PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a simple way to display "Now Playing" in Internet Chat apps

mkanet
2008-06-01, 16:29
I know there's an "last.fm audioscobbler" feature, but I'm looking for a very simple way to display whats playing currently on SC in an Internet Chat application. The chat application I use is trillian. I'm hoping for a clever way to display "now playing" in a genereic support plugin.

relen
2008-06-04, 15:20
There is a very useful little plugin called "NowPlaying" which does nothing more nor less than write the currently playing track metadata or a subset thereof to a local or remote location:

http://www.thespicers.net/nowPlaying.html

You can determine where this data gets written and virtually everything about the format of the data.

If you know where your client picks up the information from then you might be able to point NowPlaying at that location with the right format.

I use the plugin to write current track metadata to a place where NiceCast can find it when I'm doing automated playlists on our internet radio station. I format the data so the AmpTracker "Now Playing" widget on our web site gets the data in a format it can do Amazon searches on.

Hope this helps!

Best,
--Richard E

mkanet
2008-06-04, 15:37
Thank you Richard! This is certainly the closest I've seen to what I'm looking for. At least now I know there's a way to grab the data pretty easily. I'm not sure how I'm going to get that data into the "Now Playing" listener for Trillian Astra though (which listens for Windows Media Player and WinAMP); especially since I'm not a programmer.

Thanks again,
Michael

There is a very useful little plugin called "NowPlaying" which does nothing more nor less than write the currently playing track metadata or a subset thereof to a local or remote location:

http://www.thespicers.net/nowPlaying.html

You can determine where this data gets written and virtually everything about the format of the data.

If you know where your client picks up the information from then you might be able to point NowPlaying at that location with the right format.

I use the plugin to write current track metadata to a place where NiceCast can find it when I'm doing automated playlists on our internet radio station. I format the data so the AmpTracker "Now Playing" widget on our web site gets the data in a format it can do Amazon searches on.

Hope this helps!

Best,
--Richard E

mkanet
2008-06-04, 15:43
I'm looking for something like the below plugin thats made for Gimp; ....but for Trillian (which would work with the plugin mentioned above).

http://www.musikcube.com/punbb/viewtopic.php?id=1143

Khuli
2008-06-05, 01:17
There is a SqueezeBox plugin that works for MSN Messenger (but it looks like the link no longer works). I'm sure someone has a copy that you might be able to hack to work with Trillian.

mkanet
2008-06-05, 15:04
Thanks! I emailed the author of that plugin in hopes he will send me a working version. Hopefully this is all I would need for Trillian to receive Now Playing information.

There is a SqueezeBox plugin that works for MSN Messenger (but it looks like the link no longer works). I'm sure someone has a copy that you might be able to hack to work with Trillian.