this morning.

Another false positive?

Same problem here!

Could not find a workarośnd to enable scanner.exe again

andynormancx
2008-06-26, 03:58
Same problem here!

Could not find a workarośnd to enable scanner.exe again

I don't use Avast myself, but this looks useful:

http://au.answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20080103021103AAIQfPH

michel
2008-06-28, 02:21
With latest Avast updates it works again.