PDA

View Full Version : I know the new Slim Device I want to see

bigfool1956
2008-05-28, 05:08
behold the Squeezebox Personal (SBP): (see next post)

bigfool1956
2008-05-28, 05:15
basically this is a pair of good quality headphones with a squeezebox receiver and amp built in. Powered by a mobile battery, as per the SBC, and with an appropriate charging cradle. (I pinched a piccy of the AKG 940 phones for this composite)

I got the idea bacause I have had a less than satisfactory experience with the AKG headphones

http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=47652

so I was googling around for something different and I came across this VERY interesting product from a German company:

http://www.amphony.com/products/h2500.htm

which seem to be not distributed in the UK or Austria, but are in the US.

A logical progression from these phones to the Squeezebox Personal then popped out of me bonce!

I would buy one a pair in a second, if they were available.

dsendecki
2008-05-28, 06:59
Those headphones get good reviews!

But wouldn't it be cheaper/more advantageous to plug them into the Squeezebox Controller and forego the whole wireless thing? I understand the controller has a DAC built in.

I just ordered their 5.8 GHz DIGITAL Wireless Audio Transmitter/Amplifier to connect a pair of outdoor speakers to a squeezebox receiver without having to run wires outside.

I'm hoping that their 5.8 GHz transmitter wont' interfere with my wireless network and that it'll sound nice. Not sure if it'll work the wireless > analog > wireless jump may complicate things, ie I'm not expecting the sync to be perfect, for example.

Will post a review when I receive them!

bigfool1956
2008-05-28, 07:28
One thing I really like about wireless phones is the, erm, lack of wire. Once the headphone-out of the SBC is activated, it will be a great thing, but you will still be chained to it by a wire, and it's pretty large to stick in your pocket.

Any wireless issues would be the same for the SBC as for the headphones, perhaps more so as the SBC has a really small antenna, whereas the antenna for headphones can be quite large if it traverses the headband.

Of course you would want high quality circumaural phones, and not the nasty computer phones that Logitech make for Skype and other computer use. Maybe Amphony would be a good partner for such a venture.

Actually as Slimcenter and Slimproto are open source, Amphony could make their own compatible phones, but then they wouldn't have Sean's talent involved in the design.

At the end of the day, all the Slim Devices stuff gives you lots and lots of options, and this is another option that I personally would love. If I'm the only person in the market for such a product, then it ain't gonna happen.

iPhone
2008-05-28, 08:17
One thing I really like about wireless phones is the, erm, lack of wire. Once the headphone-out of the SBC is activated, it will be a great thing, but you will still be chained to it by a wire, and it's pretty large to stick in your pocket.

Any wireless issues would be the same for the SBC as for the headphones, perhaps more so as the SBC has a really small antenna, whereas the antenna for headphones can be quite large if it traverses the headband.

Of course you would want high quality circumaural phones, and not the nasty computer phones that Logitech make for Skype and other computer use. Maybe Amphony would be a good partner for such a venture.

Actually as Slimcenter and Slimproto are open source, Amphony could make their own compatible phones, but then they wouldn't have Sean's talent involved in the design.

At the end of the day, all the Slim Devices stuff gives you lots and lots of options, and this is another option that I personally would love. If I'm the only person in the market for such a product, then it ain't gonna happen.

First (for dsendecki), a 5.6GHz wireless system should not interfere with your Duet or LAN. The Duet is wireless LAN G at 2.4GHz.

Next, why in the world would Slim Devices package such a product? All this is currently available and more importantly it is already available as separates. So all one does is setup their Duet, charge their headphones (quality and expense of ones choice), then select music with the SBC.

The SBC will last much longer on its battery this way because it is not driving headphones or processing any music. I have this setup two different way in the house. I have a pair of nice rechargeable wireless headphones doing this completely wireless. They are good for walking around and working while listening to tunes. I also have a wireless transmitter (using the Transporter RCA outs) that sends the source to a wireless receiver that has a headphone amp built into it. I am free to walk about but there is a cord from the wireless receiver on my belt to the headphones (this system had much more range and can play louder). The advantage here is that I can use any of my headphones with the receiver and I don't have to worry about charging the headphones (just change out the rechargeable batteries in the receiver).

So why would Slim Devices waste time on something that is already well covered? And lastly, they are planning to turn the headphone jack on inside the SBC. No need to team up with anybody and keyhole everybody into a specific model of headphones. As for the SBC in your pocket, I have found a solution for that. I carry my SBC around in one of my old cell phone holsters. It protects it from falls and I can always find it because its on my belt.

Is it convenient to just buy everything in one package? It can be, but again why box oneself in when one can already buy all this separately from multiple manufactures (picking the best or setting ones own price point).

bigfool1956
2008-05-28, 08:30
iPhone, what is the wireless transmitter -> receiver/headphone amp you are using? I haven't seen such a product around, and it sounds very interesting.

Nonreality
2008-05-29, 04:17
Bigfool I like the idea. If they could keep it under $200 US I'd be in as long as the headphones were good. Maybe $250 Wireless and not have to carry another device is the key iphone.