PDA

View Full Version : Supplier of broken SB3 doesn't repair. What now?

pulp_136
2008-05-30, 02:01
I got my SB3 a couple of years ago from Germany not being able to find it in Greece. It seems to be broken (both the display and the analog outputs) and out of warranty. I contacted the German supplier for a repair and got this reply:

"...ich habe bei uns im Lager nachgefragt , leider muss ich Ihnen mitteilen , dass es die Firma SlimDevices
nicht mehr gibt - somit ist eine Reparatur nicht mehr möglich...."

which freely translates into:
"...I unfortunately have to tell you that the company SlimDevices doesn't exist anymore - therefore a repair is not longer possible..."

I also tried to reach Logitech in Greece with no success.

Can you advice me what to do? Where do I have to send it for repair? I worry that the total costs wouldn't make it worth, but I can't accept to have to throw away an electronic device so short after the warranty expired.

Repair time is not an issue, I immediately purchased a new one, since they are also available in Greece now.

Or should I push the German supplier? Is their reaction legitimate? They still offer all the new products (black SB3, Duet etc...).

thanks in advance

ElFishi
2008-05-30, 02:23
In Germany warranty lasts two years by law.
I recently returned a Slimdevices SB and had it repaired free of charge.
So if your SB had been bought less than two years ago you might want to press the retailer.

Siduhe
2008-05-30, 02:29
which freely translates into:
"...I unfortunately have to tell you that the company SlimDevices doesn't exist anymore - therefore a repair is not longer possible..."

"Slim Devices" does still exist (look up at the top of this page for example) but it is now a division of Logitech. A repair remains possible, just a question of whether it is within warranty or not. I would contact support@slimdevices.com and discuss the issue with them. They will be able to advise you what the position is so far as they are concerned, and should also be able to tell you what they consider to be your supplier's obligations.

I would consider it to be very sharp practice to decline to honour a warranty (if your device is, indeed, within warranty) simply because the company has since been brought out by a bigger supplier. Slim may well take the same view.

pulp_136
2008-05-30, 05:58
thanks for your replies.

if your device is, indeed, within warranty

I must have put it wrong in my original post. The warranty has expired (a matter of days, but still expired).

I would contact support@slimdevices.com and discuss the issue with them. They will be able to advise you what the position is so far as they are concerned, and should also be able to tell you what they consider to be your supplier's obligations.

I'll do that. Thank you.

Brian Ritchie
2008-05-30, 11:55
Depending on postage costs, you might consider it cost-effective to send it back to SlimDelogitech in the US for repair.

See this thread (http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=34441) for my (UK-based) experience. (There's an "instant summary" at the top of page 2.)

-- Brian