PDA

View Full Version : Amplifier remote on/off power question

SadieKate
2008-05-29, 11:57
For the electronic folks:

I have a Rotel RB956AX power amp hooked to a SqueezeBox and speakers (non-powered) in the bedroom. I'd love to be able to turn on/off everything without getting up. Is it safe to use something like those cheapo plug/switch combos you can use with a lamp and just plug the amplifier into it? I'm not sure if I should leave the amp on all the time, but I hate using the extra power not to mention the little lights glaring all night. Is there anything I can use to give me a remote on/off option?

I just discovered the sleep setting on the SqueezeBox and it's wonderful. wish I could do the same with the amp.

Thanks to anyone who can help.

SadieKate
2008-05-29, 13:19
A OneClick Intelliplug would be perfect except it sounds like the power difference between SB's version of "off" and on isn't great enough.

radish
2008-05-29, 13:28
There's not really any point in power off the SB, IMHO, it uses very little power as it is. As for the amp, there are a number of options which make use of SB/SC - take a look at these plugins (http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.php/PluginRemoteControls):

IR Blaster
Power Center
Power Switch II

SadieKate
2008-05-29, 13:45
This link? http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.php/PluginRemoteControls

I didn't find any solutions or I'm misreading.

I have a Duet (it appears I need to make sure I specify Duet not SqueezeBox which is very confusing as the controller works all SBs but not all things work with Duets) and I only use SqueezeNetwork.

The Duet powers off when I use the sleep option. At least the light turns off which is the so-called "off" mode for Duet, isn't it?

radish
2008-05-29, 13:57
I have a Duet (it appears I need to make sure I specify Duet not SqueezeBox which is very confusing as the controller works all SBs but not all things work with Duets) and I only use SqueezeNetwork.

That would have been useful information :) The SBR has no headphone port, which rules out two of the options I mentioned, and using SN means no plugins, which rules out the other one. Shame, it would be nice to have your amp automatically come on when you play something and off when you're done.

So to go manual you'll need something like X10 units (this should get you started: http://www.smarthome.com/4000.html). You'll have to use two remotes though, one to turn on the amp and the SBC to control the SBR.

What I meant by the "not worth switching off the SB" comment is that it isn't worth actually cutting the power to it as it uses so little in the first place. By all means switch it "off" using the controller, but I find pulling the power regularly is more likely to cause problems with reconnecting.

SadieKate
2008-05-29, 15:28
That would have been useful information :)

I know, I know. I'm still getting my head wrapped around all the terminology.

No plans to cut power to the receiver, just the amp. Yes, it would be nice to have had something like the Itelliplug work. I wish someone had some kind of IR plug adaptor that could be programmed to run from the Duet controller, but then I'm sure not the one to figure that out.

I'll do some reading on the Smarthome products. We use one of the cheapo $19.95 RF switches from Lowe's on a lamp but not sure if it is rates appropriately for an amp that pulling a lot more power.

Thanks so much.

radish
2008-05-29, 16:49
The X10 stuff works well and is pretty straightforward. What's nice about it is that there are many devices and they're all compatible, so you can use one controller to switch on/off multiple things (amps, lights, TV, whatever).

SadieKate
2008-05-29, 16:53
I just wish it had a sleep function. I'm notorious for nodding off before shutting things down - and can sleep through the 1812 Overture.

I was looking at some of the fancier models of similar devices that would let me program lights (for vacation periods) without having to have a separate timer on each one.

pski
2008-05-29, 18:09
I've used x10 power control for years.. my whole boathouse is remoted from anywhere in the house...

The smarthome power starter has a controller that goes to the USB on your PC. You can set schedules for each "switch."

For background: each "switch" has a house code and a device code.. all my "dock' devices are house code "D".

The older controllers (with "real physical switches") are usually set to a house code with a rotary switch. I've used this setup forever.. all the stereos in the house had the same house code and different device code... POWER all on turns on all the stereos throughout the house All Units Off turns everything off.

With the addition of the USB/software version, you can set a schedule that says.. "turn all stereos off at 12AM.." or turn this light on at 40% from 1.5 hours after dusk for 3 hours...

The important difference between the devices is that Lamp devices can be dimmed.. there are regular and heavy duty Appliance devices that are not dimmable.

Wall switch replacements and small radio to base units allow turning lights on-off as you leave or arrive. I use that at the dock so as we leave for evening rides the lights aren't on to attract bugs while we are gone... just turn the lights up as we get back into range..

Note also that radio shack has regular sales on the devices/controllers and that ANYwhere you buy X10 it will work with your other devices...

P