PDA

View Full Version : Problem with distorted sound

boboiusa
2008-06-03, 09:13
Hello everybody. This is my first post so bare with me please.

I have had my player now for a few weeks and I am very positive about all the functionality with the player and Squeezecenter. However I am not that satisfied with the quality I am getting out of the player.

My setup is as follows:

SB3 to my Xindac DA converter via coaxial and then analog to my Denon receiver. Almost all of my music collection which is mostly mp3 and a few flac albums sound very distorted when the dynamic of the music is at full. At lower parts the distortion is not there but when it gets going again it sounds really bad.
I also made a direct connection from SB3 to my receiver with the optical output. the funny thing here is that the threshold of when the distortion sounds is a little bit lower than the other configuration. Maybe the DAC is amplifying the sound to make the distortion even more visible.
Today I made another test and used the analog outputs directly to the receiver. Now the distortion is not as prominent as before, but its still there. It makes long listening sessions impossible.

The reason for buying a SB was to get rid of my HTPC. In the HTPC I have a Auzentech X-Meridian 7.1 sound card with modified Burr Brown DA converters. I had that hooked up to my receiver in a similar fashion as the SB and never had any distortion with the same files that are now playing through the SB.
Now to the strange part; Internet radio stations never gets distorted. When looking at the VU meter on the display they are almost in a much lower part of the scale that when it gets mp3 or flac files. Its not unusual that the VU meter gets past the 0db and up to +2db. but like I said before, the same files never sound bad from the HTPC or any other music player.

Maybe I am not the only one with this problem or maybe some of you have had the same problem before.

I am very grateful to any input in this matter.

Cheers from a very hot and sunny Sweden

/Johan

radish
2008-06-03, 09:17
Do you have ReplayGain enabled? Could be an instance of this: http://bugs.slimdevices.com/show_bug.cgi?id=5119

Phil Leigh
2008-06-03, 09:18
Do both FLAC and MP3 distort?

boboiusa
2008-06-03, 09:28
Replay Gain is not activated.

Yes, it is affecting both FLAC and mp3 files.

I can add that the firmware is #88.

Phil Leigh
2008-06-03, 09:37
Replay Gain is not activated.

Yes, it is affecting both FLAC and mp3 files.

I can add that the firmware is #88.

Can you give us some examples of common (ie that we might have in our collection) albums that do and don't distort?

Phil Leigh
2008-06-03, 09:41
And how exactly were your files ripped?

boboiusa
2008-06-03, 10:22
I have a file for you to try out.

Download it from my ftp

hostname: mrswede.no-ip.org
port 21
username: distortion
password: distortion

make sure it is an active connection and not passive.

I have serious distortion between 7 and 17 seconds. Cracking and what not.

I have made it a wav instead of mp3. I tried on my mp3 player and my HTPC without any distortion. SB and digital outputs very much distortion.

Please let me know what you get. Or if there is any problem downloading the file.

/Johan

Phil Leigh
2008-06-03, 10:51
I have a file for you to try out.

Download it from my ftp

hostname: mrswede.no-ip.org
port 21
username: distortion
password: distortion

make sure it is an active connection and not passive.

I have serious distortion between 7 and 17 seconds. Cracking and what not.

I have made it a wav instead of mp3. I tried on my mp3 player and my HTPC without any distortion. SB and digital outputs very much distortion.

Please let me know what you get. Or if there is any problem downloading the file.

/Johan

OK = downloading the file now...will report back!

Phil Leigh
2008-06-03, 11:06
Well - you aren't going to like this, but:

1) sounds "fine" on my squeezebox3 ... no added distortion
2) sounds absolutely dreadful on my soundcard in my PC - really badly distorted in the first 20 seconds.

????????

How did you create this file?

The beginning part of this file looks like it has been badly normalized (when viewed in Audacity)

boboiusa
2008-06-03, 12:52
Hello Phil.
Well I took the mp3 and imported it to Audacity. I cut the part for the sample and saved that part as a wav instead of using Lame and making a mp3 again.

Your findings are the exact opposite of mine. Are you using analog or digital output from your SB3?

This is really strange!

Phil Leigh
2008-06-03, 12:56
Hello Phil.
Well I took the mp3 and imported it to Audacity. I cut the part for the sample and saved that part as a wav instead of using Lame and making a mp3 again.

Your findings are the exact opposite of mine. Are you using analog or digital output from your SB3?

This is really strange!

I agree - strange.
How did you create the MP3 in the first place? - was it a download?
Sounds really OK on the SB and very bad (unlistenable) on my PC...wife and daughter agree (so of course they must be right!).

Sorry - forgot...I am using the digital output from the SB3

We need someone else to download and try...

Phil Leigh
2008-06-03, 13:00
One odd thing...Audacity shows this as a 44.1/24-bit WAV file... is that correct?

boboiusa
2008-06-03, 13:29
I have uploaded the original file to the ftp. The part i extracted is towards the end. Yes, it is a downloaded file, not something I have ripped myself. The reason i chooses this file is because it is so obvious with the noice.

I hope you can find something else out know with the original mp3.

Thanks!!

Phil Leigh
2008-06-03, 13:32
I have uploaded the original file to the ftp. The part i extracted is towards the end. Yes, it is a downloaded file, not something I have ripped myself. The reason i chooses this file is because it is so obvious with the noice.

I hope you can find something else out know with the original mp3.

Thanks!!

OK - will try it...

boboiusa
2008-06-03, 13:36
Damm you are fast :)

Phil Leigh
2008-06-03, 14:11
Damm you are fast :)

:o)
Interesting track - my daughter informs me this is called "screamo" genre ?
The intro reminds me of Wishbone Ash!

Phil Leigh
2008-06-03, 14:15
Hmmm... well the MP3 sounds fine on my SB3 (when I say fine, I mean there is no obvious unintended distortion).
Also sounds OK on the PC (unlike the WAV version which was unlistenable).

Not sure what is going on with your system. You say that the distortion is apparent through both digital and analogue outputs...don't understand how that could be unless...

Now we really need someone else to try the track - I think it is OK - in which case I would say you have a faulty SB, but the fact that you get distortion on both analogue and digital is odd!

Maybe the Denon amp is not happy?

Do you listen at high levels?
Regards
Phil

boboiusa
2008-06-04, 13:29
Hey Phil.
I am away för the weekend for a small vacation.

I will get back to you on sunday.

Thanks for your input so far.

Cheers :)

/Johan