PDA

View Full Version : MusicIP Rocks!

Pages : [1] 2

maggior
2008-05-29, 19:27
Sorry, but I just have to share my new enthusiasm for this plugin :-).

I've been using a squeezebox for 1 1/2 years now and have just recently discovered the magic of MusicIP! I saw it discussed in a thread here and based on what was said about it, I thought I'd give it a whirl.

Wow!! I have a library that is currently 20,000+ tracks and growing. So, when I have time to listen to music, it is often challenging to think of an album I feel like listening to.

MusicIP makes it easy. Just find a song, artist, or genre that appeals to you at the moment, and press-and-hold play. A playlist is created instantly that is guaranteed to appeal to you. I'm still amazed how it will pull tracks from totally different genres that fit together. It is so much better than random shuffling a genre or a group of artists. It's like having a DJ that understands your current mood and will play tracks from your library to fit.

Here's a link to the Wiki article about it:
http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.php/MusicMagicMixer

Rest assured that the free version is all you need (which is unbelievable). I got this all up and running on Linux in less than an hour.

Always something new to discover - that's what I love about music and the SqueezeBox.

mkanet
2008-05-29, 20:31
How is it different from Pandora? Pandora actually uses a gigantic database which holds song information about the RPM of the songs, instruments used, style. My only complaint is if you listen to the same station long enough, you start hearing the same songs again.

BigTony
2008-05-30, 00:06
Your experience is totally different from mine.
After MusicIP finally managed to crawl through all my music collection, it flatly refused to talk with Squeeze Center, and no amout of tweaking and fiddling about over came this problem. In the end after a week of trying I removed it. Maybe it doesn't play nice with Windows :-)

BT

mherger
2008-05-30, 00:31
> Maybe it doesn't play nice with Windows :-)

Are you using any 3rd party firewall? I could imagine communication issues
between SC and MIP if a firewall is blocking MIP's ports.

Michael

pippin
2008-05-30, 00:53
A LITTLE bit OT here, but: is there any way to run MIP on a headless system (ubuntu server that is), with only command line I/F?

mherger
2008-05-30, 01:05
> A LITTLE bit OT here, but: is there any way to run MIP on a headless
> system (ubuntu server that is), with only command line I/F?

Yes. There's a wiki article and I think MusicIP have their dedicated FAQ
entry, too ;-). It's the way I've been running my MIP for a few years now.

Michael

Siduhe
2008-05-30, 01:40
I'm another massive fan of MIP, and the latest beta incorporates some really new interesting functionality (see http://blog.musicip.com/). However, I'm not sure how many of these will ever make it into the headless install, which is a real shame. IME, running headless is by far the easiest way to make Squeezecenter and MIP play nicely together. I run Windows XP and my headless install has been rock solid for over two years now - Squeezecenter has been far more troublesome on occasions!

Quick plug for the Spicefly (http://spicefly.com/content/category/5/16/32/) pages too. Chris has put a lot of work into producing some really helpful info on making Squeezecenter work with MIP.

Oh, and the last version of MIP but one introduced a new music recognition engine, so scanning your music library should be a lot faster than it was. Will still take a while, particularly if you have lots of less popular tracks (if the MIP database recognises a track because someone else has uploaded it, it will scan it quickly using the data it already has, but tracks it doesn't know take longer). May be worth giving it another try.

pippin
2008-05-30, 02:03
> A LITTLE bit OT here, but: is there any way to run MIP on a headless
> system (ubuntu server that is), with only command line I/F?

Yes. There's a wiki article and I think MusicIP have their dedicated FAQ
entry, too ;-). It's the way I've been running my MIP for a few years now.

Michael

Thanks, finally found it, it's under "server" on MIP's page. There's nothing in the wiki, though.
Will try to get it up and running this we.

mherger
2008-05-30, 02:17
> Thanks, finally found it, it's under "server" on MIP's page. There's
> nothing in the wiki, though.

Argh... renaming a product is a bad idea :-/. MIP used to be MusicMagic.
And whoever created the wiki entry accidentally named it MusicMatch -
which is yet another product all together...

http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.php/MusicMatchMixerHeadlessOnLinux

Michael

mherger
2008-05-30, 02:24
Fixed this:
http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.php/MusicIPHeadlessOnLinux

Michael

pippin
2008-05-30, 02:42
> Thanks, finally found it, it's under "server" on MIP's page. There's
> nothing in the wiki, though.

Argh... renaming a product is a bad idea :-/. MIP used to be MusicMagic.
And whoever created the wiki entry accidentally named it MusicMatch -
which is yet another product all together...

http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.php/MusicMatchMixerHeadlessOnLinux

Michael

Ahh. This one is better than MIP's
MusicMatch isn't anymore, too (yahoo bought it and renamed it to soemthing else, don't remember doesn't work well anymore anyway. One of those formerly cool products "developed to death")

jeebers
2008-05-30, 04:00
I'm tempted to give MusicIP a go, but have been put off by the potential scan time. Can anyone give me a rough idea of how long it would take to do the initial scan on a library of about 26,000 tracks? I'm running SC7.0 on a XP Pro machine with a single core 3.2Ghz machine and 2gig of RAM. No other software on it apart from Zonealarm.

Thanks in advance...

mherger
2008-05-30, 05:02
> I'm tempted to give MusicIP a go, but have been put off by the potential
> scan time. Can anyone give me a rough idea of how long it would take to
> do the initial scan on a library of about 26,000 tracks?

I don't have numbers. But I'd rather count hours than days with your configuration. My C3/1GHz took about a week for 7000 tracks :-).

--

Michael

Siduhe
2008-05-30, 06:31
I'm tempted to give MusicIP a go, but have been put off by the potential scan time. Can anyone give me a rough idea of how long it would take to do the initial scan on a library of about 26,000 tracks? I'm running SC7.0 on a XP Pro machine with a single core 3.2Ghz machine and 2gig of RAM. No other software on it apart from Zonealarm.

Thanks in advance...

As I mention above, it will depend quite a bit as to what kind of music you have on there. MIP first conducts a check on each song to see if it is already on its server database. If the server already has info on that particular song, it gets validated almost instantly. However, if the song has never been analyzed, then analysis has to be uploaded to the MIP server.

From the MIP site:

Validation speed depends on your processor speed and the overlap between your library and the MIP server database. If the song is a part of our master database, it will only need to be fingerprinted, which should take approximately 2-3 seconds per song. If the song is not a part of our master database, it will need to be fully analyzed, which is more like 80% of the song's length.

Things I can recommend to speed up the process:

Shut down Squeezecenter;
Change Scanner process in MIP to High Priority;
Make sure you have a wired (cable) connection between the processor and your router (if that's how you access the internet) - wireless validation is a lot slower;
Leave to run overnight.

In the morning, stop the validation, start everything else back up, repeat till it's done.

aubuti
2008-05-30, 06:33
How is it different from Pandora? Pandora actually uses a gigantic database which holds song information about the RPM of the songs, instruments used, style. My only complaint is if you listen to the same station long enough, you start hearing the same songs again.
Same basic idea of "music discovery", but also some major differences. Pandora chooses from a huge array of music in *their* library, whereas MusicIP chooses from the tracks in the user's library. MusicIP creates playlists that you can save, modify (every service manages to discover some real duds sometimes) and replay. I've only used the free (web) version of Pandora, which severely limits how far ahead you can see in the playlist, and limits the number of skips you can make. I don't know if the paid version of Pandora is more flexible. MusicIP gives you complete control because, after all, you already bought those tracks.

Siduhe
2008-05-30, 06:54
MIP also supports different kinds of mixes, e.g. Jagged, Smooth, Waypoint, Multi-seed, Spiced and in the latest beta, Freestyle. So if you want a mix of songs that sound very similar, you can have it (Smooth). If you want a mix that traverses in a pleasing way from Song A to Song B (Waypoint). If you want a subset of music, so creating a mix from the Rock genre, or from a given artist (without any duplicates) then you can have that too at the push of a button (Spice Playlist).

I'm also using Moods a lot at the moment (they are supported within Squeezecenter). You pick a few songs that define a particular mood to you (Happy, Sad, Angry, makes the hoovering bearable etc). Save them as a Mood, then ask Squeezcenter to mix you up some songs that match that mood. Works very well for me.

As I've said before, MusicIP is my musthave plugin for Squeezecenter - it's made me rediscover a bunch of music I haven't heard in a long time, and I'm really pleased the Mixer software is getting some heavy development at the moment (the team seem to have been working quite hard on some of their other products recently).

Edited to say that I am using the Premium version, and some of what I describe above is only available on that version and not on the Basic (free) version. IMHO, it was worth the one off licence.

maggior
2008-05-30, 07:19
> I'm tempted to give MusicIP a go, but have been put off by the potential
> scan time. Can anyone give me a rough idea of how long it would take to
> do the initial scan on a library of about 26,000 tracks?

I don't have numbers. But I'd rather count hours than days with your configuration. My C3/1GHz took about a week for 7000 tracks :-).

--

Michael

Wow, I'm glad to see others share my enthusiasm.

In my music library, I have 20,293 songs. Of those, 14,430 are listed as mixable.

I brought up the GUI to see which files were not tagged as mixable. Turns out that the vast majority of them are bootleg recordings of concerts. I see this as a feature because I would perfer it leave these out of my mixes.

I was shocked at the amount of music it picked up. I listen to a lot of indie electronic music (Redshift, Arc, RMI, Mark Shreeve to name a few). All of these albums were found in the database and marked as mixable. All of my "non-mainstream" music was picked up too (Porcupine Tree, Ozric Tentacles, Klaus Schulze, etc.) Either the database is quite extensive and detailed or I'm just lucky that much of this genre is picked up. This database is certainly not limited to just what is currently popular with the masses.

The initial scan for these 14,430 tracks took under 1/2 hour.

Don't let the validation time scare you - odds are the database will already contain the majority of your library.

bklaas
2008-05-30, 12:23
In case you didn't see it in the SqueezeOS forum, MusicIP is also now supported on the beta firmware (7.1) of the SqueezeboxController. Details here:
http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=47907

cheers,
#!/ben

Philip Meyer
2008-05-30, 14:45
>I was shocked at the amount of music it picked up. I listen to a lot
>of indie electronic music (Redshift, Arc, RMI, Mark Shreeve to name a
>few). All of these albums were found in the database and marked as
>mixable. All of my "non-mainstream" music was picked up too (Porcupine
>Tree, Ozric Tentacles, Klaus Schulze, etc.) Either the database is
>quite extensive and detailed or I'm just lucky that much of this genre
>is picked up. This database is certainly not limited to just what is
>currently popular with the masses.
>
>The initial scan for these 14,430 tracks took under 1/2 hour.
>
Interesting. My library sounds very similar to yours. Lots of Electronic and progressive music (I'm a big fan of Porcupine Tree, Redshift, AirSculpture, Schulze, etc).

Due to your post, I decided to give MusicIP a try. I downloaded the latest version listed on their website (1.8.1b).

It's currently reporting:
Total songs: 15,903
Ready songs: 15,329 (13,977 need verification)
Unanalyzable songs: 45

It's taking an absolute age to verify tracks (several minutes per song). Is there another version I should be using instead?

Phil

pippin
2008-05-30, 15:09
Several minutes is fine. I started my validation at around 5 hours ago and when I looked back into it right now, it had managed to analyze a full 22 songs (sic!).
C7, 1GHz, 1GB RAM
Looks like a few busy weeks for my little server...

Siduhe
2008-05-30, 15:20
I haven't run MIP over a large library for ages, but it does tend to go in fits and starts - the first 22 songs may take an hour and then it whizzes through the next 22 in ten minutes. Can only suggest running it overnight for a few nights...

mherger
2008-05-30, 15:26
> C7, 1GHz, 1GB RAM
> Looks like a few busy weeks for my little server...

My similarly speced machine (C3/1GHz) took about a week at >90% load for my then 7000 tracks or so. Some of them took a very long time, others none at all.

Mixes keep surprising me. Did a rather smooth mix for my GF. Right now on my Controller's display are:

Shoot the Moon (Norah Jones)
Friar Park (Ravi Shankar)
Moon over Bourbon Street (Sting)
De Mond im Buuch (Fingerpoke - Swiss German)

Three out of four tracks related to the moon - time to go to bed, I guess.

Siduhe
2008-05-30, 16:06
I'm more impressed with the segue from Norah Jones to Ravi Shankar...

egd
2008-05-30, 16:50
MIP also supports different kinds of mixes, e.g. Jagged, Smooth, Waypoint, Multi-seed, Spiced and in the latest beta, Freestyle. So if you want a mix of songs that sound very similar, you can have it (Smooth). If you want a mix that traverses in a pleasing way from Song A to Song B (Waypoint). If you want a subset of music, so creating a mix from the Rock genre, or from a given artist (without any duplicates) then you can have that too at the push of a button (Spice Playlist).

I'm also using Moods a lot at the moment (they are supported within Squeezecenter). You pick a few songs that define a particular mood to you (Happy, Sad, Angry, makes the hoovering bearable etc). Save them as a Mood, then ask Squeezcenter to mix you up some songs that match that mood. Works very well for me.

Could you elaborate on how you're using Mixes and Moods with headless or point me to something that explains how it's done.

egd
2008-05-30, 17:08
It's taking an absolute age to verify tracks (several minutes per song). Is there another version I should be using instead? There's a program called genpuid that does the analysis from the command line and seems to me to run a little faster than MiP GUI. Might be worth giving it a try - I don't do any analysis via the GUI anymore, in fact I hardly use the GUI as I have MiP running headless on my NAS.

My entire library has been MiP analyzed and analysis archived to tags. Of >90k songs I have 137 that are unanalyzable, all of which are spoken word, extremely long or silent tracks.

Some MiP analysis lessons I've learned:
- if you're using an older/ slower PC to do the analysis work, do your scanning overnight or run it as a low priority process in the background and accept that it may take days - the end result is worth the wait
- if you're doing analysis across a network and a song comes back unanalyzable, try copying the song to your local drive and reanalyzing. This is particularly the case if you're running a Windows box (don't ask me why, but I suspect it has something to do with the CIFS protocol)
- if you have a dual/quad core PC you can pretty much do the analysis at high priority without impacting the pc's overall performance.
- if you have a dual/quad core PC you can run multiple instances of genpuid, with each pointed at a different portion of your library = get the job done a hell of a lot faster
- there is nothing stopping you using SC whilst analysis is being performed (unless you're using genpuid and have it set to archive tags on the fly. Even then, it is easy to see which part of your library is being worked on and thus avoid playing it) so keep enjoying your music and let MiP do its thing in the background.
- archive the analysis results to tags. A large MiP database is prone to corruption by MiP GUI as it doesn't handle very large databases well (my MiP analysis database is around 75mb, and MiP GUI crashes frequently if you try to navigate the database).

Siduhe
2008-05-30, 17:44
Some MiP analysis lessons I've learned:
- if you're using an older/ slower PC to do the analysis work, do your scanning overnight or run it as a low priority process in the background and accept that it may take days - the end result is worth the wait
- if you're doing analysis across a network and a song comes back unanalyzable, try copying the song to your local drive and reanalyzing. This is particularly the case if you're running a Windows box (don't ask me why, but I suspect it has something to do with the CIFS protocol)
- if you have a dual/quad core PC you can pretty much do the analysis at high priority without impacting the pc's overall performance.
- if you have a dual/quad core PC you can run multiple instances of genpuid, with each pointed at a different portion of your library = get the job done a hell of a lot faster
- there is nothing stopping you using SC whilst analysis is being performed (unless you're using genpuid and have it set to archive tags on the fly. Even then, it is easy to see which part of your library is being worked on and thus avoid playing it) so keep enjoying your music and let MiP do its thing in the background.
- archive the analysis results to tags. A large MiP database is prone to corruption by MiP GUI as it doesn't handle very large databases well (my MiP analysis database is around 75mb, and MiP GUI crashes frequently if you try to navigate the database).

What he said, save that you absolutely must do a full backup and double check it before archiving the tags. Know I'm probably preaching to the converted, but the archiving has once corrupted some of my files. Was a much older version of MIP, so may not be a significant issue now, but there was much cursing at the time...

Siduhe
2008-05-30, 18:04
Could you elaborate on how you're using Mixes and Moods with headless or point me to something that explains how it's done.

You need to use the GUI to create the mood, but once saved (and after a clear and rescan) it should be available in Squeezecenter even when running headless. Although, do you run Linux, Mac or Windows? I seem to recall that you can open up the GUI in Windows even when running headless, but not always with the Linux version.

If you can get to the GUI, the MIP instructions are below - it's pretty straightforward.

http://www.musicip.com/mixer/moods.jsp

I'm hoping the new API (whicken mentions above) will give us a few more mix options direct from the Squeezecenter interface.

egd
2008-05-30, 18:28
You need to use the GUI to create the mood, but once saved (and after a clear and rescan) it should be available in Squeezecenter even when running headless. Although, do you run Linux, Mac or Windows? I seem to recall that you can open up the GUI in Windows even when running headless, but not always with the Linux version. Thanks Sidhue. Both my desktop and NAS (where MiP is running headless) are Linux based, however, I do maintain a virtual machine with MiP and mp3tag installed for occasions like this. I'll check the link, and see what mood and mix files are generated in MiP because I'll need to move them to the NAS to use them.

Siduhe
2008-05-30, 19:20
I imagine you can create the necessary .m3u files manually as well, and just save them in the relevant Moods directory. The .m3umood type files, not so sure.

Am currently trying to get my head around recipes and if/how these could be used headless...

http://blog.musicip.com/2007/04/09/mixer-18-preview-constraints/

maggior
2008-05-30, 20:00
>I was shocked at the amount of music it picked up. I listen to a lot
>of indie electronic music (Redshift, Arc, RMI, Mark Shreeve to name a
>few). All of these albums were found in the database and marked as
>mixable. All of my "non-mainstream" music was picked up too (Porcupine
>Tree, Ozric Tentacles, Klaus Schulze, etc.) Either the database is
>quite extensive and detailed or I'm just lucky that much of this genre
>is picked up. This database is certainly not limited to just what is
>currently popular with the masses.
>
>The initial scan for these 14,430 tracks took under 1/2 hour.
>
Interesting. My library sounds very similar to yours. Lots of Electronic and progressive music (I'm a big fan of Porcupine Tree, Redshift, AirSculpture, Schulze, etc).

Due to your post, I decided to give MusicIP a try. I downloaded the latest version listed on their website (1.8.1b).

