PDA

View Full Version : Funny Screen Thing on my SB3

TurnipFarmer
2008-05-31, 01:12
Ive just got my SB3 yesturday and Im well chuffed with it. However looking really closely on the screen there is a flickering line on the most extreme parts of the screen, is this normal? Also when its off (standby) is it safe to leave it showing the date/time, it wont burn into the screen?

ModelCitizen
2008-05-31, 01:30
Neither of my SBs flicker like you describe and I've not heard anyone else report this problem.

I've left my screen on ever since I got my first one (when the product was first released) with no problems. I think I remember a SD person (Sean perhaps?) saying that the LCD display would operate for a huge amount of hours (much, much longer the the likely useful life of the product).

I leave mine on brightness level 3.

MC

TurnipFarmer
2008-05-31, 02:52
Cheers, as for the flicker, heres a pic, it was hard to photo and it doesnt look much but you can just see it in the pic, you can only see it really up close, might just be me being stupid but I just want to check, its like a vertical line at the end of the screen (see pic)

Let me know what you guys think.

Richie
2008-05-31, 03:38
> Ive just got my SB3 yesturday and Im well chuffed with it. However
> looking really closely on the screen there is a flickering line on the
> most extreme parts of the screen, is this normal? Also when its off
> (standby) is it safe to leave it showing the date/time, it wont burn
> into the screen?

Mine both have it, although I have to look really close up with the
lights off to see it. I think it's perfectly normal. I'm sure I can
recall a thread from a long time ago where Sean commented on it not
being a problem but I can't find it at the moment.

I think a couple of people have reported burn-in if you leave the
squeezebox on full brighness all the time, this tends to be noticed as
slightly reduced brightness from the pixels that are on all the time.
Personally, mine spend the majority of their time on brightness 3 (I
also use the date/time screensaver when not playing) and I've not
noticed any deterioration. I have two SB2s and 1 SB3 the oldest of
which must be 2-3 years old now. I think that unless you leave it on
full brightness 24 hours a day you shouldn't have a problem.

Richard

toby10
2008-05-31, 04:00
Ive just got my SB3 yesturday and Im well chuffed with it. However looking really closely on the screen there is a flickering line on the most extreme parts of the screen, is this normal? Also when its off (standby) is it safe to leave it showing the date/time, it wont burn into the screen?

My SB3 has the same very faint vertical lines on both sides of the screen.
I read once in here that the half-life of the VFD display was around 100,000 hours (pixels will be half as bright, but still completely viewable, after 100,000 hours of use).

If true, 100,000 hours = running it 24/7 for over 11 years. Even then, it is completely usable, just not as bright.

I'd guess the pixel burn reflects this slowly diminishing brightness within the most frequently used pixels (like clock display). I'm surprised no one has come up with a plugin to slowly move the static image around the screen if this is such an issue.

Bottom line, I wouldn't sweat it. :)

kh6idf
2008-05-31, 08:17
I also notice those two faint vertical lines on the display, even when the SB3 is turned off (but still plugged in). I think it is normal, probably a result of some sort of standby power on the display.

Merlin
2008-06-02, 13:29
I too get this when the unit is in standby. I also get 5 or so brown horizontal lines across the display which disappear when I unplug the unit.

The vertical lines on the extreme edges disappear when you 'Stop' squeezecentre. As soon as you 'Start' it again, the flickering vertical lines come back.