PDA

View Full Version : SqueezeCenter 7.01 and SqueezeNetwork dependant services not working

mkanet
2008-05-28, 20:34
I installed SqueezeCenter 7.01 on a perfectly clean copy of Vista. Im accessing SqueezeCenter via SoftSqueeze provided by the SqueezeCenter install. I already have the latest Sun Java installed.

Basically the only thing that works is my local music library and free Internet music services from Shoutcast/Staff Picks, etc.

ANYTHING that has go through SqueezeNetwork gets stuck at (Connecting...) such as Pandora, Slacker, Sirius Radio.

I have already correctly registered my Softsqueeze players Pin and all the respective Music services under SqueezeNetwork.

I need help to find out why an extremely standard PC has network issues specific to anything that SqueezeNetwork has to offer. I have paid for many of these music services specifically to listen to them through softsqueeze/SqueezeCenter.

Please tell me how to fix this. It doesnt look like there is anything for me to adjust or fix that I can think of. I dont have any issues accessing the music services that are offered on Squeezenetwork if I access them directly on their webpages.

Things I've tried:

Windows Firefall is completely disabled. I dont have any firefall software running on my PC.

If I use third party music service plugins, they work correctly since they dont depend on the unreliable SqueezeNetwork.

Something is stopping me from communicating with Sqeezenetwork and I would like to know what that is ASAP.

mherger
2008-05-28, 23:33
> I have paid for
> many of these music services specifically to listen to them through
> softsqueeze/SqueezeCenter.

I'd assume you're still in the trial period?

> Please tell me how to fix this.

Get a Squeezebox. Please don't get me wrong. But Softsqueeze will never
provide the same level of reliability as the hardware. It's known to have
some issues. And if you've got the bucks to subscribe to _many_ services,
you shouldn't try saving on the hardware cost ;-).

Michael

Fleury
2008-05-29, 06:36
It is not necessarily your setup, so a little patience and all should be well. SN has been extremely flaky this past week, after working flawlessly for several months - several open threads in the forum, Andy and crew have been working on the issue. SB won't necessarily make it better (though a GREAT device!!), cause as I understand it, SN is the interface for Pandora etc. even when selected from the SB via remote control. I almost tore down my network to find out why I could only stream music library directly from my usb drive, no pandora, no mp3tunes. But lo, many others were wandering in the same wilderness...In the meanwhile try Open Pandora, nice little applet that doesn't require a browser window per se.

mkanet
2008-05-29, 09:31
It has nothing to do with cost. You can't do this with a squeezebox. I control everything via my TV remote on my TV; which is much more convenient.

http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h283/mkanet/5.jpg

Anyway, it looks like the problem needs to be fixed regardless; as all of this stuff used to work much better before Logitech got a hold of software development.

> I have paid for
> many of these music services specifically to listen to them through
> softsqueeze/SqueezeCenter.

I'd assume you're still in the trial period?

> Please tell me how to fix this.

Get a Squeezebox. Please don't get me wrong. But Softsqueeze will never
provide the same level of reliability as the hardware. It's known to have
some issues. And if you've got the bucks to subscribe to _many_ services,
you shouldn't try saving on the hardware cost ;-).

Michael

mkanet
2008-05-29, 09:34
I already use openpandora occasionally, but definitely not the same thing as using my TV and TV remote to control everything (Movies, DVR, Pandora, Music library, etc). This is a far superior solution to a Squeezebox, or anything else out right now.. that is if squeezecenter/squeezenetwork work correctly.

http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h283/mkanet/5.jpg

It is not necessarily your setup, so a little patience and all should be well. SN has been extremely flaky this past week, after working flawlessly for several months - several open threads in the forum, Andy and crew have been working on the issue. SB won't necessarily make it better (though a GREAT device!!), cause as I understand it, SN is the interface for Pandora etc. even when selected from the SB via remote control. I almost tore down my network to find out why I could only stream music library directly from my usb drive, no pandora, no mp3tunes. But lo, many others were wandering in the same wilderness...In the meanwhile try Open Pandora, nice little applet that doesn't require a browser window per se.

kdf
2008-05-29, 10:12
> Anyway, it looks like the problem needs to be fixed regardless; as all
> of this stuff used to work much better before Logitech got a hold of
> software development.

