PDA

View Full Version : Transporter Won't Play Music (SC 7.1 2008-07-01)

Don Russell
2008-06-01, 22:08
I'm on Fedora 9, with SqueezeCenter 7.1 built today (Sun 1 Jun)

The Transporter connects to my network OK, and I can navigate around in my music collection or online radio etc, but I can't get any music to actually play. The digital VU meter display is inactive.

I also have a squeezeBox, and it works fine... music from my own library (all flac) or internet radio (squeezenetwork) works fine.

I can't use the 7.0 version of SC because there are perl problems with it and Fedora 9.

The transporter shows the time etc from the server,

The log (from the web status page) does show a few errors, but I don't think they're related to playing music...

---cut/paste---
[08-06-01 17:49:45.2364] Slim::Web::Settings::handler (145) Preference names must be prefixed by "pref_" in the page template: sn_email (SQUEEZENETWORK_SETTINGS)
[08-06-01 17:49:45.2426] Slim::Web::Settings::handler (145) Preference names must be prefixed by "pref_" in the page template: sn_password_sha (SQUEEZENETWORK_SETTINGS)
[08-06-01 17:49:45.2453] Slim::Web::Settings::handler (145) Preference names must be prefixed by "pref_" in the page template: sn_sync (SQUEEZENETWORK_SETTINGS)
[08-06-01 17:49:45.2471] Slim::Web::Settings::handler (145) Preference names must be prefixed by "pref_" in the page template: sn_disable_stats (SQUEEZENETWORK_SETTINGS)
---cut/paste---

Here's more information about my system, from the status page:

SqueezeCenter Version: 7.1 - 20404 @ Sun Jun 1 01:04:40 PDT 2008 - Red Hat - EN - utf8
Server IP address: 10.10.10.250
Perl Version: 5.10.0 i386-linux-thread-multi
MySQL Version: 5.0.51a
Platform Architecture: i686-linux
Hostname: boris
Server Port Number: 9000
Total Players Recognized: 2

Player Information
Name: Garage
Model: Squeezebox v3
Firmware: 88
The IP address for this player is: 10.10.10.128:43516
The Ethernet MAC address for this player is: 00:04:20:06:d3:6c
Wireless Signal Strength: 62

Name: Linn
Model: transporter
Firmware: 42
The IP address for this player is: 10.10.10.14:41505
The Ethernet MAC address for this player is: 00:04:20:10:01:c4
Wireless Signal Strength: 95
Voltage: 125

Any ideas?
Thanks,

davep
2008-06-02, 10:08
Try the Xilinx reset - disconnect the power, then press and hold "1" on the remote while reconnecting it.

davep

Don Russell
2008-06-02, 21:08
That got it going.... but I can't enter my WEP/WPA key... it only lets me enter 63 characters, I need 64.

I connected it via wire, and d/l the Transporter code from SqueezeCenter.... Now I can't enter a WEP/WPA key at all.

When I get to the part that says "Enter key", it's all filled with asterisks (*) and I can't enter anything.

I thought I might be able to configure the wireless part of it once it was connected to the wired network.... but I don't see anything that lets me specify that anywhere. Does Transporter have it's own web server built in?

iPhone
2008-06-02, 21:19
That got it going.... but I can't enter my WEP/WPA key... it only lets me enter 63 characters, I need 64.

I connected it via wire, and d/l the Transporter code from SqueezeCenter.... Now I can't enter a WEP/WPA key at all.

When I get to the part that says "Enter key", it's all filled with asterisks (*) and I can't enter anything.

I thought I might be able to configure the wireless part of it once it was connected to the wired network.... but I don't see anything that lets me specify that anywhere. Does Transporter have it's own web server built in?

Hello Don,

All the Slim Devices products need SS or SC to play your music files. The TP doesn't have its own web server built in. It needs a computer or SqueezeNetwork to stream music.

Don Russell
2008-06-03, 06:03
Yes, I realize the Transporter can't play music without a music source. :-)

What I asked was, does the Transporter have a built in web server so I can configure the wireless part via a wired connection?

