PDA

View Full Version : Squeeze Center Starting...."Unable To Write To:"

TortugaRanger
2008-05-26, 17:54
Sometime over the labor day weekend I started getting "Unable To Write To:" error msg when SC starts up. I have Vista-64 and it's all been working great until just now. I deleted recent program loads and also deleted my virus program (Avast) but no joy. Also, unloaded and reloaded SC and no change.

What does this error msg mean? "Unable to write to:" what?

Since I really didn't change any software/hardware when this started to happen, is there anything that changed on the SD/Logitech end of things around 5.24 or 5.25?

Please note that the Squeeze Network access works fine...Rhapsody etc.

Help!! I'm locked out from my library.

mherger
2008-05-26, 23:33
> Sometime over the labor day weekend I started getting "Unable To Write
> To:" error msg when SC starts up.

How does this message look like? At what moment do you get it?

I haven't found any occurence of this string in our software. Thus I'm not sure what could display it.

--

Michael

TortugaRanger
2008-05-27, 05:01
It occurs almost immediately upon launching the SC application. It's highly repeatable. A small message box pops up on middle of screen with the text inside that reads...."Unable To Write To:" Very cryptic. There are no more clues that I can discern except that the application remains in a perpetual state of "Squeeze Center is starting"....only it never does. I wonder if it's generated by the MySQL database engine perhaps?

mherger
2008-05-27, 05:15
> It occurs almost immediately upon launching the SC application. It's
> highly repeatable. A small message box pops up on middle of screen with
> the text inside that reads...."Unable To Write To:" Very cryptic. There
> are no more clues that I can discern except that the application remains

What's the window's title? Do you have a screenshot?

--

Michael

slydog75
2008-05-27, 05:38
I saw this exact message the other day on Vista 32bit when I was trying to figure out my other issues. It occured when I deleted the C:\Program Data\SqueezeCenter folder and then tried to run SqueezeCenter. But for me uninstalling and reinstalling the application fixed it.

TortugaRanger
2008-05-27, 05:47
Here is a screenshot with the error message box. FYI, I've uninstalled the program and deleted all related data - to the extent I know how to...from ProgramData....and then reinstalled program. This has not cleared up the problem.

mherger
2008-05-27, 23:59
> Here is a screenshot with the error message box.

Ok, I have found out where it's coming from. It's the tray icon. Though I don't know how it can end up with an empty value in that message. It should display some path instead.

In the All Users folder you've mentioned you should find a shortcut called "SqueezeCenter Web Interface". Can you rename this without the need to enter your password?

--

Michael

guenther
2008-05-28, 09:01
I got the same problem when I installed SqueezeCenter 7 (and 7.01) on XP Home SP2 (now SP3).

When I log in as admin everything works fine. When I log in as a user and want to start SqueezeCenter I get the "Unable to write to:" message. Then I click "OK" and the tray icon starts up, SQUEE~1.EXE is running.

But it's not possible to open SqueezeCenter, only an error message occurs:
"C:\Programme\SqueezeCenter\server\SqueezeCenter Web Interface.url" konnte nicht gefunden werden....

Guenther

mherger
2008-05-28, 23:07
> When I log in as admin everything works fine. When I log in as a user
> and want to start SqueezeCenter I get the "Unable to write to:"
> message.

Excellent piece of information! Can you tell me what the permission
settings on that file are?

Michael

mherger
2008-05-28, 23:11
> When I log in as admin everything works fine. When I log in as a user
> and want to start SqueezeCenter I get the "Unable to write to:"

That's now bug 8265 - please add any additional information:
http://bugs.slimdevices.com/show_bug.cgi?id=8265

Thanks!

guenther
2008-05-29, 01:52
The permission settings on C:\Programme\SqueezeCenter\server\SqueezeCenter for users are: read, execute - read, for admin no limitations.
The permission settings on C:\Dokumente und Einstellungen\All Users\Anwendungsdaten\SqueezeCenter\SqueezeCenter Web Interface.url for users are: change - read, execute - read - write, for admin no limitations.

I have no idea what the "Unable to write to:" message refers to. Could be a settings file.

