PDA

View Full Version : Filing Bugs - Any Point?

rbz5416
2008-06-04, 02:53
I see a common response to anyone who dares to suggest that SqueezeCenter is less than perfect is "well if you don't provide the full details we can't fix it".

http://bugs.slimdevices.com/show_bug.cgi?id=7525

Reported 16/03/08
Confirmed 26/03/08

Since then, nothing despite two requests for an update.

This combined with unexplained WiFi issues sent me back to 6.5.4 but Squeezecenter has broken Softsqueeze completely. Net result is I will probably never upgrade the software again which means I will never buy any more devices as Duet is dependent on it. The current crop of threads with scanning issues seems to vindicate this decision.

Brown nosers need not post telling me it works for them - I'm not interested. I AM interested in why this bug report appears to be being completely ignored.

Patrick Dixon
2008-06-04, 03:37
I see a common response to anyone who dares to suggest that SqueezeCenter is less than perfect is "well if you don't provide the full details we can't fix it".

http://bugs.slimdevices.com/show_bug.cgi?id=7525

Reported 16/03/08
Confirmed 26/03/08

Since then, nothing despite two requests for an update.

This combined with unexplained WiFi issues sent me back to 6.5.4 but Squeezecenter has broken Softsqueeze completely. Net result is I will probably never upgrade the software again which means I will never buy any more devices as Duet is dependent on it. The current crop of threads with scanning issues seems to vindicate this decision.

Brown nosers need not post telling me it works for them - I'm not interested. I AM interested in why this bug report appears to be being completely ignored.
You can of course buy more SB3s as they are not dependent on SC7.

I'm sure if you look through all the bugs you'll find that there are quite a few things listed - it's common practice for people/companies to prioritise their approach to fixing things and maybe your particular issue (although clearly important to you) doesn't rank as high in the wider scheme. If you have a workaround (run standalone), then why not just do that?

IME it is worth reporting bugs: they don't all get fixed, they don't all get fixed instantly, but the ones that do clearly improve the product for everybody else as well - brown-nosed or not.

Robin Bowes
2008-06-04, 04:59
rbz5416 wrote:

> Brown nosers need not post telling me it works for them - I'm not
> interested. I AM interested in why this bug report appears to be being
> completely ignored.

Displaying attitude like that will not help your cause.

Bugs are prioritised and dealt with accordingly. I do not work for SD
and cannot speak authoritatively for them, but it is likely that this is
a low priority issue (doesn't affect many people; component affected is
non-core, i.e. not hardware).

Did you try a later build - 7.0.2 or even the latest from 7.1 branch?

R.

rbz5416
2008-06-04, 05:52
You can of course buy more SB3s as they are not dependent on SC7.Not a chance. If Logitech aren't committed to the product line, why should I be?

I'm sure if you look through all the bugs you'll find that there are quite a few things listed - it's common practice for people/companies to prioritise their approach to fixing things and maybe your particular issue (although clearly important to you) doesn't rank as high in the wider scheme.
Bugs are prioritised and dealt with accordingly. I do not work for SD and cannot speak authoritatively for them, but it is likely that this is a low priority issue (doesn't affect many people; component affected is non-core, i.e. not hardware).I'm not so much concerned that they haven't fixed it, more that they've failed to provide any update despite specific requests to do so.

If you have a workaround (run standalone), then why not just do that?Because that relies on having a copy of the software at the remote location which is why it's supposed to run in a browser in the first place.

Displaying attitude like that will not help your cause.It's an unfortunate fact of forum life that the fanboys will dismiss reports of bugs on the basis that "it works for me so it must be your fault". If you're not one of them then no need for you to take offence. ;)
Did you try a later build - 7.0.2 or even the latest from 7.1 branch?Having confirmed that the bug exists, I don't really feel inclined to continually try new builds on the off chance that it might be fixed. Besides, as I've already said, given the apparent level of other significant bugs in Squeezcenter, I have no intention of installing it again.

mherger
2008-06-04, 06:21
> interested. I AM interested in why this bug report appears to be being
> completely ignored.

