PDA

View Full Version : MusicIp causing a rescan - why?

Phil Leigh
2008-06-02, 11:10
I've just noticed that when I add a CD and tell MusicIP about to add the new tracks and then MusicIp to start its analysis of the new tracks, Squeezecenter 7.01 starts off a rescan - which stops the MusicIp analysis until the scan (of 30k tracks) completes!

Why does it do this? I want control over when SC rescans...any ideas if this can be controlled?

I'm running MusicIP via its web GUI at http://localhost:10002/server
Thanks
Phil

mherger
2008-06-02, 12:37
> Why does it do this? I want control over when SC rescans...any ideas if
> this can be controlled?

Change the rescan timeout in the MIP settings.

--

Michael

Phil Leigh
2008-06-02, 13:37
> Why does it do this? I want control over when SC rescans...any ideas if
> this can be controlled?

Change the rescan timeout in the MIP settings.

--

Michael
Michael - thanks...I've set the reload interval to zero.
Regards
Phil

Ultraviolet
2008-07-01, 06:39
I'm having the same issue. Where is this reload interval setting? I can't seem to find it.

schiegl
2008-07-01, 08:41
have you looked at: Settings -> Advanced -> (select) MusicIP -> MusicIP Reload Interval?

ModelCitizen
2008-09-06, 04:40
My problem is almost the converse.

yesterday reinstalled SC and rescanned. The whole scan takes nearly 4 hours, half of this time due to SC performing a MusicIP scan. I've just made a change to SC settings (add tag delimiter and group VA albums together) and the scan has just set off again, which means I now have another four hours of computer instability to endure.

a) As it does not seem necessary for SC to rescan my MusicIP tags every time I initiate anything but a full database wipe and rescan is there a way I can stop it doing this?
b) Also, why is it necessary for SC to rescan MusicIP tags separately from its normal scan? Can't the two be merged? I assume it'd be much quicker.

I should probably mention that my MusicIP stuff has been written to my files tags.

Late edit:
Scan has just finished:

Directory Scan (23924 of 23924) Complete 01:33:03
MusicIP Import (23888 of 23888) Complete 02:08:09
Playlist Scan (13 of 13) Complete 00:00:19
Merge Various Artists (1642 of 1642) Complete 00:03:09
Artwork Scan (1767 of 1767) Complete 00:30:12
Database Optimize Complete 00:02:12
SqueezeCenter has finished scanning your music collection. Total Time: 04:17:04

MC

Harry G
2008-09-07, 18:17
....Late edit:
Can has just finished:

MC

By scanning both your directory and MusicIP rather than MusicIP alone, don't you end up with each album showing up twice? This was happening to me when I tried it while using an earlier SC release, maybe 6.5.

If there is a trick to make this work, I'd really like to know as I miss being able to access my music directory in SqueezeCenter.

ModelCitizen
2008-09-07, 23:46
By scanning both your directory and MusicIP rather than MusicIP alone, don't you end up with each album showing up twice?

No, all is normal apart from the huge time it takes to complete a scan.
I don't know why our experience should be different.
I am using 7.2 and I point both MIP and SC at a folder containing shortcuts to my music drives.

So, if I don't point SC at any music folder (as recommended elsewhere) then I can't browse my music directory? Normally I add new individual albums to SCs database by navigating to them via Browse Music Folder. It'd be bad if I couldn't do that (and/or if MIP initiated a complete scan every time I added an album).

In addition MIP tag functionality is limited. For instance (as noted elsewhere) I use tag delimers for genres (i.e. choral;christmas). MIP does not handle these.

I think that not pointing SC at a music folder is probably not an option for me. :-(

MC

Philip Meyer
2008-09-08, 01:10
>I've just reinstalled SC and rescanned. The whole scan takes nearly 4
>hours, half of this time due to SC performing a MusicIP scan.
>
I changed the SqueezeCenter MusicIP plugin to work differently - I've added an option so that it won't read tag data from MusicIP (i.e. it uses SC's scanner to read music files, and only uses MIP for making mixes). This allowed me to speed up the scanning process, as it only requests the mixable status for songs that are not mixable when a rescan is performed.

I added my changes as a patch to bug 5637 (http://bugs.slimdevices.com/show_bug.cgi?id=5637).

I have created a zip file of the modified plugin on my website - if you want to try it, download the zip and replace the content in server/slim/Plugins/MusicMagic.

http://www.hergest.demon.co.uk/Music/music.shtml

ModelCitizen
2008-09-08, 05:03
I have created a zip file of the modified plugin on my website - if you want to try it, download the zip and replace the content in server/slim/Plugins/MusicMagic.

Thanks Phil. That'll do nicely. I'll use it as soon as I've sorted out the latest SC problem I have (SC entering tags into it's database that don't "appear" to be in my files or MusicIP any longer).

MC

mherger
2008-09-08, 05:42
Phil,

> I changed the SqueezeCenter MusicIP plugin to work differently - I've added an option so that it won't read tag data from MusicIP (i.e. it uses SC's scanner to read music files, and only uses MIP for making mixes).

