PDA

View Full Version : Poll: Favorite Online Music Service

jsprag
2008-06-02, 21:01
What is your favorite online music service to use with your Slim Device?

My favorite is Pandora - Great way to find new music across genres. Can't beat the price ($36 for a year).

Trying to find a second service that has more of a playlist or channel style.

What is your favorite and why? Feel free to add your second or third choices as well.

iPhone
2008-06-02, 21:12
What is your favorite online music service to use with your Slim Device?

My favorite is Pandora - Great way to find new music across genres. Can't beat the price ($36 for a year).

Trying to find a second service that has more of a playlist or channel style.

What is your favorite and why? Feel free to add your second or third choices as well.

I listen to Radio IO (the free feed). I do listen to Internet feeds but the quality seems to be lacking so I am not willing to pay for the services. Can anybody point me toward some higher resolution music services or Internet Radio feeds (above 128Kbps)? Are there any in the 320Kbps range?

HectorHughMunro
2008-06-02, 22:47
I listen to Radio IO (the free feed). I do listen to Internet feeds but the quality seems to be lacking so I am not willing to pay for the services. Can anybody point me toward some higher resolution music services or Internet Radio feeds (above 128Kbps)? Are there any in the 320Kbps range?

If you go to the Shoutcast website, you can sort by resolution. Radio Bartok for instance (for classical music) broadcasts 320 kbps. Apparently the BBC gets a speed increase sometime around July.

autopilot
2008-06-03, 03:34
Voted for generic internet radio, as i think that covers Alien BBC etc. Would have voted Last.FM probably if it was on the list :(

Avoid most other internet radio services though, a lot scary right wing American talk shows for my liking.

autopilot
2008-06-03, 03:37
If you go to the Shoutcast website, you can sort by resolution. Radio Bartok for instance (for classical music) broadcasts 320 kbps. Apparently the BBC gets a speed increase sometime around July.

What do you mean a 'speed' increase? you mean they are upping the bitrates?

ModelCitizen
2008-06-03, 03:45
I can't vote for either of mine on the poll so haven't.

Last.FM. The similar artist functions is great for pushing new music at me. I also like the genre/keyword radio and user radio. I don't think it can be beaten.

General Radio has to be BBC. What a great Corporation. Radio 4 alone is worth more than any fifty other stations. Alien BBC is probably the most used function in my ever expanding range of SlimDevice players.

MC

bpa
2008-06-03, 04:33
What do you mean a 'speed' increase? you mean they are upping the bitrates?

Don't get your hopes up - it probably means different formats (e.g. multistreams) and only for UK.

See
http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/bbcinternet/2008/02/streaming_radio_online.html

whitman
2008-06-03, 04:53
For me, AlienBBC is one of the best things about Slimserver and the Squeezebox. I've sold the idea of the system to quite a few friends simply by showing them what AlienBBC can do. I'm surprised Logitech don't actively do the same thing.

Other than the BBC stations and listen-again services through Alien, which could last you a lifetime, I like listening to Radio Paradise.

Paradise plays music that I like and some I don't know, and is ad-free and idiot-presenter-free. I get suspicious of people who talk about quality first and content a poor second - my geek antennas start throbbing - but you might like to know Paradise can he had at 192 whatsits.

Neither AlienBBC nor Paradise are on the poll, so no point in me voting.

corbey
2008-06-03, 07:33
I chose "Generic Internet Radio," although I seldom use Shoutcast.

Two things:

- I prefer a "real" radio station with a live announcer who knows something about the music to a stream programmed by a computer

- It's getting harder and harder to find quality live radio, but there are still a few quality stations that also broadcast on the web, such as KUSC Los Angeles (classical) and KUVO Denver (jazz)

iPhone
2008-06-03, 08:42
I get suspicious of people who talk about quality first and content a poor second - my geek antennas start throbbing - but you might like to know Paradise can he had at 192 whatsits.

It is not so much about the quality of the bit stream as I just don't like to listen to sterile music. MP3s are so flat and lifeless. MP3s are fine for background, but not for really listening. Unfortunately for me, even when I am working, I am really listening. So if the stream is weak, noisy, low quality, it really takes away from the enjoyment that I get out of music.

Content is very important and really the number one thing. But it can't be number one if the quality is so poor that all I am paying attention to is how bad it sounds and how I wish they had better resolution. At that point, I turn off Internet radio and queue up a large playlist or go random with my own music.

After all, why should we be forced to listen to streaming music that sounds worse then MP3s? My entire local radio stations stream at 24 to 48Kbps and it sounds like I am 100 miles outside of Atlanta trying to tune them in on the analog radio in my dad's old Chevelle SS. When I listen to local radio, I listen to HD Broadcast Radio.

I will start checking out some of the suggestions. Thanks to all.

trotsky10
2008-06-16, 04:42
I go for last.fm love it.

Not on the list but others have mentioned it.

Sike
2008-06-16, 05:02
Thanks to to record companies, the good stuff dosn't work in Europe..

Does Slim still domate to the EFF?

