PDA

View Full Version : Two SB3s; same IP address

whitman
2008-05-30, 08:14
Just got my second SB3, which I set up in minutes of tearing open the box. I notice, though, that both my SB3s now have the same IP address. Is that right?

aubuti
2008-05-30, 08:21
No, definitely not right. They need to have unique IPs, typically on the same subnet. Assuming that you set them up to get IPs via DHCP (presumably your router), try re-doing the network setup for your new SB3 to see if it will grab a new IP that's not already in use. Also, confirm that the IP is in the range of your local LAN IP addresses, and not the external IP that the internet sees.

pfarrell
2008-05-30, 08:23
whitman wrote:
> Just got my second SB3, which I set up in minutes of tearing open the
> box. I notice, though, that both my SB3s now have the same IP address.
> Is that right?

No, two devices with the same IP address is death.

How are they setup? static IP? dhcp?
something is very wrong

--
Pat Farrell
http://www.pfarrell.com/

SadieKate
2008-05-30, 09:22
Would you please clarify for the non-techie where you see this info? I just added two Duet receivers and in SqueezeNetwork settings, the controller and all 3 players have the same "Player IP Address". The "Player MAC Address" is different for each.

whitman
2008-05-30, 09:37
Aubuti: Tried again, same thing happened. I'm not sure what you mean by local LAN and all that.

Pfarrell: I used the 'automatically find IP address' option. Do I assume that I can go the 'static IP' route and type a number of my own fancy, perhaps one digit higher than the 'repeated' number?

SadieKate: In 6.5.4, which I'm using, under settings, I have three headings: server settings; player settings for [IP address]; player settings for [exactly the same IP address].

sebp
2008-05-30, 10:03
Would you please clarify for the non-techie where you see this info? I just added two Duet receivers and in SqueezeNetwork settings, the controller and all 3 players have the same "Player IP Address". The "Player MAC Address" is different for each.
Having same IP address is death, unless you have your Squeezeboxen connected to SqueezeNetwork, in which case this is your Internet router's public IP address that will be seen by SN as your players IP.
Nothing wrong here.

pfarrell
2008-05-30, 10:36
whitman wrote:
> Aubuti: Tried again, same thing happened. I'm not sure what you mean by
> local LAN and all that.

I'm not sure I follow Aubuti's definitions, either.

To Whitman, please help us understand your network setup.

something like:

internet DSL -> DSL "modem" -> hub ->
-> PC with squeezecenter
-> SqueezeBox classic
-> SB3
-> another PC used for taxes ...

And let us know what is providing DHCP services for your computers

> Pfarrell: I used the 'automatically find IP address' option. Do I
> assume that I can go the 'static IP' route and type a number of my own
> fancy, perhaps one digit higher than the 'repeated' number?

Its best not to make random changes to IP addresses.
If you want, you can go all "static" addresses, but you have to do it
carefully and consistantly with your "modem" or router. And its so easy
to break, that I don't recommend it. In fact, DHCP was invented because
fixed addresses are too easy to break.

--
Pat Farrell

whitman
2008-05-30, 10:52
What ho pfarrell.

Internet comes in thanks to Virgin cable. Then a modem, then my wireless router. Ethernet cable from that to my desktop Mac with 6.5.4 Slimserver. Now two SB3s on wireless network (second one added today, hence probs). T'is all.

You ask what is providing DHCP, but I don't know what DHCP is.

pfarrell
2008-05-30, 11:41
whitman wrote:
> What ho pfarrell.
>
> Internet comes in thanks to Virgin cable. Then a modem, then my
> wireless router. Ethernet cable from that to my desktop Mac with 6.5.4
> Slimserver. Now two SB3s on wireless network (second one added today,
> hence probs). T'is all.
>
> You ask what is providing DHCP, but I don't know what DHCP is.

Have you looked at the Wiki?
http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.php/NetworkingGuide
Its a decent start.

Lots of folks have "issues" that are really networking, not SqueezeBox
hardware. Its actually amazingly complex, but the wiki will start.

DHCP is Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dynamic_Host_Configuration_Protocol

In short, every device on the Internet must have a unique TCP/IP
address. DHCP is how a device asks for a unique address. A DHCP server
is the box that provides the answer.

In your setup, either the Virgin cable modem, or your Wireless router is
acting as the DHCP server. If both are, that is bad.

You should check the manuals for your modem and router, and see how to
look at the admin page, and see which is providing DHCP service.

--
Pat Farrell

SadieKate
2008-05-30, 13:13
Having same IP address is death, unless you have your Squeezeboxen connected to SqueezeNetwork, in which case this is your Internet router's public IP address that will be seen by SN as your players IP.
Nothing wrong here.Whew, thanks. Setting up the two new receivers was so easy and fast (compared to the first adventure with the Duet itself) it seemed too good to be true.

Now, if I could solve the wireless signal or ethernet connection to my upstairs so the 3rd receiver could actually be used. Another saga . . .

whitman
2008-05-31, 01:24
Pat (and anyone else looking in),

Thanks for wiki advice and all the fish.

OK, so it's my router is doing the DHCP thing. The 'attached devices' list on it insisted the two SBs did in fact have different IP address numbers. I checked within the player settings in Slimserver, and indeed they do have different numbers. Hmm. 'Settings' list in Slimserver is the culprit, it seems, and this seems in fact to have been a simple naming problem rather than an actual problem. I open each of the Player Settings under Settings, and call one player 'lounge' and the other 'kitchen'. End of problem (or so I'm hoping).

Sorry to have caused such strife for a silly thing. But as usual with the SB, I don't think any of the instructions talked about naming the devices. You really have to find these things out for yourself, it seems - guided and helped, of course, by the generous chaps here on the forum.

Over and (I hope) out.