PDA

View Full Version : Feature Request: Adding Hierarchy to Album/Artist/Song Browsing

jsprag
2008-06-01, 08:22
Browsing by Artist or Album on the controller in a large library is extraordinarily tedious as it is not uncommon to be presented with a list of tens of thousands of items to scroll through.

I'd like to see something on the controller interface similar to the web interface where you can jump to the first letter or number of what you're trying to find.For example, when you select "Music Library" and then "Artist" on the controller you would see the following:

(123...)
(A)
(B)
(Z)

Selecting "[A]" would then show you only the artists whose name begins with the letter 'A'. Alternatively, it would still show the whole list but it would jump to the first artist that began with 'A'.

Before I file a feature request bug I wanted to know if (1) there is already a method of doing this that I haven't stumbled across, and (2) if there is enough interest to justify it.

Thanks.

RonM
2008-06-01, 08:37
While I don't have tens of thousands of items in my lists, I do have thousands. I find the accelerated scrolling through the controller to be quite efficient -- quick rotation of the scroll wheel often caused me to whip way past the letter sequence I was looking for, and hence had to back up. The algorithm seems to be sensitive to both speed of scrolling as well as to the length of time you spend doing it, so quick scrolling at first goes through the list at a medium pace, continuing to do so at the same wheel rotation speed seems to accelerate through the list.

In any event, now that I am exercising more effective control, I can scroll from A to Z very quickly, probably more quickly than choosing a letter from some sort of list.

R.

jsprag
2008-06-01, 11:13
While I don't have tens of thousands of items in my lists, I do have thousands. I find the accelerated scrolling through the controller to be quite efficient -- quick rotation of the scroll wheel often caused me to whip way past the letter sequence I was looking for, and hence had to back up. The algorithm seems to be sensitive to both speed of scrolling as well as to the length of time you spend doing it, so quick scrolling at first goes through the list at a medium pace, continuing to do so at the same wheel rotation speed seems to accelerate through the list.

In any event, now that I am exercising more effective control, I can scroll from A to Z very quickly, probably more quickly than choosing a letter from some sort of list.

R.

I agree that scrolling from A to Z is very quick (just go up instead of down!) but what I find myself doing is overshooting one direction, backing up, overshooting the other direction, etc... before finally narrowing down the area I need to be at. By the time I build up the speed to get from, say A to M, I can't seem to put the brakes on in time and end I up in P. I go backwards slowly but it takes forever so I speed up. Before I know it, I'm back in J or something.

Instead of my previous suggestion, which would add an extra step for everyone whether they needed it or not, how about the following:

When you go to 'Music Library' then 'Artist' the display would look something like the following:

[Filter]
[Jump to...]
10,000 Maniacs
10 cc
.38 Special
A Flock of Seagulls
Abba
Al Stewart
Aerosmith
ZZ Top

A user would then have three options. First is to scroll down normally through the entire list. Or they could select either [Filter] or [Jump to...] and be presented with the following screen:

(123..)
(A)
(B)
(Z)

If they had chosen [Filter] then upon selecting (L) it would only show artists beginning with the letter 'L'. Scroll up or down all you want, but you will never leave the L's. If they had selected [Jump to...] and then 'L', it would give them the full list but would place them at the very first artist beginning with 'L'.

Seems like the best of both worlds.

simplefi
2008-06-01, 11:23
This sounds like a really good idea. It still wouldn't be as quick as the IR remote with its dedicated keys but it would be a good solution for the scroll wheel.

jsprag
2008-06-03, 16:17
I've gone ahead and filed this as an enhancement request bug (#8315). Feel free to view, comment, and vote.

http://bugs.slimdevices.com/show_bug.cgi?id=8315

MrSinatra
2008-06-04, 13:12
i voted for it.

(you should vote for your own bug too)