Nonreality
2008-06-16, 09:23
Most of the 128 streams from Pandora and others have surprised me on how good it has sounded. I didn't expect it too sound as good as it does so I'm very pleased with it. The thing I like about Pandora is that it introduces me to a lot of new music that I'd never have found out about if I didn't have Pandora. During the day, kids,dogs, cars, dishwashers and much more are my sound floor so the 128 sounds just fine. :)

atrocity
2008-06-16, 10:00
Can anybody point me toward some higher resolution music services or Internet Radio feeds (above 128Kbps)? Are there any in the 320Kbps range?

Radio Paradise has a 192k stream.

KDVS (UC Davis) has 192k and 320k streams.

KEXP has an uncompressed stream, though the last time I checked, it wasn't Squeezebox-friendly and I know of no workaround.

andyg
2008-06-16, 10:17
I recently found some 192k mp3 streams here: http://www.psychedelik.com/

PRGeno
2008-06-16, 10:42
This is a tougher choice than it seems for me. I use several services, with each having their own strengths and weaknesses for my use.

I've loved Pandora, using it since it first became available. But for some reason, they always seem to stick in some out of place piano bar music, completely out of the blue, after playing a great set of songs that match my criteria. I give the song a thumbs down, and up pops another piano bar tune. This happens for 3-4 tracks in a row before it gets back to what I expected. Very odd, and sometimes very annoying.

I also love Rhapsody, for it's ability to find and play almost anything I, or my guests can think of. However, I'm not a big fan of their channels, as they seem limited for a service with so much music to choose from.

Live365 and RadioTime are good. I listen to these services to find specific stations, but typically the audio quality is not great for the stations I listen too. Radio quality audio, usually worse than FM, but better than AM.

My favorite service for just sitting and having a virtual DJ play music for me is definitely Slacker. The mix of popular and unique/obscure (but good and well placed in the mix) tracks, along with good quality sound. The ability to add to the stations, kind of like Pandora is very nice.

So my vote is to all services for offering more choices than we've ever had in the past. But if I had to vote for just one, Slacker is the one I listen to the most.

andynormancx
2008-06-16, 10:43
I voted for Pandora, but unfortunately being in the UK I can no longer listen to it. I'd happily pay my $36 if I was in the States.

I have played with last.fm, but most of the artists that I like they only have 1 or 2 tracks available from, which doesn't bode well for them being able to play music similar to what I like.

heidtheba
2008-06-16, 10:55
1) Last.fm. Absolute gold-dust, given that UK users have less services to pick from. The joyous discovery of 'Play Tag' radio and 'Similar Artists' radio fully affirmed to me just how superb a Squeezebox is.

2) AlienBBC. The BBC 'listen again' archives at your fingertips, from your sofa or bed, is all you can ask for when it comes to having enough quality UK radio to choose from.

IMHO these two services alone are what Logitech should really push in the UK if they want to make people sit up and notice. I know of a great many people, who may regard themselves as music/internet savvy, who had no idea about such features. Marketing is just not localised enough country-wise, or reaching the Joe Bloggs/'PC World' shoppers it needs to.

mattybain
2008-06-17, 00:09
LastFM here too, IMO much better than Pandora and let's face it to be honest one of the only on-line services we can get in the UK.

Philip Meyer
2008-06-17, 11:38
Another flawed poll - Last.fm is missing, which is my favourite music service that I can actually use.

Half of the other choices are unavailable outside of the USA.

>- Pandora
>- Rhapsody
>- Slacker
>- Sirius

bobkoure
2008-06-17, 11:57
I find that my use of MuicIP has pushed Pandora into the "occasional" category. Way too much money spent on CDs over the years, I guess...
I do wish they (Pandora) would have a more-explicitly "find new music" mode. For instance, If I've given them a number of tunes/artists that I want to hear things that are similar to, I then want to not hear those specific tunes/artists. The limit per hour on the number of times you can "skip" are a bit of a PITA as well, particularly in "find new music" mode.
I find that Pandora 128CBR sounds fine, so long as I'm not listening carefully/critically, even on the Magnepans in the living room.

PRGeno
2008-06-17, 14:29
Another flawed poll - Last.fm is missing, which is my favourite music service that I can actually use.

Half of the other choices are unavailable outside of the USA.

>- Pandora
>- Rhapsody
>- Slacker
>- Sirius

It's a shame that those other services are not available to you.
IMHO LastFM can't hold a candle to any of them.

studley
2008-07-08, 07:08
I missed the poll, but I love last.fm. Slacker is second but I play with (and subscribe to) them all. I'm insane for recommendation engines.

Cheers, David

chris.mason
2008-07-08, 08:18
I can't vote for either of mine on the poll so haven't.

Last.FM. The similar artist functions is great for pushing new music at me. I also like the genre/keyword radio and user radio. I don't think it can be beaten.

MC

Same here. Why isn't Last.fm on the list?

jsprag
2008-07-09, 09:58

Because i wasn't aware of it when I created the poll.

autopilot
2008-07-10, 03:05

Because when he created the poll, last.fm support was not official - only available via a third party plugin i guess.