It's not being completely ignored. But you might understand that fixing networking issues might be more important. We have to prioritize our ressources.

--

Michael

Robin Bowes
2008-06-04, 07:02
rbz5416 wrote:
> Patrick Dixon;308499 Wrote:
>> You can of course buy more SB3s as they are not dependent on SC7.
> Not a chance. If Logitech aren't committed to the product line, why
> should I be?

So, you have a relatively obscure issue that probably doesn't affect
many users and which is therefore likely a low priority to SD and,
because it's not getting the attention *you* feel it should have you
extrapolate from that that "Logitech aren't committed to the product
line"? Ha ha haha .

rbz5416 wrote:
> Robin Bowes Wrote:
>> Displaying attitude like that will not help your cause

> It's an unfortunate fact of forum life that the fanboys will dismiss
> reports of bugs on the basis that "it works for me so it must be
> your fault". If you're not one of them then no need for you to take
> offence. ;)

Mmm, nope, the smiley doesn't help. I find your attitide offensive. I'm
not a "fanboy", just a happy user + contributor.

Robin Bowes Wrote:
>> Did you try a later build - 7.0.2 or even the latest from 7.1
>> branch?Having confirmed that the bug exists, I don't really feel
>> inclined to
> continually try new builds on the off chance that it might be fixed.
> Besides, as I've already said, given the apparent level of other
> significant bugs in Squeezcenter, I have no intention of installing
> it again.

Ah, I see. Well, you'd better just sit tight and hope someone fixes it
for you. Or perhaps you could try stamping your feet a bit more - it
won't get things fixed any quicker, but it might make you feel better.

R.

rbz5416
2008-06-04, 07:31
ZZZZZzzzzzz

Unsubscribes.

kdf
2008-06-04, 07:40
On 4-Jun-08, at 7:31 AM, rbz5416 wrote:

>
> ZZZZZzzzzzz
>
> Unsubscribes.

and luckily, the bug will still be tracked, reviewed periodically and
perhaps eventually fixed. However, with Softsqueeze planned for
deprecation, it is not the highest priority.
(btw, it does work for me jut fine).
-kdf

CatBus
2008-06-04, 08:06
I think you linked to the wrong bug in your post. Following your link led to a bug where the problem was confirmed within a few weeks, and a workaround was provided by SlimDevices staff until a better fix becomes available.

I'm sure SlimDevices hasn't always been this responsive (although they have with the bugs I've filed). Let me know the corrected bug link and I'll see if I can figure out why they're being so indolent.

Robin Bowes
2008-06-04, 08:48
rbz5416 wrote:
> ZZZZZzzzzzz
>
> Unsubscribes.

Byeeee!

R.

mkanet
2008-06-04, 09:09
I also filed a reproducible bug which affects ALL users of Softsqueeze SqueezeCenter 7.xx and Music services.

All my attempts to get a developer to acknowledge and fix the problem have been blatantly ignored. I even made sure the problem I'm reporting can be reproduced by 2nd tier support staff at (Logitech Slimdevices support).

I know that some people who only use SqueezeBoxes dont want to hear this, but Logitech needs to face it that there's still a large number of people who use SoftSqueeze for its significant advantages over hardware based Squeezeboxes (ie, ability for customizations such as support for bluetooth speakers and headphones and remote control with your mobile phone via bluetooth, integration of a nicer interface into your HDTV's display with the convenience of only one remote control, having full access to it via Internet such as from work, laptop on a trip, etc).

Not charging for officially distributed software isn't a good reason to blatantly ignore reproducible issues being reported which affect a good number of people. I certainly wouldn't mind paying for the software product if it would motivate Logitech to fix very basic and reproducible software issues in a timely fashion.

http://bugs.slimdevices.com/show_bug.cgi?id=8138

toby10
2008-06-04, 09:17
rbz5416 wrote:
> ZZZZZzzzzzz
>
> Unsubscribes.

Byeeee!

R.

