PDA

View Full Version : Tags Flac

sharper9
2008-05-26, 06:14
Hi

I have a problem with tags AGAIN. I have my AC/DC albums tagged under AC/DC in mp3tag. In my AZ "BROWSE ARTIST" on my slimserver I have "AC DC" "AC/DC" & "ACDC" being displayed. Help

Also what should be the settings on Mp3tag for Flac users?

Tags do leave me totally confused

Skunk
2008-05-26, 09:25
I don't know if there are any specific settings that would help, but in this situation I would select all the tracks in Mp3tag, right click, and choose 'remove tag'. Then you can use Tag Sources to re-tag. Mp3tag will add only FLAC tags, which should eliminate stray ID3 tags, and the double-listing in SC. At least I think so...

amcluesent
2008-05-26, 12:05
Also, highlight all the files in mp3tag and use Ctrl-T to open the Extended Tag Panel and check for unwanted entries.

sharper9
2008-05-27, 03:26
thx

Although I have told mp3tag to remove all ID3 tags it doesn't? Is this a bug?

Skunk
2008-05-27, 05:30
thx

Although I have told mp3tag to remove all ID3 tags it doesn't? Is this a bug?

The first thing you may want to do is figure out where they're coming from. If you rip with EAC you can go to compression options and uncheck all ID3 tag options. Do you use Media Monkey or anything else to manage your library, or any SC plugins? BTW, You may have to do a clear and rescan in SC for changes to show up.

The wiki on Mp3Tag may help, it even has a section on deleting ID3v1, but I'm not sure if it was written with FLAC users in mind because I don't think you want the ID3v2 tags in FLAC files either: http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.php/Mp3tagGuide

Here is how I have Mp3tag set up, but I'd welcome any suggestions from more experienced users.

If you go to Tools>Options>Tags>Mpeg, you should be able to check the box to remove ID3v1, ID3v2, and Ape tags. You can also check the boxes to not write ID3 or ape tags. After clearing tags and using the FreeDB tag source, I end up with only FLAC tags, which I assume are Vorbis comments.

JJZolx
2008-05-27, 06:13
I have a problem with tags AGAIN. I have my AC/DC albums tagged under AC/DC in mp3tag. In my AZ "BROWSE ARTIST" on my slimserver I have "AC DC" "AC/DC" & "ACDC" being displayed. Help

It's possible, as Skunk suggests, that you have ID3v2 tags in some of your Flac files. Or, you just might have some ARTIST values that don't all match.

I recommend adding a Tags column to the columns display in Mp3tag. Right-click anywhere in the columns headers and select 'Customize columns...'. then hit the 'New' button. Name it 'Tags', set the Value to '%_tag%', leave 'Field' and 'Sort by' blank. Use the 'Move up/down' buttons to move the new column to the top (leftmost) position.

After you've done this, EAC will diplay 'FLAC' in the Tags column. Those files with both FLAC and ID3v2 tags will display 'FLAC ID3v2'. You should only have to worry about those that have errant ID3v2 tags. Select the bad files, then do a Control-R (deleting all tags) and then a Control-Z (pasting only the FLAC tags back in).

Also what should be the settings on Mp3tag for Flac users?

There aren't any configurable Flac settings in Mp3tag.

sharper9
2008-05-27, 06:55
Thx guys

I'm now getting a protection error "cannot write to" or something like that, on my Qnap music drive if I try and change the tags as suggested. I know it ctrl -R then -Z works fine as I've tried it on my backup music directory on a my USB Lacie.

This a first never had a problem like this before.

Skunk
2008-05-27, 14:51
I recommend adding a Tags column to the columns display in Mp3tag. Right-click anywhere in the columns headers and select 'Customize columns...'. then hit the 'New' button. Name it 'Tags', set the Value to '%_tag%', leave 'Field' and 'Sort by' blank. Use the 'Move up/down' buttons to move the new column to the top (leftmost) position.

After you've done this, EAC will diplay 'FLAC' in the Tags column. Those files with both FLAC and ID3v2 tags will display 'FLAC ID3v2'. You should only have to worry about those that have errant ID3v2 tags. Select the bad files, then do a Control-R (deleting all tags) and then a Control-Z (pasting only the FLAC tags back in).

I'm thinking you mean 'After you've done this, Mp3Tag will display FLAC in the tags column'. My version of Mp3T had a Tags column by default, but has a value of %_tag_read%[(%_tag%)]. I assume it's the same.