It's currently reporting:
Total songs: 15,903
Ready songs: 15,329 (13,977 need verification)
Unanalyzable songs: 45

It's taking an absolute age to verify tracks (several minutes per song). Is there another version I should be using instead?

Phil

Hi Phil -

Nice to meet somebody here that shares my taste in music :-). My MusicIP currently reports this:
Total songs 20,293
Mixable songs 14,430
Songs to validate 20,293

I'm guessing that "ready songs" = "mixable songs".

Unless I'm missing something, you are good to go at this point and can create mixes from the ~15,000 songs that are "ready". Even though my server reports that there are 20,293 songs to validate, I'm still able to create mixes. It is only bootlegs that I've noticed don't have the "m" next to them on my SB - most of my songs can be mixed.

At this point, I would configure SqueezeCenter to use MusicIP and point it to the headless server for MusicIP. I think you'll find that you are able to create mixes from the vast majority of your library.

Glad to hear you took the plunge. Good luck, and happy mixing!

To those that know more about this - is there a reason in a case like this to have MusicIP perform the "analysis" or "validation", other than to increase the number of mixable songs?

maggior
2008-05-30, 20:04
I'm more impressed with the segue from Norah Jones to Ravi Shankar...

This is impressive. For those that aren't familiar with Norah Jones and Ravi Shankar, they are father and daughter. Musically, I don't think they have a lot in common.

mherger
2008-05-30, 22:54
> I'm more impressed with the segue from Norah Jones to Ravi Shankar...

It's obviously in the genes. MusicIP owns MusicDNS :-)

--

Michael

Philip Meyer
2008-05-31, 00:42
>Unless I'm missing something, you are good to go at this point and can
>create mixes from the ~15,000 songs that are "ready". Even though my
>server reports that there are 20,293 songs to validate, I'm still able
>to create mixes. It is only bootlegs that I've noticed don't have the
>"m" next to them on my SB - most of my songs can be mixed.
>
Yes, I put MusicIP into headless mode, rescanned my library, and then created a mix.

Seems great so far.

I find the terminology a bit confusing in the MusicIP interface. Validated/verified/analysed/ready songs...

I changed the UI to display the status column, and I can see:

Identified(To be verified)
To be analysed
Analysed
Unanalyzable

I guess that "To be analysed" is indicating the next few songs that will be validated/verified.

The next thing for me will be to see if MusicIP is integrated into Erlands plugins (DynamicPlaylist, CustomScan, CustomBrowse, TrackStat). I'd like to be able to get new songs added to the end of the mix as old songs move off the top of the list.

Phil

Nonreality
2008-05-31, 05:03
Hi Phil -

To those that know more about this - is there a reason in a case like this to have MusicIP perform the "analysis" or "validation", other than to increase the number of mixable songs?
I'm not really in the know but you can mix songs all most from the beginning, but after it validates your songs you will get better mixes as it tags songs will it's analysis. So keep it running until it shows no more songs to validate. You can set it on how much resources you want it to use. It took a couple of days on my 13k library. I would give it full resources over night then turn it way back during the day when my kids were using the computer.

maggior
2008-05-31, 05:36
I find the terminology a bit confusing in the MusicIP interface. Validated/verified/analysed/ready songs...

Phil

Me too. I got hung up on the mixer and server not being a client/server pair but each a stand-alone variation on the other.

I wish there was a way to run the mixer GUI on one machine and point it to another machine where the headless server is running. Luckily I have X installed on my main music server.

It will be fun to tinker with it.

sebp
2008-05-31, 07:18
This MusicIP thing sounds very appealing to me, but it's obvious that I won't be able to have its service running on the same machine than SqueezeCenter (ReadyNAS with SPARC-like CPU). I could have it running on my Mac mini, but it's not running 24/7.

Is it possible to have MusicIP service running on another machine than SC?
If so, does SC handle well the fact that the MusicIP server is off?

Thanks for your answers.

Seb

mswlogo
2008-05-31, 19:13
MIP sounds interesting but I'm not sure it will work for me.

Problem I have is, I never know what I'm in the mood for, which is why I like the squeezebox so much because I have it Random song mode most of the time.

If I suddenly find myself in the mood for the whole album I switch it to playing that album right then.

But if I have to "Pick a mood", that sounds as tedious (and crap shoot) as picking a CD. Before squeezebox I'd think I'm in the mood for rock but turns out I wasn't. Since having the squeezebox I realize my predicting my mood for type of music was very poor.

Also what is MIP doing when "Analyzing/Verifying".

maggior
2008-05-31, 19:35
MIP sounds interesting but I'm not sure it will work for me.

Problem I have is, I never know what I'm in the mood for, which is why I like the squeezebox so much because I have it Random song mode most of the time.

If I suddenly find myself in the mood for the whole album I switch it to playing that album right then.

But if I have to "Pick a mood", that sounds as tedious (and crap shoot) as picking a CD. Before squeezebox I'd think I'm in the mood for rock but turns out I wasn't. Since having the squeezebox I realize my predicting my mood for type of music was very poor.

Also what is MIP doing when "Analyzing/Verifying".

Picking a "mood" is just one mode of operation of MusicIP. It's actually not the primary mode either, especially given the SC interface to it.

How I use it is I'll think of a particular song that might appeal to me at the moment and base a mix on it. I can usually choose a song without much trouble, but to come up with an album, series of albums, songs, etc. many times just seems too much like work. If the mix goes for a bit and it just isn't doing it for me, then I'll try again. Or, base a new mix off another song from the first mix that really tripped my trigger. There's nothing stopping you from playing an entire album a track is from from the mix either because the mix is nothing but a playlist put into the "now playing" playlist.

I've used random as well, but I would find myself skipping a lot. I've found musicIP mixes to be much more satisfying. One way to think of a MusicIP mix is as a psuedo random mix based on a particular starting point. You can tweak just how random it is and how far "out" it may go, but I haven't delved into that level yet.

I'll leave it to others to answer your last question. I don't know anything beyond what they say on their website regarding analyzing/verifying. It all has to do with looking up fingerprints from a central database based on previous analysis and performing full analysis on tracks that are not present in the central database.

mswlogo
2008-05-31, 20:36
Ok, thanks for the explaination it sounds like it's worth a try.

ModelCitizen
2008-05-31, 21:40
I'm tempted to give MusicIP a go, but have been put off by the potential scan time.
I oginally first tried it in 2006 but didn't complete due to the far too lengthy scan time. After these posts I've decided to try again. But for me at least the scan times do not seem to have improved. At current progress I am looking at something over 10 days for the app to analyse my whole library (24k songs, many a bit obscure, XP Pro, Intel Core 2CPU 1.66ghz, 2gb RAM)... this with MusicIP set to "normal" priority and allowed to use all my processor.

:-(

Also Siduhe's comments about the possibility that the addition of the MusicIP tags could corrupt my files has made me a bit wary. The MIP forums only seems to acknowledge that there is a problem with corruption of AAC files (I run 99% flac, with the rest MP3).

I'm going to persevere this time as it does look as though the MusicIP app might suit me very well... especially now access via the Controller has been added to 7.1 (this is the feature that will persuade me to give 7.1 another try).

MC

mherger
2008-05-31, 22:23
> Is it possible to have MusicIP service running on another machine than
> SC?

No.

--

Michael

mherger
2008-05-31, 22:24
> But if I have to "Pick a mood", that sounds as tedious (and crap shoot)
> as picking a CD.

It's not. Picking an album is picking one out of a few hundred. Picking a mood is one of a few. Plus as of 7.1 you can save moods as favorites which gives you one key access to your very own mixes.

--

Michael

Philip Meyer
2008-06-01, 00:08
>It's taking an absolute age to verify tracks (several minutes per song). Is there another version I should be using instead?
I left it going all of yesterday afternoon, and it had only done 300 or so tracks.
I left it going over night and now there's only 6200 to go! It's done 12000 tracks very quickly.

ModelCitizen
2008-06-01, 02:29
I left it going over night and now there's only 6200 to go! It's done 12000 tracks very quickly.
Mine's been running all night and yesterday evening/afternoon. It's done 2,000 tracks. Only 23,000 to go then. Rather worrying is that MIP's status bar is reporting 12.5 weeks. I'm certain it won't take quite that long though. :-)

MC

pippin
2008-06-01, 02:31
Just checked back.
MIP's been running for 40h now and has managed to do 160 tracks. Thats 15min per track, let's see if it starts to pick up some speed... on the other hand, Euro2008 is starting next week so it can take it's time...

Philip Meyer
2008-06-01, 02:37
>Mine's been running all night and yesterday evening/afternoon. It's
>done 2,000 tracks. Only 23,000 to go then. Rather worrying is that
>MIP's status bar is reporting 12.5 weeks. I'm certain it won't take
>quite that long though. :-)
>
I thought that was how long all of the music would take to play.

"15,093 songs, 170GB, 8.8 weeks."

Philip Meyer
2008-06-01, 02:38
>Euro2008 is starting next week so it can take it's time...
There's no teams worth watching this time round... ;-)

Phil

ModelCitizen
2008-06-01, 02:45
Rather worrying is that MIP's status bar is reporting 12.5 weeks. I'm certain it won't take quite that long though. :-)
I thought that was how long all of the music would take to play.
"15,093 songs, 170GB, 8.8 weeks."

Next time I'll add another smiley just for you Philip.
:-)

MC

egd
2008-06-01, 03:22
At current progress I am looking at something over 10 days for the app to analyse my whole library (24k songs, many a bit obscure, XP Pro, Intel Core 2CPU 1.66ghz, 2gb RAM)... this with MusicIP set to "normal" priority and allowed to use all my processor.

:-( Give genpuid a go and run two instances?

Also Siduhe's comments about the possibility that the addition of the MusicIP tags could corrupt my files has made me a bit wary. The MIP forums only seems to acknowledge that there is a problem with corruption of AAC files (I run 99% flac, with the rest MP3).Having archived analysis to over 90,000 tracks [FLAC only] and having subsequently tested them I don't think this is something to worry about with current versions of MiP or genpuid.

On another note, what tool/ software did you use to generate your online album listing?

ModelCitizen
2008-06-01, 04:38
Give genpuid a go and run two instances?
I think I will. MusicIP has done another 7 tracks since I last posted (almost two hours ago!). This is a bit silly.

Having archived analysis to over 90,000 tracks [FLAC only] and having subsequently tested them I don't think this is something to worry about with current versions of MiP or genpuid.
That sounds good. If no-one else reports back any problems I'll have a go at letting MusicIP tag at a few of my files and see what happens. My files are unusual in that they have lots of text in the comment tag field.

On another note, what tool/ software did you use to generate your online album listing?
Album Catalogue Creator. The output you see is the concise version. It can also create a more detailed catalgue with full track listing and artwork. It's very good indeed and is developed for SlimCenter. Read thread and see download link here:
http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=41597

MC

pippin
2008-06-01, 05:04
>Euro2008 is starting next week so it can take it's time...
There's no teams worth watching this time round... ;-)

Phil

You're right. Will be hard to get to the finals without the chance to play England in the Quarter- or Semifinals ;-)
And I've only got tickets for the finals if Germany plays...

ezkcdude
2008-06-01, 05:17
I used to love MusicIP when it was able to work nicely with SlimServer. Somewhere along the line, a couple of years ago, it just became a mess to use. Now, I just create mixes directly in MusicIP and then save them to my music folder. The only thing I would really, really love is for the Controller to have some built-in MusicIP capability. That would be sweet!

pippin
2008-06-01, 05:25
I used to love MusicIP when it was able to work nicely with SlimServer. Somewhere along the line, a couple of years ago, it just became a mess to use. Now, I just create mixes directly in MusicIP and then save them to my music folder. The only thing I would really, really love is for the Controller to have some built-in MusicIP capability. That would be sweet!

I thought it does with the current builds of 7.1?

egd
2008-06-01, 06:06
If no-one else reports back any problems I'll have a go at letting MusicIP tag at a few of my files and see what happens. My files are unusual in that they have lots of text in the comment tag field.I have a Review tag that is usually pretty lengthy.

mherger
2008-06-01, 06:33
> to my music folder. The only thing I would really, really love is for
> the Controller to have some built-in MusicIP capability. That would be
> sweet!

It's there in 7.1

--

Michael

Philip Meyer
2008-06-01, 07:32
>I left it going all of yesterday afternoon, and it had only done 300 or so tracks.
>I left it going over night and now there's only 6200 to go! It's done 12000 tracks very quickly.

I got down to a couple of thousand tracks to go and decided to start trying out some mixes. Whilst playing, I tried to export TrackStat information into MusicIP. I think it didn't work before because the MusicIP UI didn't pick up the changes made through the API (I'm running the headless server).

So I shut down the UI and did the TrackStat export. When it had completed, I reopened MusicIP and discovered it had lost all track verifications :(

Grrr. Starting again...

I guess I've not set something up correctly. Should I be doing the analysis via the MusicUI WebUI, and not the application?

Phil

ezkcdude
2008-06-01, 08:19
I thought it does with the current builds of 7.1?

I don't have 7.1, but I'm downloading it now. Thanks.

Edit: I installed 7.1. So, how does one go about using MusicIP with the Controller? I don't see it. Also, for the last couple of years, MM simply hasn't kept in sync between SlimServer/SqueezeCenter. At one point, most of my library had a little "m" next to each song or album. But pretty much everything I have added to the library in the last couple of years never seems to get the "m", even though I've analyzed/validated every song with the MusicIP program. I guess the bottom line is it's still not working that well.

Brian Ritchie
2008-06-01, 10:27
Seeing the Controller support for MIP in 7.1 got me interested in this again.

I discovered that the MIP service is still running (WinXP Services; I *thought* I'd disabled it...); I enabled the MusicIP plugin in SC, then stopped and restarted SC as it asked. Then I had to go into the MusicIP plugin settings and tell SC to start using MIP. I hoped I wouldn't have to stop and restart yet again, but I think not.

Unfortunately, I'm in pretty much the same state as last time I tried MIP: I *can* make mixes from playlists in SC (from the Classic webface or from the IR remote, but not from the Controller), but that's it. When I follow Ben's instructions for the Controller for songs - select a song, press-and-hold Play - I get a brief message telling me it's not mixable. (Yet the same song shows as mixable from MIP's GUI, which I'm running right now to find and validate several thousand "new" tracks.) Press-and-hold Play on anything other than a song appears to do nothing.

Clearly, MIP and SC are working together, as I can create at least some mixes; but I really want to be able to generate mixes from single songs.

Has anybody else hit this, or recognise the problem? Can anyone suggest a solution?

Is there more to configuring SC + MIP than simply enabling the plugin and then ticking "Use MusicIP" in the plugin's settings? (Last time, I tried changing SlimServer so it *only* got its song info from MusicIP; that didn't improve the situation, and lost all the album artwork...)

I was going to download a new version of the free mixer, but couldn't find it on the MusicIP site; but when I did "check for new versions" from the MIP GUI, I got told there were none available. It's at 1.8.1b (Oct 2007).

-- Brian

egd
2008-06-01, 14:51
Grrr. Starting again...

I guess I've not set something up correctly. Should I be doing the analysis via the MusicUI WebUI, and not the application? I know nothing of Trackstat integration to MiP or even whether it can be done, but I would recommend doing your analysis from either the MiP GUI (Windows version, the Linux version sucks and is unstable) or from genpuid (Windows or Linux versions). Genpuid can create the.m3lib database and/or archive the analysis to tag, and it can be left alone running in a DOS window(s) on Windows or a terminal window(s) in Linux. The real beauty is you can invoke multiple instances pointing each at a different part of your library e.g. one instance can work its way though 0-E and a 2nd can work its way through F-G etc. If you've not set it to archive tags during the analysis process you can load the relevant .m3lib file in MiP Windows by double-clicking on it, verifying for yourself the analysis is complete, highlighting all files, right-clicking and selecting "Archive analysis".

MiP can be a real pain in the proverbial ass to work with, especially as analysis databases are not transportable across different network and/or physical file paths unless you've set up a "Device" in MiP. Even then, it remains a pain in the ass to work with unless you take some steps to simplify it. Through lots of experimenting and questioning of the developers I've come to the following means of using it, which has consistently reproducible results.
- do the analysis as mentioned above and archive the analysis to tag
- Download (http://www.spicefly.com/images/slim/index.zip) Spicefly's replacement headless HTML UI (http://spicefly.com/content/view/33/32/) - it exposes additional functionality and is simple to use.
- build a MiP database for SC integration via the headless API once your analysis is complete and archived.
- configure SC to use MiP and remove any references in SC's setup to the library path - SC will take its queue from MiP's database and it will traverse the paths in the MiP DB and find your artwork.
- before having SC run the MiP integration scan, it pays to flush the MiP cache like so: http://192.168.168.100:10002/api/flush

ModelCitizen
2008-06-02, 00:25
What a palaver! I've left MusicIP to analyse files overnight for a second time, after running most of yesterday and the afternoon before. Out of my library of a reported 23,539 songs it still has 20,655 tracks left to validate.

I eventually figured out where to get genpuid from and how to get it (they don't make it easy), but at a cursory glance it seems like a dense command line app which is going to take up even more of my time to get my head round (and after the cursory glance I am still not even sure what it is it's supposed to do!).

Couple this with Phil's experience where he lost all his validation information once he restarted MusicIP (a not uncommon experience it seems) and I am on the verge of giving up again. Maybe I'll revisit it in another two years to see if it has got any friendlier.

MC

egd
2008-06-02, 01:53
What a palaver! I've left MusicIP to analyse files overnight for a second time, after running most of yesterday and the afternoon before. Out of my library of a reported 23,539 songs it still has 20,655 tracks left to validate. Internet access enabled thoroughout this time and MiP not being blocked by a fw?

I eventually figured out where to get genpuid from and how to get it (they don't make it easy), but at a cursory glance it seems like a dense command line app which is going to take up even more of my time to get my head round (and after the cursory glance I am still not even sure what it is it's supposed to do!).It does the same analysis as the MiP GUI, only it seems faster, and you can run more than a single instance at the same time. If you've opened a DOS window/ terminal window in a folder containing an album you can try it by typing the following (substituting your DNS-key below) NOTE THE "." IN THE COMMAND LINE:
genpuid [dnskey] -r -logex -m3lib=cache.m3lib -archive .

