PDA

View Full Version : Softsqueeze for Windows Mobile or iPhone (for my Car)

mkanet
2008-05-31, 10:53
Do people use softsqueeze on Windows Mobile or iphone? I'd like to use this and play the audio via bluetooth in my car.

I currently do this with sirius radio's client. But haven't tried softsqueeze.

EnochLight
2008-05-31, 20:15
Do people use softsqueeze on...iphone? I'd like to use this and play the audio via bluetooth in my car..

Assuming your iPhone is jail broken so you can install 3rd party apps onto it, I should ask - why would you want to replace the infinitely superior iPhone/iPod application with a mobile version of Softsqueeze in the car? I mean the iPhone's touch screen is *MADE* to work extremely well in iPod Touch mode.

Just curious what your angle is...?

Be that as it may, I don't know of any Softsqueeze application for the iPhone yet.

mkanet
2008-05-31, 20:19
I dont have either phone. I may get the new iphone which doesnt require modification for 3rd party apps. However, the whole point of this thread is to see what mobile device supports softsqueeze; since, that's probably the only way I'm going to get access to my SC in my car.

Assuming your iPhone is jail broken so you can install 3rd party apps onto it, I should ask - why would you want to replace the infinitely superior iPhone/iPod application with a mobile version of Softsqueeze in the car? I mean the iPhone's touch screen is *MADE* to work extremely well in iPod Touch mode.

Just curious what your angle is...?

Be that as it may, I don't know of any Softsqueeze application for the iPhone yet.

Zaragon
2008-06-01, 04:51
Your internet access charges could rack up fairly quickly streaming music. You could potentially use any phone that can stream MP3 rather than a full Softsqueeze type experience.

You could also use a mobile PC and then any of the Squeeze hardware. In principle a wireless client on it could then sync the music files from your home network when the car is within range of your home network.

Not exactly plug and play though.

pippin
2008-06-01, 04:58
I think I've seen a way to run SqueezeCenter on an jailbroken iPhone, however, nobody has figured out a way, yet to playback a stream on the iPhone since iPhone does not support "real" streaming (as opposed to downloading files to iPhone, what "streaming services" for iPhone do) and SC does not support byte range access which means you can't even download and play files.
Windows Mobile should be able to hook up to the mp3-stream.

EnochLight
2008-06-01, 05:42
I dont have either phone. I may get the new iphone which doesnt require modification for 3rd party apps. However, the whole point of this thread is to see what mobile device supports softsqueeze; since, that's probably the only way I'm going to get access to my SC in my car.

I get it now. For the record I do have an iPhone but it's not jail broken. I should note that the 2nd gen iPhone (and possibly the 1st gen) are both likely to support 3rd party software but it will be distributed through iTunes and it must pass Apple's approval to be supported (in other words, very unlikely you will see a mobile Softsqueeze on a device that Apple sells its own music management software for).

So if mobile Softsqueeze is your goal then a Windows Mobile (shudders) or Linux smartphone might be your best bet.

All that said you're carrier will need to support at minimum 3G (preferably with unlimited data) with reliable transfer rates where ever you plan to drive.

It might be a lot easier and less complicated to just buy an iPod, sync it with your home library that you use with your Squeezebox, and take it into the car instead. Skip the Bluetooth connection too - just use an iPod-syncable head unit or car kit - unless you're hell bent on being wireless or something (in which case I have no suggestion until the new iPhone comes out - which it may or may not support wireless transmission of music via Bluetooth).

Good luck!

mkanet
2008-06-01, 10:31
My brother uses his old windows mobile phone along with Verizon for their internet sirius radio package just fine. 3G is an overkill for just mp3 quality audio.

I'm not sure if I'd choose coolness of an iphone's interface over functionality that I need from a basic windows mobile phone. I still dont know for sure if Windows mobile will actually work with softsqueeze, which is why I started this thread. I thought maybe someone has this working already.

I get it now. For the record I do have an iPhone but it's not jail broken. I should note that the 2nd gen iPhone (and possibly the 1st gen) are both likely to support 3rd party software but it will be distributed through iTunes and it must pass Apple's approval to be supported (in other words, very unlikely you will see a mobile Softsqueeze on a device that Apple sells its own music management software for).

So if mobile Softsqueeze is your goal then a Windows Mobile (shudders) or Linux smartphone might be your best bet.

All that said you're carrier will need to support at minimum 3G (preferably with unlimited data) with reliable transfer rates where ever you plan to drive.

It might be a lot easier and less complicated to just buy an iPod, sync it with your home library that you use with your Squeezebox, and take it into the car instead. Skip the Bluetooth connection too - just use an iPod-syncable head unit or car kit - unless you're hell bent on being wireless or something (in which case I have no suggestion until the new iPhone comes out - which it may or may not support wireless transmission of music via Bluetooth).

Good luck!

mkanet
2008-06-02, 09:13
Is there a different forum I can ask this question. I certainly can't be the first person who is motivated to make this work.

pippin
2008-06-02, 09:30
Is there a different forum I can ask this question. I certainly can't be the first person who is motivated to make this work.

Developer Forum.
AFAIK, nobody has done this so far.
You could try to get SoftSqueeze to work on a jailbroken iPhone (there's a Java implementation for that; none from Apple), if you are into real development you could try to compile SqueezeSlave for iPhone or Windows Mobile.
Windows Mobile DOES have Java and you could try that, but I doubt it will have enough power, SoftSqueeze is quite a resource hog.