Guenther

mherger
2008-05-29, 02:28
> I have no idea what the "Unable to write to:" message refers to. Could
> be a settings file.

SqueezeTray is trying to update that file in case the server's port or other has changed. I will have to improve this behaviour.

--

Michael

mherger
2008-05-30, 02:35
Ok, at least I've found out why the error message doesn't show the details. I've fixed the issue. Please update to the latest nightly build

(http://www.slimdevices.com/downloads/nightly/latest/7.0/SqueezeCenter-7.0.2-20328.exe or later) and try again. What's the error message now?

It should show the file it's trying to write. Could you please verify the permissions on that file? Would you be allowed to manually change/rename that file or would it fail, too?

mherger
2008-05-30, 04:00
One more question: what kind of user are you using? Admin, standard, or guest?

--

Michael

guenther
2008-05-30, 21:36
I installed SqueezeCenter 7.02-20328 and now I get the complete error message:

Unable to write to: C:\Programme\SqueezeCenter\server\SqueezeCenter Web Interface.url: Permission denied

Both SqueezeTray.exe and SQUEEZ~1.EXE run as my user (ga) which has sufficient permissions. I created this user as admin.

Guenther

mherger
2008-05-30, 23:15
> Unable to write to: C:\Programme\SqueezeCenter\server\SqueezeCenter Web
> Interface.url: Permission denied
>
> Both SqueezeTray.exe and SQUEEZ~1.EXE run as my user (ga) which has
> sufficient permissions.

Which means you actually have the above file and can edit/rename/delete it with this user?

--

Michael

guenther
2008-05-31, 03:35
I just renamed and deleted SqueezeCenter Web Interface.url as unprivileged user (ga). I can even start SqueezeCenter by clicking on the icon of SqueezeCenter Web Interface.url! It starts up in german according to the settings of admin (the tray icon's menu is in english).

mherger
2008-05-31, 04:33
> I just renamed and deleted SqueezeCenter Web Interface.url as
> unprivileged user (ga). I can even start SqueezeCenter by clicking on

And is it in the exact place the message box said?

> the icon of SqueezeCenter Web Interface.url! It starts up in german
> according to the settings of admin (the tray icon's menu is in
> english).

Because I start believing the tray icon doesn't look in the right place. If it's using EN instead of DE, then it fell back to the default value because it wasn't able to read your configuration file. Both symptoms sound as if SqueezeTry was looking in the wrong place.

Could you please tell me where that .url file and server.prefs are stored on your system?

--

Michael

guenther
2008-05-31, 20:49
The url file is stored in
C:\Dokumente und Einstellungen\All Users\Anwendungsdaten\SqueezeCenter\

server.prefs are stored in
C:\Dokumente und Einstellungen\All Users\Anwendungsdaten\SqueezeCenter\prefs\

But SqueezeTray looks for the url file in C:\Programme\SqueezeCenter\server\

I installed SqueezeCenter with the default settings!

--
Guenther

mherger
2008-05-31, 23:14
> The url file is stored in
> C:\Dokumente und Einstellungen\All
> Users\Anwendungsdaten\SqueezeCenter\
> But SqueezeTray looks for the url file in
> C:\Programme\SqueezeCenter\server\

That means SqueezeTray doesn't find or cannot access the following registry key:
LocalMachine/Software/Microsoft/Windows/CurrentVersion/Explorer/Shell Folders/Common AppData

Can you (using the same user account) find this key in the registry? Where does it point to?

Also, what does the environment variable "ProgramData" say? (run "SET" in a command window)

--

Michael

guenther
2008-06-01, 01:04
Common AppData points to
C:\Dokumente und Einstellungen\All Users\Anwendungsdaten

There is no environment variable "ProgramData" (ProgramFiles=C:\Programme)

--

Guenther

mherger
2008-06-01, 06:28
> Common AppData points to
> C:\Dokumente und Einstellungen\All Users\Anwendungsdaten

That's what I expected it to be. But why doesn't SqueezeTray use it? No limitation accessing that key? I'm stumped :-(.

--

Michael

guenther
2008-06-02, 00:49
All users (Benutzer) have read permission on Shell Folders. The user "ga" is not explicitly listed.

