PDA

View Full Version : Cannot Turn Off My Squeezebox

malaugh
2008-06-02, 08:13
When I am finished playing music, I select "Turn off Squeezebox" on my Duet's controller. The Light on the receiver goes out, and and the controller displays the clock.

Then I go to my computer room and turn off my PC. The light comes back on on the reciever.

3 or 4 hours later, the controller wakes up and displays "searching for network" followed by "cannot find <my network> please choose another". This cycle repeats evey 5 minutes or so.

How do I turn off my Squeezecenter so it stays off? Is there a setting I am missing?

Anoop M.
2008-06-02, 17:18
The best way to do this would be to connect your player to SqueezeNetwork before you turn your PC off. Once your player is connected to SqueezeNetwork, you can turn your player off and it should remain off with no color being displayed on the front.

iPhone
2008-06-02, 21:05
When I am finished playing music, I select "Turn off Squeezebox" on my Duet's controller. The Light on the receiver goes out, and and the controller displays the clock.

Then I go to my computer room and turn off my PC. The light comes back on on the reciever.

3 or 4 hours later, the controller wakes up and displays "searching for network" followed by "cannot find <my network> please choose another". This cycle repeats evey 5 minutes or so.

How do I turn off my Squeezecenter so it stays off? Is there a setting I am missing?

Technically the only way to turn any Squeezebox off is to unplug it, use a remote wall switch, switched outlet, X10 controlled outlet, Clapper, or power strip with a switch. The device is always on. One can turn the LED on the front off with the controller or Web UI (putting the device in sleep mode), but the unit is still on.

Since the Receiver is a WiFi device and is still talking to your PC after you select "Off" (remember it is not really off) and you turn your PC off, the talk connection to the server is broken so the Receiver wakes up and starts searching for the server to talk to. If one just can not stand the message on the SBC or the LED on the Receiver to be on, Anoop M. is correct that it would be best to switch to SN before putting the Receiver to sleep and shutting down your PC.

malaugh
2008-06-03, 08:19
I understand what you are saying, but I think the UI definitely needs some rethinking. I am an engineer, and understand how WiFi works (my company makes WiFi chips), but a less sophisticated user would definitely be confused.

If you push the off button on any piece of audio equipment (in this case selecting "switch off sqeezebox" on the controller) the user expectation is to have any lights that indicate a piece of equipment is on be extinguished, and any display go to the idle setting (in most cases displaying a clock). I think that the current operation will not be acceptable to the general population.

I also think the whole select network section of the UI needs to be rethought. If a user want to listen to the radio, he does not care which network is being used, he wants to select a station and have it play. I think there should be some kind of "auto" network selection which selects either the local or Squeezenetwork depending on what the user wishes to hear.

I think the squeezebox is great piece of equipment, but is being let down by its user interface.

finnbrodersen
2008-06-03, 08:38
I understand what you are saying, but I think the UI definitely needs some rethinking. I am an engineer, and understand how WiFi works (my company makes WiFi chips), but a less sophisticated user would definitely be confused.

If you push the off button on any piece of audio equipment (in this case selecting "switch off sqeezebox" on the controller) the user expectation is to have any lights that indicate a piece of equipment is on be extinguished, and any display go to the idle setting (in most cases displaying a clock). I think that the current operation will not be acceptable to the general population.

I agree 100%

smm
2008-06-03, 11:31
The best way to do this would be to connect your player to SqueezeNetwork before you turn your PC off. Once your player is connected to SqueezeNetwork, you can turn your player off and it should remain off with no color being displayed on the front.

I only use SqueezeNetwork, and can confirm that this behavior of the Receiver turning itself on (or at least the LED coming back on) happens frequently. In fact, I have also experienced times that music starts playing spontaneously. This has happened when I have paused an MP3Tunes playlist, a Pandora station, or a Slacker station, BEFORE turning off the Receiver with the Controller, and then turning off the Controller. I don't think the spontaneous playback has occured when I have "cleared" the currently playing selection, rather than just pausing it.

iPhone
2008-06-03, 12:10

I also think the whole select network section of the UI needs to be rethought. If a user want to listen to the radio, he does not care which network is being used, he wants to select a station and have it play. I think there should be some kind of "auto" network selection which selects either the local or Squeezenetwork depending on what the user wishes to hear.

