PDA

View Full Version : Missing artists after complete scan in 7.0.1

advocaat
2008-05-28, 08:05
Hi,

Last night I have upgraded my SC to the official 701 release. I have done a de-install and re-install of this version.

After installation I have done a complete scan of my music library. What I see now is that I do not have a complete list when brwosing artists. The scanner skipped a lot of artists.

I have organized my music library in windows with a folder per artist and below that a folder for each album. For the artists I miss in SC I do not have any album, e.g. "Dire Straits" with 8 albums is not in the SC library at all.

I never had this problem with previous versions of SC and I have not changed any settings.

Anyone else with this experience?
Or do you have tips what can be the problem or how to analyze the problem?

Thanks!

slimkid
2008-05-28, 08:14
Hi,

Last night I have upgraded my SC to the official 701 release. I have done a de-install and re-install of this version.

After installation I have done a complete scan of my music library. What I see now is that I do not have a complete list when brwosing artists. The scanner skipped a lot of artists.

I have organized my music library in windows with a folder per artist and below that a folder for each album. For the artists I miss in SC I do not have any album, e.g. "Dire Straits" with 8 albums is not in the SC library at all.

I never had this problem with previous versions of SC and I have not changed any settings.

Anyone else with this experience?
Or do you have tips what can be the problem or how to analyze the problem?

Thanks!

try deleting the cache and doing a clean re-scan.

K

advocaat
2008-05-28, 08:56
Hi slimkid,

After de-install of the previous version of SC I deleted the complete cache folder because of old links that were shown in SC.

It does not help me, still missing all albums of specific artists. So it must have something to do with the scanning functionality of this particular version of SC.

Any help welcome!

slimkid
2008-05-28, 13:28
Hi slimkid,

After de-install of the previous version of SC I deleted the complete cache folder because of old links that were shown in SC.

It does not help me, still missing all albums of specific artists. So it must have something to do with the scanning functionality of this particular version of SC.

Any help welcome!

Well,

something similar happened to me a while ago. Noticed that some albums simply weren't available. But also, I could not see them in windows explorer, even though I knew I had them. I could got into them typing the path into the address bar. Turned out that directories had somehow got 'hidden' flag turned on. I attributed it to buggy OS (Win 2000) or buggy tagger (mp3tag), or some slimserver (6.5.0. at the time) quirk, but never really got the real answer.

Can you navigate to Dire Straits directory using 'browse music dir' from client or server browser? Do they play?

K

advocaat
2008-05-28, 14:01
Hi K

Also that is not the case. All the artists with albums are visible in windows explorer and playable.

I was thinking that maybe it has to do something with rights in windows vista but I am not fameliar with that.

I am a liitle bit desperate now that I cannot solve this.

relen
2008-05-29, 03:39
I had a version of this experience when upgrading from 7.0.0 to 7.0.1 (Intel Mac Mini, OS 10.4.x) - but much, much worse.

I had added a single album and requested a "new and changed" scan. Unusually I did not hear any significant disk access and the operation appeared to complete very quickly. Looking at "New Music" the new album was not visible.

I have had a situation in the past where after an upgrade I have to clear and rescan the entire library. This is not trivial for me as it takes a while. So I tried that. The library duly vanished.

Unfortunately it did not reappear. No major disk accesses this time either, which is not possible as the library is large and takes 30+ minutes to scan normally. It appeared to complete in a minute or two, and had discovered only 19 albums from the library. However I could see everything by selecting "Music Folder" so permissions etc were not the issue (and anyway 7.0.0 could see everything).

At this point, with a few minutes before I was supposed to be using the system to run an automated radio playlist, I simply decided to downgrade back to 7.0.0. This did the trick, although I still had to do a complete rescan (it started it automatically) and it appears to have found everything including the new album. Luckily a colleague was able to cover me for the couple of hours it took me to get on the air.

I would hazard a guess that the scanner doesn't like something fairly common in my library - maybe certain characters in a file- or foldername or something - and this causes the scanner to fail more or less immediately. It is apparently a problem introduced between 7.0.0 and 7.0.1. I wonder if the same issue is happening in your case, but you have fewer oddities of whatever kind causes the scanner to throw up.

In the old days when this was just my home music system I used to live on the edge and run nightlies all the time, where occurrences like this were simply a matter (usually) of waiting a day or two for the nightly that fixed somebody's inadvertent slip of the finger, inevitable in a complex system. However now I am using the system professionally most days of the week and rely on it to do what I expect, I have played safe and only installed official release versions. I was thus rather surprised to see that something apparently of this level of criticality has occurred in a release version (I say "apparently" because it is of course possible that this is a problem more or less unique to my setup).

