PDA

View Full Version : Add Radio stations to SqueezeCenter?

kimballhouse
2008-05-26, 16:49
This is half question and half suggestion. It seems awkward to have to switch between the Squeezecenter (SC) and the Squeezenetwork (SN) by going through settings >> Music Source. I am using ethernet connected components and this pokey, at best. It would be helpful to make the Duet Controller interface more clearly indicate to which source one is connected, such as a different background color or a unique header title. Perhaps a future configuration could avoid switching between the sources entirely.

In addition, I would think that one should be able to add internet radio station presets to SC 'Internet Radio', but as far as I can figure out they can only be added to Favorites. Moreover I can't locate a succinct description of how to add a radio station to Favorites that that is not already on the Internet Radio suggestions shipped with the device. Is there a clear description of this process? I can add internet URLs to Squeezenetwork, but not SqueezeCenter. Conversely, for the few internet radio stations on SC Favorites, I cannot figure out how to view the URL in order to copy them on the SqueezeNetwork.

My needs are simple: Music library on FLAC files and some internet radio station presets. I appreciate that the system will work with paid subscription Music Services, but somehow I can't help feeling that the basic functions should be simpler.

If anyone can explain how I should best approach radio stations I would be most appreciative.

mherger
2008-05-26, 23:39
> This is half question and half suggestion. It seems awkward to have to
> switch between the Squeezecenter (SC) and the Squeezenetwork (SN) by
> going through settings >> Music Source.

You don't have to switch. You can access all SN services from within SC directly.

As for the location of that menu: in 7.1 you'll be able to customize your main menu, adding that menu item to the main menu, if you want.

> In addition, I would think that one should be able to add internet
> radio station presets to SC 'Internet Radio', but as far as I can
> figure out they can only be added to Favorites.

This, too, is being discussed for 7.1. See
http://bugs.slimdevices.com/show_bug.cgi?id=6669

> Moreover I can't
> locate a succinct description of how to add a radio station to
> Favorites that that is not already on the Internet Radio suggestions
> shipped with the device.

In the web UI you have a heart icon with every item which can be stored to the favorites. Just press it. On Controller, press the center button when on that item, and you should get a menu from which you can add it to the favorites.

If this isn't enough yet, go to the favorites menu in the web ui, where you can add title/url manually.

--

Michael

toby10
2008-05-27, 04:48
> ......If this isn't enough yet, go to the favorites menu in the web ui, where you can add title/url manually.
Michael

And using this suggestion you can create an entire separate folder on SC7 for your Radio favorites, even adding sub-folders (like Genres) within your Favorites > Radio folder. Then there is no switching between SC and SN, it's all on SC. :)

slydog75
2008-05-27, 05:36
Moreover I can't locate a succinct description of how to add a radio station to Favorites that that is not already on the Internet Radio suggestions shipped with the device. Is there a clear description of this process? I can add internet URLs to Squeezenetwork, but not SqueezeCenter. Conversely, for the few internet radio stations on SC Favorites, I cannot figure out how to view the URL in order to copy them on the SqueezeNetwork.

What type of radio stations are you looking for? Internet versions of local OTA stations? I've found every single station I listen to locally via the RadioTime plug-in. You can search for stations by City and then add the results to your favorites.

Again, keep in mind that there is no reason to swtich between SqueezeCenter and SqueezeNetwork. Once you are connected to SqueezeCenter you allready have access to SqueezeNetwork via SqueezeCenter. The only reason to switch would be if you wanted to turn off the computer running SqueezeCenter. Then you would switch to the SqueezeNetwork connection.

kimballhouse
2008-05-27, 18:52
And using this suggestion you can create an entire separate folder on SC7 for your Radio favorites, even adding sub-folders (like Genres) within your Favorites > Radio folder. Then there is no switching between SC and SN, it's all on SC. :)

Thanks all. Had no idea that one did not need to switch between SC and SN.

lhmperth
2008-05-27, 20:23
I have solved this problem by creating a file containing a playlist of the radio stations I listen to and then placing the playlist in SqueezeCentre's playlist directory. You can go a step further by making a playlist of different station types. For example, an R'n'B radio station playlist containing a list of R'n'B stations you like to listen to, a classical music station playlist, etc.

I then go into the Music Library, then Playlists and there are my radio stations. I know it is a little odd to have my radio stations in the Music Library, but it seems to work fine.