I planned to work on the MIP stuff very soon. So your patch let's the user choose between the "classic" mode, where SC would read all data from MIP and update its DB, and your new mode, where only the mixable state is read? (I'm sorry, I missed the original discussion of the topic...)

> This allowed me to speed up the scanning process, as it only requests the mixable status for songs that are not mixable when a rescan is performed.

That sounds great, as my low-power systems is chewing way too long on the MIP import :-).

--

Michael

Harry G
2008-09-08, 07:27
No, all is normal apart from the huge time it takes to complete a scan.
I don't know why our experience should be different.
I am using 7.2 and I point both MIP and SC at a folder containing shortcuts to my music drives.

So, if I don't point SC at any music folder (as recommended elsewhere) then I can't browse my music directory? Normally I add new individual albums to SCs database by navigating to them via Browse Music Folder. It'd be bad if I couldn't do that (and/or if MIP initiated a complete scan every time I added an album).

In addition MIP tag functionality is limited. For instance (as noted elsewhere) I use tag delimers for genres (i.e. choral;christmas). MIP does not handle these.

I think that not pointing SC at a music folder is probably not an option for me. :-(

MC

I used to enter new music just like you do. Really miss being able to.

Since it works for you, I ran a fresh scan, exposing my music directory as well as MusicIP before I went to bed. Just now woke up in the middle of the night to find the following:
Library Statistics

Total Tracks: 94,453

Total Albums: 0

Total Artists: 0

Total Genres: 0

Total Playing Time: 6736:29:20

Music Scan Details
Directory Scan (1 of 98744) Running 03:52:41

I've rebooted SC 7.3-test (Debian). Am trying again now and will check in the morning(yawn). Thus far, it doesn't look good as "Scan details" only shows the option to abort, no real details.

Re: tags. I gather you use the delimiters for a script. MusicIP is flexible enough to show more than the hopelessly inadequate standard tags. I use about a dozen made up ones for jazz and nearly as many for different decades and styles of Rock, ie; "Rock 60s UK" "Rock 60s US." In all, about 160 made up genres. MusicIP passes them all to SC.

Phil Leigh
2008-09-08, 08:14
Phil,

> I changed the SqueezeCenter MusicIP plugin to work differently - I've added an option so that it won't read tag data from MusicIP (i.e. it uses SC's scanner to read music files, and only uses MIP for making mixes).

I planned to work on the MIP stuff very soon. So your patch let's the user choose between the "classic" mode, where SC would read all data from MIP and update its DB, and your new mode, where only the mixable state is read? (I'm sorry, I missed the original discussion of the topic...)

> This allowed me to speed up the scanning process, as it only requests the mixable status for songs that are not mixable when a rescan is performed.

That sounds great, as my low-power systems is chewing way too long on the MIP import :-).

--

Michael

I've probably done something wrong, but I installed Phil's patch (and saw the new option on the plugin settings, which I left unchecked) and then did a complete rescan, having re-entered E:\ as my music directory...

It still took 1 hour 49 mins and seemed to read the music directory and then do a musicIP import...

Does this sound correct?

ModelCitizen
2008-09-08, 11:11
Re: tags. I gather you use the delimiters for a script.

Can't help you with why I don't get duplicate entries and you do....

...but, I don't use delimiters for any scripts. I use delimiters as I want some songs to appear in two (or more) genres. For instance, Christmas;Choral and Singer Songwriter;Acoustic seem to crop up a lot. As I've set the tag delimiter in SC to be ; SC puts songs tagged thus into the two specified genres whereas MIP creates Christmas;Choral as a genre in it's own right.
:-(

MC

Philip Meyer
2008-09-08, 11:50
>I planned to work on the MIP stuff very soon. So your patch let's the user choose between the "classic" mode, where SC would read all data from MIP and update its DB, and your new mode, where only the mixable state is read? (I'm sorry, I missed the original discussion of the topic...)
>
Yes, that's about right. I called the new setting "Read Song Data", which could probably be changed to something more meaningful (eg. "Read MusicIP Tags"), or combined with "Use MusicIP" (make it a drop-down list containing something like "Off", "Read only Mix Status" or "Read Tags").

There's more info in the comments on the bug report.

>> This allowed me to speed up the scanning process, as it only requests the mixable status for songs that are not mixable when a rescan is performed.
>
>That sounds great, as my low-power systems is chewing way too long on the MIP import :-).
>
Performance improvements are also detailed in the bug comments. Full scans are better, but the real benefit is with scans for new/changed music, where it now only takes a second to get the mixable status for a new album of songs, rather than rescan all songs again.

Phil

Philip Meyer
2008-09-08, 12:12
>I've probably done something wrong, but I installed Phil's patch (and
>saw the new option on the plugin settings, which I left unchecked) and
>then did a complete rescan, having re-entered E:\ as my music
>directory...
>
>It still took 1 hour 49 mins and seemed to read the music directory and
>then do a musicIP import...
>
>Does this sound correct?

Might be correct. Have a look in Settings/Status to see the results of the last rescan - you can see how long each stage of the rescan took, and the overall duration.