But, based on your answer, it looks like the answer is "no".

So, how to I get a 64 character (256 bit) wireless key entered?

radish
2008-06-03, 06:46
What I asked was, does the Transporter have a built in web server so I can configure the wireless part via a wired connection?

No.

So, how to I get a 64 character (256 bit) wireless key entered?
Which is it - WEP or WPA?

For WEP, you need to enter 10 hex chars (for 40-bit) or 26 hex chars (for 128-bit). For WPA it's up to 63 ascii chars. Every device I've ever used takes a WPA key as ascii, but using up to 64 hex chars is also allowable per the standard, and it looks as if that's what you're used to. You'll need to convert the key to ascii for that to work on the TP.

This page (http://www.xs4all.nl/~rjoris/wpapsk.html) will convert from ascii to hex, I don't think it's possible to go back the other way.

Don Russell
2008-06-03, 12:16
Which is it - WEP or WPA?

Every device I've ever used takes a WPA key as ascii, but using up to 64 hex chars is also allowable per the standard.

You're correct, I'm used to dealing in hex, and in fact my WPA key has values in it that are out of the printable ascii range.

(rhetorical) Why would I deliberately reduce the set of allowable values to less than half of what the standard supports by limiting myself to printable ascii characters only (hex 20 - 7f)? After all, the key is not meant for "human consumption".

FWI... I create a bug report for this:
http://bugs.slimdevices.com/show_bug.cgi?id=8308

To allow wireless configuration via wired connection to the device.

Also, I was able to enter the 64-hex key on my Squeezebox... but not the Transporter... so it's probably just a "tweak" to the TP code. :-)

radish
2008-06-03, 12:52
(rhetorical) Why would I deliberately reduce the set of allowable values to less than half of what the standard supports by limiting myself to printable ascii characters only (hex 20 - 7f)? After all, the key is not meant for "human consumption".

You're not - 63 ascii chars is considerably more data than 64 hex chars (504 vs 256 bits). If you use an ascii passphrase (it's not actually a key) the 256 bit key is generated for you based on that plus the SSID using a hashing function.

See: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wi-Fi_Protected_Access#Security_in_pre-shared_key_mode

Don Russell
2008-06-03, 15:07
OK... so the problem I have is: I know the 256 bit key (in 64 hex characters). I have no idea what the pass phrase is.

So, how do I enter my 256 bit key into my Transporter? I entered it into my SqueezeBox at one point... (of course I don't recall how, neither do I recall having any problems. :-) )

Don Russell
2008-06-03, 18:37
You're not - 63 ascii chars is considerably more data than 64 hex chars (504 vs 256 bits). If you use an ascii passphrase (it's not actually a key) the 256 bit key is generated for you based on that plus the SSID using a hashing function.

See: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wi-Fi_Protected_Access#Security_in_pre-shared_key_mode

So actually, 63 ascii characters is not more data because after all is said and done, the phrase is reduced (via hash etc) to 256 bits.

If I can enter the 256 bits directly (via 64 hex characters), what's the difference?

The problem I'm having is I can't enter the 64 hex characters via the remote on Transporter, so the Transporter cannot connect to my wireless network.

And yet, my SqueezeBox can... and Transporter used to... so the hardware is certainly capable of it.

What's changed? SqueezeCenter version is now 7.1, running on Linux Fedora 9.
When it did work, it was Fedora 8 and SC 7.0.

I can't go back to SC 7.0 because it won't run on Fedora 9.

chinablues
2008-06-05, 09:44
If it's WEP, it's likely hexadecimal. ie 16 base. This means the numbers 0-9 (10) plus the letters a, b, c, d, e and f. Making 16 digits. To enter 1, press 1 on the remote. For 2, press 2 etc. That's for the numbers. For the letters, a, you will press button 2 twice. b, button 2 three times, c button 2 four times, e, button 3 twice....etc.

Maybe I'm missing something, but for me it's laborious, but actually quite logical.

PS. 7.1.20418 stopped playing for me too & the reset procedure brought it back.

