PDA

View Full Version : Updating process



mherger
2004-03-07, 10:00
Hi

I just updated to 5.1.1 from 5.1. You recommend first uninstalling the old
version. This will also remove my existing configuration file (well,
rename it). What do I risk when simply replacing the newly created
configuration file by the old backuped version?

--

Michael

-----------------------------------------------------------
http://www.jo-sac.ch/lindenberg - die JO des SAC Lindenberg
http://www.jo-sac.ch - JO-SAC inoffiziell!
http://photo.jo-sac.ch - mein kleines Photoalbum

dean
2004-03-07, 17:37
You shouldn't have to uninstall the old version, but if you do, the old
prefs file should remain and continue to work through the upgrade.


On Mar 7, 2004, at 9:00 AM, Michael Herger wrote:

> Hi
>
> I just updated to 5.1.1 from 5.1. You recommend first uninstalling the
> old version. This will also remove my existing configuration file
> (well, rename it). What do I risk when simply replacing the newly
> created configuration file by the old backuped version?
>
> --
>
> Michael
>
> -----------------------------------------------------------
> http://www.jo-sac.ch/lindenberg - die JO des SAC Lindenberg
> http://www.jo-sac.ch - JO-SAC inoffiziell!
> http://photo.jo-sac.ch - mein kleines Photoalbum
>

Pat Farrell
2004-03-07, 17:40
At 07:37 PM 3/7/2004, dean blackketter wrote:
>You shouldn't have to uninstall the old version, but if you do, the old
>prefs file should remain and continue to work through the upgrade.

I noticed that in the instructions as well. I think it is just that the
website's
wording is outdated.

I'd expect that minor dot level updates can go clearly without
doing an uninstall (rpm -e )

I haven't been arround long enough to know about first digit changes.

Pat

mherger
2004-03-08, 12:57
>> You shouldn't have to uninstall the old version, but if you do, the old
>> prefs file should remain and continue to work through the upgrade.
>
> I noticed that in the instructions as well. I think it is just that the
> website's
> wording is outdated.
>
> I'd expect that minor dot level updates can go clearly without
> doing an uninstall (rpm -e )
>
> I haven't been arround long enough to know about first digit changes.

Thanks for the advice. This is about what I expected. In fact I just
noticed that in uninstalling the rpm I will also lose/recreate the user
"slimserver" I therefore had to manually change some access rights an
group assignments.

--

Michael

-----------------------------------------------------------
http://www.jo-sac.ch/lindenberg - die JO des SAC Lindenberg
http://www.jo-sac.ch - JO-SAC inoffiziell!
http://photo.jo-sac.ch - mein kleines Photoalbum