PDA

View Full Version : RCA jacks or Digital Which one's better?

lgetz24
2008-05-29, 18:08
I heard that the digital out is supposed to be a way better connection then the analog rca's. Is this really better? Will I or anyone be able to tell the differece. Just figured someone on here would have and opinion about this.
Thanks for your thoughts.

iPhone
2008-05-29, 19:09
I heard that the digital out is supposed to be a way better connection then the analog rca's. Is this really better? Will I or anyone be able to tell the differece. Just figured someone on here would have and opinion about this.
Thanks for your thoughts.

Hello and Welcome to the Forum. It is a good thing that you did not ask this question in the Audiophile section just as a heads up. Also as a heads up, try searching the Forum, as there are tons on opinions on this subject and the subject of DACs.

First hurdle is are you using MP3s or FLAC files? If one is using low quality MP3 files it does not make much difference at all.

It is my view that it all depends on what "Sound" one likes from his or her system. Next it depends what one is comparing it to. And next how much ones system can do with the source signal provided to it.

As an example, if one is using FLAC files and has an SB3 connected to a pair of $30 computer speakers going to a DAC is not going to make much difference. Where as if one has a nice pre-amp, amp, and speakers with an SB3, a DAC could make all the difference in the world (or stepping up to a Transporter).

Id there a huge difference letting your HT Receiver accept the SB3 digital out over going analog into the Receiver, that depends on the DAC in the Receiver. The SB3 has a fairly good DAC and the TP has a great DAC. Is the SB3 DAC as good as the new top of the line NAD, Marantz, and other HT Receivers? No it is not.

So a lot of your answer is going to be opinion and a lot is going to depend on the file format you have chosen, and your system equipment. Do I think a nice DAC can make any SB3 sound better? I do. The question becomes can that system benefit and produce a pleasing noticeable difference worth the capitol expense of the new DAC.

Hope that helps and again welcome to the Forum and do some searching and reading of the DAC treads.

Mark Lanctot
2008-05-30, 05:35
See http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.php/AnalogOrDigital

lgetz24
2008-05-30, 12:21
Thanks for all the input. I did not know there was that much involved. I was under the impression that like if you hook up a cd/dvd player to your reciever and you had the option to hook it up through the digital audio cable you got a better sound. I dont know why that is, but i remeber several people saying that was a better way.
So i didnt know if doing that with this squeezdox duet was the same thing or not. I think i understand now what you are talking about with the DAC's & such. anyway all my music was ripped in mp3form i never even hear of flac. after seeing it mentioned on this forum i googled it and supposedly its they way to go ,much better sounding becuse of the less compression and such. No onto this question, do you know is there a way for me to convert my current mp3's over to flac and will i notice a better sound from doing so. Is it worth it? Are there any benifits of being in flac format? If this is not the right way to find this stuff out i do appologize, but i figured joining this thing and asking questions and poking around would give me some more knowledge. hope u can help by trying to answer my questions, i do appreciate it, thanks

Mark Lanctot
2008-05-30, 12:35
I was under the impression that like if you hook up a cd/dvd player to your reciever and you had the option to hook it up through the digital audio cable you got a better sound.

Sometimes yes, sometimes no. Try both and see what you like.

No onto this question, do you know is there a way for me to convert my current mp3's over to flac and will i notice a better sound from doing so.

Yes, you can do this. No, it won't change the sound at all. In order to make an MP3, some audio data is discarded - lost forever. You can then put the MP3 into whatever format you like, that data is gone.

To get that data back, you have to re-rip from the CD.

Will you notice a difference? Like before - maybe, maybe not. You have to decide based on what you hear.

Are there any benifits of being in flac format?

Lossless (no audio data is thrown away), compressed (smaller than the CD to save disc space and wireless network bandwidth), good tags, free, not proprietary (a vendor can never lock you into their format).

lgetz24
2008-05-30, 12:44
thanks so much. i totaly understand what u mean.