Couple this with Phil's experience where he lost all his validation information once he restarted MusicIP (a not uncommon experience it seems) and I am on the verge of giving up again. Maybe I'll revisit it in another two years to see if it has got any friendlier.Precisely why I archive analysis to tags. Headless doesn't corrupt the db btw. The approach I've outlined a few posts prior works around MiP's tendency to corrupt the analysis database.

Philip Meyer
2008-06-02, 02:27
>Couple this with Phil's experience where he lost all his validation
>information once he restarted MusicIP (a not uncommon experience it
>seems) and I am on the verge of giving up again. Maybe I'll revisit it
>in another two years to see if it has got any friendlier.
>
There is a lack of documentation.

My problem was my fault, because I was running SqueezeCenter that used the headless API and the MusicIP GUI at the same time, and didn't appreciate that although they were set up to point at the same cache file, they hold it in memory and therefore one can overwrite the other. It's best to do one thing at a time (and Save Library or close the MusicIP GUI when complete).

The good thing is that the second attempt to analyse/verify all tracks went through a lot quicker, and completed this morning. I selected "Save Library" in the hope that this means the cache is saved and won't be overwritten by the headless server.

Curiously, MusicIP seems to have differing ideas over what is unanalysable. I'm sure the other day I had over 80 unanalysable tracks. After I lost the cache and restarted, it reported 45 unanalysable. I have just selected those 45 tracks (added the Status column and sorted by it), and selected "Reset Status" from the context menu (doesn't appear on the menu). It managed to analyse some more; I only have 24 that couldn't be analysed.

I couldn't find any info to explain what type of analysis is performed, but looking at the ones that failed, it would appear to be mainly song length. I have some really silly short tracks (most tracks under 12 seconds aren't analysed), and really long tracks (generally gapless rips of CDs that are indexed by cue sheet - I guess it doesn't support cue sheets).

Most of the long full album rip tracks did analyse second time round, just leaving short tracks (the first 12 songs on 13 Blues for Thirteen Moons by A Silver Mt. Zion are single notes of around 6 seconds each - 8 of those weren't analysed).

Phil

ModelCitizen
2008-06-02, 03:57
Internet access enabled thoroughout this time and MiP not being blocked by a fw?
I don't run a firewall as such, just NAT on my router. In desperation I've just port forwarded 10002 to my MusicIP machine but analysis does not seem to have speeded up any. BTW. all music drives are local to the PC holding SlimServer and MusicIP.

Thanks for your help with genpuid. I'll give it a go tonight but don't hold out much hope that that it will improve things sufficiently (even four times as fast will still be incredibly slow).

If the analysis ever ends I will write the info to my files' tags.

Phil. All my files marked Unanalyzable are les than 9 seconds long apart from two long mp3 radio mixes which are marked as "Unanalyzable (insufficient resources)".

MusicIP now only has 20,631 tracks left to analyse.
The last track itself took over 15 minutes to analyse.
:-(

I think a visit to the MusicIP forums might be in order.

MC

egd
2008-06-02, 04:10
I don't run a firewall as such, just NAT on my router. In desperation I've just port forwarded 10002 to my MusicIP machine but analysis does not seem to have speeded up any. BTW. all music drives are local to the PC holding SlimServer and MusicIP.If I recall correctly MiP for Windows has an option somewhere in preferences to test the server connection. Check if that is working, if not, MiP's not able to talk to its servers and is being reduced to doing exhaustive analysis locally.

If net access is not the problem and you're not running on a PII or something then Whicken over at the MiP forum may well be you best best.

Siduhe
2008-06-02, 04:19
One possibility is that there is a rash of Squeezebox users trying to validate large libraries and the MIP servers can't keep up I guess?

On unanalysable tracks, I recall they have to be longer than 135 seconds in order to be analysed but that analysis is disabled by default on tracks over 15 or 20 minutes. Or at least that was the position when I started analysing my library - not sure if it has changed since.

egd
2008-06-02, 05:44
One possibility is that there is a rash of Squeezebox users trying to validate large libraries and the MIP servers can't keep up I guess?Doubt it's that but I have noticed that analysis seemingly takes longer over the last few weeks - either that or I've become impatient.

Robin Bowes
2008-06-02, 05:51
ModelCitizen wrote:

> Thanks for your help with genpuid. I'll give it a go tonight but don't
> hold out much hope that that it will improve things sufficiently (even
> four times as fast will still be incredibly slow).

I used the MusicMagicMixer gui app on linux to analyse my files.

It took a long time to complete - several days for 35,650 tracks.

> If the analysis ever ends I will write the info to my files' tags.

How do I write the analysis info to the file tags?

> MusicIP now only has 20,631 tracks left to analyse.
> The last track itself took over 15 minutes to analyse.
> :-(

If MIP doesn't recognise the track it has to scan it completely to
analyse it. If it recognises it, it can process the file in seconds.

Perhaps you just have a lot of obscure, unknown, long tracks?

R.

bobkoure
2008-06-02, 06:31
FWIW, validating my music library took a week - but this on a server running a VIA C7 processor, and the analysis done in "idle" priority (~40K tracks).
The server's also used for SMTP/POP3/IMAP and WAMP, so it's on 24x7. Validating at idle priority impacted, well, nothing.
SC/MusicIP integration worked fine, even before analysis got done.
As a suggestion - go to SC settings/advanced/musicIP and change "musicip reload interval" to zero - or else SC in just going to be continually rescanning. I just set rescan to happen every night.

I haven't tried moods, and just basically use the default "smooth" mix - and I love it. Given Sidhue's comments, I'm going to try moods, though...

FWIW, it seems as though the only reason to "archive analysis" is so you can move tracks around without re-validating. AFAICT the actual analysis data goes into your musicip database. The archiving just adds a "fingerprint" tag. The tagnames differ between flac and mp3. If you want to see the tags in MP3Tag, add a column, whatever name you like, and %MusicMagic Fingerprint%%fingerprint% - %MusicMagic Data%%analysis% as contents.

Oh - everything I've needed to work with SC has been in the free version of MusicIP. I'll buy a license, but just to encourage development on the product. The GUI is essentially useless to me, but that's because my server is a headless Win2K Server, the GUI wants to run locally, and Win2K's terminal services manager only supports 256 colors. So I use the GUI to archive analysis, and, occasionally, as an easy way to check album date tags, but that's about it...

ModelCitizen
2008-06-02, 08:19
This from Wicken at MusicIP:

"The validation process always starts with the most obscure songs, as the others typically become mixable very fast with name lookups. Typically once the "obscure" chunk is done, the rest finishes much faster than the initial bit. We have done some work on the underlying code to improve this performance in 1.9, but we're still possibly having some issues with the updated server protocol (I haven't confirmed these myself yet, but we do have some reports from beta testers along these lines)."

As a result of this information I shall persevere.

MC

pippin
2008-06-02, 08:31
Then let's see when I run out of "obscure songs". So far, validation rate is pretty constant at 12-15 minutes per track over three days now...

erland
2008-06-02, 10:55
The next thing for me will be to see if MusicIP is integrated into Erlands plugins (DynamicPlaylist, CustomScan, CustomBrowse, TrackStat). I'd like to be able to get new songs added to the end of the mix as old songs move off the top of the list.

It's not very well integrated today in my plugins, but I've thought about it earlier. The only support currently implemented is that TrackStat can set/get ratings, play counts and last played time to/from MusicIP.

I suppose you are thinking of Dynamic Playlist ? Which track/artist/album would you like it to use as seed when adding additional tracks ?
I don't think I can use the same track as the initial mix because it will probably result in almost the same tracks as you've already listen on.

Philip Meyer
2008-06-02, 11:40
>The only support currently implemented is that
>TrackStat can set/get ratings, play counts and last played time to/from
>MusicIP.
>
Yes, I've managed to get that to work now. I exported trackstat info into MusicIP as another backup mechanism for my ratings. I'm wondering if MusicIP takes the ratings into account when selecting a mix?

>I suppose you are thinking of Dynamic Playlist ? Which
>track/artist/album would you like it to use as seed when adding
>additional tracks ?
>I don't think I can use the same track as the initial mix because it
>will probably result in almost the same tracks as you've already listen
>on.
I was thinking that it would use the last few tracks as a seed. When it gets the mix tracks back, it could add the first song from that mix that isn't already in the last <n> tracks within the current playlist.

Phil

technojunkie
2008-06-02, 14:25
I have intalled MusicIp today and so far it has validated 2500 songs out of 7500 in 5 hours which, from reading previous posts, I am very happy about.

I have activated AIP in services and selected use MusicIP in SqueezeCenter (7.01) server settings but I cannot see any reference to MusicIp in the SqueezeCenter interface on my PC.

Does anyone please have any ideas ? Thankyou

egd
2008-06-02, 14:32
I have activated AIP in services and selected use MusicIP in SqueezeCenter (7.01) server settings but I cannot see any reference to MusicIp in the SqueezeCenter interface on my PC.

Does anyone please have any ideas ? ThankyouIt's under Plugins

bklaas
2008-06-02, 14:33
Unfortunately, I'm in pretty much the same state as last time I tried MIP: I *can* make mixes from playlists in SC (from the Classic webface or from the IR remote, but not from the Controller), but that's it. When I follow Ben's instructions for the Controller for songs - select a song, press-and-hold Play - I get a brief message telling me it's not mixable.

Clearly, MIP and SC are working together, as I can create at least some mixes; but I really want to be able to generate mixes from single songs.

Has anybody else hit this, or recognise the problem? Can anyone suggest a solution?

I don't know if this is going to be your solution, but I'd recommend either a) having MIP reanalyze your library, b) wipe and rescan in SC, or c) both.

I have a hunch the answer might be b), but I'm just guessing...

#!/ben

egd
2008-06-02, 14:39
How do I write the analysis info to the file tags?Select all tracks you want to affect, right click and select Archive Analysis. On the Linux GUI you may have to go through a menu to do it, I've not used it in a very long time.

You could also unleash genpuid on the tracks, pointing it to the relevant .m3lib file (back it up first). I've done this on a few occasions and genpuid does a quick check then uses the info in the m3lib file to do the archiving. One caveat - I've only ever tried this with the .m3lib file located in the parent directory of the underlying audio files eg if running it on my 0-E tree, the .m3lib had previously been generated in that folder and I would run genpuid from that folder using the syntax I posted a few posts earlier.

egd
2008-06-02, 14:53
FWIW, it seems as though the only reason to "archive analysis" is so you can move tracks around without re-validating. AFAICT the actual analysis data goes into your musicip database.I archived analysis after tiring of the MiP database being corrupted by MiP itself. Not sure how stable the front-end is these days, but it regularly and habitually used to trash the database if you have a large library. After two or three crashes and the ensuing reanalysis I resorted to archiving the analysis to tags. I can now rebuild the .m3lib database on any machine in a matter of minutes, irrespective of the path to the files - basically as long as it takes MiP headless to read the tags in my library. The tags must contain everything MiP needs because my NAS is not Internet facing and every track comes back mixable if I do a library rebuild (which is required every time I add new music I want MiP to include in its mixing engine).

ezkcdude
2008-06-02, 14:55
I don't know if this is going to be your solution, but I'd recommend either a) having MIP reanalyze your library, b) wipe and rescan in SC, or c) both.

#!/ben

That's what I'm doing. I deleted (well, renamed) my old MIP database, and had it start from scratch. I'm hoping that will have some effect.

Robin Bowes
2008-06-02, 15:03
egd wrote:
> Robin Bowes;307685 Wrote:
>> How do I write the analysis info to the file tags?
>> [color=blue]Select all tracks you want to affect, right click and select Archive
> Analysis. On the Linux GUI you may have to go through a menu to do it,
> I've not used it in a very long time.

Got it. That seems to be working OK. Gonna take a while to do 35,650 tracks!

Thanks,

R.

Robin Bowes
2008-06-02, 15:08
egd wrote:
> bobkoure;307688 Wrote:
>> FWIW, it seems as though the only reason to "archive analysis" is so you
>> can move tracks around without re-validating. AFAICT the actual analysis
>> data goes into your musicip database.I archived analysis after tiring of the MiP database being corrupted by
> MiP itself. Not sure how stable the front-end is these days, but it
> regularly and habitually used to trash the database if you have a large
> library. After two or three crashes and the ensuing reanalysis I
> resorted to archiving the analysis to tags. I can now rebuild the
> .m3lib database on any machine in a matter of minutes, irrespective of
> the path to the files - basically as long as it takes MiP headless to
> read the tags in my library.

Let me get this clear...

I've run MusicMagicMixer on my current 35,650 tracks.

I've then selected all tracks, right-clicked, and chosen "Archive Analysis".

What do I do next? Presumably, I'll need to get set something up on my
SC server (linux)? How does that interact with SC? What happens when I
add new tracks to my library? Do I have to explicitly select them for
analysis, or will MusicMagicMixer detect new tracks in the library?

R.

technojunkie
2008-06-02, 15:19

#!/ben

Thankyou for the post Ben.

I've done a wipe and rescan on SqueezCenter but I'm still not seeing any reference to MusicIP in the SqueezCenter interface on my PC. Maybe it's there but I just can't see it ! What exactly should I be looking for ?

Thanks again.

ezkcdude
2008-06-02, 19:18
I'm really envious of people who get this to work. I'm curious, however, whether the success stories are limited to people who have only a few thousand songs. Does anyone have MusicIP working with SqueezeCenter perfectly and have over 10,000 songs? Because I swear, I'm just caught in this endless loop of rescanning/restarting both MusicIP and SC, and nothing seems to really work. Argh.

llin
2008-06-02, 22:39
Does anyone have MusicIP working with SqueezeCenter perfectly and have over 10,000 songs?

Yes, although both are running on Linux instead of Windows.

Siduhe
2008-06-02, 22:58
Yes, although only just over 10,000 - on Windows, running MIP headless.

Philip Meyer
2008-06-03, 00:11
>I'm really envious of people who get this to work. I'm curious, however,
>whether the success stories are limited to people who have only a few
>thousand songs. Does anyone have MusicIP working with SqueezeCenter
>perfectly and have over 10,000 songs? Because I swear, I'm just caught
>in this endless loop of rescanning/restarting both MusicIP and SC, and
>nothing seems to really work. Argh.

Yes, working fine. Windows, over 10,000 songs.

You can turn off the auto rescanning in the MusicIP plugin settings: set MusicIP Reload Interval to 0.

technojunkie
2008-06-03, 00:48
Thankyou for the post Ben.

I've done a wipe and rescan on SqueezCenter but I'm still not seeing any reference to MusicIP in the SqueezCenter interface on my PC. Maybe it's there but I just can't see it ! What exactly should I be looking for ?

Thanks again.

MusicIP has now validated all 7500 songs in my music library, I have ticked the Use MusicIP in SqueezeCenter plugins and I have mad a full rescan with SqueezeCenter. However, I can still see no reference to MusicIp in the main SqueezeCenter user interface.

Can someone please advise what I should be looking for and how MusicIP intergrates with SquezeCenter. Thankyou.

egd
2008-06-03, 03:08
Let me get this clear...

I've run MusicMagicMixer on my current 35,650 tracks.

I've then selected all tracks, right-clicked, and chosen "Archive Analysis".

What do I do next? Presumably, I'll need to get set something up on my
SC server (linux)? How does that interact with SC?

Refer to post #59 in this thread as a precursor/ in conjunction with the stuff below...

You now need to install MiP headless on the same machine you're running SC on. You also need to configure your Linux box so that MiP headless (MusicMagicServer) fires up before SC otherwise SC integration won't work. IIRC there's a wiki entry on how that's done but I suspect you're perfectly at home configuring Linux startup (I'm not). I've not run headless on a regular Linux box, only on my Thecus NAS.

Once you've done that, you need to build a MiP analysis database and configure SC to use MiP. To build the MiP database, access MiP's HTTP API (http://192.168.168.100:10002/), enter the path to your music library in the text field next to the 'Add Music' button, then click the button to have MiP traverse your library and create the analysis database.

Configuring SC to use MiP is done by enabling MiP in the Plugins tab and then selecting "Use MusicIP" under MiP settings. Under basic settings, remove the path entry for Music Folder (SC will get its info from the MiP database).

Finally, do a clear and rescan from within SC. When it's done your albums and tracks should have an m indicator next to them, selecting the m will generate a mix based on the album/ track. On the IR remote, press and hold play to generate a playlist based on the current album/track and press play again to start the playlist. On the Controller you can do the same but you'll need SC >= 7.1. Sidhue can explain the added nuances of mixes, recipes etc. under headless, I'm still trying to figure all that out, but you don't need that to start enjoying mixes.

What happens when I add new tracks to my library? Do I have to explicitly select them for analysis, or will MusicMagicMixer detect new tracks in the library? You will need to explicitly add and analyze them, and SC can be set to autodetect changes in the MiP database.

Getting MiP headless to recognise newly added tracks can only be done by way of repeating the steps set out above re building the MiP database. Analyzing the tracks can be done independently via MiP GUI, genpuid or via MiP headless (MiP's HTTP API (http://192.168.168.100:10002/))

Hope that's clarified rather than confused...

egd
2008-06-03, 03:12
MusicIP has now validated all 7500 songs in my music library, I have ticked the Use MusicIP in SqueezeCenter plugins and I have mad a full rescan with SqueezeCenter. However, I can still see no reference to MusicIp in the main SqueezeCenter user interface.

Can someone please advise what I should be looking for and how MusicIP intergrates with SquezeCenter. Thankyou.

Refer post#87 in this thread.

egd
2008-06-03, 03:17
I'm really envious of people who get this to work. I'm curious, however, whether the success stories are limited to people who have only a few thousand songs. Does anyone have MusicIP working with SqueezeCenter perfectly and have over 10,000 songs? Because I swear, I'm just caught in this endless loop of rescanning/restarting both MusicIP and SC, and nothing seems to really work. Argh.

ezkcdude, have a look at posts #59 & #87, where I've tried to set it out. If Sc is constantly rescanning it's probably because it is detecting MiP database changes whilst MiP is still building the database. In Plugins/MusicIP settings, disable MusicIP Reload by setting MusicIP Reload Interval to 0, then have MiP headless build the analysis database, then remember to manually invoke a clear and rescan within SC.

FWIW, I'm running MiP headless integrated with SC on a Linux based NAS (Thecus N5200PRO) with over 90k tracks analyzed and mixable (and in case anyone is wondering, mixes are almost instantaneous). Can't see why it would be any different on a windows box.

Robin Bowes
2008-06-03, 03:26
egd wrote:
> Hope that's clariefied rather than confused...