Dan

radish
2008-06-06, 06:35
So actually, 63 ascii characters is not more data because after all is said and done, the phrase is reduced (via hash etc) to 256 bits.

Sigh. I was responding to your claim that using an ascii passphrase reduced the key entropy. It doesn't.

If I can enter the 256 bits directly (via 64 hex characters), what's the difference?

The difference is whether the device in question accepts the hex form of the key or whether it only accepts the ascii form. From what you're saying (I haven't tested it myself) this is your problem.

What's changed? SqueezeCenter version is now 7.1, running on Linux Fedora 9.
When it did work, it was Fedora 8 and SC 7.0.

Firmware. Why that feature would be taken out (if indeed it has) I can't tell you. Feel free to contact support for the official line. If it were me, I'd generate a new key from a passphrase and use that, but I understand that can be a hassle.

Don Russell
2008-06-07, 06:21
Sigh. I was responding to your claim that using an ascii passphrase reduced the key entropy.
I never made that claim. There was a misunderstanding/miscommunication between "key" and "pass phrase". I said using a "KEY" of only printable ascii characters reduces the entropy.

Feel free to contact support for the official line. If it were me, I'd generate a new key from a passphrase and use that, but I understand that can be a hassle.
I created a bug report, see http://bugs.slimdevices.com/show_bug.cgi?id=8308
Target is 7.1. So maybe it will be in one of the nightly builds soon. :-)

radish
2008-06-07, 07:57
I never made that claim. There was a misunderstanding/miscommunication between "key" and "pass phrase". I said using a "KEY" of only printable ascii characters reduces the entropy.

Right, but why would anyone be daft enough to go to the trouble of entering their key in hex but limit the byte values like that? The point is I can enter more entropy in less characters using ascii compared to raw hex, which means less typing, which makes me a happy radish. It would be even better with unicode but the scrolly wheel interface quickly becomes difficult!

Don Russell
2008-06-07, 12:18
why would anyone be daft enough to go to the trouble of entering their key in hex but limit the byte values like that?
That was exactly *my* point.

Rewind:
I should be able to enter the 256 bit key in hex (not the passphrase).
The problem is only 63 of the 64 characters necessary are accepted by Transporter. Hence the bug report...

And, for the pain of using the remote to key in values "like a cell phone" I suggested allowing wireless set up via a wired network connection using SqueezeCenter.

The bug report I created was marked as a duplicate of this bug: http://bugs.slimdevices.com/show_bug.cgi?id=6684, targeted for 7.2
So, I'm not expecting this capability any time soon. :-(

Maybe something will get fixed in the 7.1 nightly builds so all 64 characters can be entered via the remote.... That would be fine. That's what I did with my SqueezeBox...

dean
2008-06-08, 07:18
On Jun 7, 2008, at 12:18 PM, Don Russell wrote:
> The bug report I created was marked as a duplicate of this bug:
> http://bugs.slimdevices.com/show_bug.cgi?id=6684, targeted for 7.2
> So, I'm not expecting this capability any time soon. :-(
7.2 is slated for August. That bug was a request to use the web
interface to set up wireless settings on a player, so it is a dup.

> Maybe something will get fixed in the 7.1 nightly builds so all 64
> characters can be entered via the remote.... That would be fine.
> That's
> what I did with my SqueezeBox...

So, there is another bug, it appears. The Squeezebox and Transporter
use the same code to enter text, so I'm confused as to what's going on.

Are you using WPA or WEP?

Don Russell
2008-06-09, 06:13
7.2 is slated for August.

OK, August isn't too long. ;-) Is there a web page showing anticipated release dates?

That bug was a request to use the web
interface to set up wireless settings on a player, so it is a dup.

