X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jabberwockie
    • Mar 2006

Scanner.exe crash and Incomplete scans on wav files

Hello,
    I have seen this on several different threads and have not seen a solution other than to disable the extension type. Myabe someone can help.

Never could get through a full scan. Viewing the scan progress in Squeezecenter would always show the scan stopping incomplete: "Directory Scan (1498 of 2836) squeeze center has finished scanning your music." I also noticed that he scan was stopping in my wav directory. Once I disabled the extension all files (except .wav files) were scanned, including the playlists, artwork etc. Also, scanner.exe no longer displayed displayed "crash" error message after disabling .wav file extensions.

If anyone needs to see a specific log file for debugging let me know the location and name of the file.
    Thanks,

Running SqueezeCenter on Windows Home Server.
    Results of my last scan after disabling wav extension:
    Music Scan DetailsDirectory Scan (2009 of 2009) Complete 00:04:20
    SqueezeCenter Version: 7.1 - 20131 @ Sat May 24 01:22:32 PDT 2008 - Windows Server 2003 - EN - cp1252
    Server IP address: 192.168.1.6
    Perl Version: 5.8.8 MSWin32-x86-multi-thread
    MySQL Version: 5.0.22-community-nt

Platform Architecture: 586
    Last edited by jabberwockie; 2008-05-30, 19:46.
  • Phil Leigh
    • Apr 2005

You may have a corrupt wav file...
    You want to see the signal path BEFORE it gets onto a CD/vinyl...it ain't what you'd call minimal...
    Touch(wired/W7)+Teddy Pardo PSU - Audiolense 3.3/2.0+INGUZ DRC - MF M1 DAC - Linn 5103 - full Aktiv 5.1 system (6x LK140's, ESPEK/TRIKAN/KATAN/SEIZMIK 10.5), Pekin Tuner, Townsend Supertweeters,VdH Toslink,Kimber 8TC Speaker & Chord Signature Plus Interconnect cables
    Stax4070+SRM7/II phones
    Kitchen Boom, Outdoors: SB Radio, Harmony One remote for everything.

Comment

• jabberwockie
      • Mar 2006

Scanner.exe crash and Incomplete scans on wav files

FYI all of my wav files are uncompressed PCM files from HDCD recordings and I have confirmed that all of the wav files play with Windows Media player.

Also, I find it hard to believe that ANY corrupt audio file would cause scanner.exe to crash. This does not seem like good software design.

Comment

• Phil Leigh
        • Apr 2005

Originally posted by jabberwockie
        FYI all of my wav files are uncompressed PCM files from HDCD recordings and I have confirmed that all of the wav files play with Windows Media player.

Also, I find it hard to believe that ANY corrupt audio file would cause scanner.exe to crash. This does not seem like good software design.
        ALL of your wav files are from HDCD recordings? How exactly did you do this...did you use the Chronotron plugin with WMP?

What would you expect the scanner to do with a corrupt file that it is trying to retrieve the tags from? (by the way, WMP is no indicator of anything other than WMP...!)
        You want to see the signal path BEFORE it gets onto a CD/vinyl...it ain't what you'd call minimal...
        Touch(wired/W7)+Teddy Pardo PSU - Audiolense 3.3/2.0+INGUZ DRC - MF M1 DAC - Linn 5103 - full Aktiv 5.1 system (6x LK140's, ESPEK/TRIKAN/KATAN/SEIZMIK 10.5), Pekin Tuner, Townsend Supertweeters,VdH Toslink,Kimber 8TC Speaker & Chord Signature Plus Interconnect cables
        Stax4070+SRM7/II phones

Comment

• jabberwockie
          • Mar 2006

I guess I would expect it to skip the files if it cant read it. I am more looking for confirmation that this is expected behavior (scanner.exe to crash when it come accross a "broken" audio file. I am able to "read" all the wav files on my PS3 and xbox 360 through the media center extender and GOM player.

Comment

• Phil Leigh
            • Apr 2005

Originally posted by jabberwockie
            I guess I would expect it to skip the files if it cant read it. I am more looking for confirmation that this is expected behavior (scanner.exe to crash when it come accross a "broken" audio file. I am able to "read" all the wav files on my PS3 and xbox 360 through the media center extender and GOM player.
            Ignoring the scanner for a moment, can you play any of these wavs by navigating via "Browse Music Folder"?

...also, wavs don't have proper tags in them.

I have many files that were created from HDCD (via chronotron+wp) and they are playable as 44.1/24 flacs on my sb3. The files are less than 2x as big as the normal 44.1/16 bit versions. Theres no way your Dire Straits track should be 400Mb! (my 44.1/16 version of that track is 25Mb)
            Last edited by Phil Leigh; 2008-06-01, 08:09.
            Stax4070+SRM7/II phones

Comment

Working...