That's very clear, thanks - something else for the todo list...!

Thanks again,

R.

technojunkie
2008-06-03, 03:48
Refer post#87 in this thread.

Thankyou for the information egd.

I have made all the changes advised in post #87 to SC including clearing the current Music Folder entry and leaving in blank. However, now when I ask SC to rescan nothing happens as there is no database entry in the Music Folder box to scan !

Can you also please advise whereabouts is the setting in SC to auto detect changes in the MusicIp database (when SC has found it) ?

Your further advice would be much appreciated. Thankyou.

egd
2008-06-03, 04:10
Refer attached screenshots

ezkcdude
2008-06-03, 04:15
Yeah, I don't get it. First, the headless GUI webpage doesn't have the correct number of songs. Second, how do you rescan when there is no entry in the Music Folder? Egd, you're a better than me. It's just not worth my time anymore. As always, I'll revisit this in a year or so.

technojunkie
2008-06-03, 04:39
Thankyou for the screenshots egd.

I am running SC on the same PC as MusicIp but cannot find MusicMagicServer !

I have managed to get SC to scan the MusicIp database but the letter m is not displayed next to albums or tracks. The music folder box in SC settings is blank so it must have loaded the MusicIp database !

ezkcdude
2008-06-03, 04:52
Holy crap! It works! Thanks egd! So, I can now finally see the "M" on all my artists/albums in the SC GUI. Let me go see if the controller lets me makes mixes...

Edit: Over on the controller, I'm getting something strange...When I browse by artist, the albums under each artist are completely random. For example, if I go to My Morning Jacket, it gives me albums by AC/DC. Same thing with artists. The albums under artist don't correspond. Has anyone else run into this behavior? I'm not sure what to do. On the plus side, when I hold down the "+" button, it's creating MM mixes (I think).

tamanaco
2008-06-03, 05:00
I've been using MusicIP for a while now and enjoy its mixes quite a bit. But... I find that having to use three interfaces to manage the MusicIP functions is bit taxing. If somoene could enhance the existing MusicIP plugin or develop a new plugin with a settings page that incorporates the exising MusicIP plugin settings page with the settings and funtions that exists in the headless server interface page it would make MusicIP Rock a bit more for me. Am I way out of left field here?

technojunkie
2008-06-03, 05:01
Your lucky ezkcdude.

I still have no "M" on my artists/albumin the SC GUI !

ezkcdude
2008-06-03, 05:14
Your lucky ezkcdude.

I still have no "M" on my artists/albumin the SC GUI !

Now, I just have to figure out the issues with the controller. Also, I can't seem to make mixes unless the MIP GUI is running. I'd like to run the headless server, but it doesn't seem to work for me. Anyway, that's a minor gripe at this point.

Edit #2: Ok, now the controller is working perfectly. Under each song there is now a menu item allowing me to create a MusicIP mix. Man, I've wanted this for so long now...Thanks, everyone!

ezkcdude
2008-06-03, 05:32
Now I think I'm beginning to understand how I always get screwed up here. When I leave the Music Folder entry blank, a scan will import the MIP database. However, if I actually fill the Music Folder entry with the path for my music, scanning seems to get rid of the MusicIP information and "M". Interesting. So, I guess each time I add music, I should scan once for the new music and then again for the MusicIP.

technojunkie
2008-06-03, 05:38
The SC music scan details state MusicIP Import so SC has obviously imported the MusicIP database. So why do I still not have a letter "M" next to albums/artists ?

If I make any changes to my music library like moving a folder or deleting a file, do I have to ask MusicIp to re-analyse and validate the whole music library again ?

Thankyou

egd
2008-06-03, 06:00
I am running SC on the same PC as MusicIp but cannot find MusicMagicServer ! It should be at http://localhost:10002
If it doesn't load in your browser it's not running (unless of course you're running it on a different host (ip address) or port?

I have managed to get SC to scan the MusicIp database but the letter m is not displayed next to albums or tracks. The music folder box in SC settings is blank so it must have loaded the MusicIp database !if MiP headless isn't running there's no way SC is going to be able to scan its library - SC integration only works if MiP headless is loaded prior to SC.

What OS are you using, if it's Windows try Spicefly's tips for correctly configuring MiP and SC startup order (http://spicefly.com/content/category/5/16/32/).

egd
2008-06-03, 06:10
Now I think I'm beginning to understand how I always get screwed up here. When I leave the Music Folder entry blank, a scan will import the MIP database. However, if I actually fill the Music Folder entry with the path for my music, scanning seems to get rid of the MusicIP information and "M". Interesting. So, I guess each time I add music, I should scan once for the new music and then again for the MusicIP. Not quite...

You should leave the SC Music Folder path to your library blank at all times (if you're wanting to use SC integration).

Adding new music is done as follows (see last part of post #87):
Rip CD, tag new files etc.
Analyze new files using MiP GUI, genpuid or via MiP headless (assuming the machine running MiP headless is Internet facing) and archive analysis to tags
Rebuild MiP database via MiP headless HTTP API by inserting path to library and clicking on Add Music button (don't worry, this is pretty quick)
Run a "Look for new and changed music" scan, or if SC is set to autodetect changes in the MiP database and you don't mind waiting, wait for the changes to be autodetected.

technojunkie
2008-06-03, 06:18
Thanks again for the post egd.

I can access http:\\localhost:10002 but all I see is AIP and pressing this just brings up a couple of boxes on a white background but nothing like the GUI shown in your previous post.

I am running SC and MusicIP on the same machine so do I need to be running MIP headless as well ?

Slimserver starts-up automatically on my PC when it is started but the MusicMagicServer only starts when I open the MusicIp program, go into preferences/services and press start. Where is the setting to ask it to start with the PC ?

Thanks again for your time and patience.

egd
2008-06-03, 06:23
Now, I just have to figure out the issues with the controller.Support for MiP integration with the Controller is only available in >= SC7.1.x

Also, I can't seem to make mixes unless the MIP GUI is running. I'd like to run the headless server, but it doesn't seem to work for me. Anyway, that's a minor gripe at this point.Linux or Windows? If Windows, check link in post #101 of this thread. If Linux, you need to configure MiP headless to start before SC (best google for an answer as I've no idea how to autostart progs in Linux, albeit google will provide the answer in a jiffy)

Edit #2: Ok, now the controller is working perfectly. Under each song there is now a menu item allowing me to create a MusicIP mix. Man, I've wanted this for so long now...Thanks, everyone! Glad you've gotten it going. I'm still on 7.0 on my NAS so for me Controller integration will have to wait.

egd
2008-06-03, 06:27
Thanks again for the post egd.

I can access http:\\localhost:10002 but all I see is AIP and pressing this just brings up a couple of boxes on a white background but nothing like the GUI shown in your previous post.

I am running SC and MusicIP on the same machine so do I need to be running MIP headless as well ?

Slimserver starts-up automatically on my PC when it is started but the MusicMagicServer only starts when I open the MusicIp program, go into preferences/services and press start. Where is the setting to ask it to start with the PC ?

Thanks again for your time and patience.

Refer to the link I posted for you in post #101 - you will find the replacement of the MiP HTTP API UI I screendumped as well as clear instructions on how to start MiP headless prior to SC - an essential requirement for the integration to work. MiP GUI is not needed at all for MiP/ SC integration.

Patrick Dixon
2008-06-03, 06:47
OK I can't even get it to start!

On Ubuntu I've downloaded the tarball, un-tarred under /usr/share and copied the mmm.ini file to $home/MusicMagic/mmm.ini

but when I try to start MusicMagicServer I get:

$ -bash: ./MusicMagicServer: No such file or directory

$ ls -ls ./MusicMagicServer
3028 -rwxrwxr-x 1 500 500 3093420 2007-07-20 19:55 ./MusicMagicServer

so what am I doing wrong?

mherger
2008-06-03, 06:49
> Now I think I'm beginning to understand how I always get screwed up
> here. When I leave the Music Folder entry blank, a scan will import the
> MIP database. However, if I actually fill the Music Folder entry with
> the path for my music, scanning seems to get rid of the MusicIP
> information and "M". Interesting. So, I guess each time I add music, I
> should scan once for the new music and then again for the MusicIP.

This field isn't a setting as the music folder in SC, but it's an input field to add music. As soon as you enter anything in there, it will rescan your collection. Which very likely will trigger a rescan in SC, which can lead to disappearing M icons. (the second part is only a guess).

--

Michael

egd
2008-06-03, 06:59
OK I can't even get it to start!

On Ubuntu I've downloaded the tarball, un-tarred under /usr/share and copied the mmm.ini file to $home/MusicMagic/mmm.ini

but when I try to start MusicMagicServer I get:

$ -bash: ./MusicMagicServer: No such file or directory

$ ls -ls ./MusicMagicServer
3028 -rwxrwxr-x 1 500 500 3093420 2007-07-20 19:55 ./MusicMagicServer

so what am I doing wrong?

Unpacking the archive on my desktop (right click, extract here) results in a folder structure MusicIP/MusicMagicMixer, so I'm guessing that you need to start it as follows: /usr/share//MusicIP/MusicMagicMixer/MusicMagicMixer

Feel free to move all the files and subdirs to /usr/share/MusicIP.

Patrick Dixon
2008-06-03, 07:04
Sure - that's what I'm doing (this is a headless server btw)

$ /usr/share/MusicIP/MusicMagicMixer/MusicMagicMixer start
-bash: /usr/share/MusicIP/MusicMagicMixer/MusicMagicMixer: No such file or directory

(I think I remember why I gave up on MusicMagic last time ...)

egd
2008-06-03, 07:08
Sure - that's what I'm doing (this is a headless server btw)

$ /usr/share/MusicIP/MusicMagicMixer/MusicMagicMixer start
-bash: /usr/share/MusicIP/MusicMagicMixer/MusicMagicMixer: No such file or directory

(I think I remember why I gave up on MusicMagic last time ...)

My mistake (cut and paste ...). Try /usr/share/MusicIP/MusicMagicMixer/MusicMagicServer start

egd@egd-desktop:~/Desktop/MusicIP/MusicMagicMixer$ ./MusicMagicServer start
Starting server on port 10002

Patrick Dixon
2008-06-03, 07:15
Yes - my mistake too

Same result though

$ /usr/share/MusicIP/MusicMagicMixer/MusicMagicServer start
-bash: /usr/share/MusicIP/MusicMagicMixer/MusicMagicServer: No such file or directory

I haven't edited the mmm.ini file (it didn't look like I needed to), and I haven't paid any $20 - although there seems to be very conflicting information in the various wikis as to what requires $20 and what doesn't, paying $20 at this stage is a deal breaker for me, particularly after trying MM a while back.

egd
2008-06-03, 07:23
Yes - my mistake too

Same result though

$ /usr/share/MusicIP/MusicMagicMixer/MusicMagicServer start
-bash: /usr/share/MusicIP/MusicMagicMixer/MusicMagicServer: No such file or directory

and ls -la /usr/share/MusicIP/MusicMagicMixer/M* returns:
egd@egd-desktop:~/Desktop$ ls -la MusicIP/MusicMagicMixer/M*
-rwxrwxr-x 1 egd egd 56948 2007-07-21 04:55 MusicIP/MusicMagicMixer/MusicMagicMixer
-rwxrwxr-x 1 egd egd 3093420 2007-07-21 04:55 MusicIP/MusicMagicMixer/MusicMagicServer
? if so, I'm stumped. :(

I haven't edited the mmm.ini file (it didn't look like I needed to)There's a sample mmm.ini at http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=46960

I haven't paid any $20 - although there seems to be very conflicting information in the various wikis as to what requires $20 and what doesn't, paying $20 at this stage is a deal breaker for me, particularly after trying MM a while back.There's no requirement to register it to use headless, I've paid the $20 (before I realised how crappy the Linux GUI version is) and haven't even bothered to enter my reg key in mmm.ini.

Patrick Dixon
2008-06-03, 07:34
and ls -la /usr/share/MusicIP/MusicMagicMixer/M* returns:
egd@egd-desktop:~/Desktop$ ls -la MusicIP/MusicMagicMixer/M*
-rwxrwxr-x 1 egd egd 56948 2007-07-21 04:55 MusicIP/MusicMagicMixer/MusicMagicMixer
-rwxrwxr-x 1 egd egd 3093420 2007-07-21 04:55 MusicIP/MusicMagicMixer/MusicMagicServer
? if so, I'm stumped. :(

Yes - me too :-(

There's a sample mmm.ini at http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=46960

Thanks I'll check that out.

egd
2008-06-03, 07:48
Yes - me too :-(

32bit or 64 bit?

technojunkie
2008-06-03, 08:24
Refer to the link I posted for you in post #101 - you will find the replacement of the MiP HTTP API UI I screendumped as well as clear instructions on how to start MiP headless prior to SC - an essential requirement for the integration to work. MiP GUI is not needed at all for MiP/ SC integration.

Thanks again egd.

A couple more question and I hope I should be finished. When I press the Spicefly link to the mmm.ini file another browser window opens and different lines of text are displayed. Please can you confirm that I cut and paste this text into notepad and then save the file as mmm.ini .

I have deleted and moved some folders in my music library. How can I get the MusicIP database to recognise these changes without having to analyse and validate the whole library again ?

Thankyou

Patrick Dixon
2008-06-03, 08:39
32bit or 64 bit?

ubuntu amd64

technojunkie
2008-06-03, 09:03
Everything now working apart from the controller. I now have the "M" showing in both albums and tracks in SC but nothing showing on the Duet controller. I am running SC 7.01 19705 which I understand should allow MIP integration with the controller. Can someone please advise how SC should be set-up to allow MIP integration with the controller.

Thankyou

erland
2008-06-03, 10:56
If someone has the time I would suggest that you look through the wiki pages related to MusicIP and update them with the relevant information.

At least the following pages seems relevant:
http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.php/MusicIP_Mixer

ezkcdude
2008-06-03, 12:54
Everything now working apart from the controller. I now have the "M" showing in both albums and tracks in SC but nothing showing on the Duet controller. I am running SC 7.01 19705 which I understand should allow MIP integration with the controller. Can someone please advise how SC should be set-up to allow MIP integration with the controller.

Thankyou

You need SC 7.1 - install the latest nightly build, and that should do it. Also, from my experience (all of 15 minutes this morning) you don't get an "M" on the controller. You either hold down the "+" button for a few seconds, or click on a song and scroll to the MusicIP Mix menu option. At least, this is how it worked in my situation.

technojunkie
2008-06-03, 13:05
Thanks for that ezkcdude.

I've now installed SC 7.1 - 20420, updated the Duet controller software and now everything seems to be working. I think !

I now just have to sort out the mix settings as I'm getting some very strange mixes.

egd
2008-06-03, 14:14
When I press the Spicefly link to the mmm.ini file another browser window opens and different lines of text are displayed. Please can you confirm that I cut and paste this text into notepad and then save the file as mmm.ini .Didn't know there was an mmm.ini available for download, but what you've described should work, or you could right-click and select save as...

I have deleted and moved some folders in my music library. How can I get the MusicIP database to recognise these changes without having to analyse and validate the whole library again ?re-read my posts in this thread, and you will see that the answer is that so long as you've archived analysis to tags, no further analysis is necessary and all that needs to be done is to rebuild the MiP analysis database through the MiP HTTP API.

egd
2008-06-03, 14:15
ubuntu amd64

Aah, I'n not sure whether MiP runs on u64. I know genpuid doesn't, so it's possible this is the problem with headless server also. That's a question for the MiP forum.

egd
2008-06-03, 14:18
I now just have to sort out the mix settings as I'm getting some very strange mixes.Post #112 has a link to a thread that sets out a sample mmm.ini that produces reasonable mixes (for me). Siduhe is the guru in this space, I'm not even on trainer wheels yet.

egd
2008-06-03, 14:20
If someone has the time I would suggest that you look through the wiki pages related to MusicIP and update them with the relevant information.

At least the following pages seems relevant:
http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.php/MusicIP_Mixer

Erland, I'd happily do it but I have no HTML skills and hence no idea how to format the stuff properly. Is there an easy way to create and format wiki entries?

Patrick Dixon
2008-06-03, 14:24
Aah, I'n not sure whether MiP runs on u64. I know genpuid doesn't, so it's possible this is the problem with headless server also. That's a question for the MiP forum.

I've no idea what genpuid is, but I guess MiP is just not yet ready for a 64-bit world! I guess I'll try again in a couple more years ...

Thanks for the help, egd.

egd
2008-06-03, 14:30
I've no idea what genpuid is, but I guess MiP is just not yet ready for a 64-bit world! I guess I'll try again in a couple more years ...
genpuid is a command line version of MiP's analysis engine. I've posted a query on the MiP forum. There are now enough 64 bit users out there to warrant a 64bit compile in the mix (excuse the pun).

bklaas
2008-06-03, 14:58
Erland, I'd happily do it but I have no HTML skills and hence no idea how to format the stuff properly. Is there an easy way to create and format wiki entries?

from the Wikipedia page on Wiki:
"A wiki is a collection of web pages designed to enable anyone who accesses it to contribute or modify content, using a simplified markup language"

HTML skills are not applicable to contributing wiki content. Each wiki has their own markup language, and wiki.slimdevices.com is a MediaWiki-based one (as is Wikipedia).

markup language editing help here:
http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Help:Editing

any page (or section of page) can be edited by clicking on the link "edit".
a new page is also easy to create--think of the title you want for the page, search for it in the wiki, and then follow the link for "create a page with this name"

There are huge advantages on having HOWTOs on a wiki instead of spread out over the forum (and its miserable search capability). I'd completely understand if you didn't want to spend the time to do this work...it's time consuming, and certainly more time consuming than replying on forum threads. But, lack of HTML skills is not a barrier here.

cheers,
#!/ben

egd
2008-06-03, 15:03
HTML skills are not applicable to contributing wiki content. Each wiki has their own markup language, and wiki.slimdevices.com is a MediaWiki-based one (as is Wikipedia).

markup language editing help here:
http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Help:Editing

Thanks Ben, I'll update the entries tonight when I'm back from work. Must admit I'd looked at it a few times in the past but always ended up walking away because I didn't know how to format the pages. Seems I was probably too lazy to look around a little and pick up the tips.

bklaas
2008-06-03, 15:08
Thanks Ben, I'll update the entries tonight when I'm back from work. Must admit I'd looked at it a few times in the past but always ended up walking away because I didn't know how to format the pages. Seems I was probably too lazy to look around a little and pick up the tips.