A full rescan still needs to fetch the mixable status of every song. The patch improves the MusicIP import time for a full rescan, but the overall time may not be as significant (SqueezeCenter folder scanning is necessary, etc).

Someone posted some stats on the bug report:

Before:
MusicIP-Import (6961 von 6961) Beendet 00:24:04
SqueezeCenter hat das Durchsuchen ihrer Musiksammlung abgeschlossen. Laufzeit: 01:08:52

After:
MusicIP-Import (6961 von 6961) Beendet 00:07:42
SqueezeCenter hat das Durchsuchen ihrer Musiksammlung abgeschlossen. Laufzeit: 00:52:06

This is comparing a scan for a 7.000 track library on a 1GHz, 1GB RAM, 1TB SATA HD Via C7 machine, 7.2 as of Aug 25th, Ubuntu server 7.10, Phil's patched plugin, full rescan.

So, that's three times faster for the MusicIP import phase of a full rescan, or an overall full scan improvement of 25%

However, the real benefit is when doing scans for new/changed music, as it only does the MusicIP import for any songs in the SqueezeCenter library that don't have mixable status (should be really quick).

Philip Meyer
2008-09-08, 16:25
>As I've set the tag delimiter in SC to be ; SC puts songs tagged thus
>into the two specified genres whereas MIP creates Christmas;Choral as a
>genre in it's own right.

Yep, MusicIP is good, but SC scanning/library capabilities are far superior. Therefore, don't let MusicIP overwrite your tag info in SC (using my plugin patch). Then, SC library will still be good, and only if you use MusicIP GUI will you see problematic tag data.

An additional thing you could do with Genre tags is to actually add multiple genre tags to your files, rather than use a delimiter.

I use Mp3Tag, which allows me to enter multiple genres (you can enter "Singer Songwriter\\Acoustic", and this will automatically store two separate genre tags. FLAC fully supports multiple genres. With mp3 id3v2 tags (no real standard), it stores a null delimeter between the genres.

SqueezeCenter supports this; you will get the same behaviour as using ";" delimier - the song belonging to two genres. Foobar supports it too.

There is a benefit with "unaware" applications, such as MusicIP, as they read up to the null and ignore the rest. So, if you put your primary genre in first, MusicIP will read just that genre - you don't get additional genres where it has ignored the ";" delimeter, which is a bit better.

However, it often means that if you rewrite tags back from an "unaware" application, the additional genres will be lost. eg. if you "archive analysis" in MusicIP, it modifies the tags, and will write only the first genre back, losing any genres that it didn't previously read from the tags.

Phil

ModelCitizen
2008-09-08, 23:07
I use Mp3Tag, which allows me to enter multiple genres (you can enter "Singer Songwriter\\Acoustic", and this will automatically store two separate genre tags.
I didn't know this. I use MP3Tag too and will look into how simple it will be to change my genre tags to use // instead of ;. Thanks.

if you "archive analysis" in MusicIP, it modifies the tags, and will write only the first genre back, losing any genres that it didn't previously read from the tags.

Hmmm. I let MIP "archive analysis" but I thought this meant that it just wrote the MIP data to my files. As my genre delimiter is still intact I must be right? Maybe I've set somehting else that makes sure that MIP only archives its own tags to my files... and not any other tags. It'd be pretty disastrous if MIP overwrote my tag info.

I'm beginning to become a bit wary of this application.

MC

Philip Meyer
2008-09-09, 00:42
>I didn't know this. I use MP3Tag too and will look into how simple it
>will be to change my genre tags to use // instead of ;. Thanks.
>
Note: \\ not //.

This is a shortcut that works only in the quick edit panel fields. For tags that support multiple values, it will generate two tag entries, the same as opening the advanced tag window and entering two tag "name, value" pairs.

>Hmmm. I let MIP "archive analysis" but I thought this meant that it
>just wrote the MIP data to my files.
That's what it is supposed to do, but I think it writes the whole set of id3 tags back, because it definitely loses my additional genres if I've used the null separator. If you've used a normal character, such as ";" as a delimiter, you will be okay. However, once I found this bug, I was wary of using archive analysis, because what other tag data may it mess up?

I'll post a bug report into the MusicIP forum.

FLAC file tags work fine. MusicIP understands two genre tags, but unfortunately lists them as semi-colon delimited list in the genre panel, rather than associating with two separate genres. So I have a genre listed as "Acoustic;Live" and another one "Live;Acoustic", with different artists in each genre bucket.

Phil

Wirrunna
2008-09-10, 01:05
>
I changed the SqueezeCenter MusicIP plugin to work differently - I've added an option so that it won't read tag data from MusicIP (i.e. it uses SC's scanner to read music files, and only uses MIP for making mixes). This allowed me to speed up the scanning process, as it only requests the mixable status for songs that are not mixable when a rescan is performed.

I added my changes as a patch to bug 5637 (http://bugs.slimdevices.com/show_bug.cgi?id=5637).

