PDA

View Full Version : Can a reciever act as an wireless Access Point?

m1abrams
2008-05-30, 08:24
I know for the controller the receiver acts as an adhoc wireless point. However can it currently act as a wireless access point? Seems it has the needed hardware. This would be a very handy feature for people with wired houses that want wireless for their laptops or handhelds. The music player is most likely in a GREAT location for an access point.

Even cooler would be if you gave them the ability to do WDS for users with multiple receivers and a bit bigger house.

radish
2008-05-30, 08:26
No, the SBR doesn't have the required hardware to act as a WAP.

m1abrams
2008-05-30, 09:44
No, the SBR doesn't have the required hardware to act as a WAP.

It doesn't? What is it missing?

radish
2008-05-30, 09:51
I think it's mainly a resource thing, assuming you want it to keep playing music :) Running an AP with multiple clients takes a fair amount of CPU and memory. Whether or not the wifi adapter in the SBR is capable of running in the right mode or not I'm not sure. However I've seen people in the past say it's not possible, which is why I said that :)

m1abrams
2008-05-30, 10:07
I think it's mainly a resource thing, assuming you want it to keep playing music :) Running an AP with multiple clients takes a fair amount of CPU and memory. Whether or not the wifi adapter in the SBR is capable of running in the right mode or not I'm not sure. However I've seen people in the past say it's not possible, which is why I said that :)

Well I hope that is not true, because it would be a very nice feature to have. I know at least in my house the best place to locate an AP is where I already have a Squeezebox. Which also happens to be a place that I normally would not get permission to place an "ugly" AP but have no issue getting a SB placed there.

bonze
2008-05-30, 12:21
I thought there were plans to have the SBR act as a 'receiver' for the SBC? So the SBC could communicate with the computer running SqueezeCenter without the need for a wireless setup.
But I don't know how far from a full AP this would be....

Ben Sandee
2008-05-30, 12:40
On Fri, May 30, 2008 at 2:21 PM, bonze <
bonze.3a8mzo1212175502 (AT) no-mx (DOT) forums.slimdevices.com> wrote:

>
> I thought there were plans to have the SBR act as a 'receiver' for the
> SBC? So the SBC could communicate with the computer running
> SqueezeCenter without the need for a wireless setup.
> But I don't know how far from a full AP this would be....

It already can, it's an ad-hoc connection. The SBR is only an "access
point" for that single device though, not a general purpose AP.

Ben