It'd be a lie to say that there's no learning curve, but it's not that steep. That link to MediaWiki editing is extremely helpful. Couple that with clicking on the edit tab for a random page on wiki.slimdevices.com to see what the markup looks like, and you're well on your way.

cheers,
#!/ben

Robin Bowes
2008-06-03, 15:11
egd wrote:
> Patrick Dixon;308151 Wrote:
>> ubuntu amd64
>
> Aah, I'n not sure whether MiP runs on u64. I know genpuid doesn't, so
> it's possible this is the problem with headless server also. That's a
> question for the MiP forum.

I'm running MusicMagicMixer on Ubuntu 8.04 x86_64.

I had to install the correct JVM to get it to work, ia32-java-6-sun if I
remember correctly. So, I'm running 32-bit.

R.

egd
2008-06-03, 15:26
I'm running MusicMagicMixer on Ubuntu 8.04 x86_64.

I had to install the correct JVM to get it to work, ia32-java-6-sun if I
remember correctly. So, I'm running 32-bit.Does the headless server work for you? I'm on 32bit Ubuntu so can't test it. FYI, the server doesn't require Java at all, only MiP GUI needs it.

Robin Bowes
2008-06-03, 15:38
egd wrote:
> Robin Bowes;308331 Wrote:
>> I'm running MusicMagicMixer on Ubuntu 8.04 x86_64.
>>
>> I had to install the correct JVM to get it to work, ia32-java-6-sun if
>> I
>> remember correctly. So, I'm running 32-bit.Does the headless server work for you? I'm on 32bit Ubuntu so can't
> test it. FYI, the server doesn't require Java at all, only MiP GUI
> needs it.

I've not tried it yet. I'll report back when I make time to try it.

R.

erland
2008-06-03, 16:44
It's better to have it as raw text than not have it at all, so if you get stuck on the formatting just enter the raw text instead and someone else can provide the formatting.
The idea behind most wikis is actually that the author(you) should focus on the content and the wiki software will provide reasonable formatting more or less automatically.

If you can't determine how to do the formatting from the link Ben referred to, you can also look at the edit tab of an existing page in the wiki to see how the formatting on a particular item is entered.

Brian Ritchie
2008-06-03, 17:31

I'd forgotten that I'd need to rescan to pick up MIP! However, before I got round to trying it, I discovered by accident that a new/changed scan seems to have done the trick. I can now generate mixes from all sorts of places (Controller and all). Yippee! (I did try full rescans last time I dallied with MusicIP, months ago, to no avail.)

... well, now I need to do quite a bit of tuning: even with the Style parameter set to 180 (which should keep the mix close to the seed, if I've understood it correctly), the mixes I'm getting are still a bit too wild.

(OTOH, the mix I'm trying right now is taking me on quite a pleasant walk through the nether regions of my library... :-) )

Curiously, though I haven't (as later posts suggest) cleared SC's Music Folder setting, there don't seem to be any unfortunate side-effects. No duplication, no lost artwork.

I do have both the server and the GUI running at the moment (I was using the GUI to do the analysis); I hope it still works when I close the GUI!

It's taken so long to get this far, I can't quite believe it really is working at last! Still waiting for the other shoe to fall... But I'm looking forward to seeing what I can do with MIP.

-- Brian

erland
2008-06-03, 17:35
Curiously, though I haven't (as later posts suggest) cleared SC's Music Folder setting, there don't seem to be any unfortunate side-effects. No duplication, no lost artwork.

I think you will be fine as long as the paths to the files in SC Music Folder matches the paths to the music files reported by MusicIP. If they don't match, you will get duplicate files.

technojunkie
2008-06-04, 00:16
... well, now I need to do quite a bit of tuning: even with the Style parameter set to 180 (which should keep the mix close to the seed, if I've understood it correctly), the mixes I'm getting are still a bit too wild.-- Brian

Is there a tutorial anywhere on fine tuning the mix parameters
of MIP both in MusicIP's GUI and SC ?

Do changing the settings in the MIP GUI have any impact on the final results in SC ?

I've searched for some guidance on the MIP website but I can't find anything.

Gibbo
2008-06-04, 01:06
Massive thanks to egd for all his posts in this topic and for making it so clear with what to follow!

The spicefly links clear up a lot too!

and thanks to technojunkie for asking all the questions that I needed answering, as I was having exactly the same problems.

Got it setup headless running fine. Although still not quite finished validating, 15000 tracks, after 39 hours just 2000 to go.

Gibbo
2008-06-04, 01:11
Do changing the settings in the MIP GUI have any impact on the final results in SC ?

I've searched for some guidance on the MIP website but I can't find anything.

If you mean if the MIP settings influence the mix that SC creates then I think it depends if you tell SC to use its settings or the MIP settings. in SC settings, in the musicip settings there is an option to use MIP settings or not, otherwise it'll use the settings that you place in SC on that same page.

technojunkie
2008-06-04, 01:44
If you mean if the MIP settings influence the mix that SC creates then I think it depends if you tell SC to use its settings or the MIP settings. in SC settings, in the musicip settings there is an option to use MIP settings or not, otherwise it'll use the settings that you place in SC on that same page.

Thanks for that Gibbo, that makes things a little clearer. Any idea where I can find information on fine tuning either MIP or SC mix settings ?

I'll second Gibbo's comment and also give a BIG thankyou to egd as I am also now up and running MIP headless and without egd's help I wouldn't of had a clue how to set things up.

egd
2008-06-04, 02:26
Curiously, though I haven't (as later posts suggest) cleared SC's Music Folder setting, there don't seem to be any unfortunate side-effects. No duplication, no lost artwork.KDF also suggested that it is not necessary to remove the SC Music Folder setting, however, every time I tried it I ended up with a doubled up library. Not gotten to the bottom of it, but clearing it works everytime for me.

egd
2008-06-04, 02:34
Thanks for that Gibbo, that makes things a little clearer. Any idea where I can find information on fine tuning either MIP or SC mix settings ? MusicIP Mixer Help - Setting Up a MusicIP Server (http://www.musicip.com/mixer/server.jsp) has some hints and I found Siduhe's comments in this thread very useful (http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=42419).

mherger
2008-06-04, 06:17
> Folder setting, however, every time I tried it I ended up with a
> doubled up library. Not gotten to the bottom of it, but clearing it
> works everytime for me.

The important point here is that the file path for MIP and SC must be the same or SC will consider the tracks different tracks. If you've done the analysis on computer A, moved the results to computer B, then this very likely isn't the case. Log files would, as so often, help understand the issue.

--

Michael

egd
2008-06-04, 06:27
The important point here is that the file path for MIP and SC must be the same or SC will consider the tracks different tracks. If you've done the analysis on computer A, moved the results to computer B, then this very likely isn't the case. Log files would, as so often, help understand the issue. Makes sense, albeit the path in my case is definitely identical, the library is on the same device as MiP headless and SC and all would need to look at /raid/data/AudioLIB/ to find the files.

If I get time I may experiment with a small subset of my library to see if I can make sense of it and/ or the logs.

mherger
2008-06-04, 06:38
> If I get time I may experiment with a small subset of my library to see
> if I can make sense of it and/ or the logs.

Besides the log files there's also a the cached data of what MIS is sending to SC which might help. While running the import go to SC's cache folder and grab a copy of mmm-song-data.txt to help analyze the issue.

--

Michael

egd
2008-06-04, 06:50
Besides the log files there's also a the cached data of what MIS is sending to SC which might help. While running the import go to SC's cache folder and grab a copy of mmm-song-data.txt to help analyze the issue. Thx, will look into this once I've finished writing my contribution to the Wiki. Doing it in Openoffice ATM.

mherger
2008-06-04, 07:01
> the Wiki. Doing it in Openoffice ATM.

Is there a plugin to do so? Would like this a lot!

--

Michael

technojunkie
2008-06-04, 08:07
MusicIP Mixer Help - Setting Up a MusicIP Server (http://www.musicip.com/mixer/server.jsp) has some hints and I found Siduhe's comments in this thread very useful (http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=42419).

Excellent. Thanks again egd.

Does anyone please know if its possible to save the mixes via the Duet controller ?

Thankyou.

egd
2008-06-04, 12:10
Is there a plugin to do so? Would like this a lot!Apparently so (http://extensions.services.openoffice.org/project/wikipublisher), albeit I hadn't looked until you asked and I've not tried it...yet.

strawnj
2008-06-04, 14:39
Just wanted to thank everyone for the help. I have mine up and running!

Siduhe
2008-06-04, 14:43
Excellent. Thanks again egd.

Does anyone please know if its possible to save the mixes via the Duet controller ?

Thankyou.

Yes, indeed. Add mix to playlist or just start playing it, then scroll the bottom of the playlist screen via the controller. There are two options - save playlist or clear playlist.

Brian Ritchie
2008-06-04, 16:02
I think you will be fine as long as the paths to the files in SC Music Folder matches the paths to the music files reported by MusicIP. If they don't match, you will get duplicate files.

Yes... one tiny problem I have is that MusicIP seems to have some out-of-date info in its library. I've been replacing lots of early-days WMA rips with FLAC, and some stale entries pointing to long-gone WMA files are starting to show up in the SC library. (OK, only spotted one so far, but I'll bet there are more.)

MIP is still working through analysis; no idea if these stale tracks will disappear once it's done. Hope so, because if they don't, it's not clear how else I'm going to get rid of them! (Perhaps: archive all the analyses to each track, then wipe the DB and recreate it?)

I'm finding a new (well, forgotten) disadvantage of MIP: scans for new-and-changed music are taking much longer, because they include an import from MIP. At the moment, that has just added a whopping 30 minutes to what would normally take around 5 minutes, and it still hasn't finished! I hope that this will calm down too. (I'm careful not to have MIP analysis running at the same time as a scan, and I have no automated SC scans set.)

-- Brian

ezkcdude
2008-06-04, 16:19
I'm finding a new (well, forgotten) disadvantage of MIP: scans for new-and-changed music are taking much longer, because they include an import from MIP. At the moment, that has just added a whopping 30 minutes to what would normally take around 5 minutes, and it still hasn't finished! I hope that this will calm down too. (I'm careful not to have MIP analysis running at the same time as a scan, and I have no automated SC scans set.)

-- Brian

I realized the same thing in the last couple of days. However, for me, I think it's worth the added convenience I will have of keeping my entire library up-to-date and being able to use the controller for making MIP mixes. Also, did you realize you can schedule SC scans daily? If not, you will find it under "Settings->Plugins->Rescan Music Library". This is for SC 7.1, not sure about earlier versions. So, if you have it set to scan every at night or during the day when you're at work, it shouldn't be too much of an issue. Hope that helped.

FredFredrickson
2008-06-04, 16:55
Music IP has been working very off and on for me.

Randomly my library would lose the 'M' icon for some songs.

Now i've switched to the server instead of the application

I confirm by going to http://127.0.0.1:10002/ that I have all 3,877 songs in my musicip library.

Then I Rescan my library. Takes 10 minutes to "Import" music ip settings.

And then.. nothing happens at all. Still no music IP icon anywhere!

[edit]
So now .. after a stop and start on Squeezecenter, the 'M' is back.

A good idea is to turn off the reload of the musicip database and do a manual scan when new music is added to music IP. It takes up to 10 minutes for my library, during which time some of my library doesn't have the 'M' icon randomly. Seems it's due to random re-syncing. I may be wrong..

Siduhe
2008-06-04, 17:04
Yes... one tiny problem I have is that MusicIP seems to have some out-of-date info in its library. I've been replacing lots of early-days WMA rips with FLAC, and some stale entries pointing to long-gone WMA files are starting to show up in the SC library.

I've seen this a couple of times - one possibility is that you have some out of date .m3u playlist refs? You run on XP, right? If so, open up the GUI, Preferences/General untick add .m3u playlists as library playlists and Refresh, Save Library and then reload cache in the headless UI.

If not, go to the offending file, right click and open File Location. Presumably it won't open, but it seems to force a refresh that gets rid of out of date tracks. Save Library and reload cache in headless if necessary.

All else fails, archive analysis and blow away the cache is a good plan...

technojunkie
2008-06-04, 23:42
Can I import .M3U and Windows Media playlists into MIP to then show up on the Duet controller under playlists ?

I thought I'd ask the question before I tried adding them to the MIP library as everything is working perfectly at the moment and I don't want to do something that might cause a problem.

Thankyou

technojunkie
2008-06-05, 13:20
Problem now solved so please ignore my previous post.

I have today added some songs to the MIP database bringing the total from 7577 to 7622. However, when I run a complete rescan with SC, it still shows that 7577 songs are to be imported from the MIP database and not 7622. Does anyone please know how to resolve this issue ?

Thankyou.

technojunkie
2008-06-05, 13:47
Yes, indeed. Add mix to playlist or just start playing it, then scroll the bottom of the playlist screen via the controller. There are two options - save playlist or clear playlist.

Thankyou for that Sidhue.

I didn't realise that I had to start playing the playlist before being given the option to save it.

Siduhe
2008-06-05, 13:50
Problem now solved so please ignore my previous post.

I have today added some songs to the MIP database bringing the total from 7577 to 7622. However, when I run a complete rescan with SC, it still shows that 7577 songs are to be imported from the MIP database and not 7622. Does anyone please know how to resolve this issue ?

Thankyou.

Are you running headless? Apologies if this is grandmother sucking eggs, but have you reloaded the cache in the headless UI?

Siduhe
2008-06-05, 13:54
Thankyou for that Sidhue.

I didn't realise that I had to start playing the playlist before being given the option to save it.

Neither did I! It makes sense though I guess, when you think of it as if the Controller was the webui. When you trigger a mix via the webui, it stays in the left hand pane until you add to playlist (right pane) where it can be saved as a playlist.

I do think it's missing an "add to play" rather than just a "play" option in the initial mix screen. Will raise with Ben in the relevant bug.

technojunkie
2008-06-05, 13:57
Are you running headless? Apologies if this is grandmother sucking eggs, but have you reloaded the cache in the headless UI?

No, your certainly not teaching your Grandmother to suck eggs as I'm a total novice at the moment so all information is welcome thankyou.

Yes I am running headless. I re-booted my computer and then the correct number of tracks were detected. Is this just a case of stopping and restarting the MusicMagicServer and, if so, how do you do it without re-booting the PC ?

Thanks again.

Siduhe
2008-06-05, 14:40
You need to update the headless server when you make changes to the MIP cache. So go to http://xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx:10002 (where xxx=the ip address where MIP is installed, or localhost:10002).

That will open up the headless server ui. Click Refresh songs and then rescan SC.

The Spicefly (http://spicefly.com/content/blogsection/5/30/) pages have a more fully featured webui for the headless server and a syncer tool to automate the refresh process. I don't use it, but it gets good reviews from the community.

technojunkie
2008-06-05, 15:20
You need to update the headless server when you make changes to the MIP cache. So go to http://xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx:10002 (where xxx=the ip address where MIP is installed, or localhost:10002).

That will open up the headless server ui. Click Refresh songs and then rescan SC.

The Spicefly (http://spicefly.com/content/blogsection/5/30/) pages have a more fully featured webui for the headless server and a syncer tool to automate the refresh process. I don't use it, but it gets good reviews from the community.

I'm running the Spicefly server web UI so I'll add some more songs via the MIP UI and see if I can work out how to refresh the server.

Thanks again.

Siduhe
2008-06-05, 15:41
Should just be the button marked "Refresh songs", underneath Search Songs but not sure how the Spicefly UI is laid out.

Brian Ritchie
2008-06-05, 16:03
I've seen this a couple of times - one possibility is that you have some out of date .m3u playlist refs? You run on XP, right? If so, open up the GUI, Preferences/General untick add .m3u playlists as library playlists and Refresh, Save Library and then reload cache in the headless UI.

That's quite likely; when I re-rip stuff, it can be quite a while before I get round to fixing all the playlists. (I use MediaMonkey to find the errors, and foobar2k to fix them. Fiddly!)

However, when I wrote, I was waiting for a new/changed scan to finish. When it did, the offending track had disappeared.

If not, go to the offending file, right click and open File Location. Presumably it won't open, but it seems to force a refresh that gets rid of out of date tracks. Save Library and reload cache in headless if necessary.

Should I do this (File Location) in the MIP GUI (as I suspect), or in SC? Perhaps moot, given the above; but it will probably happen again sometime.

All else fails, archive analysis and blow away the cache is a good plan...

Yes, must archive the analysis anyway before it gets scorched accidentally. Am putting it off because it will mean an extra-long backup next time (I use rsync), and in that case there are numerous other "big cleanups" that I might as well do at the same time... and (come to think of it) MIP still hasn't finished the analysis.

Come to think of it, adding new stuff to MIP is probably going to make my rip / tag / rescan workflow even more complicated! Ideally, I'd only want to archive analysis of newly-added material; but (AFAIK) there's no way to single out unanalyzed (but fingerprinted) tracks in the MIP GUI.

(I see there's an option to archive analysis on-the-go, but it's greyed-out in my (free) version. Well, if it behaves itself well enough for a month or two, I might upgrade.)

Thanks for your help and advice.

-- Brian

Brian Ritchie
2008-06-05, 16:11
[... D]id you realize you can schedule SC scans daily? If not, you will find it under "Settings->Plugins->Rescan Music Library". This is for SC 7.1, not sure about earlier versions. So, if you have it set to scan every at night or during the day when you're at work, it shouldn't be too much of an issue. Hope that helped.

We usually don't leave the PC on overnight, and certainly not when we're out at work, so I prefer manual scans; if I remember, I set intensive things running when we're watching telly (or otherwise not using the PC). Even so, we've rarely had scans (or even MIP analyses) interfere with SqueezeCenter's service (except for clean-and-rescan, of course!)

Maybe things will calm down once MIP has finished the big analysis job; and then it will "just" be a matter of remembering to analyse new stuff frequently enough for it not to be too big a task.

-- Brian

technojunkie
2008-06-06, 00:39
I have some playlists loaded and stored in the MIP UI but they are not showing on the Duet controller.

Does any one please know why ?

egd
2008-06-06, 01:59
I have today added some songs to the MIP database bringing the total from 7577 to 7622. However, when I run a complete rescan with SC, it still shows that 7577 songs are to be imported from the MIP database and not 7622. Does anyone please know how to resolve this issue ? Seems you've already solved it, but in general, you need to update the MiP database by way of the HTTP API. I've had inconsistent results with Refresh, so I tend to rebuild the library and then have SC update from the newly built library.