Philip,
I downloaded and installed your modified plugin and it works as you said. Took 20 mins off a clear and rescan (from 1 hour 20 minutes), and a new and changed music scan now takes 2 minutes 19 seconds. Mixes work the same. Also has reduced the number of albums in my library while maintaining the same number of tracks.
Makes me ask why did the original version operate the way it did ?
Thank you for the good work.

ModelCitizen
2008-09-12, 06:23
Well, thank you very much Phil. I'me now using your latest release of the adapted MusicIP plugin and have found that full clear and rescan time is now much shorter:

With old MusicIP plugin:

With new MusicIP plugin:

Directory Scan (24065 of 24065) Complete 01:11:14
MusicIP Import (23886 of 23886) Complete 00:28:12
Playlist Scan (13 of 13) Complete 00:00:18
Merge Various Artists (1645 of 1645) Complete 00:03:10
Artwork Scan (1772 of 1772) Complete 00:30:04
Database Optimize Complete 00:01:46
SqueezeCenter has finished scanning your music collection. Total Time: 02:14:44

Can't quite understand why the Directory Scan was faster though, but shaving 1.5 hours of the MusicIP scan is really great.

MC

egd
2008-09-13, 17:51
However, it often means that if you rewrite tags back from an "unaware" application, the additional genres will be lost. eg. if you "archive analysis" in MusicIP, it modifies the tags, and will write only the first genre back, losing any genres that it didn't previously read from the tags. Hi Phil

This may be correct if you're using other applications to tag your music, but it definitely doesn't apply to using "archive analysis" - it simply adds an additional two tags and leaves the remaining tags untouched. I have the same multiple genres you describe and archiving analysis and running apply_replaygain.pl are the last steps in my tagging process. My genre tags remain unaffected.

Fantastic patch BTW, thanks. :)

egd
2008-09-13, 17:59
I didn't know this. I use MP3Tag too and will look into how simple it will be to change my genre tags to use // instead of You need to use \\, not //. It's easily done through a search and replace action, searching for ';' in the GENRE tag and replacing it with \\. Have a look at Split Artists.mta (http://forums.slimdevices.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=5751&d=1220226142actions) and replace ARTIST with GENRE to create an action that will take care of it for you. It considers both a comma and semicolon as delimiters.

I'm beginning to become a bit wary of this application.No need, it adds tags, rather than rewrites them.

ModelCitizen
2008-09-14, 02:25
egd, thanks.

I'll probably try the search and replace at some point (but currently balk at opening 24k tracks in MP3tag).

BTW. I've already got all those little mta scripts of yours. Very useful they are too. :-)

MC

Philip Meyer
2008-09-14, 09:57
>You need to use \\, not //. It's easily done through a search and
>replace action, searching for ';' in the GENRE tag and replacing it
>with \\.
>
I'm sure I tried to write some Mp3Tag action scripts to split ";" into multiples using "\\" and just got a \ symbol in the replaced content. May have been a bug/old version. I'll try that again.

>No need, it adds tags, rather than rewrite them.
Not in this case. It definitely loses extra genre information when saving analysis tags, which means it is writing all tags back.

Test case:
1. Save a copy of an mp3 file.
2. Edit the tags to set ARTIST="Test", ALBUM="Test", GENRE="Test1\\Test2" in Mp3Tag.
3. Open MusicIP and wait for it to analyse the new file.
4. Select the file and perform "Archive Analysis".
5. Open Mp3Tag for the file again, and witness that GENRE is now only "Test1".

I am using the latest Beta version of MusicIP (1.9 beta 6).

Philip Meyer
2008-09-14, 09:59
>This may be correct if you're using other applications to tag your
>music, but it definitely doesn't apply to using "archive analysis" - it
>simply adds an additional two tags and leaves the remaining tags
>untouched. I have the same multiple genres you describe and archiving
>analysis and running apply_replaygain.pl are the last steps in my
>tagging process. My genre tags remain unaffected.

See my other post - it definitely loses the GENRE tag info when I archive analysis, without doing anything else in MusicIP or other application.

Phil

egd
2008-09-14, 14:24
I'm sure I tried to write some Mp3Tag action scripts to split ";" into multiples using "\\" and just got a \ symbol in the replaced content. May have been a bug/old version. I'll try that again. I've posted actions in the rip/tag forum to do the same on ARTIST, STYLE, MOOD etc, easy to reuse.

Test case:
1. Save a copy of an mp3 file.
2. Edit the tags to set ARTIST="Test", ALBUM="Test", GENRE="Test1\\Test2" in Mp3Tag.
3. Open MusicIP and wait for it to analyse the new file.
4. Select the file and perform "Archive Analysis".
5. Open Mp3Tag for the file again, and witness that GENRE is now only "Test1".

I am using the latest Beta version of MusicIP (1.9 beta 6).Aah, I haven't tried it with mp3, only FLAC. My apologies.

There is a simple workaround for this also - just write an mp3tag action to populate a new tag based on your GENRE tag, then archive analysis and then have an action reapply the GENRE based on the new tag you created. I'd test this first to ensure MiP only truncates the GENRE tag and not the lot.

