PDA

View Full Version : Strange noise coming from my receiver

SoftPhill
2008-05-29, 12:03
I have one receiver in my bedroom and we tend to listen to it very quietly at night, as a result i have noticed something strange.

I am running the receiver via optical into a sony surround amp (with Itunes ripped MP3's and i dont get this with any other av inputs.

What i hear is like this.

- nothing playing. PCM light on amp is off
- just before a song starts the PCM light comes on with a slight click and then the speakers emit a high but quiet buzz. Then the song tarts but you can still hear the buzz at low levels.
- song ends - slight click, PCM goes off, PCM comes on with a click - next song starts
-repeat

I am comvinced this is a squeezebox issue. Is it something to do with my MP3's? I rip them at 320K but i have LAME set at level 4 at 256K. Could this be something to do with it?

FredFredrickson
2008-05-29, 12:38
Since it's digital straight through- (fiber optics won't pick up "noise")

I would suggest making sure that the speaker wires and any other audio cables don't run parallel to any power cables. Sometimes just having something grounded wrong on the same power strip can cause noise in my Audio-receiver.

Try hooking the optical port to a DVD player and see if that noise is back.

Also try the coax instead.

I'd say it's unlikely a problem with the SBreceiver- unless you were getting the noise on the analog outputs- then there would be some cause for concern.

I noticed running an analog RCA cable right by the power converter for the squeezebox caused noise. I moved it a few inches and problem solved... (again, analog - not digital..)

bpa
2008-05-29, 12:42
See this thread
http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=45605

It may a Sony issue.

SoftPhill
2008-05-29, 14:35
See this thread
http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=45605

It may a Sony issue.

So what is odd though is that there is no hiss or buzz at all until the PCM light comes on and then it is in only one speaker. I seem to remember threads about the SB3 emitting some buzzing through one of the speakers. Could this be a factor?

bpa
2008-05-29, 17:22
er. I seem to remember threads about the SB3 emitting some buzzing through one of the speakers

Buzz in one speaker was analogue connections only - not optical digital.

My basic understanding of the situation based on other thread. Your Sony should not lose PCM lock as optical link is always on.

SoftPhill
2008-05-31, 00:21
Think i got to the bottom of this. Speaker was broken, doh!
Gives me the opportunity to get some retail therapy in.

I still get the click as the digital lock goes between songs but i am going to have to live with that i think until i can get a new surround amplifier