Sike
2008-06-06, 04:10
After a couple of days of reloading libraries and working out the problems with using different accounts for each service (W2K3 Server) I have got it up and running.

My question: Is it possible to get it to work when browsing the folders? (I don't browse by artist or album..)

GOOD Stuff!!

technojunkie
2008-06-06, 04:26
Seems you've already solved it, but in general, you need to update the MiP database by way of the HTTP API. I've had inconsistent results with Refresh, so I tend to rebuild the library and then have SC update from the newly built library.
Thankyou egd, yes problem now solved.

Have you any idea why I can't see the playlists saved in the MIP UI in SC ?

Siduhe
2008-06-06, 05:29
Have you any idea why I can't see the playlists saved in the MIP UI in SC ?

Just noticed that my MIP playlists are also missing since upgrading to SC7.1, so not just you. I'll try and track down whether the issue is at the MIP end or the SC end over the weekend.

technojunkie
2008-06-06, 05:43
Thankyou Sidhue.

egd
2008-06-06, 20:32

Thanks for the help, egd.

Do you have ia32-libs (http://packages.ubuntu.com/hardy/ia32-libs) installed? I understand it needs to be installed to run 32 bit progs under 64 bit.

Patrick Dixon
2008-06-07, 03:38
Do you have ia32-libs (http://packages.ubuntu.com/hardy/ia32-libs) installed? I understand it needs to be installed to run 32 bit progs under 64 bit.

I do now ... and MiP Server runs!

Many thanks for all your help.

technojunkie
2008-06-07, 09:58
Can anybody please advise what the MusicIP validation process actually does ?

I ask because, having tried to finely tune the mix paramaters within SC and the MusicMagicServer I'm still getting some very "odd" mixes.

Does the validation process flag tracks by genre, style of music, feel/mood of music or some other method ?

The songs in my library have not been all correctly tagged for genre but I was expecting the MusicIP validation process to log this information.

However if, for example, I select a rock ballad as the seed song, I get a lot of songs in the mix that are not by rock artists and certainly not rock ballads or anything similar in style or mood.

Am I expecting too much from MusicIp or do I need to do some more fine tuning of the mix settings and, if so, which ones ?

I am using MIP headless, the Spicefly server UI and SC 7.01 with a Duet controller.

Thankyou for any helpful advice.

egd
2008-06-07, 10:31
I'd only want to archive analysis of newly-added material; but (AFAIK) there's no way to single out unanalyzed (but fingerprinted) tracks in the MIP GUI.In MiP GUI you can set a Custom filter with the condition "Stored Analysis is Missing".

Also, there's nothing stopping you doing separate analysis and archiving of results for new music and then moving the tracks to your regular library folder structure and having MiP reload tracks - it should pick up the additional folders/tracks. To do this generally involves (in your case making sure you have a backup of the main .m3lib just in case) renaming the m3lib file to something else and then firing up MiP and pointing it to a discrete directory tree containing the new albums, having it do its analysis and archive it. When that's done you move the folders/ files back to your regular library folder structure, delete the recently created .m3lib file and rename the earlier one back so that MiP uses it again. You then need to rescan your library structure to add the new tracks to the old .m3lib.

Personally I do all my flac generation and processing in a discrete folder structure and just point genpuid to it after tagging and replaygain analysis and have it archive tags for me. This works with or without registration key.

egd
2008-06-07, 10:34
Is it possible to get it to work when browsing the folders? (I don't browse by artist or album..)Not sure whether the MiP integration will show itself if browsing folders - there's only one way to find out.

egd
2008-06-07, 10:44
Am I expecting too much from MusicIp or do I need to do some more fine tuning of the mix settings and, if so, which ones?I'd made reference earlier to a post by Siduhe in another thread that I found very useful. There is additional fine tuning that can be done by way of Mixes and Recipes but I've not looked at them yet so can't comment on what to do/ how it works. You should be able to pick up useful info from the MusicIP Blog (http://blog.musicip.com/).

One thing you may want to check in the meantime is where MiP headless is taking its cue from - the mix settings in mmm.ini or that in the SC Plugins/MiP settings area. On my setup it's definitely taking its cue from mmm.ini which I control via the HTTP API. I'm not sure what setting in SC needs to be tweaked to have it take its cue from SC. There are aspects of the integration that are still a mystery to me and this is one of them.

tamanaco
2008-06-07, 12:28
One thing you may want to check in the meantime is where MiP headless is taking its cue from - the mix settings in mmm.ini or that in the SC Plugins/MiP settings area. On my setup it's definitely taking its cue from mmm.ini which I control via the HTTP API. I'm not sure what setting in SC needs to be tweaked to have it take its cue from SC. There are aspects of the integration that are still a mystery to me and this is one of them.

Mystery... Integration...? For me it is still a bit too painful to manipulate the characteristics of the MusicIP mixes because of the plethora of interfaces I have to master. I change the mix settings today and four days later I need a refresh course on the interfaces and settings before I can deal with them again. As I mentioned in post #96, I would like to see the headless HTTP API included as part of the MusicIP settings in the Web interface of SC. To begin, let the settings applied in this page be the default for the MusicIP mixes generated using the Web interface and all the player that connect to the specific SC server. Later, an enhancement could be to have a per player settings page to allow mix characteristics to be different from player to player. I understand that this is not and easy task, but maybe someone in the community would be willing to do it. I'd do it myself, but my days as a developer are long gone and my programming skills are going the way of the Dodo.

technojunkie
2008-06-07, 12:45

Thanks again for the post egd. Thats just the problem ! I don't know if the Duet controller (via SC) is taking its mix settings from MIP, the HTTP AP or SC. Every tweak I make seems to have no real effect on the outcome of the mix.

Is there any way to find out which mix settings are determining the outcome of a mix from a seed track requested from the Duet controller ?

egd
2008-06-07, 15:53
Thanks again for the post egd. Thats just the problem ! I don't know if the Duet controller (via SC) is taking its mix settings from MIP, the HTTP AP or SC. Every tweak I make seems to have no real effect on the outcome of the mix.

Is there any way to find out which mix settings are determining the outcome of a mix from a seed track requested from the Duet controller ?

I'd think a simple way of determining where it's taking its cue from is to change the number of tracks to be generated by the mix in SC Plugins MiP settings and then generate a mix. If the # of tracks changes you know it's taking the cue from SC.

egd
2008-06-07, 16:27
I've just run the test I referred to in my previous post - the upshot is that MiP, when integrated with SC, takes its cue from SC's SqueezeCenter Settings/Plugins/MusicIP. So, unless I'm misinterpreting, mmm.ini is in fact irrelevant in the SC integration setup and mmm.ini's settings are under this construct only loaded as defaults, which are then promptly overridden by SC when it sends mix instructions to MiP headless via the HTTP API.

ezkcdude
2008-06-07, 19:35
Dangit! I had everything working fine for a couple of days, and now I've gone a lost the "M" again.

egd
2008-06-07, 19:42
Dangit! I had everything working fine for a couple of days, and now I've gone a lost the "M" again.

You do/ change anything? Do you have SC pointed to the library or pointed only to MiP?

egd
2008-06-07, 19:46
Folks, as Erland suggested, I've tried to capture the essence of getting integration working in a Wiki entry based largely on this thread: Integrating MusicIP with SqueezeCenter (http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.php/Integrating_MusicIP_with_SqueezeCenter)

Nonreality
2008-06-07, 21:36
Folks, as Erland suggested, I've tried to capture the essence of getting integration working in a Wiki entry based largely on this thread: Integrating MusicIP with SqueezeCenter (http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.php/Integrating_MusicIP_with_SqueezeCenter)

Very nicely done. I do have a couple of suggestions. Dumb it down just a bit, it would scare me off I think if I hadn't already done it (us dummies you know). I think you need to point out a bit more that people can use the GUI to do all the validating, just by reading it was pretty focused on the Genpuid technique. I think most beginners with smaller collections would want to just use the GUI. Just a couple of suggestions and I'm glad you did it because the info before seemed spread all over the internet. Oh you might want to mention spicefly's tool to load in the right order on xp machines. Anyway good job.

egd
2008-06-07, 22:38
Very nicely done. I do have a couple of suggestions. Dumb it down just a bit, it would scare me off I think if I hadn't already done it (us dummies you know). I think you need to point out a bit more that people can use the GUI to do all the validating, just by reading it was pretty focused on the Genpuid technique. I think most beginners with smaller collections would want to just use the GUI. Just a couple of suggestions and I'm glad you did it because the info before seemed spread all over the internet. Oh you might want to mention spicefly's tool to load in the right order on xp machines. Anyway good job.

Thx for the feedback, I've added a short piece on using MiP GUI to do the analysis. There's a reference to Spicefly's guidance under Quick Tips - is that not the tool (registry entry) you're referring to?

If you've some ideas on other areas I should expand on to make it more user friendly I'd be happy to hear them.

technojunkie
2008-06-08, 01:06
I've just run the test I referred to in my previous post - the upshot is that MiP, when integrated with SC, takes its cue from SC's SqueezeCenter Settings/Plugins/MusicIP. So, unless I'm misinterpreting, mmm.ini is in fact irrelevant in the SC integration setup and mmm.ini's settings are under this construct only loaded as defaults, which are then promptly overridden by SC when it sends mix instructions to MiP headless via the HTTP API.
I'm still getting some very weird mixes even with Style set to 200 and Variety set to 1 in the SC settings. These settings should give mixes specifically the same as the seed song but I'm not getting that at all so there must be something else influencing the mix !

This is why I previously asked what the MusicIp validation process actually did an does it matter if the tracks in my music library are not all tagged specifically to genre ?

Thanks again for the posts egd.

egd
2008-06-08, 01:17
I'm still getting some very weird mixes even with Style set to 200 and Variety set to 1 in the SC settings. These settings should give mixes specifically the same as the seed song but I'm not getting that at all so there must be something else influencing the mix !

This is why I previously asked what the MusicIp validation process actually did an does it matter if the tracks in my music library are not all tagged specifically to genre ?

Thanks again for the posts egd.

It shouldn't matter, albeit it will mean you cannot meaningfully restrict your mixes to a given genre. Suggest you post one of your mixes on the MusicIP Forum (http://forums.musicip.com/index.php?showforum=4) along with your mixer settings (per SC, not MiP headless) and ask about the outliers.

technojunkie
2008-06-08, 01:48
It shouldn't matter, albeit it will mean you cannot meaningfully restrict your mixes to a given genre. Suggest you post one of your mixes on the MusicIP Forum (http://forums.musicip.com/index.php?showforum=4) along with your mixer settings (per SC, not MiP headless) and ask about the outliers.
Thanks for that egd. I've registered with the MusicIp forum and will now spend some time looking at previous posts to see if any of my questions have been previously answered prior to submitting a new thread.

ezkcdude
2008-06-08, 04:19
You do/ change anything? Do you have SC pointed to the library or pointed only to MiP?

Now it's working again. I shut down SC and re-started. I think it had something to do with the fact that I had re-booted the computer.

whicken
2008-06-08, 07:57

If a song is ready/mixable, but hasn't been validated yet, that means MusicIP is using the metadata to identify the track. So a track which is tagged as "Jumping Jack Flash" by "The Rolling Stones" will get associated with the most common version of that track. However, the track may be mistagged, or there may be alternate versions of this track. During validation, we can confirm the metadata, and update the acoustics to be more precise.

So, the upshot should generally be better mixes after validation, but if your metadata is reasonably clean, things should work fine without the validation. Validation always starts with the unmixable songs first, so you can try to get complete coverage of your collection before the more detailed cleanup process starts - this is the reason why it starts slow and then speeds up.

mrgothic
2008-06-08, 08:28
hi
hope somebody can help adding musicip,i have a hp smartmedia 475 and my squeezecentre is preinstalled on this,ive never added pluggins before could somebody give me easy step to step installing it im a novice with computers and programs so easier the better

thank you

mrgothic
2008-06-08, 08:40
hi
ive just gone into my pluggins on my slimserver interface and found musicip there the box is ticked further along the line i have the i next to this is settings underlined,am i ready to go have i got it installed already,what are my first steps how to get it going,how do i open it up

thank you

Nonreality
2008-06-08, 09:21
hi
ive just gone into my pluggins on my slimserver interface and found musicip there the box is ticked further along the line i have the i next to this is settings underlined,am i ready to go have i got it installed already,what are my first steps how to get it going,how do i open it up

thank youGo back to post 184 in this thread and hit the link. It might help you.

mrgothic
2008-06-08, 10:50
Go back to post 184 in this thread and hit the link. It might help you.

thank you will check it out

Brian Ritchie
2008-06-08, 17:24
For a while tonight, SC didn't seem to be able to play MIP mixes. I could create them, but when I tried to play them, nothing would happen. Well, to be more precise: whatever was playing would stop, but the webface acted as if it was still playing; play/pause did nothing, and eventually I'd have to go pick something else to play.

Then I started up the MIP GUI on the server, and hey presto! Mixes could be played again.

Do I *really* have to have the GUI running in order to have SC play mixes? I would've expected the MIP server alone to be enough.

I wonder if this is because I still have "Music Folder" set in SC? Until now, I haven't blanked that (as per wiki instructions), as it didn't seem to be required.

Sigh. I was so hopeful that I'd finally got it to work. Yet again, MIP/SC integration is rapidly approaching that chicken-sacrificing "WTF??" factor. It's rapidly unendearing itself, again...

-- Brian

egd
2008-06-08, 18:25
For a while tonight, SC didn't seem to be able to play MIP mixes. I could create them, but when I tried to play them, nothing would happen. Well, to be more precise: whatever was playing would stop, but the webface acted as if it was still playing; play/pause did nothing, and eventually I'd have to go pick something else to play.

Then I started up the MIP GUI on the server, and hey presto! Mixes could be played again.

Do I *really* have to have the GUI running in order to have SC play mixes? I would've expected the MIP server alone to be enough.
I don't have MiP GUI running at all and haven't had the issues you're describing.

I wonder if this is because I still have "Music Folder" set in SC? Until now, I haven't blanked that (as per wiki instructions), as it didn't seem to be required.What do you stand to lose by blanking it and doing a clear and rescan? Mine's blank and I can see all my albums, album artwork etc. via the Web UI and Controller.

Sigh. I was so hopeful that I'd finally got it to work. Yet again, MIP/SC integration is rapidly approaching that chicken-sacrificing "WTF??" factor. It's rapidly unendearing itself, again... Pity you're having issues getting it to work reliably and I fully understand your frustration. I've also reached a point with technology/PCs where I'm tired of ****ing around, I just want things to work. Don't know what else to suggest other than above. What's changed since it last worked for you - new music, box rebooted etc? Finally, are you running MiP headless/SC on Linux or Windows? If it's Windows, I'm going to be controversial and recommend you consider Linux - one thing about Linux is things either work or they don't, and once working they keep working, there is no middle road.

Nonreality
2008-06-08, 20:05

I wonder if this is because I still have "Music Folder" set in SC? Until now, I haven't blanked that (as per wiki instructions), as it didn't seem to be required.

Sigh. I was so hopeful that I'd finally got it to work. Yet again, MIP/SC integration is rapidly approaching that chicken-sacrificing "WTF??" factor. It's rapidly unendearing itself, again...

-- BrianDo you have both the headless and GUI on the same port? If you do change the GUI to 10003 and leave the headless 10002. Just an idea.

Patrick Dixon
2008-06-09, 06:00
I now have MiP running*, but pressing and holding PLAY seems to want to add the playlist to Favorites (sic) - rather than generating a mix. I can generate a mix fine from the web UI.

What am I doing wrong?

* It's still validating my 39K tracks though.

egd
2008-06-09, 06:13
I now have MiP running*, but pressing and holding PLAY seems to want to add the playlist to Favorites (sic) - rather than generating a mix. I can generate a mix fine from the web UI.

What am I doing wrong?

* It's still validating my 39K tracks though.

If you are referring to pressing play on the Controller, MiP/SC integration for the Controller requires SC 7.1

Patrick Dixon
2008-06-09, 06:26
I meant Play on the IR remote.

I'm running a 7.1 beta

egd
2008-06-09, 06:33
I meant Play on the IR remote.Not had that happen so not sure what it could be.

Does the seed song have an m displayed?
Is headless doing your analysis or do you have gui/ genpuid doing that?

technojunkie
2008-06-09, 06:35
Just noticed that my MIP playlists are also missing since upgrading to SC7.1, so not just you. I'll try and track down whether the issue is at the MIP end or the SC end over the weekend.

Did you manage to find out why the playlists are now missing from SC ?

I have several m3u playlists that are showing in the left hand filters/playlists window of the MusicIP UI but not showing under music library/playlists on the Duet controller.

Is there a reason for this ?

Thankyou

thing-fish
2008-06-09, 06:57

Two things for me: MusicIP runs over my own collection, and MusicIP allows for finer-grain control of the mixes. With that said, I use Pandora (and Last.fm) to discover NEW music (i.e. music not yet in my collection).

Siduhe
2008-06-09, 06:59
I meant Play on the IR remote.

I'm running a 7.1 beta

Should be the same (press and hold play) - works for me with yesterday's 7.1 build. Where are you trying initiate a mix from? MIP will only work from Album, Artist, Song, Genre view etc, not from Browse Music Folder.

Also, could be a plugin conflict, where something else has taken press-hold-play?

Patrick Dixon
2008-06-09, 07:21
I'm trying to do it on a song in a current playlist and also in a song browsed to via Artist ... so it sounds like there must be something amiss with the plugin button assignment then?

The tracks must be mixable, because I get a mix if I click the M in the web UI.

Siduhe
2008-06-09, 07:46
I'm trying to do it on a song in a current playlist and also in a song browsed to via Artist ... so it sounds like there must be something amiss with the plugin button assignment then?

The tracks must be mixable, because I get a mix if I click the M in the web UI.

Press/hold to trigger a mix won't work on a song in a current playlist - that will trigger the save playlist function. However, it should work if you browse to a song via artist. Do you see the little MM next to the song on the SB display?

thing-fish
2008-06-09, 08:15
Can anybody please advise what the MusicIP validation process actually does ?