OK, I wasn't looking for an argument.... udap just seems like more than "setting up wireless settings via SC. But, it will accomplish that. :-)

Are you using WPA or WEP?
WPA

dean
2008-06-09, 07:25
On Jun 9, 2008, at 6:13 AM, Don Russell wrote:

>
> dean;309877 Wrote:
>>
>> 7.2 is slated for August.
>>
> OK, August isn't too long. ;-) Is there a web page showing anticipated
> release dates?
We just updated the schedule last week when the employee software team
was in house. I'll update the public wiki with our notes:

http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.php/SoftwareRoadmap

>> Are you using WPA or WEP?
> WPA

Ok, thanks. And to be clear, you are using a 64-byte key? Typically,
keys are ASCII strings of up to 63 bytes with a trailing zero byte. I
do realize that there are some routers that allow 64 byte keys, but
you wouldn't be compromising your security with a 63 byte key (or even
a much smaller one).

Don Russell
2008-06-09, 10:45
Ok, thanks. And to be clear, you are using a 64-byte key? Typically,
keys are ASCII strings of up to 63 bytes with a trailing zero byte. I
do realize that there are some routers that allow 64 byte keys, but
you wouldn't be compromising your security with a 63 byte key (or even
a much smaller one).

Well, I'm actually using a 64 hex digit key (which is 256 bits). That's 32 BYTES.

There seems to be some confusion over "keys" and "pass phrases"... the KEY is actually 256 bits (32 bytes, each byte with a decimal value of 0-255).

A pass phrase on the other hand is ascii text (each byte with a decimal value of 32-127) The phrase is then "hashed/encrypted/manipulated" to produce the *key*.

What I'm trying to avoid is reconfiguring the rest of my wireless devices (including SqueezeBox)... If I change the key, I have to change it for everything that uses it.

Since SqueezeBox is working fine, I expected Transporter to as well. :-)

And SlimServer did.. and I think an earlier version of SC did as well (or maybe the key was already set up and changing from SS to SC didn't affect that part.
Something changed in the TP firmware and wasn't caught during regression testing.

Thanks

dean
2008-06-09, 10:56
On Jun 9, 2008, at 10:45 AM, Don Russell wrote:
> Well, I'm actually using a 64 hex digit key (which is 256 bits).
> That's
> 32 BYTES.
>
> There seems to be some confusion over "keys" and "pass phrases"... the
> KEY is actually 256 bits (32 bytes, each byte with a decimal value of
> 0-255).
>
> A pass phrase on the other hand is ascii text (each byte with a
> decimal
> value of 32-127) The phrase is then "hashed/encrypted/manipulated" to
> produce the *key*.
Yes, sorry for the sloppy description. You are correct.

> What I'm trying to avoid is reconfiguring the rest of my wireless
> devices (including SqueezeBox)... If I change the key, I have to
> change
> it for everything that uses it.
>
> Since SqueezeBox is working fine, I expected Transporter to as well.
> :-)
Me too. The code for this section is exactly the same on the
Squeezebox and the Transporter, so I'm at a loss to explain your
problem.

> And SlimServer did.. and I think an earlier version of SC did as well
> (or maybe the key was already set up and changing from SS to SC didn't
> affect that part.
> Something changed in the TP firmware and wasn't caught during
> regression testing.

This is the confusing part. They should be identical in this regard,
both accepting the same form of passphrase for WPA.

-dean

Don Russell
2008-06-09, 12:05
The code for this section is exactly the same on the
Squeezebox and the Transporter, so I'm at a loss to explain your
problem.
This is the confusing part. They should be identical in this regard,
both accepting the same form of passphrase for WPA.

I entered the 64 hex digit key on SqueezeBox a long time ago... and have not needed to enter it again.

About a week ago, I installed new SC software (7.0.1) but it did not work on my Linux Fedora 9 system. It was suggested I use 7.1 because of something Perl related. SC then worked.... the SqueezeBox worked... no need for any reconfiguration.

Transporter though choked and would not play any music, though it was communicating with the server. I could navigate the music library etc, but it would not play anything. The digital VU meters were idle even though the "playing now" showed a song title and the time (remaining or elapsed, not sure now) showed and was changing.

That's when "factory reset" was suggested.... and that's what caused the need to enter the WPA key again and my discovery I couldn't enter all 64 digits.

It's possible that SqueezeBox will also prevent me from entering 64 digits, but since I haven't done a factory reset on that, it's working fine.