Many of the paid service access features didn't exist before the Logitech
merger. And as one of the sometimes software contributors, Logitech
hasn't changed much at all as far as policies. The only real difference
is an increase in paid employees who are able to meet regularly and work
full time on the code.

The only Logitech stamp would be the branding and colour schemes. The feed
to softsqueeze just isn't up to snuff when it comes to online services.
It's not what you want to read (not really what I like to say), but it's
fact.

-kdf

mkanet
2008-05-29, 10:34
Yes. Thanks for clarifying. Bottom line is when using a 3rd party plugin such as Sirius Radio for Sqyeezecenter/Slimserver, it just works fine. But as soon as squeezenetwork tries to get in the middle of it, they can't do this correctly, and no matter how many logitech employees they throw at squeezenetwork, there always seems to be an issue with it. Music services going through Squeezenetwork is just a baaaad idea; and needs to be re-done from the ground up.

> Anyway, it looks like the problem needs to be fixed regardless; as all
> of this stuff used to work much better before Logitech got a hold of
> software development.

Many of the paid service access features didn't exist before the Logitech
merger. And as one of the sometimes software contributors, Logitech
hasn't changed much at all as far as policies. The only real difference
is an increase in paid employees who are able to meet regularly and work
full time on the code.

The only Logitech stamp would be the branding and colour schemes. The feed
to softsqueeze just isn't up to snuff when it comes to online services.
It's not what you want to read (not really what I like to say), but it's
fact.

-kdf

radish
2008-05-29, 10:54
Yes. Thanks for clarifying. Bottom line is when using a 3rd party plugin such as Sirius Radio for Sqyeezecenter/Slimserver, it just works fine. But as soon as squeezenetwork tries to get in the middle of it, they can't do this correctly, and no matter how many logitech employees they throw at squeezenetwork, there always seems to be an issue with it. Music services going through Squeezenetwork is just a baaaad idea; and needs to be re-done from the ground up.

It's not an issue with SN, it's an issue with Softsqueeze - which is why the devs are currently hard at work on a replacement (SqueezePlay). SN works just fine with the hardware players, which is after all what it's designed for.

mkanet
2008-05-29, 11:11
Radish, how do you know they are hard at work replacing softsqueeze?

Where can I download the daily build of the next version of Softsqueeze? I active development of Squeezecenter (even months before it's release). It doesnt look like softsqueeze has changed as long as I've been using it. I think the only thing that changed was it's skin. It makes sense that since the introduction of music based services to squeezenetwork and that softsqueeze hasnt changed at all... that nothing works correctly except for local music and old fashioned shoutcast type music services.

It's not an issue with SN, it's an issue with Softsqueeze - which is why the devs are currently hard at work on a replacement (SqueezePlay). SN works just fine with the hardware players, which is after all what it's designed for.

dcote
2008-05-29, 11:47
mknet, you are aware of the fact that softsqueeze is not in fact a slimdevices/logitech product, but is (was?) a 3rd party product delveloped by richard titmuss? check here:

http://softsqueeze.sourceforge.net/

that it is included in the slimserver package is for your convenience only.

i have to agree with the other guys in this thread: softsqueeze is great for testing stuff etc. but not much more. personally, i still use winamp or foobar to play my audio files on my PCs, just because they work better. ;-)

(no offense richard, softsqueeze is still vital to the community! :-)

Goodsounds
2008-05-29, 11:56
mkanet,

Have you purchased any Slim Devices products, or are you simply using the product-enabling software which is furnished without charge?

mkanet
2008-05-29, 12:04
Yes, I have used a squeezebox before; and, in my opinion, completely inferior to the softsqueeze type products out there with better interfaces. I pay for all my music services already; and wouldnt mind paying for a software that works correctly. If Logitech chooses to charge or not charge, thats okay by me. I just would like what they distribute to work reliably.

mkanet,

Have you purchased any Slim Devices products, or are you simply using the product-enabling software which is furnished without charge?

mkanet
2008-05-29, 12:08
Yes, I'm a long time user of softsqueeze and similar products which work with Slimserver/Squeezecenter; and, actually the primary reason I even use SC. Not, because it's free; but, because there's more functionality in software based clients which use softsqueeze-type clients. Yeah thats really too bad. The only reason I use SC is for softsqueeze distributed with it. Everything works, except for anything that has to do with squeezenetwork.