Essentially no, because it's patented (http://patft1.uspto.gov/netacgi/nph-Parser?Sect1=PTO2&Sect2=HITOFF&p=1&u=/netahtml/PTO/search-bool.html&r=1&f=G&l=50&co1=AND&d=PTXT&s1=7,013,301.PN.&OS=PN/7,013,301&RS=PN/7,013,301) (though that does seem to be more about the fingerprinting than the analysis). With that said, I've certainly found that with all the settings at their defaults, if I seed a mix with saxophone-led bebop jazz, I'm going to get a fair amount of saxophone and a fair amount of jazz. If I seed using something with a lot of vocal harmonies, much of the mix will have vocal harmonies. Upbeat seeds generally result in upbeat mixes. I don't know how it does any of this, but it generally does it very well. The mixes it comes up with often remind me of my very favorite FM DJs from my youth, the independent stations where coming up with a flow was an art form.

I ask because, having tried to finely tune the mix paramaters within SC and the MusicMagicServer I'm still getting some very "odd" mixes.

Does the validation process flag tracks by genre, style of music, feel/mood of music or some other method ?

The songs in my library have not been all correctly tagged for genre but I was expecting the MusicIP validation process to log this information.

It definitely seems to be music content-related. Though I have noticed that if I pick a live recording that's got a lot of crowd noise, the mix will include other recordings with crowd noise. Usage of the genre tag, which is not analysis related, is a flag you can set (which restricts the mix to the genre of the seed).

However if, for example, I select a rock ballad as the seed song, I get a lot of songs in the mix that are not by rock artists and certainly not rock ballads or anything similar in style or mood.

Am I expecting too much from MusicIp or do I need to do some more fine tuning of the mix settings and, if so, which ones ?[/quote]

It sounds like you want a pretty restrictive mix, so perhaps you should set the Genre flag to Yes to restrict the genre (then you should only get Rock in the above example). In addition, increase the number for Style. The default is 0, which means to ignore the seed style. (Note that "style" is undefined). For Variety, what I've found is that with a variety of 0, you can create a mix from a seed and get 10 tracks, then immediately create a mix from that same seed and you'll get the exact same tracks again. But if you have Variety set to a higher number, it will vary the mix a little each time you seed with the same track.

My default settings are Variety of 2 and style of 20, no genre restriction. With those settings, if I pick a track by Suzanne Vega that's just her and her guitar, I will get a mix that is largely (but not entirely) acoustic-based and will almost exclusively feature female vocals.

I hope some of this helps! I love MusicIP mixer. I've said it before: I wouldn't have bought a Squeezebox if it weren't for that program. My whole family interacts with our music collection almost *exclusively* through MusicIP mixes.

Patrick Dixon
2008-06-09, 11:05
Press/hold to trigger a mix won't work on a song in a current playlist - that will trigger the save playlist function. However, it should work if you browse to a song via artist. Do you see the little MM next to the song on the SB display?

Yes I see that - I'll try again!

Patrick Dixon
2008-06-09, 12:46
OK, if I press and hold Play on a track selected through Browse -> Artist, it creates a MusicIP playlist ... but it doesn't make it the active playlist. I then have to press + to add it to the end of the current playlist (or press and hold + to add it next). However there doesn't seem to be any way to replace the current playlist with the MusicIP generated one. If I just press play on the first song in the MusicIP playlist it plays the album that the song is taken from, followed by the rest of the MusicIP playlist. I guess this is because I have 'Play other songs in album or directory set'?

This is using the IR remote only.

Is this behaviour what other people see?

egd
2008-06-09, 13:19
OK, if I press and hold Play on a track selected through Browse -> Artist, it creates a MusicIP playlist ... but it doesn't make it the active playlist. I then have to press + to add it to the end of the current playlist (or press and hold + to add it next). However there doesn't seem to be any way to replace the current playlist with the MusicIP generated one. If I just press play on the first song in the MusicIP playlist it plays the album that the song is taken from, followed by the rest of the MusicIP playlist. I guess this is because I have 'Play other songs in album or directory set'?

This is using the IR remote only.

Is this behaviour what other people see?

I have "Play Other Songs In Album" set to "Play Other Songs In Album or Directory" and I don't get this behaviour. After pressing and holding play, I press play again as soon as the MiP list has been generated. This replaces whatever was playing/ is in the playlist and plays the mix just generated.

Patrick Dixon
2008-06-09, 14:32
Hmm, seems to work like that for me now. Must have been finger trouble!

Thanks.

Brian Ritchie
2008-06-09, 17:38
I don't have MiP GUI running at all and haven't had the issues you're describing.

... and curiously enough, nor do I today! Last night I quit the MIP GUI and put the PC into hibernation. I woke it up again today, but didn't restart the GUI. Sitting downstairs, I offered the wife a demo of MIP in action, then realised as I made the mix that it might not play... but I tried it anyway - and it worked fine. As have others since.

No idea why it didn't work at first yesterday, but works today. Like I said, it's all about the chicken voodoo - certainly no mere mortal intervention at work here!

What do you stand to lose by blanking it and doing a clear and rescan?

An hour or two of my (listening) life! :-) It was precisely that kind of, "Well, let's just try..." that kept putting me off MIP at first (and second, and third, ...) IIRC, last time I blanked Music Folder I lost all the artwork, and MIP *still* didn't work (mixes on playlists only).

What's changed since it last worked for you - new music, box rebooted etc?

Not rebooted, but was hibernated. Might've added music and did a new/changed scan, but am not sure if this was before or after I closed the GUI. I only know that umpteen attempts to play mixes failed, until I (re)started the GUI on a hunch, at which point they started to be playable.

Finally, are you running MiP headless/SC on Linux or Windows? If it's Windows, I'm going to be controversial and recommend you consider Linux - one thing about Linux is things either work or they don't, and once working they keep working, there is no middle road.

Well, at the moment the PC that's acting as our SC server is a general workhorse, and "has" to run Windows for umpteen reasons. I've wondered about getting another box to act as a dedicated SC server, and Linux might be an option; but I have bad memories of how much work it took to get Mandrake working on our old PC. Of course, things must've improved considerably since then; but I haven't had the need or the inclination to try again... yet.

-- Brian

egd
2008-06-10, 01:56
I offered the wife a demo of MIP in action, then realised as I made the mix that it might not play... but I tried it anyway - and it worked fine. As have others since.

Glad the chicken voodoo worked its magic :)

Was your wife pleased with the result?

Brian Ritchie
2008-06-10, 13:56
Glad the chicken voodoo worked its magic :)

Was your wife pleased with the result?

Well, the seed track was Young Pilgrims by the Shins (from Chutes Too Narrow), and she was quite impressed with the result... until Rush's The Trees came on - not a fan :-) She wasn't too sure about Tori Amos either. But I enjoyed it, so who cares?!

-- Brian

NFLnut
2008-06-12, 08:39
I haven't tried MIP, but if it's anything like Last.fm, I'll pass! In fact, I still scrobble to LAST.fm, but I find it of little to no value (I'm just too lazy to disable the setting). Whenever I think I might try it again and enter an artist, I find that it gives me a VERY weird mix, and little to no instances of the artist I requested. Plus, LAST.fm tends to add in Christmas tunes in the middle of June .. so yeah .. unless MIP is infinitely better and actually PLAYS the artist I entered .. I'll pass!

tamanaco
2008-06-12, 09:22
I haven't tried MIP, but if it's anything like Last.fm, I'll pass! In fact, I still scrobble to LAST.fm, but I find it of little to no value (I'm just too lazy to disable the setting). Whenever I think I might try it again and enter an artist, I find that it gives me a VERY weird mix, and little to no instances of the artist I requested. Plus, LAST.fm tends to add in Christmas tunes in the middle of June .. so yeah .. unless MIP is infinitely better and actually PLAYS the artist I entered .. I'll pass!

Short of having your own personal DJ... MusicIP allows you to explore tracks you already own, but that you rarely... if ever... play yourself. These mixes are created effortlessly. Just click one seed album or track and mix. The MusicIP mixes are based on the premise that tracks/albums with similar "signatures" go well together. So, if I want a playlist of songs I like I built the playlist myself. But.. if I feel lazy and want to hear mellow Jazz without having to edit a playlist, I select a seed song from one of my favorite Bossa Nova albums and let MusicIP built me a playlist of similar songs. 9 times out 10 I'm amazed with the resulting mix that MusicIP generates. What I like the most is that I get to hear tracks from my library that I didn't even know I had.

ModelCitizen
2008-06-12, 10:38
Whenever I think I might try it again and enter an artist, I find that it gives me a VERY weird mix, and little to no instances of the artist I requested.
It sounds like you are using the "Similar Artists" function. The first track is usually by your chosen artist and then all succeeding tracks are by Similar Artists (which I take to mean the next most played artists by those users who play a lot of music by the artist you've chosen... it's a bit more complex than that I imagine, but you'll get the idea).

I love Last.fm similar artists. It's helped me find a lot of new music. I also like the tag radio function and play users radio function.

MC

ezkcdude
2008-06-12, 11:30
.. unless MIP is infinitely better and actually PLAYS the artist I entered .. I'll pass!

It will create a mix of songs that sound like the song, artist, or album of your choice. So, yeah, it will include songs by your favorite artist. You can also tell it to avoid playing too many songs in a row or in some amount of time by the same artist - thus, keeping the mix from becoming too predictable.

maggior
2008-06-12, 21:45
Wow, I can't believe this thread is still going. The new wiki is great. I've learned a lot more about MusicIP by reading all of the posts in this thread. Glad to see a few people who've struggled with this in the past got it going.

So the other day I made a mix based on a Keith Jarrett track. In it were 2 songs of the "holiday" (i.e. Christmas) genre. I see how to exclude genres using the MusicIP GUI, but that doesn't help when using SC.

Does anybody know how you can exclude a genre from MusicIP mixes using the SC MusicIP plugin?

If there is not way, perhaps a feature request is in order.

Cheers!
Rich

Siduhe
2008-06-13, 02:34
Does anybody know how you can exclude a genre from MusicIP mixes using the SC MusicIP plugin?

Yes, you need to create a filter or series of filters. In the MusicIP GUI (assuming you can access this) right click in the top left pane and create new filter. Then add the conditions that meet that filter (genre does not contain Christmas for example). Save it. The filter will then be available in SC (usually without a rescan in my experience, running headless). If you select the filter before mixing, it will mix only from tracks which meet the filter requirements.

One caveat here - at the moment, I don't think you can access/change filters from the Duet Controller, whereas you can from the old SB remote when you start a mix. For that reason, I have a general "ignore excluded tracks" filter, which leaves out any material which I might want to listen to every now and then, but don't want mixed in as a matter of course.

I also find filters very useful for when I only want tracks mixed from my own music library, not from my other half's. (Filter=tracks which have the filepath to my music only).

maggior
2008-06-13, 12:47
Yes, you need to create a filter or series of filters. In the MusicIP GUI (assuming you can access this) right click in the top left pane and create new filter. Then add the conditions that meet that filter (genre does not contain Christmas for example). Save it. The filter will then be available in SC (usually without a rescan in my experience, running headless). If you select the filter before mixing, it will mix only from tracks which meet the filter requirements.

Thanks for the reply. That certainly seems easy enough. I'm using Linux, so I hope that functionality is there.

Do you know how the changes using the GUI are relected in SC? Will I have to copy a file from where the GUI puts it to where the headless server will want to find it?

Thanks!

Siduhe
2008-06-13, 13:30
On a Windows build, no - no copying required. It appears in the MusicIP plugin settings page of Squeezecenter as a drop down option (also available on an SB3 by scrolling down before you initiate a mix if you give each player access to the mix settings). Not sure about a Linux build. However, the filter option is a parameter to the HTTP API so should be fairly straightforward.

One other thought - I have a registration key, not sure if this is a requirement to use filters.

lork
2008-06-13, 14:32
OK, I want to love MusicIP too.. but a 23-page thread (and several other wiki,/spicefly/etc sets of pages) is pretty intimidating, and in any case, after going through it all, I am still confused.

Any answers appreciated!

Questions:
- How do I set up MIP headless on my ubuntu machine? I am not a linux jock, so I would need pretty thorough instructions, including how to edit whatever it is so that MIP starts before Squeezecenter. Several of you are clearly running this way... willing to help? If the advice works easily, I'll clean it up & repost (with proper credit) in a clear way for other novice ubuntu folks. Ubuntu seems to do a lot of things differently than "regular" unix; maybe there's just some command to run?

- As far as I can tell, I will be best scanning my (FLAC) library on my XP machine, writing the data to the tags, and then moving the whole library to the Ubuntu machine. That way I get to use the full MIP GUI for the analysis... does this sound right? Since the library is on an external HD, will that make the scan take a lot longer?

- Can I get MIP to fix all the tags while doing this? Sure sounds nice... or do I need to analyze, then fix tags? (nb: tags are decent already... if so, will having MIP "fix" them create more trouble than it's worth?

- Once I've analyzed the library & moved it onto the Ubuntu machine (with MIP running headless), then what? Just scan it into Squeezecenter & go? Or are there additional steps to get everything running together?

I can sort out details of setting moods/whatever after I have these basics taken care of.

Anyway, I'd appreciate any help- XP I am comfortable with, but linux/ubuntu (8.04 Hardy) is new to me so any command line stuff needs to be clearly explained... assume I only know how to open the terminal & move around in directories.

Thanks!

egd
2008-06-13, 16:15
OK, I want to love MusicIP too.. but a 23-page thread (and several other wiki,/spicefly/etc sets of pages) is pretty intimidating, and in any case, after going through it all, I am still confused.

Most of the information contained in this thread has been encapsulated in the Integrating MusicIP with SqueezeCenter (http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.php/Integrating_MusicIP_with_SqueezeCenter) wiki entry and should be enough to get you up and running with Linux (other than the bit about starting MiP before SC).

- How do I set up MIP headless on my ubuntu machine? I am not a linux jock, so I would need pretty thorough instructions, including how to edit whatever it is so that MIP starts before Squeezecenter. Several of you are clearly running this way... willing to help? If the advice works easily, I'll clean it up & repost (with proper credit) in a clear way for other novice ubuntu folks. Ubuntu seems to do a lot of things differently than "regular" unix; maybe there's just some command to run? Let me do some digging and I'll post the answer then update the Wiki entry

- As far as I can tell, I will be best scanning my (FLAC) library on my XP machine, writing the data to the tags, and then moving the whole library to the Ubuntu machine. That way I get to use the full MIP GUI for the analysis... does this sound right? Since the library is on an external HD, will that make the scan take a lot longer?
Won't take longer because it's an external HDD. You can MiP for Linux/ Windows or Genpuid for Linux/Windows to do the analysis and archiving.

- Can I get MIP to fix all the tags while doing this? Sure sounds nice... or do I need to analyze, then fix tags? (nb: tags are decent already... if so, will having MIP "fix" them create more trouble than it's worth? It can fix tags after analysis is complete. You will need to highlight the tracks you want to correct and select fix tags.

- Once I've analyzed the library & moved it onto the Ubuntu machine (with MIP running headless), then what? Just scan it into Squeezecenter & go? Or are there additional steps to get everything running together? Refer Wiki, it specifically addresses this.

Anyway, I'd appreciate any help- XP I am comfortable with, but linux/ubuntu (8.04 Hardy) is new to me so any command line stuff needs to be clearly explained... assume I only know how to open the terminal & move around in directories.I posted a howto on getting MiP running on a Thecus NAS. It included specific commands etc. that should be of use to you in figuring out which file is the Linbux executable etc. The thread can be viewed @ http://forums.musicip.com/index.php?showtopic=3478

egd
2008-06-13, 17:59
Download MusicIP for Linux from MusicIP.com and save the file to a temp folder e.g. ~/MusicIP
Open a terminal Window and change to the temp folder, extract the archive and optionally remove it:

cd ~/MusicIP
gzip -dc MusicMixer_x86_1.8.tgz | tar xf -
rm MusicMixer_x86_1.8.tgz

The above can also be accomplished by right clicking on the archive and selecting "Extract here", then renaming the folder to MusicIP and using drag and drop operation to move the folder to /home/username/

One of the files in the archive is called "mmserver". This is the startup script for MiP headless. It needs to be customised to reflect your configuration and then added to your Linux boot process.

The default file looks as follows:

#! /bin/sh

# NON-PRIVIELEGED USER TO RUN MUSICMAGICSERVER.
USER=
# PATH TO THE MUSICMAGICMIXERSERVER
export MUSICHOME=
case $1 in
start)
su - $USER -c $MUSICHOME"MusicMagicServer start & > /dev/null"
echo "Running MusicMagicServer"
exit
;;
stop)
su - $USER -c $MUSICHOME"MusicMagicServer stop & > /dev/null"
echo "Stopped MusicMagicServer"
exit
;;
*)
echo "Usage: /etc/rc.d/init.d/mmserver { start | stop }"
exit
;;
esac

"USER=" should be set to your Ubuntu login name e.g. "USER=egd".
"export MUSICHOME=" should be edited to reflect the location of your MusicIP installation and by implication your MiP database (if you're following this step by step it would currently become "export MUSICHOME=/home/yourusername/MusicIP/".
You can then copy mmserver to /etc/init.d/ as follows:
sudo cp mmserver /etc/init.d/

Now you need to tell Ubuntu to start MiP BEFORE Squeezecenter. Install Boot-up-manager (BUM) and then run it (it will also appear as an entry in your Ubuntu System/Administration menu):
sudo apt-get install bum
sudo bumClick on BUM's Advanced option and navigate to its Services tab. Find SqueezeCenter, right click on it and select "Change Start/Stop priority". Note the numeric priority assigned to it. Hit Cancel. Find mmserver, right click on it and select "Change Start/Stop priority". Set the numeric priority assigned to it to a higher number than that assigned to SqueezeCenter. Hit OK.

Restart your Ubuntu machine (if you know what you're doing you can stop SC, start MiP and then restart SC, thus avoiding the need for a reboot, however, a reboot is probably warranted to ensure it all works when you start up your machine).

maggior
2008-06-13, 18:12
On a Windows build, no - no copying required. It appears in the MusicIP plugin settings page of Squeezecenter as a drop down option (also available on an SB3 by scrolling down before you initiate a mix if you give each player access to the mix settings). Not sure about a Linux build. However, the filter option is a parameter to the HTTP API so should be fairly straightforward.

One other thought - I have a registration key, not sure if this is a requirement to use filters.

I see the drop-down in the SC settings, but it shows none. I fired up the MIP GUI and was able to create a filter just like you said - piece of cake. But, when I go to SC, it isn't there. I shutdown both SC and MIP and restarted both - still not there.

Since I could get the filter to work in the GUI, I would think that this is not a feature that requires a registration key.