What you CAN do is hook up a WindowsMobile device on SqueezeCenter's mp3-stream (<server>:9000/stream.mp3), this does NOT work with the iPhone.

There's quite a bit of info on these thing on the forum, so a "search" could give you more details.

radish
2008-06-02, 09:49
Whilst some of these platforms do have Java, I very much doubt they have Swing, and I'd assume they're some variant of J2ME not J2SE (though I'm happy to be corrected!). In otherwords, getting Softsqueeze to run (never mind actually work) would be quite a challenge.

mkanet
2008-06-02, 09:50
Hi Pippin! Thanks so much for giving such a definitive answer.

I wish more people this forum were as helpful as you with direct answers. I'm finding out that this forum tends to have people posting their opinions rather than straightforward technical answers that are useful.

I hope to learn quickly and contribute back to this forum the knowledge I gain from people such as yourself and "Andy".

Anyway, if I knew how to compile java code, I certainly would! Hopefully, there's a developer out there with either an iphone or windows mobile phone who's motivated to have this work in their car (or other places).

I know that the sirius radio software for window mobile works flawlessly with high quality stereo audio while driving around town. In fact, its actually more reliable than a Sirius satelite receiver itself in certain instances such as tunnels; or during bad weather.

-Michael

Developer Forum.
AFAIK, nobody has done this so far.
You could try to get SoftSqueeze to work on a jailbroken iPhone (there's a Java implementation for that; none from Apple), if you are into real development you could try to compile SqueezeSlave for iPhone or Windows Mobile.
Windows Mobile DOES have Java and you could try that, but I doubt it will have enough power, SoftSqueeze is quite a resource hog.

What you CAN do is hook up a WindowsMobile device on SqueezeCenter's mp3-stream (<server>:9000/stream.mp3), this does NOT work with the iPhone.

There's quite a bit of info on these thing on the forum, so a "search" could give you more details.

pippin
2008-06-02, 10:22
You don't have to compile java code. If you've got a VM, you can just run it (you start the VM and pass the SoftSqueeze.JAR as a parameter. Don't ask me for more details, would have to research it myself on how to do this on WinMobile.

The main issue is: does it have the required performance and does it have the required library to play back audio.

Just trying might help ;-)

mkanet
2008-06-02, 10:38
Cool, I hope that the only issue is performance related and not the compatibility between the java VM and the softsqueeze jar. I know that these Windows mobile phones can decode mp4 audio/video streams and can certainly management to handle mp3. I'm not sure what more processing is required than to actually playback mp3 streams.

Maybe I can get my hands on a Windows Mobile phone to play with.

You don't have to compile java code. If you've got a VM, you can just run it (you start the VM and pass the SoftSqueeze.JAR as a parameter. Don't ask me for more details, would have to research it myself on how to do this on WinMobile.

The main issue is: does it have the required performance and does it have the required library to play back audio.

Just trying might help ;-)

radish
2008-06-02, 10:41

And all the other libraries SoftSqueeze needs, and the right VM. Googling around I saw a couple of options, the most promising of which was Mysaifu. It looks to be a full JVM but with only AWT support for the GUI, which I doubt is enough for Softsqueeze.

Honestly, I think you need to start with something lighter than Softsqueeze. You could probably take it's audio & network code and put on a new GUI for WM, but that's a fair bit of work.

SamS
2008-11-21, 22:32
Bump.

Just wanted to see if there are any updates to this topic.

I'm about to get an iPhone, and would love to be able to connect to SqueezeNetwork.

I understand the OrbLive app will let you get into your iTunes "on the go", but I would love to listen to Live365 stations that I have setup via SqueezeNetwork while I'm in the car.

mark-e-mark
2009-02-28, 14:21
I tried Satellite radio and found the sound quality sirius-ly lacking (pun intended). I have a new Samsung Omnia from verizon and the coverage is terrific where I am. Carriers are quickly becoming internet gateways anyway, so is anyone developing a light, mobile player that will work with squeezenetwork? I thought of softsqueeze development because the app already works with squeezenetwork, and because WinMo development may also lead to a lighter PC version, a needed improvement in my opinion.

Mark Lanctot
2009-02-28, 14:40
SoftSqueeze is no longer in development, so this is not going to happen. I believe it is open source, so anyone can take it up if they want to...

SqueezePlay is the new software player. It's much lighter than SS (written in lua as opposed to Java) so it may actually be easier to have it run on lower-power mobile devices. Whether this will happen, I don't know.

mark-e-mark
2009-02-28, 14:58
SqueezePlay is the new software player. It's much lighter than SS...

I'll definitely try out the new player. Thanks for letting me know!

djs_6978
2010-11-04, 18:10
old thread I know, but throwing out there that for the iPhone and the BBerry, there is an app called WunderRadio that handles all of the internet radio functions of the Squeezebox, including BBC, they both are foundationally built on the RadioTime database.

Well worth the purchase if you want to stream internet radio from the mobile.

I am still looking for best option for my own music collection, but a 8gb or 16gb (or bigger) micro SD chip, and pretty much can take a big portion of 320kb mp3s on the mobile as well.