I think the squeezebox is great piece of equipment, but is being let down by its user interface.

I understand your point as well as see where you are coming from. Like I said the Power Button on the remote and OFF under Web UI are misnomers. They should actually be labeled "Sleep" or "Display Off" since the Slim Devices products are not really ever turned off.

And most modern equipment is not really off either if they have remotes or WiFi, they to are just sleeping. My mono block amps have no off switch. They have a switch but it is standby to on. When one turns their TV to OFF with the remote, they are only shutting down the tuner, display, and putting the high voltage into stand by. The TV is still drawing current even though one pressed off on the remote. Look at a DVR, one hits the off button and two hours later one still hears the hard drive spinning away with no recording are anything else going on.

Could it be changed? I guess it could, but then I think it would be worse with all the questions about where is the "Off" switch. Could there be a note in the manual that the SB3 and Duet are always "On" products, again I guess so. But how many watts are we talking about, not many.

No good way around it.

toby10
2008-06-03, 12:57
...........And most modern equipment is not really off either if they have remotes or WiFi, they to are just sleeping. My mono block amps have no off switch. They have a switch but it is standby to on. When one turns their TV to OFF with the remote, they are only shutting down the tuner, display, and putting the high voltage into stand by. The TV is still drawing current even though one pressed off on the remote. Look at a DVR, one hits the off button and two hours later one still hears the hard drive spinning away with no recording are anything else going on....

Yup. In fact, if you think about it, any device that can be "turned on" via a remote must actually be ON already in order to receive and understand the remote's command to "turn on". You correctly worded this as in stand by, not actually OFF.

I suppose they could add a selection of menu options in SC7 settings for remote commands. Like: do not allow unit to turn on it's screen or audio until the following sequence is recognized (PWR + VOL keys pressed simultaniously).

I'd actually like to see this same idea of (optional) sequential remote key commands for the SB3 brightness button as well! The brightness button is also used to change the screen displays (VU meter, spectrum, remaining time, etc...) When trying to adjust brightness, if I accidentally hit the brightness button twice, I now have to scroll through ALL of the different screen settings to get back to where it was. :)

And I know people who use Add to Playlist via the remote would like this feature as a preset playlist can be wiped out with the wrong use of ADD, or something like that. :)

std speed
2008-06-03, 14:49
Simple really...just make the blue light red.

That way when I go to bed, i can do so rest assured that my TV, Sky box, DVD, and now Squeezy are all 'off'.

A blue light puts the fear of God into me...who knows how much electrickery it might be using.

Zaragon
2008-06-05, 15:00
The main thing that a lot of people forget/don't know is related to the original company name "Slim Devices". The players have next to no intelligence. They don't really even know how to turn themselves on.

What you really have is like three devices in the same box.
1. An infrared receiver/IP network transmitter
2. A server controlled display panel(s)
3. A server controlled music receiver/decoder

None of which talk directly to each other. Every key press is sent to a server which works out what to do and then sends the appropriate commands to the display and/or the music receiver. This even applies to the "power" button.

Even the screen is dumb, everything on it is sent from the server as a bit pattern.

The display/infrared have a small amount of autonomy which only comes into play when there is no server connection. It is what allows you to set up the device in the first place.

The subject of power buttons, off switches, automatic switching between servers gets regular discussion a quick search should provide quite a few threads of discussion.

Speebs
2008-07-01, 18:41
This is correct. The very bright blue main LED should NOT be on when the system is "off". If you turn the device off and it loses its connection to slimserver, the light should remain off. Many people (including myself) have their squeezebox hooked up to their entertainment systems, and I find the squeezebox light especially annoying when I'm trying to watch tv. I have to either unplug it or leave a computer on running slimserver all the time if I want the light to go off, which just seems silly (especially since squeezebox is advertised as being able to function without a computer).

iPhone
2008-07-01, 21:50
This is correct. The very bright blue main LED should NOT be on when the system is "off". If you turn the device off and it loses its connection to slimserver, the light should remain off. Many people (including myself) have their squeezebox hooked up to their entertainment systems, and I find the squeezebox light especially annoying when I'm trying to watch tv. I have to either unplug it or leave a computer on running slimserver all the time if I want the light to go off, which just seems silly (especially since squeezebox is advertised as being able to function without a computer).

