PDA

View Full Version : Connecting Receiver via Ethernet

daverich4
2008-06-04, 19:07
I've been using my Duet as an all wireless system but I'm not getting a very good signal where it's located and I get dropouts.Squeezecenter says the signal strength is about 45%. I would like to connect the receiver via ethernet but can't figure out how.On page 15, item 10 in the users guide it says at that point I'll be given a choice between Wireless or Ethernet but that choice never comes up. It just connects to my wireless network and away it goes. Does anyone have any idea what the trick is to getting set up with ethernet? Thanks.

-dave-

radish
2008-06-05, 06:33
It should be something like this:

1) Conect the ethernet cable
2) Press-and-hold the front button for 10 seconds to do a reset
3) Use the Controller to go back through setup - Ethernet should now be an option.

daverich4
2008-06-05, 07:39
Thanks for the reply. However, as I stated in my original post, when I reset the receiver and go back through the setup, I'm not getting the choice to use ethernet. At the point in the directions where it says, "Next you'll get to choose between wireless and ethernet" the receiver just connects to my wireless connection and everything is the same as when I started.
-dave-

ceejay
2008-06-05, 10:52
That suggests that the SBR doesn't think it is connected on a wired network. Have you tried another cable? If you are plugging directly into a PC, are you using a crossover cable?

HTH

cliveb
2008-06-05, 14:49
Thanks for the reply. However, as I stated in my original post, when I reset the receiver and go back through the setup, I'm not getting the choice to use ethernet. At the point in the directions where it says, "Next you'll get to choose between wireless and ethernet" the receiver just connects to my wireless connection and everything is the same as when I started.
I've had all sorts of fun and games with this issue, and there are two things you might want to check:

1. When holding down the front button to do a factory reset, it's important to hold it down long enough that the LED starts flashing red *quickly*. It initially starts flashing slowly, and that's not enough. I spent a long time scratching my head over that one before I discovered the distinction.

2. I found one of my ethernet switches that the SBR simply refused to talk to. Presumably it was a simple incompatibility between ethernet chipsets. I swapped it for a different switch and it was fine.

Oh, and one other thing: it might be necessary to do a Controller factory reset as well. I don't know if it's necessary, but I seem to recall doing it many times when I was floundering, so it might be that it helped.

mikeselectricstuff
2008-06-05, 15:30
Oh, and one other thing: it might be necessary to do a Controller factory reset as well. I don't know if it's necessary, but I seem to recall doing it many times when I was floundering, so it might be that it helped.
ISTR reading here that there are problems starting setup from the controller, and that a factory reset (hold + when inserting battery) is the most reliable way.