PDA

View Full Version : Oline music services outside of the USA

mhz
2008-06-02, 22:32
Hi guys,
just recently got myself a new squeezebox and would like to be able to use some of the online music services such as pandora and slacker.
However as most of you know these services are not available to people outside of the USA. I am in Australia and even browsing the sites gives me a message telling me that the services are no longer available to me.

I know you can use proxy servers etc to get around this, but is there a workaround to get them working with the squeezebox at all?

jo-wie
2008-06-13, 14:22
Maybe last.fm is avaiable for you. This service can offer you customized radio alike pandora. Native last.fm service is included in SB.

Greetings to down under

andynormancx
2008-06-13, 14:53
Unfortunately not:

"Right now we can only stream Last.fm radio to the Squeezebox in US, UK and Germany"

jo-wie
2008-06-13, 15:40
Arrghhh, I hate this kind of limitations - are they in Australia different to us? Okay - their head points to a diffent direction than mine. o.O

I vote for music without boundaries.

Regards,

jo-wie

andynormancx
2008-06-13, 15:46
It is simply a historical fact that different companies own the rights to distribute music in different countries. All those rights have to be negotiated separately by people like last.fm, it must be a complete nightmare for them.

jo-wie
2008-06-13, 16:00
I know .... but it's frustrating to be excluded. I've started with Pandora and loved it. No service outside USA anymore. :(

Regards,

jo-wie

maggior
2008-06-14, 13:19
It is simply a historical fact that different companies own the rights to distribute music in different countries. All those rights have to be negotiated separately by people like last.fm, it must be a complete nightmare for them.

The lawyers gotta make a living somehow :-).

I agree, music (and media in general) should have not boundaries.