PDA

View Full Version : Setting Up receiver without controller

Petek
2008-05-31, 13:08
Hi gang. I'm sorry if this question has been answered, but I haven't been able to find anything in my search.

Currently, I have a SB3 that I'm controlling mostly through the CLI to slimserver (I'm working on the upgrade to squeezecenter) using a nifty Linux-based home automation system, LinuxMCE (www.linuxmce.com). The squeezebox receiver looks like the perfect device to bring music to areas of the house that don't have a PC and/or need a display on the unit. I assume that the receiver is addressable through the CLI just like the SB3. Is this correct? The other question I have is about network setup. Is it possible to set up the receiver without the controller? It looks like the only way to do it currently (at least for the wireless network) is through the controller. I really don't have a need for the controller at the moment, but the receiver sure is priced right.

Thanks!
PeteK

Mnyb
2008-05-31, 13:22
Here:

http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=43722

The Net-UDAP tool.

Its a beta so the use is not officially supported.(if you cant make it work your on your own ).

And remember SBR only works with SqueezeCenter 7.x.x something.
So you have to uppgrade from the old slimserver

Petek
2008-05-31, 13:31
Excellent! Thanks for the help. I think I'll pick up a receiver and give it a go.

I'll hijack my own thread here and ask another question (again caveats for possible silliness apply):

Is Logitech using different MAC address ranges for the SB3/Tranporter/receiver? We currently use MAC address for automatic device detection and configuration, and it would be nice (but probably not required) to be able to differentiate.

Mnyb
2008-05-31, 13:38
they look pretty close.
both my SB3 and Receiver has 00:04:20:xx:xx:xx addresses.
the first 6 numbers are the same, the rest is diferent.

Mark Miksis
2008-05-31, 15:00
Is Logitech using different MAC address ranges for the SB3/Tranporter/receiver? We currently use MAC address for automatic device detection and configuration, and it would be nice (but probably not required) to be able to differentiate.

I'm pretty sure that's how SqueezeCenter figures out which player you have. I'm not sure where it is in the code though, so you may need to look around.

peter
2008-06-02, 07:16
Fletch wrote:
> Petek;307270 Wrote:
>
>> Is Logitech using different MAC address ranges for the
>> SB3/Tranporter/receiver? We currently use MAC address for automatic
>> device detection and configuration, and it would be nice (but probably
>> not required) to be able to differentiate.
>>
>
> I'm pretty sure that's how SqueezeCenter figures out which player you
> have. I'm not sure where it is in the code though, so you may need to
> look around.
>

Sounds like a messy solution. If I were SD there would be an
identification call in the slimproto.

Regards,
Peter

radish
2008-06-02, 07:29
I believe that most of the players are identifiable via slimproto. However, for the specific case of SB2/SB3 there's no significant internal difference between them and they use the same firmware, thus the only way to differentiate is by MAC. The only instances I've seen of players being mis-identified by the server is it thinking an SB3 was an SB2.

barrygordon
2008-07-06, 11:41
SlimPronto asks SqueezeCenter what players it knows about and then pulls the key info for each player from SqueezeCenter. SlimPronto Knows what Squeezecenter knows. No less, no more.

radish
2008-07-07, 09:20
SlimPronto != SlimProto :)

ginibini
2008-10-27, 02:05
Hi,

does it work? Can you control the Receiver from your Linux MCE? Do you have Screenshots for me? I want to build me an HTPC with Linux MCE and control then my Squeezebox

lrossouw
2008-10-27, 03:26
You may also be able to use SqueezePlay to setup your receiver. It is like a Controller but it runs on a PC.

ginibini
2008-10-27, 04:30
Thx. Can I integrate it in Programms like Mediaportal, Mythtv or linuxmce for a HTPC and have only one UI?

peter
2008-10-27, 05:40
ginibini wrote:
> Thx. Can I integrate it in Programms like Mediaportal, Mythtv or
> linuxmce for a HTPC and have only one UI?
>

Sure you can, if you write the plugin. Please do...

Regards,
Peter

ginibini
2008-10-27, 05:48
No. I dont have an idea how can I do this

peter
2008-10-27, 06:56
ginibini wrote:
> No. I dont have an idea how can I do this
>

Darn, then we'll have to wait for the next guy together... ;)

Regards,
Peter

ginibini
2008-10-27, 08:13
mmh. This will be so cool when I can control my SB with my HTPC