Philip Meyer
2008-09-14, 15:27
>Aah, I haven't tried it with mp3, only FLAC. My apologies.
>
Yes, FLAC tags are fine, as it's a decent standard :)

Mp3 fails because it's not a standard feature - it's a bit of a kludge to overcome a failing in the standard. A kludge that some apps support, and doesn't break other apps, in that they can still read the tags, but don't see the extra info.

The only problem is when they rewrite tags, because you lose the info.

And that's why it is important to make people aware that Archive Analysis doesn't appear to just add a couple of new tags, it re-writes the whole tag block, which means the genre kludge, and possibly other mp3 tag kludges (there may be other) could cause loss of information when using MIP.

I've posted a bug report in the MIP beta forum, and Whicken said he'd look into it, so this problem is likely to be fixed.

For this reason, I don't chance writing info into mp3 tags from most apps (iTunes, dbPowerAmp, MIP, etc), and only stick to mp3tag and foobar which I know well.

I do run Archive Analysis for FLAC files (I've created a filter to find only FLAC files and run Archive Analysis on those).

Phil

Wirrunna
2008-09-14, 18:58
>

Philip,
This is a very good fix to this plugin, but I think it has been missed by most MIP users due to the thread title. I believe it deserves it's own thread with a title such as "Great improvement in scanning time due to MIP plugin mod."
Meanwhile, keep the very informative discussion going.

Philip Meyer
2008-09-14, 23:57
>This is a very good fix to this plugin, but I think it has been missed
>by most MIP users due to the thread title. I believe it deserves it's
>own thread with a title such as "Great improvement in scanning time due
>to MIP plugin mod."
>Meanwhile, keep the very informative discussion going.
>
I think i've mentioned it in several threads, and I think it got some coverage in the plugins forum. I didn't want to go repeating myself everywhere, and it's not a straightforward adding a third-party plugin; people may not like the idea of overwriting official code.

The patch has been applied to the 7.3 code stream, so will be official in that release.

egd
2008-09-15, 02:30
The patch has been applied to the 7.3 code stream, so will be official in that release.That's great news, thanks :)

Zevs
2008-09-16, 11:50
>I've just reinstalled SC and rescanned. The whole scan takes nearly 4
>hours, half of this time due to SC performing a MusicIP scan.
>

Hi Phil!

I thought this all sounded fantastic, have had big problems with the long scanning times for newly added music. So downloaded your plugin, deleted the old MusicMagic folder and extracted your files into what then became the new MusicMagic folder. I see the new line about Read Song Data for the plugin in the SC web interface, and kept it unchecked as you advised. Scanning for new content then went much faster than before, but the problem is I don't see any menu item for making MusicIp mixes on any of the new tracks. So wonder what could have gone wrong.

Directory Scan ( of ) Complete 00:01:18
MusicIP Import (722 of 722) Complete 00:00:04
Playlist Scan (17 of 17) Complete 00:01:20
iTunes Import (6 of 6) Complete 00:00:00
iTunes Playlist Import (13 of 13) Complete 00:00:00
Merge Various Artists (4056 of 4056) Complete 00:01:06
Database Cleanup #1 (56338 of 56338) Complete 00:00:47
Database Cleanup #2 ( of ) Complete 00:00:59
Database Optimize ( of ) Complete 00:01:41
SqueezeCenter has finished scanning your music collection. Total Time: 00:07:15

Zevs

Philip Meyer
2008-09-16, 12:45
>I thought this all sounded fantastic, have had big problems with the
>long scanning times for newly added music. So downloaded your plugin,
>deleted the old MusicMagic folder and extracted your files into what
>then became the new MusicMagic folder. I see the new line about Read
>Song Data for the plugin in the SC web interface, and kept it unchecked
>as you advised. Scanning for new content then went much faster than
>before, but the problem is I don't see any menu item for making MusicIp
>mixes on any of the new tracks. So wonder what could have gone wrong.

>Directory Scan ( of ) Complete 00:01:18

The Directory Scan "( of )" seems to indicate that it hasn't found any music.

Have you set a SqueezeCenter music path in the settings? Some people were apparently told to clear the SqueezeCenter music path to avoid duplicates when reading song data from MusicIP. As it will now be reading song tag information through the SqueezeCenter scanner, it needs to be told where to find the data.

Alternatively, is the music path in SqueezeCenter exactly the same as the music path in MusicIP (eg. are you using a mapped network drive in one place, and a UNC path in the other, etc).

Phil

Zevs
2008-09-16, 19:49
>Directory Scan ( of ) Complete 00:01:18[/color]

The Directory Scan "( of )" seems to indicate that it hasn't found any music.

Have you set a SqueezeCenter music path in the settings? Some people were apparently told to clear the SqueezeCenter music path to avoid duplicates when reading song data from MusicIP. As it will now be reading song tag information through the SqueezeCenter scanner, it needs to be told where to find the data.

Alternatively, is the music path in SqueezeCenter exactly the same as the music path in MusicIP (eg. are you using a mapped network drive in one place, and a UNC path in the other, etc).