I'd like to paraphrase your instructions to the Mp3Tag wiki i linked earlier though, if you don't mind, especially the ctrl+r + ctrl+z method. All of the info there now is pretty misleading for FLAC users, IMO, so it probably needs more work than just that. Or maybe a small sub-section for FLAC?

JJZolx
2008-05-27, 16:22
I'm thinking you mean 'After you've done this, Mp3Tag will display FLAC in the tags column'.

Yep, thanks.

My version of Mp3T had a Tags column by default, but has a value of %_tag_read%[(%_tag%)]. I assume it's the same.

That must have been added at some point. From the documentation:

%_tag% Available tag types in file
%_tag_read% Displayed tag type

I'd like to paraphrase your instructions to the Mp3Tag wiki i linked earlier though, if you don't mind, especially the ctrl+r + ctrl+z method. All of the info there now is pretty misleading for FLAC users, IMO, so it probably needs more work than just that. Or maybe a small sub-section for FLAC?

Sure. Probably no need to explain creating the Tags column if it's now standard.

Nonreality
2008-05-27, 17:03
The first thing you may want to do is figure out where they're coming from. If you rip with EAC you can go to compression options and uncheck all ID3 tag options. Do you use Media Monkey or anything else to manage your library, or any SC plugins? BTW, You may have to do a clear and rescan in SC for changes to show up.

The wiki on Mp3Tag may help, it even has a section on deleting ID3v1, but I'm not sure if it was written with FLAC users in mind because I don't think you want the ID3v2 tags in FLAC files either: http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.php/Mp3tagGuide

Here is how I have Mp3tag set up, but I'd welcome any suggestions from more experienced users.

If you go to Tools>Options>Tags>Mpeg, you should be able to check the box to remove ID3v1, ID3v2, and Ape tags. You can also check the boxes to not write ID3 or ape tags. After clearing tags and using the FreeDB tag source, I end up with only FLAC tags, which I assume are Vorbis comments.

The setup you show here is not right. This is for files that use IDv3.2 tags your Mp3 files mainly. In this example you are reading all the tags but anything you change isn't going to write to any tag. Plus if you remove tags you're going to remove all your tags. You should have ID3.2 checked in the write section and unchecked in the bottom. That way if you remove tags you'll leave the 3.2 and if you change tags you'll only write 3.2's. The box that says Ape is for files like monkeys audio and musepack (sp) that use ape tags and can use other ID3 tags.

Also: I think thats an older version of Mp3tag, if it is you should upgrade to 2.41

Skunk
2008-05-27, 18:43
In this example you are reading all the tags but anything you change isn't going to write to any tag. Plus if you remove tags you're going to remove all your tags. You should have ID3.2 checked in the write section and unchecked in the bottom. That way if you remove tags you'll leave the 3.2 and if you change tags you'll only write 3.2's.

It should still write Vorbis comments (even though ID3 is unchecked), which is the only thing Mp3Tag will write to a FLAC file AFAIK. That's why JJZ's method of cutting and pasting works, because it removes all tags, but only writes Vorbis.

I don't think my settings are wrong, because the settings should be of no consequence to FLAC files.

Nonreality
2008-05-27, 18:55
Oh sorry I didn't know you were only using it only for flac. If a person is using for mp3 and flac you can have it the way I said because you can't write ID3.2 to flac as far as I know. That way you don't have to change it back and forth.

Skunk
2008-05-28, 16:59
Oh sorry I didn't know you were only using it only for flac. If a person is using for mp3 and flac you can have it the way I said because you can't write ID3.2 to flac as far as I know. That way you don't have to change it back and forth.

No problem. That makes sense about not switching between settings, especially since the settings don't matter for FLAC anyway. Sorry for the waste of bandwidth and everyone please disregard my proposed settings.

But TBH I'm still not sure Mp3T will see/remove ID3v1 tags in FLAC files no matter what the settings. According to some older posts from the developer on their forum it won't, but i didn't see any recent info, and I can't upgrade beyond 2.39 on Win2k to test. EAC doesn't seem to write Id3 1 or 2 to FLAC anymore, even if the boxes in compression settings are checked for it, so that hindered testing as well.

I updated the mp3Tag wiki even though I'm not sure, so feel free to correct anything everyone.