mknet, you are aware of the fact that softsqueeze is not in fact a slimdevices/logitech product, but is (was?) a 3rd party product delveloped by richard titmuss? check here:

http://softsqueeze.sourceforge.net/

that it is included in the slimserver package is for your convenience only.

i have to agree with the other guys in this thread: softsqueeze is great for testing stuff etc. but not much more. personally, i still use winamp or foobar to play my audio files on my PCs, just because they work better. ;-)

(no offense richard, softsqueeze is still vital to the community! :-)

Goodsounds
2008-05-29, 12:15
I believe it is fair to say that the software is principally produced by the company to operate the hardware they sell, although they have been very generous and supportive to do so in an unusually "open" way that encourages third-party collaboration. However, in the end, the company's business is to develop and sell hardware.

So is the answer to my question "No" ?

mkanet
2008-05-29, 12:34
Goodsounds, I respectfully think it's not your place to judge how or why they distribute a software-only solution in addition to their hardware product they sell. So, the answer to your question isn't "No", it's.... "If you want to help out, try asking a more useful question".

I believe it is fair to say that the software is principally produced by the company to operate the hardware they sell, although they have been very generous and supportive to do so in an unusually "open" way that encourages third-party collaboration. However, in the end, the company's business is to develop and sell hardware.

So is the answer to my question "No" ?

Goodsounds
2008-05-29, 12:59
Ha - I'm not judging the company. Far from it. I have twice purchased their products and I think they're great.

But I now better understand your perspective. It would seem that you don't understand what all this is about, but I'm ok with that.

mkanet
2008-05-29, 13:06
Yes, I understand what "you" think its all about. But I'm ok with that too. I would be nice to get actually technical help though.

Ha - I'm not judging the company. Far from it. I have twice purchased their products and I think they're great.

But I now better understand your perspective. It would seem that you don't understand what all this is about, but I'm ok with that.

kdf
2008-05-29, 13:10
>
> Radish, how do you know they are hard at work replacing softsqueeze?

It's been posted a number of times. Look for posts regarding audio
playback for SqueezePlay

> Where can I download the daily build of the next version of
> Softsqueeze?

There is no next version of Softsqueeze. what you see now is the end of
the line.

SqueezeOS and SqueezePlay (former being the software for the Controller,
latter is a desktop version of the UI/Audio software that you see on the
Controller) are the replacements. SqueezeOS is already available with
Squeezebox Duet or the Squeezebox Controller. SqueezePlay can be built
from current code, but does not yet support audio playback. This is
scheduled in conjuction with SC 7.2.

if you get yourself a subversion client, you can check out the software
and build:
http://svn.slimdevices.com/repos/jive/7.2/trunk/squeezeplay/

The version in 7.2 already has basic audio playback support. See the wiki
for some basic instructions on how to build it for your OS. Windows
builds are a bit tricky, but the wiki will be updated soon. If you check
svn regularly, or join the checkins mailing lists then you will see JUST
how actively developers are working.

cheers,
kdf

andyg
2008-05-29, 13:13
Please post a log file of the playback failures. Enable plugin.pandora (or plugin.slacker, plugin.sirius, whichever you're having problems with), player.streaming.direct, player.streaming.remote, and player.source. You'll find these on the Settings -> Advanced -> Logging page.

mkanet
2008-05-29, 13:24
Hey Andy, thanks for chiming in. You actually brought me luck! When you posted this message coincidentally, I found one of your posts from a while back helping someone... you told them to select "Proxied Streaming" for their player. Well, this fixed it! At least for my SSH'ed client machine at work. Thanks for your help.

Edit: Sirius radio is still broken, but I confirmed with Anoop that this is a known and reproducable bug.

Please post a log file of the playback failures. Enable plugin.pandora (or plugin.slacker, plugin.sirius, whichever you're having problems with), player.streaming.direct, player.streaming.remote, and player.source. You'll find these on the Settings -> Advanced -> Logging page.

andyg
2008-05-29, 13:25
Did you mention you were using SSH? That would explain a lot, if you can't directly access mp3 files from your work network or something.

mkanet
2008-05-29, 13:29
Actually, I originally started this thread from home, I was having the same issue (I dont have SSH at home). I am hopeful that I can try proxied streaming on my client in hopes it fixes some kind of weird networking issue through my router.