--
Guenther

mherger
2008-06-18, 07:05
Everybody - I need your help. Could you please give me the following pieces of information:

- Windows version (incl. service pack if possible)

- result of "set" run in a DOS Window (you can redirect its output to a text file by using "set > set.txt" and upload that file if you prefer)

- result of 'reg "query HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Exp lorer\Shell Folders\Common AppData"' run in a DOS Window

(Darn... don't know why this forum insists in having a space in the above "Explorer" - there's none! Please remove it...)

Thanks a lot!

guenther
2008-06-19, 04:01
Windows version:
XP Home Edition Version 5.1 (Build 2600.xpsp.080413-2111 : Service Pack 3)

result of "set":
ALLUSERSPROFILE=C:\Dokumente und Einstellungen\All Users
APPDATA=C:\Dokumente und Einstellungen\ga\Anwendungsdaten
CommonProgramFiles=C:\Programme\Gemeinsame Dateien
COMPUTERNAME=M662
ComSpec=C:\WINDOWS\system32\cmd.exe
FP_NO_HOST_CHECK=NO
HOMEDRIVE=C:
HOMEPATH=\Dokumente und Einstellungen\ga
LOGONSERVER=\\M662
NUMBER_OF_PROCESSORS=1
OS=Windows_NT
Path=C:\WINDOWS\system32;C:\WINDOWS;C:\WINDOWS\Sys tem32\Wbem;C:\Programme\Samsung\Samsung PC Studio 3\
PATHEXT=.COM;.EXE;.BAT;.CMD;.VBS;.VBE;.JS;.JSE;.WS F;.WSH
PROCESSOR_ARCHITECTURE=x86
PROCESSOR_IDENTIFIER=x86 Family 6 Model 14 Stepping 8, GenuineIntel
PROCESSOR_LEVEL=6
PROCESSOR_REVISION=0e08
ProgramFiles=C:\Programme
PROMPT=$P$G
SESSIONNAME=Console
SystemDrive=C:
SystemRoot=C:\WINDOWS
TEMP=C:\DOKUME~1\ga\LOKALE~1\Temp
TMP=C:\DOKUME~1\ga\LOKALE~1\Temp
USERDOMAIN=M662
USERNAME=ga
USERPROFILE=C:\Dokumente und Einstellungen\ga
windir=C:\WINDOWS

result of "reg query HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Exp lorer\Shell Folders\Common AppData":
Fehler: Ungültige Befehlszeilenparameter
(Explorer without space!)

---
Guenther

mherger
2008-06-19, 04:22
result of "reg query HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Exp lorer\Shell Folders\Common AppData":
Fehler: Ungültige Befehlszeilenparameter
(Explorer without space!)

Oops, the "HKLM\....\Common AppData" should be put in apostrophes (see my edited posting). Thanks!

guenther
2008-06-19, 04:41
result of
"reg query HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Exp lorer\Shell Folders\Common AppData":
Das System kann den angegebenen Pfad nicht finden.

---
Guenther

barnabas79
2008-06-25, 13:12
Just as a hint for others - I had to format reg query command as:

reg query "HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Exp lorer\Shell Folders" /v "Common AppData"

rather than
reg "query HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Exp lorer\Shell Folders\Common AppData"

as requested - perhaps a differnce in version of the reg shell command? I know I ran into some problems with that once...

**Edit - it is weird how the space gets inserted into 'Explorer'... disregard that**

guenther
2008-06-25, 21:10
Thanks, barnabas79! This command shows the correct path:

reg query "HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Exp lorer\Shell Folders" /v "Common AppData"

! REG.EXE VERSION 3.0
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Curr entVersion\Explorer\Shell Folders Common AppData
REG_SZ C:\Dokumente und Einstellungen\All Users\Anwendungsdaten

---
Guenther

mherger
2008-06-26, 05:27
Thanks all for the feedback!

After looking into what was causing this issue, I realised that the code in question was unnecessary. Some remnants from a few years back... So I removed it. Please update to the latest SC build (7.1 only for now) and let me know whether you still see this error message.

guenther
2008-06-26, 17:45
I updated to SC 7.1-21178 and the error message has gone.
So far... :)

---
Guenther