PDA

View Full Version : Getting album art?

aiken
2008-06-03, 16:22
Ok, this must be so basic that everyone knows the answer. I've done a search on the forums, and while there are tons of results for "album art" or "artwork", they all assume its existence.

I've ripped all of my cd's and have them on a nice NAS. Now what? How do I go about getting the artwork for them? Please excuse if the answer is so obvious that I'm missing it!

pfarrell
2008-06-03, 16:55
aiken wrote:
> Now what? How do I go about getting the artwork for them?

You either grab them manually with your browser from places like Amazon
or allmusic, or you find a utility that you like and run it. It will
then look at your music and go to Amazon or Allmusic or ...

I wrote one long ago, it stopped working a while ago when Amazon changed
their service.

For the five CDs a month I buy, I use the browser right-click-save approach

--
Pat Farrell
http://www.pfarrell.com/

ddewey
2008-06-03, 17:18
Quoting aiken (aiken.3agcrn1212535501 (AT) no-mx (DOT) forums.slimdevices.com):

>
> Ok, this must be so basic that everyone knows the answer. I've done a
> search on the forums, and while there are tons of results for "album
> art" or "artwork", they all assume its existence.
>
> I've ripped all of my cd's and have them on a nice NAS. Now what? How
> do I go about getting the artwork for them? Please excuse if the answer
> is so obvious that I'm missing it!

I've used a bunch - Album Art Aggregator works very well.
http://team.thenexusnet.com/nexus/AAA/

slydog75
2008-06-03, 20:10
What did you rip with? I use Windows Media Player 11 and it gets the album art for me automatically.

brucegrr
2008-06-03, 20:50
Album Art Aggregator for me. Simple. Works.

The only problem I ever had is that the program would not run if my screen resolution was too high (i.e. using my 37inch HD TV as my monitor)

CatBus
2008-06-03, 22:23
I scan them with a flatbed scanner, because online cover art tends to be too low-res for my tastes (but sometimes I prefer high-res Internet images to my own when the vinyl cover is available). Yeah, there's all sorts of freaks in the world.

Uluen
2008-06-04, 03:05
The ones I can't find at Discogs or Google:+artist +"title of album"->images, I scan myself.

adrianr
2008-06-04, 03:48
I recently started from the same place as Aiken. Alternatives to Album Art Aggregator worth checking out include:-

Album Art Downloader
Album Cover Art Downloader

A quick Google will point at their homepages. I haven't worked out which of the three I trust the most, before letting them loose on my collection! One of then is very automated, but another shows vast sources of images with highly varied sizes and qualities. The best result will still need considerable quantities of my time:-)

Heuer
2008-06-04, 05:16
Plan on these software tools getting you about 80% of the cover art (and some will be wrong or alternative covers anyway). After that use http://rateyourmusic.com/find/ to get difficult to find or alternative cover art. Took me a good week to get everything as I wanted but I am still finding errors among the 13,000 songs.

davidcotton
2008-06-04, 11:32
If you don't mind the manual approach then slothradio.com is pretty damn good.