Phil

Thanks for the reply Phil! The reason for the ( of ) in the Directory scan line was just that I was surprised to not getting any MusicIP mix item for the new songs, that I immediately did another rescan, and then of course there were no new files to find. The number of new tracks was probably 722 the first time I scanned. Sorry about that! It did definitively find the new tracks with covers and all, just no MusicIP mixing option. I have my settings set with the music path for the normal SqueezeCenter directory scan (Music folder) to L:\Music, which is exactly the same address I use in MusicIP.

Zevs

Zevs
2008-09-17, 10:43
hmmm.... well I don't understand at all what is happening with this, I did take away again the MusicMagic folder and replaced it once more with Phil's new improved plugin. After doing that I can't any longer see the option "Read Song Data", it has just disappeared from the plugin settings. Strange! Have tried several times with the same result! When I then scan for new music things go really fast, but as I said in the previous post I don't get the mixable tracks. .... but ... my drive keeps giving quite noises as if it is still scanning and after several hours there as by magic is the mixable MusicIP option for the tracks. So on my system it seems that Phil's revised plugin, goes through the motions very rapidly, but then behind this the real, normal, slow MusicIp scanning is occuring anyhow, and I need that to get the tracks to be mixable. Very strange..... no idea why, but why else were the tracks that were not mixable this morning mixable now in the evening ... with no intervention by me....

Zevs

Philip Meyer
2008-09-17, 11:46
Hi Zevs <Zevs.3fw7oz1221673501 (AT) no-mx (DOT) forums.slimdevices.com>,

>Very strange..... no idea why, but why
>else were the tracks that were not mixable this morning mixable now in
>the evening ... with no intervention by me....
>
In the MusicIP settings, there is an option called "MusicIP Reload Interval". If this is not 0, SqueezeCenter will look for new changes in MusicIP at that interval. I suggest you set this to 0.

Zevs
2008-09-17, 19:39
Hi Zevs <Zevs.3fw7oz1221673501 (AT) no-mx (DOT) forums.slimdevices.com>,
In the MusicIP settings, there is an option called "MusicIP Reload Interval". If this is not 0, SqueezeCenter will look for new changes in MusicIP at that interval. I suggest you set this to 0.

Thanks Phil, I know about that setting, and it is definitively on 0, so that has nothing to do with it. I added new music last night, was not mixable then, and not now early in the morning, but if the behaviour is the same as last time, they will be mixable tonight when I get home from work :)

Zevs

Philip Meyer
2008-09-18, 01:10
>Thanks Phil, I know about that setting, and it is definitively on 0, so
>that has nothing to do with it. Why can't I see you added menu item any
>more, any ideas around that ?
>
It could be the use of a version id in the musicip.prefs file. When you upgraded first time, the version number wnet up, but when you downgraded and upgraded again, it's not doing something that is necessary.

You could try taking a backup of the C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\SqueezeCenter\prefs\plugin\musicip.prefs file, then delete it and restart SC.

>I added new music last night, was not
>mixable then, and not now early in the morning, but if the behaviour is
>the same as last time, they will be mixable tonight when I get home from
>work :)
Bizarre!

I can only think that a scan for new/changed files is not finding the mixable status due to error (turn plugins.musicip logging level to debug and look in the scanner log C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\SqueezeCenter\Logs\scanner.log).

Maybe you have an automatic full rescan scheduled to run each night using the rescan plugin?

Phil

Zevs
2008-09-18, 08:59
Hi Phil!

Thanks for trying to help! Very much appreciated! I will try the debugging during the weekend when I have more time. I think though it is the Trolls that are working their magic. This evening, you menu item was back on again, but the new tracks still hadn't got to be mixable. Crazy I know, but the Trolls....:)

Zevs

Zevs
2008-09-20, 23:12
It actually seems I have to make two scans to get my new music remixable. No idea why, but it is OK since every scan now goes so much faster than ever before with Phil's modified plugin.

Zevs

DigitalMitch
2008-09-23, 13:51
Phil, the update to the plugin is great.

I wasn't bothered by the scan speed, as I always do a complete rescan every night.

However, the use of SqueezeCentre's scan of the tag data is far better than MusicIP and I now get the expected impact of tag changes.

I'll look and see if any other threads (many that I've trawled in vain) may also benefit from this fix (they'll need to know even when this is included in 7.3).

Gibbo
2008-09-27, 05:15
I seem to have a little problem, well at least I have something annoying me. I have musicip set up working fine headless. when I copy new flac files and want to add an album to SC I click rescan, (look for new and changed music) it seems to rescan all 15217 files taking about 29 minutes? is there a quicker way? I've installed the patch and its now reduced to 23 minutes. If I uncheck the read song data box then it is a lot quicker and only scans 32 musicip files? time is under 2 minutes, but it doesn't pick up new tracks or tag changes. what is it actually doing in this case?

I think i've missed the point somewhere.

