PDA

View Full Version : Anyone had any faulty transporters

bad.wolf
2008-06-04, 09:39
After 1 year owning and having great pleasure from a Squeezebox 3, I eagerly, when funds allowed, upgraded to a spanking new transporter. For the first three days I gloried in its wonderful sound and am delighted to say any reservations regarding would it be worth the expense were quickly removed. Amazing clarity and music pings and sings. Itís very good. Then it went wrong.

Faults:
Tracks would stop, although perfect signal All connections were correct and the wireless signal strength was 85%+

Display would go off (not set to) It would power off.
Connecting to squeeze network - complete freeze unable to turn off
Would occasionally come to life before going off
DAB connected via Tosh link would often fail when switched to external just made a digital burbling
To try and rectify, I have updated the Transporter firmware, re-installed the slim server software [7.0.1] even tried the current beta version 7.1 and also updated the firmware
again for the beta software, all to no avail. Its now gone back to Superfi for testing and hope to have a replacement very soon.

Anyone else had similar experiences?

Wolfie 01902

bad.wolf
2008-06-04, 09:40
After 1 year owning and having great pleasure from a Squeezebox 3, I eagerly, when funds allowed, upgraded to a spanking new transporter. For the first three days I gloried in its wonderful sound and am delighted to say any reservations regarding would it be worth the expense were quickly removed. Amazing clarity and music pings and sings. Itís very good. Then it went wrong.

Faults:
Tracks would stop, although perfect signal All connections were correct and the wireless signal strength was 85%+

DAB connected via Tosh link would often fail when switched to external just made a digital burbling
To try and rectify, I have updated the Transporter firmware, re-installed the slim server software [7.0.1] even tried the current beta version 7.1 and also updated the firmware
again for the beta software, all to no avail. Its now gone back to Superfi for testing and hope to have a replacement very soon.

Wolfie 01902

JJZolx
2008-06-04, 09:48

Many of these problems are well known software issues. If you keep it simple and don't use the digital inputs (and maybe SqueezeNetwork - never use it myself) then I think you'll find it to be quite reliable. The software problems are being worked on.

Robin Bowes
2008-06-04, 12:44
bad.wolf wrote:

> Anyone else had similar experiences?

Yeah, some guy posted in the audiophile forum with exactly the same
issues. :|

R.

bad.wolf
2008-06-04, 14:17
Hi Jim,
Thanks for answering, it seems your premise is don't try to make it do what it's alleged to do - just listen to music!

Which is wrong though, if it's supposed to do x,y,z ... then it should Ė not "well, no one uses that, so you have to expect it to give problems" !
As for soft/firmware problems that are still being worked on... disappointing that they are releasing a product, and not a cheap one at that, with sub-standard soft/hardware!

Cheers
Bad.wolf - Jez

Howard Passman
2008-06-05, 02:00
I'm flabbergasted! I've been more or less waiting to hear a Transporter in the off chance it sounds anywhere near as good as my faithful old Revox CD player (mmmmm, warm DAC). It is kind of amazing that it doesn't have the advertised feature set. Maybe they could sell it for $1500 and bill you the rest later when the other features were available. :-(

Well, you have the 30 day trial I guess.

Bummer.

cliveb
2008-06-05, 02:41
I'm flabbergasted! I've been more or less waiting to hear a Transporter in the off chance it sounds anywhere near as good as my faithful old Revox CD player (mmmmm, warm DAC). It is kind of amazing that it doesn't have the advertised feature set. Maybe they could sell it for $1500 and bill you the rest later when the other features were available. :-(
To put this into perspective, the problems that bad.wolf is having are not experienced by everyone. I have owned a Transporter since December 2006, and I only ever found one minor problem with digital input switching, which was fixed in firmware 33.

I do understand that some other users are still having input switching problems. It seems reasonable to assume that there are not different versions of the TP hardware around, so these issues must be due to differing software setups. As we all know, SqueezeCenter can seemingly behave in radically different ways depending on the server machine and network configuration, and the TP only does what SqueezeCenter tells it to do.

FWIW, I run SC 7.0, TP firmware 36, my network is wired ethernet, and the TP is working fine. (I don't use SqueezeNetwork, though).

My advice to bad.wolf is to temporarily try hard wiring his TP to the network via ethernet, just to rule out the chance that wireless networking issues are the root cause of his problems.