Did you mention you were using SSH? That would explain a lot, if you can't directly access mp3 files from your work network or something.

radish
2008-05-29, 13:36
Radish, how do you know they are hard at work replacing softsqueeze?

http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.php/SqueezePlay

mkanet
2008-05-29, 15:42
The proxied setting worked like a charm on my home machine too! I had no idea that this needed to be set for machines behind a firewall even with TCP/UDP ports 3483/9000 already enabled.

andyg
2008-05-29, 15:53
Anyone running a restrictive firewall that blocks outgoing HTTP connections should hardly be surprised when applications can't connect to things.

mkanet
2008-05-29, 16:01
Thats definitely true. Except, I'm not restricting outbound TCP/UDP ports. I only poke holes in my firewall for stuff coming in (ie WWW, SSH, HTTPs, 3483/9000). The only explanation I have is my hardware firefall didnt like the way UDP/TCP ports were being utilized by SC through squeezenetwork-->music service.. thinking its some kind of security threat (ie, going to a music service indirectly proxying off of the squeezenetwork site).

It might be a good idea to have this in the FAQ's for people who have hardware firewall with aggressive protection enabled.

Anyone running a restrictive firewall that blocks outgoing HTTP connections should hardly be surprised when applications can't connect to things.

andyg
2008-05-29, 16:09
What does your firewall log show? Was it blocking anything?

As far as it's concerned, it should just see HTTP GET requests for mp3 files, in the case of Pandora and Slacker.

mkanet
2008-05-29, 16:15
I dont have any kind of useful logging feature. I am almost certain the problem has something to do with one of these settings:

http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h283/mkanet/sec.jpg

What does your firewall log show? Was it blocking anything?

As far as it's concerned, it should just see HTTP GET requests for mp3 files, in the case of Pandora and Slacker.

andyg
2008-05-29, 16:16
Well I'm sure you can figure it out, just disable stuff until direct streaming starts to work.

mkanet
2008-05-29, 16:35
That was the first thing I tried with version SC 7.00. That didnt work. If I remember correctly, I even tried proxied mode as well for the player and it didnt help either. I remember spending hours of trial and error with this. All I know is as soon as I upgraded to 7.01 and selected proxied streaming, it worked immediately. Only this specific combination fixed it all. Everything works perfectly without any glitches.

Well I'm sure you can figure it out, just disable stuff until direct streaming starts to work.

mkanet
2008-05-29, 16:38
Anyhow... for those of you who think I was trying to be cheap (or making a big deal uncessarily) by not getting a Squeezebox, couldnt be more wrong. When your HDTV flatscreen TV/DVR with seemless integration to SC services using a simple remote control can do the below, you'd probably understand better why I woudn't want to use a standalone squeezebox. :)

kdf
2008-05-29, 16:54
>
> seemless integration to
> SC services using a simple remote control can do the below, you'd
> probably understand better why I wouldn't want to use a standalone
> squeezebox. :)

So, SC isn't such a POS after all since it allow such seemless integration
with the applications of your choice and with the platforms of your
choice. The only price is, by doing so, you put the burden on yourself
for figuring out just exactly what needs to be done to make it work with
the custom setup. Sounds like you now have, so all can rejoice.

-kdf

mkanet
2008-05-29, 17:08
Yeah, for whatever it's worth, I do feel bad for calling it a POS; and renamed to title. I still think that Logitech should prepare for a potential market and profit for the software side of things as "Media Center" solutions become more common in households.

>
> seemless integration to
> SC services using a simple remote control can do the below, you'd
> probably understand better why I wouldn't want to use a standalone
> squeezebox. :)

So, SC isn't such a POS after all since it allow such seemless integration
with the applications of your choice and with the platforms of your
choice. The only price is, by doing so, you put the burden on yourself
for figuring out just exactly what needs to be done to make it work with
the custom setup. Sounds like you now have, so all can rejoice.

-kdf

damager
2008-05-29, 20:58
When you are looking for free support from a company and a user community in which you have invested 0 (zero) in terms of purchases or other investment, don't title your request with "What a POS!" in your title.

If you need more explanation on this, then you need more help than I can provide.

mkanet
2008-05-29, 21:01
Thanks, for the suggestion. I already tried to change it. Forum wont let me change the title.

When you are looking for free support from a company and a user community in which you have invested 0 (zero) in terms of purchases or other investment, don't title your request with "What a POS!" in your title.

If you need more explanation on this, then you need more help than I can provide.