If you want to turn your PC off, then first switch the DUET to SqueezeNetwork with the Controller, then turn your PC off, then select Power on the COntroller and select turn off Duet. Now you have no light on the front of the Receiver.

There is no such thing as "OFF" or "Power" on a Slim Devices Squeezebox! And yes it does function without your home PC, but it is still looking/connected to a Server (computer) via SqueezeNetwork so again it is not "OFF". The Squeezebox is just in Standby when one selects the Power position. Since you have a Duet which has not display and doesn't need to be in line of sight of an IR Remote, why don't you hide it or block the LED? That is after all one of the ideas behind the Duet. The Receiver doesn't need to ever be seen. So move it, hide it, block it, put some black tape over the LED/Switch, so it doesn't bother you while you watch TV or put it on SN and select OFF. The Duet is always looking for a server (SC or SN) as well as WiFi if not on Ethernet so it never is really "OFF".

Speebs
2008-07-02, 18:11
If you want to turn your PC off, then first switch the DUET to SqueezeNetwork with the Controller, then turn your PC off, then select Power on the COntroller and select turn off Duet. Now you have no light on the front of the Receiver.

There is no such thing as "OFF" or "Power" on a Slim Devices Squeezebox! And yes it does function without your home PC, but it is still looking/connected to a Server (computer) via SqueezeNetwork so again it is not "OFF". The Squeezebox is just in Standby when one selects the Power position. Since you have a Duet which has not display and doesn't need to be in line of sight of an IR Remote, why don't you hide it or block the LED? That is after all one of the ideas behind the Duet. The Receiver doesn't need to ever be seen. So move it, hide it, block it, put some black tape over the LED/Switch, so it doesn't bother you while you watch TV or put it on SN and select OFF. The Duet is always looking for a server (SC or SN) as well as WiFi if not on Ethernet so it never is really "OFF".

I understand what you're saying. First of all, the option says "Turn [receiver name] OFF," which is misleading. I understand that it does not really mean "off" but if it's labeled "off" that means all lights should go off.

Even if it were more accurately labeled "Standby," the light should be off or very dim so that it's not distracting. If the device is in standby mode, I'm not listening to it, and I don't care whether or not it can connect to SqueezeCenter on my PC. The light is only relevant if the device is actually in use.

It's not very user friendly to require the user to switch to SqueezeNetwork, which only works sometimes and is time consuming and cumbersome. I refuse to accept this as the only option.

I am not going to attempt to relocate the squeezebox because my setup does not allow me to put it far away from the audio receiver, which is underneath my TV. "Cover the light" is not an acceptable answer and honestly is a little ridiculous. I need to be able to see the light when the device is on. Obviously it's software controlled, so why not advocate an update in the next firmware? Besides, hiding the squeezebox receiver will further decrease my wireless signal.

Am I being unreasonable?

rh2600
2008-08-06, 16:56
I'll lend my 100% agreement to the issue raised in this thread.

The notion that one needs to first switch sources to SN before switching 'off' the receiver and then the server, in order to stop the receiver being in a blue error state is rather silly and is a unnecessary hassle to the user.

When I want to listen to server on my music again, it means I have to go through all of that in reverse - this is currently more hassle than selecting and putting on an LP!

I'd also add that the Duet Controller loses its awareness of connection to the Receiver if the receiver is 'off' and the server is then turned off - so the receiver gets the blue light. I currently have to start up the server and then reselect the source on the remote (even though its the only source available) and then I'll be able to control the receiver again.

In essence, for people who are running 'always on' the Duet is probably fine, but for people who turn things on and off (mainly the server) the Duet is currently pretty fiddly...

kantblue
2008-08-07, 02:44
Hi, just thought I'd comment that like other users, I find the Blue light when the Duet Receiver is off fairly intrusive.

I do realise that I could put the the receiver out of sight, but the different coloured leds can be useful at times, especially with the connection problems that the box seems to have.

I just wondered if it would be possible to dim the light a little, it seems much brighter than it need be.

kantblue

scrufftyguy
2009-06-21, 03:51
Hi! Has there been any improvements regarding the turning off? I've just bought a squeezebox classic and also find it annoying that when put into standby, it wants to search for a network and has to inform me that it's doing so!