The point is, at one time, I was able to enter the 64 digit key (in hex) on both the SB and the Transporter.

If you say the code that deals with the input is identical on both, I'd venture to say I won't be able to enter the key (64 digits) on SB either, should the need arise.

So.. instead of trying to determine if it works on one and not the other, let's fix it where we know it's "broken", and since it's identical in both places, it will be fixed in both places.

Do you have a SB you could try it on? I don't want to risk being unable to use my SB...

dean
2008-06-09, 12:50
On Jun 9, 2008, at 12:05 PM, Don Russell wrote:
> I entered the 64 hex digit key on SqueezeBox a long time ago... and
> have not needed to enter it again.
This is the thing that confuses me. I don't think we ever supported
the ability to enter a WPA key directly, only a passphrase.

-dean

Don Russell
2008-06-09, 14:21
This is the thing that confuses me. I don't think we ever supported
the ability to enter a WPA key directly, only a passphrase.
hmmm, I wonder how I ever entered it... I have no idea what the pass phrase is any more.

Well, so the good news is, the new feature in SC 7.2 will allow me to enter either a "key" or a "pass phrase", correct?

Of course I'll have to connect the device via wire first... but that's fine...

Perhaps add a new option using the remote... after selecting the SSID, and it says "enter WPA key"...

Change that to be
"Enter WPA phrase (1 of 2) -->"
"Enter WPA key (2 of 2) -->"

Leave option 1 "as is"... make option 2 accept 0-9 A-F a-f only, and even number of digits. i.e. the ability to enter the actual hex key...

If that can go in TP firmware 43+, then I can install the new firmware, enter my key and I'm back to listening. :-)

Are you anticipating longer keys too? ;-)

dean
2008-06-09, 15:21
On Jun 9, 2008, at 2:21 PM, Don Russell wrote:
>> This is the thing that confuses me. I don't think we ever supported
>> the ability to enter a WPA key directly, only a passphrase.
> hmmm, I wonder how I ever entered it... I have no idea what the pass
> phrase is any more.
I sympathize. It sucks when you lose the password. :(

> Well, so the good news is, the new feature in SC 7.2 will allow me to
> enter either a "key" or a "pass phrase", correct?
No. There hasn't been any new WPA key entry added. I'm not sure how
many folks would use this, personally I've never seen this option
anywhere, but feel free to file an enhancement request for this.

-dean

Don Russell
2008-06-09, 19:12
I sympathize. It sucks when you lose the password. :(

And I took such good care to keep the "key", hmmm

No. There hasn't been any new WPA key entry added. I'm not sure how
many folks would use this, personally I've never seen this option
anywhere, but feel free to file an enhancement request for this.

I thought bug http://bugs.slimdevices.com/show_bug.cgi?id=6684 was to add UDAP support to allow wireless configuration of a player via the SC web/http interface. Well, I guess it is, but that doesn't mean a "key" could be entered.

I did create http://bugs.slimdevices.com/show_bug.cgi?id=8308, but it was marked as a dup of 6684.

Perhaps I should, as you suggest, create a new bug/enhancement request more narrowly focused on my issue: Allow entering the "key" directly, bypass generating a key from a pass phrase.

FWIW... I have a Nintendo Wii... wireless connection. It had the same problem: I could only enter 63 hex digits. To solve the problem, I unsecured my wireless network, connected the Wii, d/l a software update, secured the network again and poof... Nintendo's update now allowed the 64th digit to be entered.

Don Russell
2008-06-09, 21:19
I decided to reconfigure my wireless network.... and all the devices on it.

I now have a new passphrase/key, and everything works... except SqueezeBox... I have to find out how to enter the new passphrase...

This is me heaading off to the user doc.... :-)

Cheers.

radish
2008-06-10, 07:00
Hold left for a couple of seconds to get back to the setup menu.

wdaher
2008-07-02, 13:33
My transporter is currently wired, but my wireless network doesn't use a passphrase (I use a 64 digit hex key too) so I'd be interested in having this fixed as I intend to use the wireless connection in the near future.