I couldn't immediately find anyone reporting exactly this issue, but this topic seemed to represent the one most closely similar to my experience.

Anyone got any info on this? Thanks!

--Richard E

pski
2008-05-29, 18:39
I don't know the difference when starting a scan from the basic page and doing it from the "advanced rescan" page but I've always had better luck doing a "clear and rescan" from the "advanced rescan" page...

P

advocaat
2008-05-31, 11:26
Hi,

What I discovered now is that from the SC interface when browsing folders I do not see all the folders in my music directory.

When I go to settings and browse for folders in the field for the music directory then I miss a lot of folders. So my music is in E:\music\...
but I miss folders there.

In Windows Explorer I see them and they are not hidden.

Exactly those folders I miss also in my SC music library. The albums and artists in those folders are not present after scanning.

What can be the problem, something with vista rights??

Any idea is welcome.

Enoch Soames
2008-06-24, 05:09
I discovered a week or so back that I'm missing a number of artist folders. I can access and play them via the controller by browsing 'music folders,' but in the regular artist listings on Squeezecenter and the controller they're invisible. I can find individual albums in those folders when I browse "Albums," but the 'Artist' folders are missing.

Les Baxter's 'Artist' folder, to cite one example. I've deleted the folder, rescanned, then put it back in and scanned yet again. No luck.

I've done several clean installs, including tossing out the cache folders, but still no luck. I had been using the beta 7.0.2, and was updating it most nights. Tossed that last night, and went back to the official 7.0.1 release. Still no Les Baxter (and others).

At the moment I'm running Squeezecenter 7.0.2 (v. 20990?) on an older non-Intel iMac, using OSX 10.5.3. If anyone has any suggestions, I'd be grateful.

Here's a chunk of the scanner log if that will help:

[08-06-24 06:54:40.4487] MP3::Info::_grab_int_16 (2125) Warning: substr outside of string at /Library/PreferencePanes/SqueezeCenter.prefPane/Contents/server/lib/MP3/Info.pm line 2125, <$fh> line 1.
[08-06-24 06:54:40.4495] MP3::Info::_parse_v2tag (718) Warning: Use of uninitialized value in hash element at /Library/PreferencePanes/SqueezeCenter.prefPane/Contents/server/lib/MP3/Info.pm line 718, <$fh> line 1.
[08-06-24 06:54:40.4502] MP3::Info::_parse_v2tag (721) Warning: Use of uninitialized value in substr at /Library/PreferencePanes/SqueezeCenter.prefPane/Contents/server/lib/MP3/Info.pm line 721, <$fh> line 1.
[08-06-24 06:54:40.4508] MP3::Info::_parse_v2tag (721) Warning: Use of uninitialized value in substr at /Library/PreferencePanes/SqueezeCenter.prefPane/Contents/server/lib/MP3/Info.pm line 721, <$fh> line 1.
[08-06-24 06:56:22.6390] MP3::Info::_grab_uint_16 (2132) Warning: substr outside of string at /Library/PreferencePanes/SqueezeCenter.prefPane/Contents/server/lib/MP3/Info.pm line 2132, <$fh> line 1.
[08-06-24 06:56:22.6398] MP3::Info::_parse_v2tag (741) Warning: Use of uninitialized value in division (/) at /Library/PreferencePanes/SqueezeCenter.prefPane/Contents/server/lib/MP3/Info.pm line 741, <$fh> line 1.
[08-06-24 06:56:22.6409] MP3::Info::_grab_uint_16 (2131) Warning: Use of uninitialized value in substr at /Library/PreferencePanes/SqueezeCenter.prefPane/Contents/server/lib/MP3/Info.pm line 2131, <$fh> line 1.
[08-06-24 06:56:22.6416] MP3::Info::_grab_uint_16 (2132) Warning: Use of uninitialized value in substr at /Library/PreferencePanes/SqueezeCenter.prefPane/Contents/server/lib/MP3/Info.pm line 2132, <$fh> line 1.
[08-06-24 06:56:22.6422] MP3::Info::_grab_uint_16 (2132) Warning: substr outside of string at /Library/PreferencePanes/SqueezeCenter.prefPane/Contents/server/lib/MP3/Info.pm line 2132, <$fh> line 1.
[08-06-24 06:56:22.6428] MP3::Info::_parse_v2tag (741) Warning: Use of uninitialized value in division (/) at /Library/PreferencePanes/SqueezeCenter.prefPane/Contents/server/lib/MP3/Info.pm line 741, <$fh> line 1.