Cheers for any and all input. Is there a way to just add an album quickly when running musicip?

running SqueezeCenter Version: 7.2 - 22900 - Windows XP - EN - cp1252

Philip Meyer
2008-09-27, 16:46
>I seem to be having a little problem in this kinda area. I have musicip
>set up headless. I burn cd's to flac using eac, then open up music ip
>mixer and validate the tracks. I then open up the music magic server
>and update the cache, then go into SC and click rescan (look for new
>and changed music) when I did this SC would rescan the whole library
>taking about half hour, when all I wanted to add was one cd.
>
SC actually only scans the music library folder to find new/changed files, but the old MusicIP plugin then requested all songs from MusicIP to combine into the SqueezeCenter library. It's this that took the time; essentially it applied the whole library over the top of your library, even if only one file had changed.

>installed the patch as is this thread and now it'll rescan musicip and
>scan 37 files everytime I try to rescan
>
There are probably 37 files in your SqueezeCenter library that have not got the MusicIP mixable flag set, so each rescan it will interrogate MusicIP to see if each song has now been analysed.

>but still wont include the new validated music in SC
Are the songs visible in SqueezeCenter, but just not mixable? i.e. after performing a scan for new/changed files in SqueezeCenter, the new album should exist in SqueezeCenter if it is within your SqueezeCenter music folder.

>I have 15217 according to musicmagic and 15194 according to SC, SC only has 8 out of 18 tracks off one of the new
>albums i've just burnt?
>
Sounds like you have a problem with SqueezeCenter scanning these files for some reason. Perhaps the file paths are too long, or there is some issue with character encoding?

>If I then go into musicip settings and check the read song data box it reverts to a full rescan? Is this correct?
>
It doesn't cause SqueezeCenter to do a full rescan; it will cause the whole of the MusicIP library data to be imported/merged into SqueezeCenter.

>I don't remember it taking half hour to include one new album previously to 7.2?
>
Sounds about right for ~15,000 tracks.

>And why isn't this patch doing anything for me unless I get it to do a full scan.
>
If you tick "Read Song Data", the plugin will be working exactly as it used to work.
If you untick "Read Song Data", the plugin will only attempt to get the MusicIP mixable status for any songs that exist in the SqueezeCenter database (i.e songs that have been read from the SqueezeCenter music library - Settings > Basic Settings > Music Folder).

I'm guessing that you haven't set your music folder path up and used to depend on all music being imported from MusicIP.

Phil

Gibbo
2008-09-28, 02:55
Thanks for a great response Phil!

Yes I have SC to get all my music from musicip, and the SC music path is blank, I used the spicefly setup around 5 months ago or so, and this was the way it was I believe, didn't realise you could still have SC look at the music folder too?

I understand the plugin now, and I didn't mean to be negative, it does seem to save me 8 minutes somehow on a full re-read.

So fastest way would be to have SC still see the music folder, to do a quick look for new music, and then get the plugin to find the musicip settings for the new tracks?

I guess the 37 tracks are the ones without ip, most are less than 10 seconds or random nameless ones?

CHeers again.

Gibbo
2008-09-28, 03:34
Just found this

Phil

So just to check, the standard setup for musicip tells you to clear the SC music folder path, I have done this.
Configuring SC to use MiP, second bullet point (http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.php/Integrating_MusicIP_with_SqueezeCenter)

With the new plugin you shouldn't have this cleared? I have now put the folder back and am rescanning.

second quick one, with the SC folder in place, when should the read song data box be checked and when should it not be?

when doing a full initial scan?
when updating new music? (as in if i've burnt a cd, then got SC to find it through browsing the music folder, can I not have this ticked and SC will just look for the musicip mixable info?)?

Cheer for all your efforts.

edit:

So I now seem to have exactly what I want, music folder can be seen and browsed in SC, read music data box is unchecked. Full clear and rescan took about 29 minutes for 15000 files, no duplicating, all music ip data present.

add a new cd, burn cd to flac, validate, look for new and changed music takes 2 minutes 22 and adds the new album with music ip mix data.

brilliant! I think i'm doing everything right, if not it all seems to be perfectly happy!

Philip Meyer
2008-09-28, 05:22
>Yes I have SC to get all my music from musicip, and the SC music path
>is blank, I used the spicefly setup around 5 months ago or so, and this
>was the way it was I believe, didn't realise you could still have SC
>look at the music folder too?
>
In my opinion, you are better off setting a SC music folder scan path.

>So fastest way would be to have SC still see the music folder, to do a
>quick look for new music, and then get the plugin to find the musicip
>settings for the new tracks?
>
Yes, the quickest way to get mixable songs in SC is to perform a scan for "new and changed files". This will cause SC to find new music. It will then automatically ask MusicIP if those songs are mixable - you don't need to do anything else.

If "Read Song Data" MusicIP setting is ticked, MusicIP will also modify your SC library with tag data as read by MusicIP. If "Read Song Data" is unticked, it won't bother to replace the SC tag data with MusicIP tag data (they *should* be the same, but MusicIP isn't as clever as SC, and thus there are discrepancies).

If "Read Song Data" is ticked, the scan will always take twice as long as a full SC rescan, as it looks up every track in MusicIP every time.

>I guess the 37 tracks are the ones without ip, most are less than 10
>seconds or random nameless ones?
>
Sounds like it.

You can look in the SC scanner log - this will tell you what songs have been scanned that are not mixable.