I'm still waiting for a fix to my filed bug report.
SC7 simply will not function on my computer (my computer pic enclosed).

http://www.classiccmp.org/dunfield/c64/h/complete.jpg

bhaagensen
2008-06-04, 09:17
Donno if it makes any difference, but if you have a look at

http://svn.slimdevices.com/viewvc.cgi/7.0/?view=log

you can see every single code change, each of them have a bug field. The field refes to the bug the change fixes. I'd say they fix MANY bugs. Many of the N/A fields are also actually bug fixes corresponding to issues reported, but not filed as bugs (I've reported several bugs in the forums only).

Of course ones favourite bug might not be fixed (yet). But I hope you can appreciate that they have a finite number of resources and must prioritize. And it doesn't make sense to assume that they deliberately prioritize the unimportant once!!

Your specific bug even has, in my opinion, an easy workaround.

kdf
2008-06-04, 09:22
>
> I also filed a reproducible bug which affects ALL users of Softsqueeze
> SqueezeCenter 7.xx and Music services.
>
> All my attempts to get a developer to acknowledge and fix the problem
> have been blatantly ignored. I even made sure the problem I'm
> reporting can be reproduced by 2nd tier support staff at (Logitech
> Slimdevices support).

Just because it isn't number one priority does not mean it's "blatantly
ignored". Claiming such, probably won't change it either way (which could
be good because you are clearly trying to inflame, so it wouldn't go in
your favour).

btw, it's also a duplicate bug (see bug 7725, which hasn't been ignored
either). Good news is, there is a target there.

-kdf

erland
2008-06-04, 09:51
Has anyone filed a bug to a company such as Microsoft or Apple, where you actually pay for the software, and got it fixed within a few months ?

My experience so far is that Logitech (together with the community developers) often fix things faster than most other companies, this is the case even though the software is free and doesn't cost anything. Of course, this is still no reason for Logitech to not improve, but it at least makes me think a bit before complaining that bugs aren't corrected fast enough.

Since the code is open sources, you can even fix it yourself or pay a personal developer(For example http://www.rentacoder.com) to fix it for you, so you have the complete control in your own hands.

The advantage of filing bug reports is as already mentioned that they will be tracked and not lost. Bugs only reported in the forum will sometimes get lost among all the other forum discussions.

mkanet
2008-06-04, 10:20
Thanks catching the duplicate. I didnt realize that the original bug filed by me was even done correctly since it was my first bugzilla report.

I just updated the original bug 7725.

>
> I also filed a reproducible bug which affects ALL users of Softsqueeze
> SqueezeCenter 7.xx and Music services.
>
> All my attempts to get a developer to acknowledge and fix the problem
> have been blatantly ignored. I even made sure the problem I'm
> reporting can be reproduced by 2nd tier support staff at (Logitech
> Slimdevices support).

Just because it isn't number one priority does not mean it's "blatantly
ignored". Claiming such, probably won't change it either way (which could
be good because you are clearly trying to inflame, so it wouldn't go in
your favour).

btw, it's also a duplicate bug (see bug 7725, which hasn't been ignored
either). Good news is, there is a target there.

-kdf

mkanet
2008-06-04, 10:24
Thanks for your invaluable information :rolleyes:

Has anyone filed a bug to a company such as Microsoft or Apple, where you actually pay for the software, and got it fixed within a few months ?

My experience so far is that Logitech (together with the community developers) often fix things faster than most other companies, this is the case even though the software is free and doesn't cost anything. Of course, this is still no reason for Logitech to not improve, but it at least makes me think a bit before complaining that bugs aren't corrected fast enough.

Since the code is open sources, you can even fix it yourself or pay a personal developer(For example http://www.rentacoder.com) to fix it for you, so you have the complete control in your own hands.

The advantage of filing bug reports is as already mentioned that they will be tracked and not lost. Bugs only reported in the forum will sometimes get lost among all the other forum discussions.

Mitch Harding
2008-06-04, 10:26
Roll your eyes as you like, but he's absolutely correct.