Goodsounds
2008-05-29, 22:09
Anyhow... for those of you who think I was trying to be cheap (or making a big deal uncessarily) by not getting a Squeezebox, couldnt be more wrong. When your HDTV flatscreen TV/DVR with seemless integration to SC services using a simple remote control can do the below, you'd probably understand better why I woudn't want to use a standalone squeezebox. :)

http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h283/mkanet/sage2.jpg

I think you are more impressed with you than others are.

If your employer gave away its products and/or services for no charge, it would have no money with which to pay you. I don't suppose you work for free, do you?

I applaud Andy for his patience and for even giving you the time of day. Customer service is for customers.

mkanet
2008-05-29, 22:37
I admit, I shouldn't have titled the thread the way I did initially; and asked Andy to change the title as soon as I realized I couldnt change the title myself.

Do you regularly troll these forums posting only your opinions, or do you actually have something technically useful to contribute for users in need of help? Maybe this was just an isolated bad example of your contribution to this forum. People are people, and they may say things that may rub people the wrong way. I certainly didnt word my initial post in the most tactful way.

Yes, Andy is a very patient and hard working person with a primary focus to help people in need.

I think you are more impressed with you than others are.

If your employer gave away its products and/or services for no charge, it would have no money with which to pay you. I don't suppose you work for free, do you?

I applaud Andy for his patience and for even giving you the time of day. Customer service is for customers.

andyg
2008-05-30, 08:25
Checked in a fix, Sirius now works with Softsqueeze.

mkanet
2008-05-30, 10:49
Great Andy. So, what do I need to do to use it? Currently with what I have it just says connecting... with the Vista hourglasses repeatedly trying to connect. Is there a software update I need to download?

Thanks a million!

Checked in a fix, Sirius now works with Softsqueeze.

andyg
2008-05-30, 10:51
Grab tonight's nightly build.

mkanet
2008-05-30, 10:53
Thanks again!

Grab tonight's nightly build.

mkanet
2008-05-31, 10:38
I can confirm that the latest version of SqueezeCenter 7.02 fixes Sirius Radio. All music services I have tried work correctly! Thanks Andy for the quick fix.

jeebers
2008-05-31, 12:12
I'm in the UK and have been able to use Pandora through SC/SN even though Pandora has had to cut off UK access, presumably as SN acts as a proxy. Since I've upgraded to 7.01 the menu items have disappeared from SC - is there any way to get them back other than going back to 7.0?

I miss Pandora... :-( (Not to mention I've paid for it!!!)

EDIT - worked it out, I just needed to change the country in SN. Lovely stuff.

mkanet
2008-05-31, 12:27
I'm not sure what menu items youre talking about about, but the best way to upgrade without introducing upgrade related issues, you need to do the following:

Uninstall SC from Programs and Features (add/remove for XP). Delete Squeezecenter program folder under "C:\Program Files" and also the C:\ProgramData\SqueezeCenter (if you're using Vista).

You might as well get the latest and greatest version 7.02. The absolute latest version from last night resolved a relatively major issue for the new Sirius Radio feature (for those of us who use more advanced software based clients verses hardware players).

Grab it here:

http://www.slimdevices.com/downloads/nightly/latest/7.0/SqueezeCenter-7.0.2-20378.exe

I'm in the UK and have been able to use Pandora through SC/SN even though Pandora has had to cut off UK access, presumably as SN acts as a proxy. Since I've upgraded to 7.01 the menu items have disappeared from SC - is there any way to get them back other than going back to 7.0?

I miss Pandora... :-( (Not to mention I've paid for it!!!)

msherman
2008-05-31, 13:00
mkanet wrote:
> Thanks, for the suggestion. I already tried to change it. Forum wont
> let me change the title.

What a POS!

- Marc

mherger
2008-05-31, 22:52
> I'm not sure what menu items youre talking about about, but the best way
> to upgrade without introducing upgrade related issues, you need to do
> the following:

What you describe is how to install from scratch, not an update/upgrade.

> Uninstall SC from Programs and Features (add/remove for XP). Delete
> Squeezecenter program folder under "C:\Program Files" and also the
> C:\ProgramData\SqueezeCenter (if you're using Vista).

You don't need to do any of this for an update. Just install on top.

Unless you try to fix a broken installation by replacing it with something more recent.

--

Michael