Phil

Philip Meyer
2008-09-28, 05:31
>So just to check, the standard setup for musicip tells you to clear the
>SC music folder path, I have done this.
>
Where are you reading that from? Some wiki page? I don't know why that is. I think that is bad information. SC supports more formats that MusicIP and potentially reads more tag data.

I believe this was suggested to a few people to fix some duplicate tracks appearing in SC. I never had any such problems, but didn't like the fact that every file was scanned twice.

>With the new plugin you shouldn't have this cleared?
>second quick one, with the SC folder in place, when should the read
>song data box be checked and when should it not be?
>
If you have unticked "Read Song Data" in the MusicIP plugin settings page, then you must have a folder path set for SC to be able to read the song data instead.
If you want scanning to be slow and result in worse tag data in your SC library, then tick the "Read Song Data" option ;)

>when doing a full initial scan?
>
Just set a music path in SC, untick the "Read Song Data" in Music IP plugin and never touch the options ever again ;)
The settings will be used for full scan or new/changed file scan.

>when updating new music?
>
Songs will only appear in MusicIP scans after a SC scan has been performed (either full scan or new/changed files). You can browse music folder to play new music, but the mixable status will not be set until a proper scan has been performed.

Phil

Gibbo
2008-09-28, 05:34
Thanks for that Phil. Cracking job! I'm far happier with the functionality now.

Gibbo
2008-09-29, 01:07
SC music folder path, I have done this.

Where are you reading that from? Some wiki page? I don't know why that is. I think that is bad information. SC supports more formats that MusicIP and potentially reads more tag data.

I believe this was suggested to a few people to fix some duplicate tracks appearing in SC. I never had any such problems, but didn't like the fact that every file was scanned twice.
Phil

Just to answer this one

slim wiki setup (http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.php/Integrating_MusicIP_with_SqueezeCenter)
For the remove music folder path see 5.4 configuring SC to use MiP, second bullet point, towards the bottom of the page.

Thanks again for your help!

Gibbo
2008-09-29, 13:11
Oh your going to be sick of me! :-)

Does the patch work with 7.2.1? I updated and now seem to have lost the features? tried reverting to 7.2 and still no joy.

Not done a full wipe and reinstall as i'd rather not lose everything, but I have tried reinstalling the patch many times.

Philip Meyer
2008-09-29, 17:14
>Does the patch work with 7.2.1? I updated and now seem to have lost the
>features? tried reverting to 7.2 and still no joy.

One of the official developers took my patch and applied it to the source code properly - I think this went in 7.2.1.

If you have the official support, you shouldn't need to replace the plugin at all.

However, the setting is a bit different - Instead of "Read Song Data" checkbox, there is an option for "Use MusicIP" called "Only read mixable status from MusicIP", which is a bit more user-friendly.

>Not done a full wipe and reinstall as i'd rather not lose everything,
>but I have tried reinstalling the patch many times.

You should never lose anything by doing a full wipe and reinstall (other than time!).

Phil

Brian Ritchie
2008-09-29, 17:48
This appears to be *just* what I needed!

I'm still ripping and scanning new music frequently, but the extra 30-45 minutes added by MIP to every single scan was discouraging. Just now, a new/changed scan took a grand total of 4 minutes - much, much better! (And the new tracks appear to be mixable, so it's not as though MIP is being left out of the loop completely.)

It took a little while to get there though. As scans were so slow, I'd unset the Music Folder (seemed to add time for no gain); so after adding an album with your modded MIP plugin, the rescan didn't find it. When I restored my Music Folder, SC immediately started a full scan - which took ages! But the first new album after that was much better.

My ripping process is:

- rip album, calculate replaygain, add artwork
- run MIP GUI, let it find and analyse new tracks
- archive the analysis for new tracks
- close the GUI
- open the MIP server webconsole and reload the cache
- do a new/changed scan in SqueezeCenter

I'm running SC 7.1, as 7.2 went weird on me. Presumably if I try 7.2 again, I'll have to replace the MIP plugin again... ?

-- Brian

Wirrunna
2008-09-29, 21:31
>
One of the official developers took my patch and applied it to the source code properly - I think this went in 7.2.1.

Phil

Phil, Your patch is in 7.3, not 7.2.1, so the patch must be added to 7.2 and 7.2.1 (from Phil's page here http://www.hergest.demon.co.uk/Music/music.shtml) .

Gibbo
2008-09-30, 01:02
However, the setting is a bit different - Instead of "Read Song Data" checkbox, there is an option for "Use MusicIP" called "Only read mixable status from MusicIP", which is a bit more user-friendly.

You should never lose anything by doing a full wipe and reinstall (other than time!).

Phil

in the drop down box? didn't actually look at that, I was too busy wondering where the check box had gone. It may well be in 7.2.1. will check tonight when I get home.

I'd forgotten everything would be saved in preferences after a wipe and reinstall. oh well, thats one thing I wont forget again.

cheers again.

If the patch isn't in 7.2.1 not a clue why it doesn't seem to be working unless the patch functionallity has changed to the drop down box rather than the check box?