On Wed, Jun 4, 2008 at 12:24 PM, mkanet
<mkanet.3ahqrn1212600301 (AT) no-mx (DOT) forums.slimdevices.com> wrote:
>
> Thanks for your invaluable information :rolleyes:
>
> erland;308638 Wrote:
>> Has anyone filed a bug to a company such as Microsoft or Apple, where
>> you actually pay for the software, and got it fixed within a few months
>> ?
>>
>> My experience so far is that Logitech (together with the community
>> developers) often fix things faster than most other companies, this is
>> the case even though the software is free and doesn't cost anything. Of
>> course, this is still no reason for Logitech to not improve, but it at
>> least makes me think a bit before complaining that bugs aren't
>> corrected fast enough.
>>
>> Since the code is open sources, you can even fix it yourself or pay a
>> personal developer(For example http://www.rentacoder.com) to fix it for
>> you, so you have the complete control in your own hands.
>>
>> The advantage of filing bug reports is as already mentioned that they
>> will be tracked and not lost. Bugs only reported in the forum will
>> sometimes get lost among all the other forum discussions.
>
>
> --
> mkanet
> ------------------------------------------------------------------------
> mkanet's Profile: http://forums.slimdevices.com/member.php?userid=7965
> View this thread: http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=48496
>
>

FredFredrickson
2008-06-04, 10:36
...I know that some people who only use SqueezeBoxes dont want to hear this, but Logitech needs to face it that there's still a large number of people who use SoftSqueeze for its significant advantages over hardware based Squeezeboxes...

Ok first off- I'm pretty sure they've stopped development on Softsqueeze because they're working on releasing a much more fully featured (and less buggy hopefully) squeezeplay for the desktop. (I might be wrong)

That's why I haven't bothered complaining about the very buggy softsqueeze. I'd say you should just wait it out with the rest of us.

Secondly- You know you'll catch more bees with honey than vinegar, try approaching customer service with a friendly attitude. If you work with them, they'll work with you. If you just make wild accusations, they will have to defend their point instead of help fix the problem.

My experience has been great! The support have helped fix issues I've encountered. The difference? I took the time to be polite and ask. A little friendliness goes a long way.

Phil Leigh
2008-06-04, 11:35
Yeah well some people never learn...they want to moan about not getting their fave bug fixed when they are using "freeware" and have made NO investment in the bug fixers salaries...geesh, it makes my blood boil.
I've bought software costing hundred's of 's and had to wait YEARS to get bugs fixed...and often they never do.

It's not even if the bugs in question are like serious - they are really very trivial and never going to be on anyone's priority list.

I'd like to ban the use of the term "fanboy" on this site - I find it highly offensive to people who have freely invested many many hours of their lives trying to help others to extract maximum enjoyment from their purchases. As it is only ever used by intellectual pond life anyway...I'm calling low tide in the gene pool on that one.

mherger
2008-06-04, 11:40
> Ok first off- I'm pretty sure they've stopped development on
> Softsqueeze because they're working on releasing a much more fully
> featured (and less buggy hopefully) squeezeplay for the desktop. (I
> might be wrong)

You're right. It has been aid several times (I won't use the term "announced" though ;-)). And as SqueezePlay is based on the same code we're using on the controller it's getting a lot of attention from our developpers.

The adventurous could already take a peek at SqueezePlay by checking out and compiling the 7.2 branch. But beware: it's still early state.

--

Michael

andlauer
2008-06-04, 11:59
Hello,

I somewhat agree with the original poster: I bought a SqueezeBox to pick up my iTunes Library, including the all important Internet radio stations. The server never picked up the radio stations, and I use a workaround since Februray 2007. This workaround is not too complicated for me, but for my wife, who needs me whenever she wants to add a new radio station. I like the Slim Devices solutions, but I would not recommend it to novices in computing or people not speaking english (to use the forums).

Here is a link to my bug report: http://bugs.slimdevices.com/show_bug.cgi?id=4770

Patrick Dixon
2008-06-04, 15:18
I'm still waiting for a fix to my filed bug report.
SC7 simply will not function on my computer (my computer pic enclosed).

http://www.classiccmp.org/dunfield/c64/h/complete.jpg

LOL!