PDA

View Full Version : Windows 2008, SC7, AlienBBC - should I?

jimwillsher
2008-05-29, 00:48
I'm in a quandry, and I'd appreciate thoughts/comments/war stories.

I currently run SqueezeCenter 7 on a Ununtu headless server, and it works brilliantly. However I now have a second server in the house, running Windows 2008 Server.

I want to continue running the Ubuntu server as it's my mailserver, but I'm wondering about running it as a VM on the 2008 box. SO, should I...

a) Install Ubuntu as a VM on the 2008 server, and install SC7 in the Ubuntu instance

or

b) Insatll SC7 directly on the Windows 2008 server, and not run the Linux version.

For background, the Windows server is Windows 2008 x64, and I use AlienBBC and play mp3 files.

Many thanks,

Jim

mherger
2008-05-29, 01:30
> I currently run SqueezeCenter 7 on a Ununtu headless server, and it
> works brilliantly. However I now have a second server in the house,
> running Windows 2008 Server.

I'd definitely stick with Linux. And put Windows in a VM.

--

Michael

jimwillsher
2008-05-29, 01:40
Many thanks for the quick reply, but sorry, that's not an option. The Windows installation is hosting quite a lot, including three terabytes of shared files, so I don't really want all that lot in a VM (nor do I want SAMBA).

So my question still stands.

Cheers,

Jim

mherger
2008-05-29, 02:25
SC imho runs better on Linux. But I'm not sure how this compares if Linux is inside the VM. Why not just try it? A VM is quickly deleted if it proves too slow.

--

Michael

mherger
2008-05-29, 02:26
BTW: virtualizing the Linux box should be pretty straight forward if it doesn't need to do routing etc.

--

Michael

jimwillsher
2008-05-29, 04:52
Many thanks Michael. I've now got Slim on the physical Linux server to read the music from the Windows server share (via a mount in fstab) so that means any Linux VM I create can be quite small (e.g. no need for 30GB music in the VM). So that really opens up many options.

I will try Virtual Server and see how I get on!

Jim