Looking at the API, it looks like you can only query what filters exist - you can't actually create one.

Does anybody know how to make this work with Linux?

Thanks,
Rich

maggior
2008-06-13, 18:35
I see the drop-down in the SC settings, but it shows none. I fired up the MIP GUI and was able to create a filter just like you said - piece of cake. But, when I go to SC, it isn't there. I shutdown both SC and MIP and restarted both - still not there.

Since I could get the filter to work in the GUI, I would think that this is not a feature that requires a registration key.

Looking at the API, it looks like you can only query what filters exist - you can't actually create one.

Does anybody know how to make this work with Linux?

Thanks,
Rich

Looking at the init script egd posted gave me my clue. When I run the GUI of MIP, I'm logged in as root. So, my changes all go into /root/.MusicIP. I hacked up the squeezecenter script to start MIP headless and didnt' specify the user ID. So, when it starts, it is reading from /.MusicIP. When I log in as root, kill the MIP headless server and start it logged in as root, then SC sees my filter!!!

So, on Linux, in order for changes you make in the GUI to be seen by the headless server, you must run both under the same user name.

When I have time, I may give a whack at updating the Wiki with this additional information.

PS - after more playing around with this, I realized that it isn't the username that is important, but what $HOME is set to. In the SC initscript for SuSE, $HOME is explicitly set to a SC directory prior to starting the SC server. Setting this to "root" prior to starting the headless MIP server solved my problem.

egd
2008-06-13, 18:48

Could you post the path to the filter you've created - if we can see where it's being saved we may be able to drop it in the like location under MiP headless on Linux? Thx

maggior
2008-06-13, 19:39
To create a filter, you need to use the MusicMagicMixer, which is a Java GUI. Right click on the left window pane and you will see an option to create a filter.

When you do this, You MUST ensure that you run the GUI as the same user as your headless MusicMagicServer. You must also ensure that $HOME is the same in the environment that the GUI is run and the headless server is run. This is normally taken care of by running under the same user name, but this isn't always the case. Otherwise, changes made in the GUI will not be reflected by the headless server.

Once the filter has been created, you must exit the GUI, and restart SqueezeCenter and MusicMagicServer. It may be enough to just restart MusicMagicServer. I restart both since I have both start from the same init script.

At this point, your filters will be available on the MusicIP configuration page of SqueezeCenter.

It's a PITA, but fortunately configuring filters is probably not something you will do very often.

lork
2008-06-13, 20:39
Restart your Ubuntu machine (if you know what you're doing you can stop SC, start MiP and then restart SC, thus avoiding the need for a reboot, however, a reboot is probably warranted to ensure it all works when you start up your machine).

I did everything you wrote, egd (and many thanks for excellent instructions)

However, having done all that, I cannot open http://localhost:10002. Firefox says "cannot establish a connection with...".

So I think maybe MusicMagicServer is not running... Having failed to "MusicMagicSevrer start" (even with sudo) at the command line, I looked up & used alt-F2 to open a run window, and entered MusicIP/MusicMagicMixer/MusicMagicServer and hit "run". I got no error, but still can't open :10002.

FWIW, I did edit mmm.ini to include my key (I paid the $20). Not sure if that could mess anything up (I used the text editor). I used OpenOffice to edit mmserver, & saved as text.

I'm going to try installing MusicIP on my XP machine to analyze my tracks, but I assume I can't do anything beyond that until I figure out how to start MusicMagicServer.

Thanks again!

maggior
2008-06-13, 21:26
To see if the server is running, open a command window and type type the following command:
ps -ef | grep -i musicmagicserver

If the output only shows your "ps" command, then the server is not running.

You should see something like this:
peter:~ # ps -ef | grep -i musicmagicserver
root 3867 1 0 Jun13 ? 00:00:00 /usr/MusicIP/MusicMagicMixer/MusicMagicServer start
root 4402 4383 0 00:24 pts/0 00:00:00 grep -i musicmagicserver
peter:~ #

egd
2008-06-13, 21:36
I did everything you wrote, egd (and many thanks for excellent instructions)

However, having done all that, I cannot open http://localhost:10002. Firefox says "cannot establish a connection with...".
My apologies, I should have tested it before posting it. I left out a minor little detail...actually having BUM activate mmserver. Run BUM again, select Advanced, activate the Services tab and scroll down to mmserver. Make sure there is a tick in the Activate field (it's not enabled by default). I've tested this on my Ubuntu PC and MiP is now up and running. Time for me to update the Wiki.

FWIW, I did edit mmm.ini to include my key (I paid the $20). Not sure if that could mess anything up (I used the text editor). I used OpenOffice to edit mmserver, & saved as text. No need to register to use headless, but I'm sure they appreciate the moola nontheless.

I'm going to try installing MusicIP on my XP machine to analyze my tracks, but I assume I can't do anything beyond that until I figure out how to start MusicMagicServer. You'll get it done a lot faster if you're prepared to use Genpuid.

egd
2008-06-13, 21:40
Figured out the magic for using Filters with headless LinuxMaggior, thanks for posting this, I'm going to give it a spin tonight.

Seems we're slowly piecing together the puzzle :)

lork
2008-06-13, 22:51
Hello, egd-

I ran bum again & checked the box... it was already checked, since I had to check it previously in order to get the "change start/stop priority" field to work. I had previously chosen "no" under the "start or stop services now" that happens when you click "apply", since I didn't know what was going on & it said in that case changes would take effect on boot, which seemed like what was supposed to happen. Two reboots & no love.

This time I chose apply & said yes to "start or stop services now"... still can't get to :10002 using firefox.

Did ps -ef | grep -i musicmagicserver per maggior's instructions- nothing is running (just echoes my command).

Same after reboot.

On the off chance I had misunderstood, I changed mmserver's priority to be lower than slimserver's, and rebooted, but still doesn't work.

I tried forcing it to start by opening a terminal and typing
code:
sudo MusicIP/MusicMagicMixer/MusicMagicServer start

This time it said "Starting server on port 10002"... this had not happened when I tried it before my previous post. The window hung... got no prompt back. Closed the window.

Tried firefox to localhost:10002 and it worked!

Used bum to reset start (and stop; is this right?) priority for mmserver to be 21 (slimserver is 20).

After reboot, cannot open :10002... it must not have started. Squeezecenter opens, so it must have started... seems like something isn't working here.

Went to bum, highlighed mmsever (w/out checking advanced tab), went to services menu and \clicked "start service now", which it seemed to do.. but left a "?" under the "Running" column. Firefox could not open :10002
Did the sudo command (above) again, and then firefox could get to :10002

Where I am now:
- mmserver does not appear to start by itself (but will run if forced in specific circumstances from the terminal prompt)
- seems like it must then not be able to start prior to squeezecenter.

(Yet more) help appreciated!

PS: Thanks for genpuid suggestion; I'm going to scan from XP since files are ripped/stored/backed up NTFS before migration to ubuntu, and safety of ubuntu/ext3 to NTFS remains unclear so I keep that a one-way flow. Too bad, since I have dual core on ubuntu, so could run two genpuids at max speed (as I understand it).

PPS: for the wiki entry, I had to do one other mod to your instructions: prior to the sudo command you directed me to do, I had to:
Open terminal, then cd MusicIP, cd MusicMagicServer, then execute:
otherwise I seemed to be in the wrong directory when the terminal opened, and cp couldn't find mmserver.

Thanks again!

egd
2008-06-13, 23:05
The window hung... got no prompt back. Closed the window.

Tried firefox to localhost:10002 and it worked!
If you want the prompt back add " &" to the end of the command to launch MiP

Where I am now:
- mmserver does not appear to start by itself (but will run if forced in specific circumstances from the terminal prompt)Please type the following in a terminal window and paste the results into a reply post:
cat /etc/init.d/mmserver Here's mine:

egd@egd-desktop:~$ cat /etc/init.d/mmserver
#! /bin/sh

USER=egd
export MUSICHOME=/home/egd/MusicIP/
case $1 in
start)
exit
;;
stop)
exit
;;
*)
exit
;;
esac

egd@egd-desktop:~$

PPS: for the wiki entry, I had to do one other mod to your instructions: prior to the sudo command you directed me to do, I had to:
Open terminal, then cd MusicIP, cd MusicMagicServer, then execute:
otherwise I seemed to be in the wrong directory when the terminal opened, and cp couldn't find mmserver. Thanks, I should have been clearer, I dragged MusicMagicServer to ~/ and then renamed it to MusicIP - hence my instructions worked for me :)

I'm going out for a few hours, so will check in when I return.

lork
2008-06-13, 23:48
Hello, egd-

Edit: I found the problem... tried to force mmserver to run using sudo, and got an error message that the file wasn't found... and also a "Running MusicMagicServer". Looking at the script, it includes this line, so it seemed clear the script ran... so I looked and found that the path for the file to be run required an extra directory level... apparently MIP extracted differently on my machine than yours, and I didn't catch it. Might include a word to the wise if editing the wiki.

Rebooted and can open localhost:10002, so it looks like I'm up & running. Now analyzing files; with luck, I can get things going from here... fingers crossed.

Thanks again for all the help.

Original post, plus fix:

Here it is. My username on the computer is a2 (there is no a1... just me). The only difference I see with your code is that you're working from your desktop... not sure if that matters. Also, yours talks about a different path "# PATH ...". My home directory is a2, so the path is a2/MusicIP/MusicMagicMixer/mmserver ... don't know if that helps, but anyway.

Enjoy your weekend; I'd like to get this working, but the analysis will take ~ 12 hrs+ anyway, so there's hardly a rush.

Thanks yet again.

a2@a2:~$ cat /etc/init.d/mmserver
#! /bin/sh

USER=a2
export MUSICHOME=/home/a2/MusicIP
case $1 in
start)
exit
;;
stop)
exit
;;
*)
exit
;;
esac

a2@a2:~$

This change fixed it:

export MUSICHOME=/home/a2/MusicIP/MusicMagicMixer/

egd
2008-06-14, 03:03
Here it is. My username on the computer is a2 (there is no a1... just me). The only difference I see with your code is that you're working from your desktop... not sure if that matters. The desktop you're seeing in my post is just the name of my PC. I didn't have the motherboard model number handy so left it as the default "desktop" during the Ubuntu install process. If you ever see a "/" at the beginning of a file path in Linux, it represents the root directory on the drive, much like "\" in the same position means the same on a Windows filesystem.

Also, yours talks about a different path "# PATH ...". My home directory is a2, so the path is a2/MusicIP/MusicMagicMixer/mmserver ... don't know if that helps, but anyway. I see a few differences:
- my path statement includes a / at the end of the string, yours doesn't
- your path statement points to MUSICHOME=/home/a2/MusicIP , whereas you've indicated earlier that your MiP server is located at a2/MusicIP/MusicMagicMixer/

Check where your MiP files are in fact located, a) /home/a2/MusicIP/ or b) /home/a2/MusicIP/MusicMagicMixer/ and set the MUSICHOME= string to whichever it is, remembering to include the "/" at the end of the string.

lork
2008-06-14, 03:05
Hey, egd-

Looks like I was editing my previous post (had found problem) while you were posting the answer.

It's working now; many thanks!

maggior
2008-06-14, 12:51
Maggior, thanks for posting this, I'm going to give it a spin tonight.

Seems we're slowly piecing together the puzzle :)

Indeed we are :-). It's actually kind of fun, especially since we are managing to make forward progress.

SuSE startup scripts are unique in that they have strict guidelines (which I think come from LSB standards) for their init scripts. I'm giving it a go to see if I can make one that works so I can get rid of the hack that I put into the squeezecenter init script to start MusicIP. I'm using the squeezecenter script as a starting point. When I get something that works, I'll post it here. So far, I have something that works, but not in the context of Yast (their system management program).

Cheers!
Rich

egd
2008-06-14, 15:28
To create a filter, you need to use the MusicMagicMixer, which is a Java GUI. Right click on the left window pane and you will see an option to create a filter.

When you do this, You MUST ensure that you run the GUI as the same user as your headless MusicMagicServer. You must also ensure that $HOME is the same in the environment that the GUI is run and the headless server is run. This is normally taken care of by running under the same user name, but this isn't always the case. Otherwise, changes made in the GUI will not be reflected by the headless server.

Once the filter has been created, you must exit the GUI, and restart SqueezeCenter and MusicMagicServer. It may be enough to just restart MusicMagicServer. I restart both since I have both start from the same init script.

At this point, your filters will be available on the MusicIP configuration page of SqueezeCenter.

It's a PITA, but fortunately configuring filters is probably not something you will do very often.

I've done a little experimenting to try to see what MiP GUI actually does when you create filters - the upshot is it modifies the .m3lib file (MiP database/ cache). Closing MiP GUI and then doing a browser refresh or repointing your browser to localhost:10002 shows that MiP headless detects the change in the DB and notifies you with a message "Cache has been modified on disk". Clicking the "Reload Cache" button causes MiP to reload it, following which a refresh of the SC Plugins page or repointing your browser to Settings/Plugins/MiP Settings causes all the filters to be visible in SC, so the good news is there is no need to reboot or restart MiP headless and/ or SC to use filters.

Now I'm off to follow Siduhe's guidance re Moods...

I sense a need emerging to expose MiP Plugin settings via the IR and Controller remotes for on the fly tweaking...

egd
2008-06-14, 16:10
One other thought - I have a registration key, not sure if this is a requirement to use filters. Based on my testing there is no requirement to register ion order to use filters.

egd
2008-06-14, 17:06
You need to use the GUI to create the mood, but once saved (and after a clear and rescan) it should be available in Squeezecenter even when running headless.Siduhe, I've created a mood file using the Linux GUI and confirmed that the mood file has been saved in /home/egd/.MusicMagic/moods/TestMood.m3u (as I expected it would). Doing a clear and rescan doesn't introduce Moods into MiP settings under Plugins, basically nothing changes. For posterity I also copied the mood file to ~/MusicIP/moods, ~/MusicIP being where I have MiP installed, and repeated the clear and rescan - to same effect. Am I looking in the right place, overlooking something etc?

pippin
2008-06-14, 19:42
Just another update on my scanning process:

It's now running for 15 days (low prio, C7, 1GHz) and it still has not really picked up speed, indeed it has done ~1150 tracks which is actually down from its original pace of 100 tracks per day.

Let's see what happens, if it does NOT pick up speed I will probably be able to use MusicIP on Christmas but then it was mentioned it does the "hard part first". My hopeful guess now if that the around 5.000 tracks it almost immediately showed as "mixable" were the "easy" part which will bring me to them in a bit more than another week...

lork
2008-06-14, 22:30
I apologize if I've missed something earlier that explained why this is taking so long...

Just as a benchmark, on a laptop with a 1.7 Ghz processor and processor use set to "normal" in MusicIP, I have scanned nearly 2,000 tracks in under 12 hours. Current rate is ~ 6 tracks/minute (approx 5 Gb FLAC files/hr). While websurfing.

I do have the tracks on my internal hard drive, and my web connection is good (but wireless). My music is not all pop, but is all commercial albums. Relatively few are super obscure, but many are not too mainstream.

I did have a period at the beginning of the alphabet (going in alphabetical order by artist) where it took several hours to go only a few tracks. It then sped up quickly to 5-6 tracks/min.

If yours isn't, maybe something else is going on? Is your processor getting other heavy use, antivirus actively scanning everything that's accessed by your computer (you can turn that off whithout deactivating all your antivirus protection, by the way), or your internet connection very slow? Maybe try scanning a few albums singly, ones that aren't obscure, and see if they go fast?

Anyway, what you describe seems odd given my experience, but I have no better suggestions.

egd
2008-06-15, 01:39
Just another update on my scanning process:

It's now running for 15 days (low prio, C7, 1GHz) and it still has not really picked up speed, indeed it has done ~1150 tracks which is actually down from its original pace of 100 tracks per day.Pippin, is your collection highly esoteric or middle of the road stuff?

chinablues
2008-06-15, 04:58
A long thread & if its been said before, my apologies. Never mind the MusicIP scanner & how long that takes (never been a problem for me), the thing that bugs me is the SC scanner interface with Music IP when I'm scanning new or changed music. Here SC scanner zips through the music folders mostly correctly picking up changes and additions in double quick time, but then it does a FULL scan of Music IP import. THAT takes for ages. I'm scanning as I write this. Directory scan finished in 25 secs, Music IP import, currently at 2450 of 20593 having taken 4 mins 50 secs already!! Is there not a smart way for SC scanner to suck in only the changes/adds on Music IP??

Yes I like MIP too...

Dan

pippin
2008-06-15, 08:07
Pippin, is your collection highly esoteric or middle of the road stuff?

Some of both. On my Mac I managed to scan 25% of this database in within a day.
I do have some own recordings and stuff like ripped DVDs, some stuff in WAV-Format and a lot of Audio Books. So maybe not everything is unexpected...

The system doesn't do a lot besides the scanning but the priority is low, at least it's not using more than 30% of the CPU.

egd
2008-06-15, 15:32
A long thread & if its been said before, my apologies. Never mind the MusicIP scanner & how long that takes (never been a problem for me), the thing that bugs me is the SC scanner interface with Music IP when I'm scanning new or changed music. Here SC scanner zips through the music folders mostly correctly picking up changes and additions in double quick time, but then it does a FULL scan of Music IP import. THAT takes for ages. I'm scanning as I write this. Directory scan finished in 25 secs, Music IP import, currently at 2450 of 20593 having taken 4 mins 50 secs already!! Is there not a smart way for SC scanner to suck in only the changes/adds on Music IP?? The SC rescan happens because every time you add albums with MiP the entire cache/ database is regenerated. I have the same gripe and am exploring a number of options to get around this (if it is at all possible). I see two possibilities (both on the presumption that appending rather than rewriting the MiP cache will stop SC having to do a full blown rescan):
- append the cache file using MiP GUI
- append the cache file using Genpuid

Genpuid is the more attractive option because it doesn't require user intervention and can be automated eg run overnight.

If I find a solution I'll post it here.

egd
2008-06-15, 16:25
Some of both. On my Mac I managed to scan 25% of this database in within a day.
I do have some own recordings and stuff like ripped DVDs, some stuff in WAV-Format and a lot of Audio Books. So maybe not everything is unexpected...

The system doesn't do a lot besides the scanning but the priority is low, at least it's not using more than 30% of the CPU.

if it's not in active duty I'd set the priority to high and let it run its course. Heh, I remember doing the analysis on a PII-350! Now THAT was slow!