PDA

View Full Version : squeezecenter as service in Vista?

jwb
2008-06-05, 17:57
Hello- I was looking for a way to play music from Squeezenetwork simultaneously on my squeezebox and on the receiver connected directly to my computer. Checked out softsqueeze, but it said that if I had version 7.0 of SC or higher, that would be integrated. OK, what version do I have? Can't tell, not obvious. I'll just upload the 7.0 version. So, I do this and SqueezeCenter no longer works. It doesn't load, just says "SqueezeCenter Starting." It doesn't appear under services.

In the FAQ, I find:
---------------------------------------------------------
SlimServer installed on Windows NT/2K/XP constantly says that it is starting but does not appear to actually start.

Answer

It's possible that the server did not install as a service, which is required with the SlimTray application.

To check this, you would want to:
Click Start
Click Run
Type in 'services.msc' and hit enter
Check to see if SlimServer is in the service list

If it isn't, to install it as a service:
Click Start
Click Run
"C:\Program Files\SlimServer\server\slim.exe" -install
(Make sure you include the quotes and the -install portions)
Hit enter, and a window should pop up for up to a minute or so, then disappear.
If you want to ensure that the server starts automatically on boot, go back to services.msc as described above, find SlimServer in the list and change its startup type to "Automatic"
Reboot the computer

If you still have problems after doing this, perhaps you have corrupt preferences or database files. Try removing the following file and folder, rebooting, and trying to restart the server:
Program Files\SlimServer\server\slimserver.pref
Program Files\SlimServer\server\Cache
---------------------------------------------------------

Problem is, I can't seem to figure out how to translate these actions into those that would work on Windows Vista. Man, I hate vista. Hate hate hate hate. Oh, where was I? Yes, how to get it to be a service?

I rolled back to the previous version, and it appeared as a service, but it when I tried to start SC, it still just said "starting." So, after a few reboot cycles, I reinstalled the 7.0 version of SC.

So, right now, my SqueezeNetwork seems to work (if I mess with the controls and go "back" when I turn the squeezebox on) but SqueezeCenter does not.

thanks for any help! Love this product but hate the fact that updates call for extended messing, especially with the Bill Gates nightmare that is Vista!

mherger
2008-06-05, 18:14
> how to get it to be a service?

There's a tool in the SqueezeCenter menu on Windows to do exactly this. Start -> SqueezeCenter

--

Michael

jwb
2008-06-05, 20:49
> how to get it to be a service?

There's a tool in the SqueezeCenter menu on Windows to do exactly this. Start -> SqueezeCenter

--

Michael

You're talking about the SqueezeCenter Service enabler, right? I can select either "Start SqueezeCenter when I log in" or "Start SqueezeCenter automatically when the computer starts" and put in my windows user name and password.

Unfortunately, neither option appears to actually do anything. I select an option (and type in the proper information if I am selecting the second option), it says it is registering the services, then the window closes. I reboot. No change. Either it tries to start and can't, or I manually try to start SQ, it says "SQ starting" but nothing actually happens. I check the services in windows via control panel---system and maintenance---admin tools---services (local) and there is nothing there... nothing beginning with Squeeze or Slim.

I think something in Vista still needs to be messed with. The squeeze software is probably doing what it can, but maybe Vista is thwarting it somehow. The router is OK, internet connection is OK. SqueezeNetwork is OK. Just SqueezeCenter doesn't work.

Ideas?
thanks!

mherger
2008-06-05, 22:55
> You're talking about the SqueezeCenter Service enabler, right? I can
> select either "Start SqueezeCenter when I log in" or "Start
> SqueezeCenter automatically when the computer starts" and put in my
> windows user name and password.

Well, if you can't run SC, then starting it as a service very likely won't run neither. There's something on your system preventing execution.

Have a look at server.log and Windows event viewer. They can give you pointer to why it's failing to start SC.

--

Michael

jwb
2008-06-05, 23:25
> You're talking about the SqueezeCenter Service enabler, right? I can
> select either "Start SqueezeCenter when I log in" or "Start
> SqueezeCenter automatically when the computer starts" and put in my
> windows user name and password.

Well, if you can't run SC, then starting it as a service very likely won't run neither. There's something on your system preventing execution.

Have a look at server.log and Windows event viewer. They can give you pointer to why it's failing to start SC.

--

Michael

Very mysterious. A clean installation of version 7.0 worked
(as described here http://tinyurl.com/5vquw8 on the slim devices site, for whoever might find that helpful).

SC opened and is now re-scanning for music. Must have been some file in the older install that was providing a preference or setting that didn't work with the new version.
thanks for the help and comments to all.
jwb

korinengell
2009-01-09, 02:42
Sounds like we've been having the same problem:

http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=56684

korinengell
2009-01-09, 05:12
I can't even start SqueezeTray.exe on Vista with 7.0. I found this error in the Event Log:

The following information was included with the event:

Open Service failed: The specified service is not installed

Either the component that created the event is not installed on this computer or the installation is corrupt. Install or Restore component on the computer.