PDA

View Full Version : Defective Squeezebox3? Network trouble...

RainmanRam
2008-05-29, 19:59
I have 2 squeezebox3's that I've been using for some time now. One is wired only, and the other is wired/wireless. I usually keep these two devices sync'ed but recently I've had trouble with the players stopping.

What I've discovered is that the wired/wireless device appears to have a networking problem (even though I'm using the wired connection). Network performance for 500kbps reports about 50% ave. This is still the case if I swap the two player's locations.

A secondary question is how is the network performance is supposed to work? The wired only player (with apparently good performance), doesn't keep the network performance test running like the wireless/wired device does (the one having the problem). It just reports 100% all the way up to 5000kbps and the web page/player revert back to the previous page/state. The graph on the web page shows 100% but then the test appears to stop running -- unlike the other device that continually runs the test reporting about 50% ave at 500kbps.

I have not tried to link the wireless device up wirelessly, I suppose that should be my next experiment. I do have a wireless network but can hardwire the device so why bother? I assume the wireless is shut off if I choose to connect through a wire right? Is there something that hooking up wirelessly might determine?

Thanks,
Ray

Mnyb
2008-05-29, 20:49
I'm not sure that I understands you correctly ?

You can test the speed at the wireless connection, if i'm understanding this you are testing the speed at the Ethernet ports.
You can see if your Ethernet port is broken and if the radio card is working.

If i get it, one off your SB3's is showing a very low speed 500kbps at the wired ethernet port ?

If you set this one up as wireless and do the test if it's working that way there's *only* problems with the wired connection on that player.

If you get similar lame results as before there's probably a more severe fault in that player.

As an example My wireless SB3 gets 52 trials with 98% avg at 3000kbps signal strength is 92%

so 500kbps 50% is really crappy, so something is wrong.
The ethernet port is supposed to be faster then the radio.

Btw have you done the factory reset ? have you done the reset of the Xilink chip ?

Is there any warranty left on the player ?

RainmanRam
2008-05-29, 21:51
Just did a factory reset on the wired/wireless unit and when hooked up wirelessly, I end up with approximately the same results -- 50% average at 500kbps. Just in case, I did another factory reset and configured back to use the ethernet port and still get ~50% at 500kbps.

Had to do a search for the Xilink chip reset/reprogramming, didn't know about that one (hold "1" while powering up). No change.

I purchased the unit Sept 2006, don't know if warrantee was 2 years at that time but I guess I'll be sending the unit back for service if I don't get any other suggestions.

Thanks,
Ray

snarlydwarf
2008-05-29, 22:57
So you are actually running both of these wired?

Have you tried swapping them?

It is possible you have a bad cable run to the oddball one. (Though that wouldn't necessarily explain the poor wireless performance.)

I've just seen too many cables run by telephone guys who don't get that the twist method matters. (Ie, each item in a pair is twisted with its inverted signal, not just some random wire...)

Twisting wrong leads to all sorts of nightmare interference.

RainmanRam
2008-05-30, 04:52
Yes, both are being run wired. The first thing I did was swapped the two devices (including power supplies). They both returned the same results in both positions.

I use either T586A or T586B for my wiring. The fast squeezebox returns 100% on the 5000kbs test in both locations. At least I think it does. When run tests against that squeezebox, the test shows 100% and the first page refresh returns to the server & network health main page (where you select the speed to test) and the unit returns to a stopped state. Is this expected behavior? The slow one stays on the test page and continually tests and updates the ave.

Thanks,
Ray

snarlydwarf
2008-05-30, 07:46
I dunno, it's been a long time since I ran the net test...

The other thing to look at is that under some mysterious conditions, the MAC on the SB can get confused. Hold the left arrow until you get back to settings for the player and check the MAC ID and make sure it matches the MAC on the sticker on the bottom. It should start with 00:04:20.. if it doesn't then you can change it there to match.

When the MAC gets confused it tends to do odd things.

RainmanRam
2008-05-30, 11:16
Found the problem. It was indeed a bad cable. The one connecting the server to the network. Now I get 5000kbps on all three connections (2x wired, 1x wireless).

The solution and problem were obstructed by the fact that there appears to be a bug in the "Network Health" test. The squeezebox I thought had a good connection wasn't actually being tested. From the web page clicking on a speed test should start the test running and it should continue to run. This was not what I was experiencing and testing would be stopped and the web page was refreshed back to the network health page. I incorrectly assumed that this meant the test was successful. Starting the test from the squeezebox showed the proper behavior and I found bad "health" for both units. Reduction and isolation lead me to the bad cable.

I'd like to also note that I did check the MAC address. I had that problem in the past and it took a long time for me to find the problem. That's one of the first things I check now when troubleshooting. Sounds like that problem still exists. I haven't had it happen for about a year (perhaps since I've hardcoded IP addresses?). When I did have that problem, it occured 3 times in one month.

A BIG thanks for the help and ideas! If it were not for this community helping me to solve several problems, I may have given up on Squeezeboxes by now. After about 1.5 years using them nearly daily, I'm pretty sure I'm addicted now...

Rock on...

- Ray

snarlydwarf
2008-05-30, 23:20
I'd like to also note that I did check the MAC address. I had that problem in the past and it took a long time for me to find the problem. That's one of the first things I check now when troubleshooting. Sounds like that problem still exists. I haven't had it happen for about a year (perhaps since I've hardcoded IP addresses?). When I did have that problem, it occured 3 times in one month.

There was a cause of that bug fixed some time ago... but it shows up here very occasionally (maybe every other month for one poster or another), so it seems there is still a bug (stack overflow or buffer overrun?) that can trigger it... but finding it is probably incredibly hard considering how rare it seems... but if it sneak up on you it makes for some very odd behavior (dropped packets, etc) which mystify me. (I mean, I do change my MAC on my PC's periodically and they never do such odd things... a few ARP's and they are happy again...)

Glad you got it working.

Sucks to part with a SB for repair.